Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

rotaryfun posted:

Just so I'm straight, is motorcycle-superstore the place to get tires or is there somewhere else/new you guys suggest. It's the only place I've ever bought tires so I know they're quick.

The shop? Unless you're doing them yourself. A little race shop quoted me less than the big websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Usually the local guys will match or beat online prices, so I do that and bring the wheels in off the bike for the tire change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

I'm looking forward to what I can do with it next. It'll be nice to have a nice, leaky ottoman.

To ask an actual question in the questions thread, what do you guys generally check before you ride? I pretty much do a pre-flight check: lights, turn signals, brakes, horn, oil level, tire pressure, tread depth. I know that's overkill though.

Usually nothing, I look things over when I do my pressures. But now that I've had two punctures in a row I make sure the tyres aren't flat :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BlackMK4 posted:

Pirelli Rosso Corsa

I've been through a bunch of sets of multicompound tires in the past, though these are my first Pirellis. Why is the compound switchover curved? Is that even the compound switchover?

My Diablo Rosso's are like that too, the graceful arc of the compound change scientifically enhances the amount of passion delivered, unlike the soulless technicality of the straight-line compound switchover on a Bridgestone, or the clunky, unrefined compound border on a Michelin.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elviscat posted:

My Diablo Rosso's are like that too, the graceful arc of the compound change scientifically enhances the amount of passion delivered, unlike the soulless technicality of the straight-line compound switchover on a Bridgestone, or the clunky, unrefined compound border on a Michelin.

Hahaha, so Italian. :lol:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SquadronROE posted:

I'm looking forward to what I can do with it next. It'll be nice to have a nice, leaky ottoman.

To ask an actual question in the questions thread, what do you guys generally check before you ride? I pretty much do a pre-flight check: lights, turn signals, brakes, horn, oil level, tire pressure, tread depth. I know that's overkill though.

It starts, I go. It don't start, I don't go.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Usually nothing, I look things over when I do my pressures. But now that I've had two punctures in a row I make sure the tyres aren't flat :(

I had a loving screw in my rear tyre on the motorway, got off the motorway at Newton St (Colemans Suzuki was just around the corner) and paid $50 to get it fixed.

When I go back to pick the bike up, I run over a loving hedgehog. Of course.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I check my tire pressure pretty much every ride unless I'm riding it every day. Other than that I do a short walkaround, just scanning mechanical stuff. Mostly ignore lights and whatnot.

I don't consider myself a sperg at all but when I read about people who don't check pressures for months I almost faint.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Thats weird because you are p spergy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Odette posted:

I had a loving screw in my rear tyre on the motorway, got off the motorway at Newton St (Colemans Suzuki was just around the corner) and paid $50 to get it fixed.

When I go back to pick the bike up, I run over a loving hedgehog. Of course.

Did it puncture your tire or just my heart? :ohdear:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SquadronROE posted:

Squeeze tires to check pressure, pull clutch and make sure it releases, squeeze brakes and make sure they work, check oil if I don't remember where it was when I parked. Ocular pat-down of rear wheel bearing and drive belt.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It starts, I go. It don't start, I don't go.

Pretty much this except I will crank it yell at it until it does go.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bugdrvr posted:

I used to bounce one of my old bikes on its suspension till it started. ( this is after priming the carbs, and turning the choke to full)

Not sure if it did anything but it made me feel like I was helping.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Nothing, but I verify the lights every now and then. Also the tire pressures every couple of weeks, I just did so and a valve stem cap was missing, I wonder how that happened.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

I used to bounce one of my old bikes on its suspension till it started. ( this is after priming the carbs, and turning the choke to full)

Not sure if it did anything but it made me feel like I was helping.

I do this while riding if I feel like im not getting the power I should be. Doesn't really do anything as far as I can tell, but it reminds me of a rider whipping his horse to spur it on, so yeah.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ProfessorYesNo posted:

Does anybody have the name of the guy who made really cool front suspensions for choppers back in the '60s and '70s? I remember seeing a video or something about the guy- the setups were really cool, the forks were kind of offset from the hub of the front wheel, but his work was largely ignored because he was a black guy I think?

This was a few pages back but I didn't see a reply. http://www.sugarbearchoppers.com/frontends.htm

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bugdrvr posted:

Same, except instead of me shouting it's the dog barking at it. It's kind of :3:, she obviously recognises it's doing the wrong thing and tells it off, then runs around tail wagging when it starts.

I've no idea if her pattern recognition is that good but if the bike's not working and I have to get the bus to work it means she gets a shorter walk in the evening so it's in her best interests to make sure it's running - I wonder if I can train her to do valve clearances?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Had a two and a half hour conversation with my bank/would-be-insurance agent (Statefarm) this morning and got lots of good info, but I'm still unsure if a bike as a sole and first vehicle is a good idea. The strongest arguments against it are safety, which I'm ok with, and convenience, which I include the weather, bugs, lack of storage and only one passenger (if that). The arguments for it are I fuckin' want one real bad cause I'm young and stupid. The insurance is less even with AAA roadside assistance (used a '07 sv650s as a benchmark vs a '07 Jetta, the bike would be about $60 a month).

You can get a license only for motorcycles as well, not just an endorsement to add to your regular class E car license (which I thought was weird that the woman I was talking to at first said no and then took it back when I asked her to double check). Plus I don't drink or smoke so I need some kind of vice. I'm so loving boring in a lot of ways simply because I'm not interested in poo poo, this is something fun that I am interested in, so I want to pursue it. I'm also not a super outgoing person, so I think I'd love something that would give me incentives to go out more. I'm not looking for it to change my lifestyle or who I am, but I do want it to change the little behaviors and decisions if that makes sense. Driving to see a band I enjoy an hour away with a car? Eh, unless I'm going with friends, it'd be hard to talk myself into doing it. But with a bike, maybe it'd be easier cause adventure.

There's just something exciting about the prospect of exploring and putting myself out there a bit more that I don't feel I'd get from a car. On the other side of financial things, my grandparents whom I'm living with while going to school will co-sign on financing for a car but not for a bike. They say they couldn't live with themselves if I do become crippled or die. They mention that they don't want to discourage me from getting a bike, just to give y'all an idea of their position. I totally understand that and am already grateful for living rent free so that's that. With that said, I would be able to get a car basically right away, but I'd have to save up around 5 grand for a bike plus gear because I doubt I could get decent financing with no credit history, but I think I'm ok with waiting a couple more months in that case. I also don't have furniture or tons of belongings, so I'm not worried about moving out. I'm working a part time job while taking online college classes and my commute is two miles so getting there isn't a problem. I like to think I'm ambitious, god dammit, and I don't want to regret not doing the few things I want to do.

Given all that, what do you guys think? 23 year old and living in Florida by the way. Solid reasons for or against would be great.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My bike is my first and only vehicle and I was ~your age when I got it. Don't get one just to make yourself "interesting" or poo poo, that leads directly down to wobbling it to the coffee shop twice a season to brood in a corner. Also get a used bike and you don't have to worry about any of this financing poo poo.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Well, if you don't have a car right now a bike will be an instant 100% improvement in transportation. I'll second the buy something used notion, and maybe take a MSF class while you're saving up.

I've got to be honest, the ride to the show situation you mentioned is one of the least convenient parts of riding. It sucks showing up to something (non-bike related) and having no place safe to stash your riding gear. I would imagine I'd be sweating like a wrestler trying to make weight if I went to a show in my boots and jacket, and I'm loath to leave anything locked to the bike.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 31, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah I have to agree, the thing the bike really makes me want to go out and do is just ride it. But visiting things/people... I don't have a car so it's a tradeoff between the train and the bike and it's difficult each time, mostly because, as said, having to deal with the gear sucks. Sure it can be relatively easy if you've got a bike with storage but often times I end up having to bring shoes, and arranging that I can leave my crap in someone's car.

Also, everyone says riding in Florida sucks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

monsterzero posted:

I've got to be honest, the ride to the show situation you mentioned is one of the least convenient parts of riding.

Yeah this blows and I never do it, unless I'm riding to bikes & breakfast or some poo poo like that.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I think it was this thread in which we were talking about bikes and what amount of miles is high? Anyway I just read a mag where they did took apart an NC700 after 50000km (31000 miles) and it was absolutely like new inside. 45hp from 700ccs with a 6500rpm redline that literally uses car parts (such as the pistons) will do that. They did have some cosmetic issues such as paint flaking off the headlight assembly, and they needed a new clutch cable tho. Anyway they said it was the bike that did it best in their test (previous best was CBR600F) but that the depreciation is huge now that the 750cc version is out.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

monsterzero posted:

I've got to be honest, the ride to the show situation you mentioned is one of the least convenient parts of riding. It sucks showing up to something (non-bike related) and having no place safe to stash your riding gear. I'm loath to leave anything locked to the bike.
Really? Wouldn't a trunk or saddle bags solve this? Stuff like this is exactly what I don't want to overlook. It's poo poo you'll only learn and know by riding basically.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
:hf: To all my no-car-having buddies.

High Protein posted:

Yeah I have to agree, the thing the bike really makes me want to go out and do is just ride it. But visiting things/people... I don't have a car so it's a tradeoff between the train and the bike and it's difficult each time, mostly because, as said, having to deal with the gear sucks. Sure it can be relatively easy if you've got a bike with storage but often times I end up having to bring shoes, and arranging that I can leave my crap in someone's car.

rizuhbull posted:

Really? Why? Wouldn't a trunk or saddle bags solve this?

I have a 40L topbox, but good luck trying to stow a pair of boots, pants, jacket and helmet in there. Yeah, you could hang the helmet off the seat, but that only works with a) good weather, and b) faith in the common man no to gently caress with it. That means I'm always carrying something if I want to go somewhere and get off the bike.

It's not ideal, is what I am saying.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You gotta gauge where you live cause everyone on here is paranoid as hell, but I leave all my gear on/near the bike every time and I've never had a problem. That said, another rider wearing a helmet is an odd sight and my gear isn't exactly a Rossi replica and Dianese 1 piece.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah, not ideal, but there's always options. Pants/jacket locked to bike with cable lock, helmet on the helmet lock, wear the boots.

I don't leave the helmet unless I have to though, most locks lock by the dring, so it can be stolen by cutting the strap. There are other locks that use the chinbar but then you have to leave the visor partway open and it may get wet inside. Or some bum/drunkard takes a poo poo in it. I've never had problems with my poo poo getting stolen though, I even leave my tailbag on the bike 24/7 and it and it's contents have never been hosed with, and it doesn't secure at all, just straps and buckles. I don't leave anything in it I wouldn't be okay with losing though. Stuff like a map, earplugs, cheap riding glasses just in case, work gloves, junction box cover for the kickstand, wet wipes, etc.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 1, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Ok, thanks for the info everyone.

It's hard cause everything needs to be in context. It's always either info from people who are strongly against riding, or those like yourself whom some of you don't even own a car. And even then there's myself I need to consider. What is lovely or great for one person may not be so for me.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Another thing to keep in mind is that without a car you'll sometimes need to call upon people that do have one. My parents live nearby and don't mind (they ride themselves) picking up some furniture or letting me borrow the car every now and then, but it's definitely limiting in that regard.

Of course if your goal is to do more social stuff, going on bike rides with others can be nice, so that's something to keep in mind too; though I only really like riding with people who I already know well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Don't get one just to make yourself "interesting" or poo poo, that leads directly down to wobbling it to the coffee shop twice a season to brood in a corner.
You say this in a mocking tone, but I believe this is exactly how one gets fame, popularity, and laid in the modern world.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

rizuhbull posted:

Ok, thanks for the info everyone.

It's hard cause everything needs to be in context. It's always either info from people who are strongly against riding, or those like yourself whom some of you don't even own a car. And even then there's myself I need to consider. What is lovely or great for one person may not be so for me.

Eh, most people would love to have a more romantic life until the day they actually have to live one. Suddenly the romance fades and the drudgery sets in. When people own both a car and a bike there's an implicit choice they have to make every time they want to transport themselves; the car seems to win pretty much every time. A bike demands time to hoist yourself in and out of gear, find a spot to stow that gear at the destiny of choice, little space for accoutrements, the inevitability of getting wet and dealing with wet clothes (locale and season dependent), and always looking a bit haggard after you unmount yourself. This all adds up to a serious motivation to not take the bike today. Or tomorrow. Or the day after that...

However, for us non-choice havers the drudgery is lessened by the simple fact that we just have to deal with it. This allows us to get a bit hardier and redirects our focus towards finding workable solutions to all of those niggling situations. Once you have a plan, the problems don't feel that bad.

Whatever you do, realise you're not choosing a university here. You can always try something different down the road. No shame going with the more functional option.

And for gently caress's sake don't buy new for your first bike. You don't even know if you'll like it that much!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

rizuhbull posted:

Really? Wouldn't a trunk or saddle bags solve this? Stuff like this is exactly what I don't want to overlook. It's poo poo you'll only learn and know by riding basically.

Eh, I ride a sport-tourer with pretty generous hard bags (VFR800) and I can fit my helmet and gloves in one, boots (and sometimes overpants) in the other so it's not terrible. Your storage options on more beginner-friendly bikes are going to be much more limited. Soft bags aren't very big or secure, so you would probably be looking at top box (alternative: maxi-scooter :3:).

The last point underscores why cheap(ish) and used should be primary criteria. If you're not sure it's the lifestyle for you, you'll be able to sell the bike to the next noob and get back most of your investment.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You say this in a mocking tone, but I believe this is exactly how one gets fame, popularity, and laid in the modern world.

Too bad bike charisma only works on boys under 10-years, men over 45, and people responsible for the content in the 'overheard stupid poo poo' thread.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

monsterzero posted:

Too bad bike charisma only works on boys under 10-years, men over 45, and people responsible for the content in the 'overheard stupid poo poo' thread.

Works on college girls too, dog.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Filthy casuals, I pull man booty errday w/the suit :smug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

Filthy casuals, I pull man booty errday w/the suit :smug:

Half the guys I know are obsessed with women who ride motorcycles, even if they themselves don't. Happy Hunting, m42.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I couldn't respect a dude who couldn't (or didn't want to) ride.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

I couldn't respect a dude who couldn't (or didn't want to) ride.

Make them your bitch and have them ride two up with you in a flowery pink Icon helmet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Make them your bitch and have them ride two up with you in a flowery pink Icon helmet.

I'm gonna do this to my bf.

When I get a bike that can actually carry the two of us. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

I'm gonna do this to my bf.

When I get a bike that can actually carry the two of us. :v:

I found a really pretty purple one with orange butterflies that I totally would have rocked if it were my size. I'd find a pic but I'm phone posting. It was from Icon though.