Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Yes. Back towards the swingarm pivot is normal, ideally pointing to the ground.

And if it is the carb overflow pointed nowhere near the exhaust, just to be on the safe side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's the drain for the bowl, so definitely don't point it onto a hot exhaust header. Shouldn't matter unless the screw works loose or you choose to loosen the drain screw though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah looks like the float bowl drain. If you turn it a quarter left it should drain your carb in a jiffy for service or winter storage but it's easier in my mind to just run it dry with the fuel valve off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah looks like the float bowl drain. If you turn it a quarter left it should drain your carb in a jiffy for service or winter storage but it's easier in my mind to just run it dry with the fuel valve off.

I've been told not to do this because it can make the float needles wear funny somehow. I don't know if this is true or not, but they provide you with a drain for one reason or another so I always just use the drain.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always leave the gas in the bowls over the winter, but drain in the spring for the first start up.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Z3n posted:

The annoying thing is that a 10 inch strip of LEDs in a waterproof case from here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm
Is like 50 bucks for one and I dont really want to spend that much. Plus I'd like something a little flatter and lower profile., and figured "how hard can it be?"

Honestly, just buy something off AliExpress, it'll cost you like ten bucks for a big reel, and if you don't like how it looks you can probably spray something on it to diffuse it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

My motorcycle keeps getting stuck in neutral when I'm at a stop, and I have to rock it forward and back until it gives and switches to first. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Don't put your bike in neutral when you come to stops.

If you must do it, let the clutch out a bit, pull it back in and your bike will shift fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sometimes I need to pick my nose or scratch my balls. ok?

And yes, those are two handed activities.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Bottom Liner posted:

My motorcycle keeps getting stuck in neutral when I'm at a stop, and I have to rock it forward and back until it gives and switches to first. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

That is a bike being a bike. No real fix except don't do what causes it to annoy you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bottom Liner posted:

Sometimes I need to pick my nose or scratch my balls. ok?

And yes, those are two handed activities.

Got to change the music on my ipod.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

First off:

Secondly, what year is it? Im assuming it isn't the older two stroke model? Assuming it's new, it's probably a carb issue, clogged pilot jet or the like

:hfive:

It's a 2013 model!

Sorry for not replying, but I've been way too busy with work. I called a friend who has had motorcycles in the past and he said "it's either your alternator or a fuse". He took a look the other night and found a dud fuse. I replaced it this evening, and all is good :)

I panicked a little too much, I feel.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

A while ago someone posted a harley parts fiche page that looked amazing. None of that octuple-photocopied grainy poo poo quality that all the others parts fiches have. Anyone still got it?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

A while ago someone posted a harley parts fiche page that looked amazing. None of that octuple-photocopied grainy poo poo quality that all the others parts fiches have. Anyone still got it?

That was me. You need any in particular, or just want to see those again?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, whatever you've got, just wanted to show them to a friend.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's what I posted last time. I have whole manuals if you want anything else specific.

Deeters posted:

Depends on what year Sportster you have.
Here's an '03

Here's an '08.

I forget what year they switched, but I'm pretty sure it was with the switch to rubber mounts in 04.

Edit: So yeah, let us know the year.

Edit 2: Whoops, that first one's for forward controls. Here's mids:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ducati part fiches are pretty good too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Got to change the music on my ipod.

Got the right track playing, need both hands free.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Chris Knight posted:

I always leave the gas in the bowls over the winter, but drain in the spring for the first start up.

That's like draining your battery in the fall, and charging it in the spring. As long as you're going to drain the carbs, do it when the fuel in the carbs is fresh. Draining in the spring is.. useless.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nerobro posted:

That's like draining your battery in the fall, and charging it in the spring. As long as you're going to drain the carbs, do it when the fuel in the carbs is fresh. Draining in the spring is.. useless.

The first owner of my bike did that draining battery thing, except....
"I bought a brand new battery, drained all the water out, and stored it. I filled it with water, but it still doesn't want to crank. It'll jump just fine."

Thanks, man. Knock off the price of a battery and we're set on this deal.

I really wonder where he drained all the "water" to.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I was going to drain them last winter, but you guys told me not to - the carbs were clean enough to eat off of when I opened them up afterwards. :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

It's not even close to being the same thing.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
When we say "drain the carbs," we mean "turn petcock to 'off' and run it 'till it dies," right?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My helmet liner currently smells like fruit roll ups, so I'm thinking it's time to wash it. Is there any particular cycle/detergent/whatever I should use? I don't want to ruin it my first time washing it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frosty- posted:

When we say "drain the carbs," we mean "turn petcock to 'off' and run it 'till it dies," right?
That's not really draining them and it does leave some gas in them. If that gas happens to be untreated ethanol gas (meaning no stabilizer in it) then I think you still could have problems, especially if you've got a small engine with a small carb with small jets.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

My helmet liner currently smells like fruit roll ups, so I'm thinking it's time to wash it. Is there any particular cycle/detergent/whatever I should use? I don't want to ruin it my first time washing it.

I did mine by hand in the sink with one of those old school soaps which smell like your grandparents' mystery kitchen cabinet. This after reading about deformed helmet liners. Not ruined perhaps, but because the liner and the fabric are so different, they shrink differently, distort and are never the same. The old school comes in handy for various other sensitive garments as well, such as my goose feather lined knitted wool codpiece.

Frosty- posted:

I guess many do, but you won't drain them completely that way. You'll just run it until it's so lean that it won't ignite, there will still be gas left in the bowl but more of the innards will be exposed to oxygen. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, I don't know. I at least can't drain 2 and 3 without decarbing the bike completely. Going by internet lore, and this is a pet peeve of mine so I am going on a minor rant, American gas seems to cause trouble when stored, mine does not. I suppose it consists of about 1/3 corn syrup with added artificial freedom flavorants and that mystery motivational stuff they usually release as jet contrails (but pipe directly into your helmet using the so-called "fuel vapor canister" :tinfoil: ). Our superior Scandinavian artisanal gas is made only from grass-fed Brontosaurii and aged in the finest depots. I've stored my bike carelessly, never drained the carbs, one winter even outdoors completely. Lord knows it's suffered and I will be happy if I ever get it started again, but not for want of free flowing carbs. Contrary to internet wisdom, the carbs have never ever gunked up with a single particle. I have gone through them four or five times since buying the bike in 2008, never found the tiniest particle in any important orifice. There were some black grimy particles in the bowl the first time I opened them, but this didn't impede gas flow one bit. So...I guess, listen to someone with relevant experience instead.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I really wonder where he drained all the "water" to.

Free contact lens cleaner!!!!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

Assuming it's a liner actually designed to be washed (which it *should* be if it's removable but check the instructions/manufacturer website to be certain) then gentle wash, medium temperature (~40 degrees C), no spin with biological detergent should do the job.

If it's not supposed to be washed you can get specific cleaners that you just spray in and leave to dry which work pretty well but don't leave it as sparkly fresh and lovely as a proper wash.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is a ninja 650 a good first bike? I have my msf. I'm 26,six feet tall and weigh about 190. I ride bicycles a lot but I've always wanted something with an engine. I want something that can hold me on the interstate, and maybe do two up around town. Is there like a comparable Honda bike to the 650? I love Honda things

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

A MIRACLE posted:

Is a ninja 650 a good first bike? I have my msf. I'm 26,six feet tall and weigh about 190. I ride bicycles a lot but I've always wanted something with an engine. I want something that can hold me on the interstate, and maybe do two up around town. Is there like a comparable Honda bike to the 650? I love Honda things

A CBR250R/CB300R does all those things, CBR500, and there are a few others over the years. Even a rebel will do the highway, but it will be at a more leisurely pace.

If you want a serious commuter seriously look at the CBR250R. Its a fantastic bike and they can be had for under 3 grand now.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's the biggest engine of the "good first bike" recommendations around here. You'll be fine as long as you stay off the throttle. The Suzuki SV 650 is another good first bike option with the same engine size.

As for Honda, have you looked into CB500f? I've never ridden it, but a friend has one and it seems like a great first bike.

edit: oh yeah duh, the cbr250. Don't be put off by the smaller engine, I am your size and ride a Ninja 250 on the highway no problem.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 22, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

The CBR500 is the comparable Honda bike, it's a fairly reasonable starter bike, as is the Ninja 650. Both are a bit bigger than the recommended Ninja 250 but the 250 probably won't do 2-up very well. You probably won't do 2-up very well either for a while though so it probably won't matter. The real issue with the CBR500 is it was introduced in 2013 so it's hard to find an appropriately old one for a first bike. You could also look at the Suzuki SV650 for a bike similar to the Ninja 650 that's pretty easy to find, or a Ninja EX500/250.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a Ninja 650 as my first bike. I'm about the same size/age as you. It's a great bike. Physically larger in size than a Ninja 250/300 (but not huge) so as a taller dude I think it's more comfortable on longer rides, and has quite a bit more oomph than a 250 without getting into supersport territory. Unless you go full retard the power is entirely predictable and manageable. Since it has more power its gearing is better suited for long highway trips than a 250/300, and still gets 55+ mpg on the highway. It's a modern, reliable EFI bike without a ton of bells and whistles that likely won't give you any trouble. I've had mine a few years and done plenty of commuting and a few long day trips with it and it continues to be a solid bike.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 22, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Just got a 2013 CBR250R for Aspergeoise and it needs tires. Any suggestions?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok what do you guys think about this bike? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4670379535.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok what do you guys think about this bike? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4670379535.html

Holy poo poo run %%%%%%%%THE gently caress AWAY^^^&&&&%%%%%%% from that ad !?!YES WE BASH ADS!>!>!>!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Just got a 2013 CBR250R for Aspergeoise and it needs tires. Any suggestions?

Go up one size in the rear and run a 110/150 Pilot Road 3 combo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Holy poo poo run %%%%%%%%THE gently caress AWAY^^^&&&&%%%%%%% from that ad !?!YES WE BASH ADS!>!>!>!

Haha okay

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A MIRACLE posted:

The ninja 650 is a great starter. I know you're looking for Honda things, and the closest you'll get is a cb500. The ninja will be more powerful than that. Both bikes have ok-ish front suspension. In versys form, the ninja 650 platform gets decent upside down forks.

I am not a new rider and I just bought a versys 650. It's a fun bike and fun engine, I can't speak to the cb500, but the ninja 650 motor has a decent amount of character and is fun to drive.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
So I was showing my project bike to a friend the other day and it stalled and died. I checked the spark plugs and half of them weren't firing between the points but shorting out to the sides. So I went and bought a fresh set today and it starts again but runs like poo poo.

I think I've connected the ignition leads up incorrectly on the GSF250 after changing the spark plugs. It's only running on the 2 left hand cylinders and backfires at low RPM. I'm assuming this because the 2 right hand headers are only touchable levels of warm. I can't seem to find anywhere that shows me how these leads were hooked up. Any pointers on how to fix this stupid gently caress up?

Edit: Never mind I've fixed it. For some reason I assumed that the leads were a symmetrical looking hook up. I swapped the two leads on the side that wasn't firing. Good god it runs fantastically on new plugs.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For future reference: all you need to know is that the two outer cylinders use one coil, and the two inners use the other coil. It makes no difference which way the leads are as long as the 1-4 coil is hooked to 1 and 4. So there are really only two choices of lead position available and the length/shape of the leads often makes the wrong one impossible anyway.