Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Thinking about it that does make a lot of sense. I did notice when I looked again that the rubber boot that seals the spark plug tube up didn't sit right. I should of realised that it wasn't meant to go there much sooner. I guess making simple tasks hard is kind of my thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Consensus is that the Ninja 300 is a good starter bike, yes? I was looking at bigger bikes before I realized it has normal dimensions (actually bigger than a ZX6r...) Anyways I found a new one at a dealer discounted to $4600, is that a good price? I would rather go through a dealer than craigslist right now

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's a great starter bike but that price seems expensive. Why don't you just look up a 2013 with low miles on craigslist? A dealer is always going to be more expensive.

edit: where do you live?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

A MIRACLE posted:

Consensus is that the Ninja 300 is a good starter bike, yes? I was looking at bigger bikes before I realized it has normal dimensions (actually bigger than a ZX6r...) Anyways I found a new one at a dealer discounted to $4600, is that a good price? I would rather go through a dealer than craigslist right now

It's a good price only if it's got ABS. If that's a non-ABS model I would just go with the cheaper EX250s, or try to find a sub 3k EX300

And yes, it is an excellent starter bike. But you will outgrow it quickly so you should also consider spending much less so that you can upgrade easier later on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hot sauce posted:

It's a great starter bike but that price seems expensive. Why don't you just look up a 2013 with low miles on craigslist? A dealer is always going to be more expensive.

edit: where do you live?

Denver. my buddy who rides is gonna take me bike shopping. he's trying to get me on a cruiser but I really want something more sporty and rev happy.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If he's only considering one type of motorcycle you should probably leave him behind. Just get one of the CA Approved Beginner Bikes such as ninja, sv650, gs500, any supermoto

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Make sure you budget for some nice sticky tires too. Having driven around Denver a bit and around the roads in the mountains you're going to want something that eats gravel and worn roads for lunch. Don't take the estimated lifetime into too much consideration since the riding season there is much shorter compared to somewhere like Florida.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Here are some of the bikes I was considering...

Ninjas:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4672805859.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4727113283.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4728231436.html

GS500's
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4642235404.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4712885801.html

some weird things
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4668460908.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4709717220.html

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Ninja 250 and 300 are great looking bikes but way too expensive, don't buy from a dealer. The GS500s both look like the best out of these choices to me as long as you are ok with a little extra maintenance due to their age. If I were in the market for a beater bike, I'd definitely make an offer on http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4712885801.html, assuming it checks out mechanically.

I wouldn't touch the Hawk due to those handlebars he put on it. They won't make it easier to learn to ride.

e: Don't forget the SV650.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4704490163.html
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4724043437.html

Bet you could offer both of those guys less than their asking price.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 24, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

hot sauce posted:

I wouldn't touch the Hawk due to those handlebars he put on it. They won't make it easier to learn to ride.
Lowered handlebars are a pain in the butt when you're new. Mine has lowered bars and it's fine now that I'm used to them, but it did make it annoying to ride at first.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fun fact that I learned the other day:

Girly's hyosung had little riser blocks fitted that lifted the factory bar about 20mm up from their normal position on the triple. The bike has always felt very twitchy and unstable at high speed, which I've always attributed to it having very narrow tyres and the worst suspension.

After a year's worth of ownership I decided to take them out because they were causing trouble with the throttle and choke cables and stuff. Surprisingly, this completely altered the way the bike handled and it's now much, much more stable on the motorway and more progressive on turn-in. I didn't think such a tiny thing would make such a huge difference, but there you go.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

A MIRACLE posted:

Here are some of the bikes I was considering...

A Ninja 500 for under $3000 is a great idea. So is a Ninja 300 for under $4500. I would counsel that you try to keep the mileage under 10k.

And if you're going for weird things, don't forget the DRZ-400SM. And while it's not weird, the SV650.

I am jealous of you, getting to ride in Denver. Or near Denver. poo poo, I would love to be able to jump on my little bike and tell my wife, "see you for dinner, I'm going to [Garden of the Gods | Pikes Peak | Vail | Moab | Who even cares ]!"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I'm FROM Knoxville which was cycling heaven. But my buddy/neighbor has a motorcycle (Suzuki boulevard I think? Some 1100cc cruiser thingy, I sat on it and it's huge) and he's always telling me to buy a bike to go out riding in the mountains and stuff. I think I'm relenting haha. And yeah money isn't a huge issue, the difference between a $3000 bike and a $5000 bike isn't that much. I think I'm gonna go for a 300 with the ABS and slipper clutch and stuff.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I'm FROM Knoxville which was cycling heaven. But my buddy/neighbor has a motorcycle (Suzuki boulevard I think? Some 1100cc cruiser thingy, I sat on it and it's huge) and he's always telling me to buy a bike to go out riding in the mountains and stuff. I think I'm relenting haha. And yeah money isn't a huge issue, the difference between a $3000 bike and a $5000 bike isn't that much. I think I'm gonna go for a 300 with the ABS and slipper clutch and stuff.

If you're not put off by the chance that you'll probably drop your brand new bike and cost yourself a bunch of money make sure you get the ABS version of the 300. Probably the biggest safety upgrade for a new rider.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

A MIRACLE posted:

Go West of like Copper Mountain and Frisco on I-70. It's the best ever. In 2015 I'm going to try to make it out there for a ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Might be good to shoot for a fuel injected bike if you plan to be going up and down a lot in the mountains

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So the bike is squeaking a little bit when I let the clutch out and accelerate, is that a sign of the clutch starting to go or need work?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What bike? I'd be really surprised if the clutch squeaked at all, ever, and it wasnt more likely your lever perch or cable, or something outside of the engine.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Buell Blast. It sounds like it's coming from the engine but I will have to do some more careful testing to see where exactly the sound is coming from.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Does it kinda sound like chirping the tires a bit, except that doesn't make sense because you're clearly not peeling out?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Does it kinda sound like chirping the tires a bit, except that doesn't make sense because you're clearly not peeling out?

Yep, exactly.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, mine does that, too. I don't know, either.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

I guess it's one of the features Buell added to make the bike seem cooler. You get to feel like you're peeling out constantly even when you're not!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

RadioPassive posted:

Had a VFR that did that as well, only once in a great while if I let the clutch out too aggressively. I always figured it was some fuckery with the plates being worn and old age. However, the clutch never slipped and was not grabby, so I just resigned to the fact that it is a motorcycle and they tend to do weird poo poo.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

So the bike is squeaking a little bit when I let the clutch out and accelerate, is that a sign of the clutch starting to go or need work?

Had a similar-ish problem in my cbr250, replaced the clutch plates and problem is gone. My plates were completely burnt (and no, I wasn't pulling wheelies, it was sold to me like that).

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Barnsy posted:

Had a similar-ish problem in my cbr250, replaced the clutch plates and problem is gone. My plates were completely burnt (and no, I wasn't pulling wheelies, it was sold to me like that).

Nobody's gonna fault you for pulling wheelies, wheelies own.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SquadronROE posted:

Buell Blast. It sounds like it's coming from the engine but I will have to do some more careful testing to see where exactly the sound is coming from.

Did you start out with some horrible shitbox barnfind that everyone told you to just get rid of? How did you end up with a Buell Blast which is widely regarded as a pile of poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

By following literally noone's advice. But at least he got a bike and he rides the bike that he got.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're saying he actually got out of the well by digging, even if he did so by hitting a sewer pipe.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That's the best part about having no experience. Even shitboxes make you go "whoo I'm on a bike!!".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's true, any bike is better than no bike.

Which is why it's so funny/annoying to hear "your bike isn't big/fast/loud/freedomy enough" from people who don't ride at all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Frosty- posted:

When we say "drain the carbs," we mean "turn petcock to 'off' and run it 'till it dies," right?

Or use the drain screws on the bottom of the carbs.

I drain them in the Spring using the screws to get fresh fuel from the tank into the bowls. Otherwise the thing won't start. Has worked every time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Our superior Scandinavian artisanal gas is made only from grass-fed Brontosaurii and aged in the finest depots.
Brontosaurus is Greek, not Latin.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

n8r posted:

Did you start out with some horrible shitbox barnfind that everyone told you to just get rid of? How did you end up with a Buell Blast which is widely regarded as a pile of poo poo.

Yep, and I learned a lot about maintenance from that bike, then sold it for 2x what I got it for to someone dumber than me. I like my dumb Blast, though. Pretty happy with it, overall.

The clutch plates sound like a reasonable cause. Whenever I've got an afternoon that I want to spend tinkering on the bike rather than riding I'll take a closer look at that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Before you go tearing into the clutch make sure it's not just a couple pieces of metal rubbing on each other outside of the motor. Or a squeaky spring or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

nsaP posted:

Before you go tearing into the clutch make sure it's not just a couple pieces of metal rubbing on each other outside of the motor. Or a squeaky spring or something.

Definitely, I'll put it up on a stand and cycle it through some gears while listening more closely to see if I can hear exactly where the sound is coming from before I open anything up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For Buel Blast issues I recommend googling the "Different Bike" mod, it's very popular and well documented

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Definitely, I'll put it up on a stand and cycle it through some gears

Do not do this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hot sauce posted:

Do not do this.

Or if you do at least set up a camera on a tripod and leave it recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I used to do it all the time when I had a bike with a center stand, it helps to not be a giant pussy about every little thing in the world. It is a great way to clean the chain.