Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dozer_d11
Apr 1, 2004

mahnaa _ mahnaa

DOOKIE ROPES YO posted:

Are you looking for OEM parts or aftermarket mods?

For OEM parts, I've always used https://www.powersportspro.com. They have Honda 'fiche going back more than a few generations, and are pretty good with pricing. Also, you can get the part number from their site and call around to local shops to find out if they are really raping you.

Mostly OEM, the bike seems in good shape and the guy wasn't too mechanical, had a fetish for zap-straps for some reason. What I need is left crank cover/gasket, kill switch, drive chain guide, stuff like that (oh yeah fork seals too). Thanks to you and z3n for the reply, I'll use your link and price match the local shops, they might be close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
I had my bike up for sale a while back and got this e-mail:

Email posted:

i saw your add on craigs and i wanted to know if you'd consider renting/leasing me your bike over the winter months, nov, dec, jan- i'm just wrapping up a promo tour for toyota and will be spending the off season in monterey starting nov 1st- i'm planning on going back on the road in feb to do a tour so i don't really want to buy a new bike and then have to turn around and sell it or store it afterwards when i leave again. i've been riding for 20+ years and really don't want to ship/ride my bike from wyoming so i'm reaching out to sellers on here to see if they'd be interested in loaning it out for a while- i'd be willing to pay up to 300 a month + the cost of full coverage on the motorcycle- i've done this before in other off seasons and would like to do it again- let me know what you think and get back to me when you can-

I decided to keep my bike, but if I needed some spare cash how good of an idea is this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Logite posted:

I had my bike up for sale a while back and got this e-mail:

I decided to keep my bike, but if I needed some spare cash how good of an idea is this?

Are you honestly asking how good of an idea it is to lease a bike to a stranger?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
To make a short, painful story shorter my GS500E fell off its kickstand while warming up, partially engaged my center stand on the way down, and forced my handlebar to take the full weight of the bike. The clutch lever bent completely in half and snapped off. No matter how hard I pull on the cable it no longer disengages the clutch. The side of the bars that fell may also be slightly bent. I had been planning on replacing the clutch anyway, so it's not that terrible.

So, though I've been reading everything I can online, how daunting will this be? It doesn't look too bad, but I'm wondering what curveballs the cable being messed up is going to throw at me. What do I need exactly? So far I have friction plates/clutch plates/fiber plates/whatever and a new lever on my list. Short of maybe a spring what else should I be picking up? The bike was shifting fine, just slipping, so I doubt the clutch basket needs to be replaced or anything. How daunting is this going to be? Any and all advice or wisdom you may have would be welcome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It'll be easy. Take a shop manual, take your time, don't overtorque the cover bolts, and it's pie. At worst, you may have hosed up the actuator shaft somehow, but I doubt it. If you have to order a new part, your bike may be down for awhile, while you wait for the part to show up, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Bob Sapp Please posted:

I had a '86 Rebel as my first bike. Paid $100 for it, sold it 6 months later for $700, but it was not in the condition that one is. Dead simple to work on and fairly reliable, but you will get bored drat fast. It's slow, but it will turn like crazy.

There are some downfalls. The '85-'87 Rebels had a really lovely headlight that I don't think you can get a new bulb for unless you fork out a lot. 35 watts of fury.

Riding with a passenger on that thing would be a deathwish.

Sounds like what I'm looking for :)

I'm going to meet with the guy in a few hours, hopefully I can talk him down in price and have a new bike to show off to AI.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

It'll be easy. Take a shop manual, take your time, don't overtorque the cover bolts, and it's pie. At worst, you may have hosed up the actuator shaft somehow, but I doubt it. If you have to order a new part, your bike may be down for awhile, while you wait for the part to show up, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Considering that the bike is down regardless and the clutch cable, despite seemingly having tension, is not disengaging the clutch so I can't even roll it into the garage I'd say that's not my main concern. :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Considering that the bike is down regardless and the clutch cable, despite seemingly having tension, is not disengaging the clutch so I can't even roll it into the garage I'd say that's not my main concern. :)

I just happen to have a GS Twins shop manual lying around (don't ask). What year is your bike?

When you get all your pieces and parts together and are ready to go, let me know and I'll scan the relevant pages for you.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

DOOKIE ROPES YO posted:

I just happen to have a GS Twins shop manual lying around (don't ask). What year is your bike?

When you get all your pieces and parts together and are ready to go, let me know and I'll scan the relevant pages for you.

!!!

It's a '94.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
You're in luck, mine covers GS Twins from 89-97.

When I get home from work I'll check the garage. If it's not there, then my friend (who actually owns a 96 GS500E) has it. If that's the case, I'll get it from him this weekend.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

It's a '94.
And the motor didn't fundamentally change from 1977 through 2007.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heres a question. The Bandit doesnt have a clock, and this bugs me. I see plenty of stick-on battery operated clocks. Those are all well and good, but I do a significant amount of night riding.

What I want, and I know this is asking alot, is a clock with a backlight powered by the bike that would go on and off with the ignition.

Does such an animal exist?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Yes, but they're usually integrated with voltmeters and thermometers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

Yes, but they're usually integrated with voltmeters and thermometers.

Thats fine, actually, as long as I can leave it in clock mode and have the backlight come on when I turn the key.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Yeah, the instrument panel for the Super Sherpa.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

Heres a question. The Bandit doesnt have a clock, and this bugs me. I see plenty of stick-on battery operated clocks. Those are all well and good, but I do a significant amount of night riding.

What I want, and I know this is asking alot, is a clock with a backlight powered by the bike that would go on and off with the ignition.

Yes. Set up a relay box like I linked to earlier and find a backlit watch that'll take 12vs. I'd recommend a bicycle computer, actually, because it'll probably be cheap and easy to come by.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Yes. Set up a relay box like I linked to earlier and find a backlit watch that'll take 12vs. I'd recommend a bicycle computer, actually, because it'll probably be cheap and easy to come by.

I'm actually going to buy the parts for the relay junction box at radio shack today.

Phy posted:

Yeah, the instrument panel for the Super Sherpa.

What now?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not really what you're looking for and I'm being a dink by mentioning it, basically. But this has a digital instrument panel, no tach, but it does have a clock mode. I really miss that clock mode.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I only got my new bike last week ( drz ) but it looks like I may not have a car to drive to work for a few days. It's got about 350 kms on it so far , but the problem is that I have to leave early in ylthe morning so I won't be able to warm it up for a few minutes like a normally do.

Is getting on and rideng away at all possible without the engine not broken in yet? There's no highways and it's about a 5minute ride up a decently sized hill.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Dubs posted:

I only got my new bike last week ( drz ) but it looks like I may not have a car to drive to work for a few days. It's got about 350 kms on it so far , but the problem is that I have to leave early in ylthe morning so I won't be able to warm it up for a few minutes like a normally do.

Is getting on and rideng away at all possible without the engine not broken in yet? There's no highways and it's about a 5minute ride up a decently sized hill.

That's a bullet-proof engine. You should be fine, just try and vary your RPMs up.

relaxzguy
Feb 12, 2008
all business
I bought a 1982 Suzuki GS750E with 29k on it, knowing nothing about bikes. It hasn't been ridden in about 3 weeks according to the past owner. When I first got it, it wouldn't start at all, completely dead. Intermittent power to the lights and starter button -- I replaced one of the fuse clips which was completely corroded, seems to be working fine now. Next, the starter motor wouldn't turn at all, the solenoid worked, but the engine didn't turn. I was worried that the starter was hosed, but opening it up, it looks like the lead to the starter motor is just really corroded, I was able to get it to turn by manually hooking up 12V to it. Engine still wouldn't start though. So, questions:

1) What would be a good way to clean the contacts for the lead to the starter? I'm going to get replacement washers and nut, but I need to clean the actual bolt coming out of the motor. Anything that I could apply to it to derust it without having to remove the whole thing?

2) What should I check next? I'm guessing spark plugs/carb if the starter's turning but the engine's still not starting.

3) What maintenance should I do once I get the bike running? I was thinking chain lube, brake pads, fork pressures. Anything else important?

4) The turn signals blink intermittently. Sometimes when I turn it on, the relay works, sometimes it doesn't and they stay constantly lit. Is this indicative of any specific problem or just indicative of the general voodoo state of this bike's electrical system?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

relaxzguy posted:

1) What would be a good way to clean the contacts for the lead to the starter? I'm going to get replacement washers and nut, but I need to clean the actual bolt coming out of the motor. Anything that I could apply to it to derust it without having to remove the whole thing?

2) What should I check next? I'm guessing spark plugs/carb if the starter's turning but the engine's still not starting.

3) What maintenance should I do once I get the bike running? I was thinking chain lube, brake pads, fork pressures. Anything else important?

4) The turn signals blink intermittently. Sometimes when I turn it on, the relay works, sometimes it doesn't and they stay constantly lit. Is this indicative of any specific problem or just indicative of the general voodoo state of this bike's electrical system?

1. A little sandpaper works great for this. Failing that get a small nail file.

2. Clean out the carbs thoroughly and you'll probably be fine. If you do the plugs make sure you gap them correctly to the factory specs.

3. Fork oil, transmission/crankcase oil, chain, check the tires, lube any points that have a grease fitting.

3. Probably a bad flasher unit. Mine are doing exactly this right now and its definitely the flasher unit as I can get them to blink if I tap the flasher with a screwdriver.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dropped my KLR a couple of times two weeks ago, both were offroad, zero-speed fuckups. Once on each side. (I'm dealing with replacing the plastics and have ordered some crashbars. God I wish IMS made a tank for the 2nd-gens, or at least that there were cheap 3rd-party panels) Since then I've noticed a weird-rear end vibration through my footpegs at about 15 kph: it alternates. One peg will vibrate for a bit, then the other side.

It's not engine-related, far as I can tell, as it still happens when I clutch in, the only thing that makes it happen is going 15 kph. If the vibes occur at higher speeds they're blending in to whatever the bike does normally, which is kind of a lot. The bike does have some mods that may have introduced vibration, notably a 3rd-party skidplate.

Any idea what the hell might be going on? I don't believe the wheels or brake rotors are out of true, since the bike is steady as ever at speed and under braking.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I was reading the R6 forums and a guy on there works for cycle gear and he said on the 25th of Oct. They will be offering IN STORE Pirelli Diablo's as a set for 179 bucks. You can call your local store and reserve it but it won't be on their site. It's in store only.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Noice, nearest Cycle Gear is two states away :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was reading the R6 forums and a guy on there works for cycle gear and he said on the 25th of Oct. They will be offering IN STORE Pirelli Diablo's as a set for 179 bucks. You can call your local store and reserve it but it won't be on their site. It's in store only.

It's worth noting that these are about 3 tire "generations" old now...the old school pirelli high performance tire. Still, if you just need something cheap to toss on there, or are commuting and don't haul rear end through the twisties, they'll be great. Certainly better than anything that you could get for the same price. Just don't expect them to act like a current generation set of tires.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
While we're on the subject of tires can anyone recommend me some decent tires for my bike (1978 Honda Hawk)? They'll be used mainly for commuting so I'd like to find some with decent life. The original metric sizes, which are on the bike now, are 3.60-19 front and 4.10-18 back and they're some vintage looking Dunlop things that the previous owner had put on. I'd like something a bit more modern looking and performing.

As far as I can tell I need a 100/90x19 front and a 110/90x18 rear. Searching google for these sizes pops up a ton of motocross tires, but very few road tires.

OldBikeBarn gives me the following results:

Dunlop GT501
Dunlop D404
Dunlop F24
Dunlop F11
Dunlop K627 Qualifier
Bridgestone Spitfire S11
Bridgestone Battlax (battle axe? wtf) BT45
Avon Venom Bias
Avon Roadrider AM26
Cheng Shin Marquis C833
Cheng Shin Hi-Max C907
Conti Milestone
Kenda Kruz

A bunch of these are front only, so I'm guessing that it's ok to mix front and rear brands. Any help on this would be great as I've never purchased motorcycle tires before.

greg_graffin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 8, 2008

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

What bike was it again? you don't need to buy the "exact" tires for your ride.

BT45 and Sport Demons are available in those diameters, and close to the right widths.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
It's a 1978 Honda Hawk. Does it matter if I get a bias ply vs. a radial tire?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

It's a 1978 Honda Hawk. Does it matter if I get a bias ply vs. a radial tire?

Some people say so. But both tires I recommended are bias ply. Ah, and now I see that you did list the BT45. :-) Don't mix tire brands. Feel free to go 10, or even 20mm wider on the front or rear to get a set that works.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
From quickly reading some reviews, it looks like the BT45 is a winner. Gets good treadlife while still giving good traction, and they're cheap. Have any of you goons run this tire before and can vouch for it personally?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

greg_graffin posted:

Bridgestone Battlax (battle axe? wtf) BT45

I'm sure new tyres are better than a lovely old pair, but while I have no experience with the other brands you've mentioned there, I would not recommend the BT45s. They are just a terrible tyre, with uninspiring grip and feedback - the only redeeming feature of them seems to be that Bridgestone seems willing to make them in every size combination under the sun.

Edit: I put them on a 1984 Yamaha FJ600, and my experience with them has steered me away from Bridgestone ever since.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Simkin posted:

I would not recommend the BT45s. They are just a terrible tyre, with uninspiring grip and feedback
What would you recommend instead?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty indifferent to Bridgestones. I've had Battlaxes on a few bikes, and I havent been really disappointed or impressed by them. The only tires I really hate on are Dunlops. I've never had a set that I liked.

The best tires I've ever had were the Pilot Powers on my GSXR. My Bandit has a set of Battlaxes on it currently, and I'm extremely "meh" about them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

Perelli Sport Demons are the "other" tire. The BT45's have really good tread life. The sport Demons have good tread life, and are stickier.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

greg_graffin posted:

The BT45's are the more "touring" tire in those sizes, and the Sport Demons are the more "sport" tire.

I hated dunlops when I ran 208Fs, back in teh day, but now I'm in love with the 211GPs. Sometimes a company will make a piss poor tire, but the replacement will be great. The qualifiers? drat good. 208GPs? drat good. 208Fs? Horrible. Supposedly the new bridgestone DOT race tires are drat good too. And they're making a lightweight slick for the SV's and such...

What i'm saying is...if you see a tire that's getting great reviews, don't put too much faith in what you experienced with one set of tires. I've heard of people bitching about Bridgestone, dunlop, michelin, only to learn they're running 8+ year old tires that are coming apart at the seams. :v:

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
The current tires I have are Dunlop Roadmaster TT100s, K70 in the front and K81 in the rear. They were apparently the first production tires to do the Isle of Man TT circuit at 100mph+ :cool:

They are also tube tires. Will that be a problem if I move to a tubeless tire? Thanks for all the help guys. I'll have to read up some more before I can decide between the Speed Demons and the BT45s.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

greg_graffin posted:

Cheng Shin Hi-Max C907

I'm a really cheap fucker, and had Cheng Shins put on my bike. I use my bike pretty much exclusively for running around town, but I've had no complaints with the tires. I have taken my bike up the twisty canyons a couple times and they gripped just fine. Also done 70+ on the freeway with no ill effects. I've put probably over 2k on them and they still look new. If you do any high-performance riding I would tell you to get something else, but if they're beater tires for a beater bike...?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

They are also tube tires. Will that be a problem if I move to a tubeless tire? Thanks for all the help guys. I'll have to read up some more before I can decide between the Speed Demons and the BT45s.
Sport, not speed. Tubeless tires are exactly the same as tubed tires, except they have an extra liner layer that's airtight. You can run tubless tires with tubes. I do that on the back end of both of my GS550s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Well I'm financially ready to buy a motorcycle.

89 Kawasaki Ninja

$1300.

quote:

In good shape, new tires, smooth ride, clear title 33612 miles. Just dont have time to ride it.

Here's the craiglist
http://odessa.craigslist.org/mcy/835574617.html

Any thoughts?

The whole time I was negotiating I thought it was a Ninja 250. Turns out its a Ninja 600....is this okay?

???