Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Found another sound I want to re-create, the bubbly (probably chorused) lead 2m48s into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7itqjWKbU4

Any immediate clues come to mind? Wish my EA1 was cool enough to replicate it.

Try a square wave, FM modulated, with portamento enabled (edit: actually not sure if that's correct but listen to the youtube below). I think the default preset in the Pro53 VSTi is quite close to what you want.

edit: this sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVw5EaWHovc

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

goatmouth posted:

hey yall, i could use some help.

Is there any reason, with this thor setup, that only oscillator 1 should be making noise? If I turn osc 1 off and press a key no sound comes out of oscillator 2. i've tried anything i can think of, but i'm sure it's something stupidly simple. help!

Try adjusting OSC1 pulse width.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

goatmouth posted:

Well, I figured out that I needed to do that to make osc1 make pretty noises, but I'm really concerned with why osc2 isn't working. Thanks for the tip though..it took me a minute to figure that out too.

Whoops, I completely misread your question, I thought you were asking why, when you turned OSC2 off, OSC1 wouldn't be playing anything. Haha, sorry.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

tylertfb posted:

by turning a playstation 2 on!

Okay but how do you do it digitally

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Wouldn't a square wave be the better bet to simulate a human voice?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Vibrato on a chord, that's all

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That's not necessarily the same though. Pitch LFO on single OSCs is calibrated so that the same amount of bend gives you the same amount of cents on every note, while when you're putting vibrato on a chord after the fact, it moves everything up and down by the same amount of frequency changes. For example, a heavy pitch bend of 2 half notes is like 3Hz at bass frequencies but more like 30Hz in lead synth ranges. If you apply the vibrato to the individual notes in a chord in the synth, they will bend to the same relative point musically (C minus two half notes will always become B flat, sometimes changing the frequency by a little, sometimes by a lot), changing the relationship of frequencies within the chord. If you apply vibrato on the whole chord one step later in the chain, the chord retains its specific frequency ratios between individual notes. That means that it will lose some of its musicality, and it will sound different.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

KaosPV posted:

What do you mean with using a track as a "carrier signal" for a compressor?

Side-chaining, would be my guess

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
To add to this: When you use distortion, distort L and R with separate fx (and use something with a certain randomness so that you don't end up with mono anyway)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Can anyone tell me how to make this crappy bass/synth pad line?

http://www.industrialstrengthrecords.com/samplepacks/BrokenRulesPack_v1.html
Demo 4

Using Ableton

FM or Ring Modulation probably.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

Don't laugh -- how do I get this guitar tone - what kind of distortion is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkfq3F-664

I know it's enormously synthesized - compressed, chorus, dunno. But the distortion - it was pretty common in the late 80's on cheese pop songs... and I still wish I knew how to get it. Active pickups? lovely mics?

I count at least 4 different tones in that video...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

Say what really?

Whoops, cursory listen is cursory. Sorry :)

Noodly solo guitar, distorted powerchords in the chorus, what I thought was a clean tone is an e-piano really, and those low notes were the bass, not a guitar.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it's an LFO on the Filter Cutoff, with another LFO controlling LFO1's rate.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like a combination of a bass with a lion's roar

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Experiment with AM and RingMod.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Cleaner posted:

Can anyone recommend some good techniques or plug-ins for creating a "stadium crowd" chant effect over vocals?

Obviously I don't have access to an actual massive crowd of people to record singing. I've been writing and mixing some hip-hop and one particular track I'd like to get a "crowd" to chant the lyrics in the background over the vocalists chorus.

I've tried recording a dozen takes of myself yelling the chorus and mixing them together and pitch shifting/chorus effect/huge reverb... but it really isn't working well. Is there any better methods or tricks for this?

Recordings of actual crowds. There are tons of sample CDs that have something like this. Standard for many "hardcore/gabba/hands-up" style sample packs, too. (And then pitch shifting those I guess.)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Rakshas posted:

resonating

Where's that Duck Hunt Dog when you need him.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I'm not really a musician so I'm not looking for any software specifics for how this sound is made, but I'd love if someone could explain how this really short popping staccato drum (?) effect is achieved. Kicks in at ~10s. I love the effect but its mysterious origins drive me nuts.

The clip in question: http://www.zshare.net/audio/965183599ea7c296/

The sound is simply triggered with 32nd timing.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can make deep chords in just a synth, not a problem. Just take a pluck patch, play a chord somewhere in the lower octaves, low-pass heavily and play around with bitcrusher, reverb, delay etc. to flavour it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
FM8 is pretty much the polar opposite of analog modular. FM is nothing like subtractive synthesis...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sounds really simple, as in saw wave, volume env with fast attack mid decay, low sustain, low release; lowpass filter with env (fast attack, fast release, 0 sustain). If you need more attack you can put a quick envelope on the pitch (about the same as the filter, maybe a little shorter)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm currently producing a soundbank for Massive. What do you guys look for in a bank?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

I am the M00N posted:

I was wondering if you know any free vst programs I can use for distortion?

Here are some of the ones I use:

Subtle: FerricTDS
Simple: IVGI
Tape: Ferox
Sound Quality: Timemachine
M/S processing: Rescue Mk II
Amp: Thrillseeker VBL
Exciter: Thrillseeker XTC
Combfilter: BoomComb
Glitch: SupaTrigga
Saturation (and much more): NastyVCS
Phase/Distortion: SupaPhaser
Stereo Overdrive: UpStereo
Dynamics tool that can be abused for distortion: Limiter6

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Play deeper notes :) An EQ hole in the high mids helps to get that heavy metal sound.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You can probably find that XM somewhere on the net and rip the exact sample he used.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
If you find yourself having to adjust for a shrillness in EVERYTHING, regardless of its source, it may pay to check your monitoring situation.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Or it could be room resonances.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

SaucyLoggins posted:

I think someone actually asked about a similar sound in this thread before but I can't seem to find it. It's been in a lot of UK songs for the past few years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKh9BedNVR8 at 59secs.

It sounds to me like a couple saw waves at different octaves played in a chord with some subtle phase modulation and a ton of unison and a slow attack and rising lowpass filter maybe? I just can't seem to get to get it right on though so maybe I'm missing something.

Try a single saw wave osc (no unison), rising volume and vibrato.

edit: playing lots of notes, with the vibrato synced. If your synth doesn't do that, record it without vibrato and apply vibrato to the sampled line.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 4, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

BKPR posted:

This feels like it should be an easy one, but it's giving me a hard time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ-baSbryTc

The synth line that starts right at the beginning of this track. Played around in Alchemy for a while trying to match it but there's something I'm not getting.

Take a square wave, filter-envelope it into a pluck and waveshape the gently caress out of it. That may work.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

HaB posted:

This thread is insane. I can't believe some of the poo poo you guys are able to recreate.

I need help with 2 sounds.

First sound: probably a simple square wave with a bit of white noise, high- and lowpassed together and possibly with a slight, slow vibrato. make sure the volume envelope is a perfect gate, without ramp-up (the sudden start is what can produce those clicks)

Not sure what you mean in the second example... if it's the low slide-whistle, that could be approximated with a sinewave with a narrow, pitch-synced bandpass, overlayed with soft bright noise (think ffffffff instead of SHHHHHH). The signature here is in the portamento (also called glide in some synths) - set it to a relatively high value so that the notes slide into each other.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Popcorn posted:

How can I recreate the super-detuned dreamy synth sound at the start of Loving You (Original Version) by Michael Jackson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJS5PBgF8is

That's a typical FM E-Piano, should be available as a preset in any FM synth. I don't think there's a lot of detuning going on in the patch itself, it sounds more like a very slow but pretty severe vibrato, like a warped record.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ianfx posted:

Does anyone have ideas on how to synthesize bee sounds? Buzzing/etc. I could just find a sample but it would be cooler to synthesize what I want.

Think about how the sound of a bee works: it's a certain number of wing beats per second. Find out how fast a bee beats its wings, then think about how single beat would sound, and repeat at the bee's wing beat frequency.

I'm thinking it may work with a noise as the base sound, and a bandpass modulated at a bee's wing frequency, in a shape somewhere between sine and square.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a highly resonant bandpass over some noise, overdriven and clipped to all hell, with a gate sidechained to the non-hihat drums. The bp frequency is automated, perhaps randomly upon each drum hit.

edit: Yup. 3 minute sketch over one of my beats: https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/lcratchytest/s-al5RK

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 22, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I set the bandpass frequency to change randomly every 3/16th note. The rhythmic pattern is completely driven by the volume of my drum track, via the gate's sidechain input. The input noise is a continuous sound with no dropouts.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

I used the LFO on the auto filter for this.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 24, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's pretty much impossible to tell anything about that bass sound from this particular recording. A little about the volume env, a little about the portamento amount, and then there's nothing else that could be heard from that video with any accuracy.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

zeldadude posted:

Sorry, I should've just linked the song. Here's the final product, you can hear the bass better.
Freddie Joachim - Let's Go Down: https://youtu.be/l06HI7GI9bg

But thanks dude, I'll give it a shot!

If it was done with the Arturia minimoog V vst, try the K.U. Sin preset.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Gravybong posted:

How do I get in the ballpark of the uh..."sticky" sounding synth that comes in during the verse of this song (WARNING HOLY HELL IS THIS VIDEO :nws:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RvMBo0e6PY :nws: around :28 seconds in, drops out for the chorus, and comes back in at 1:28? It sounds like its simpler than I think it is and I'm just not applying my filters right in Logic's ES2.

once again good lord don't watch that video anywhere you wouldn't want to get caught eating rear end.

I was a bit of a challenge getting this to play in Germany :)

You're in luck, it is indeed a very simple sound: a single saw osc with a simple 2-pole (12dB) lowpass filter envelope, adjust resonance for stickyness. Pretty much the simplest thing a subtractive synth can do ;)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'd try something like a noise with heavy tremolo, a resonant bandpass for getting the tone, put a damped, 100% wet reverb on it as an insert (so only the reverb is played and not the original sound).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Why not where you posted?

• Locked thread