Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last I checked most models throw them in sprung mass for the sake of simplicity and consistency. They're actually about half and half but the actual ratio changes as they compress/extend and they weigh so little it's not worth caring about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Ola posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but the bit about unsprung weight confuses me because it's the other way around on my right side up forks. The shiny steel bits connected to the frame are way heavier than the aluminium bits connected to the wheel. Perhaps the stanchions can be made shorter on USD forks and are lighter than the widened, beefed up tubes.

Bonus internet argument question: Is the spring part of the sprung or unsprung weight?

50% of the spring counts as sprung, 50% unsprung.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

It's Penrite 10W40 if that helps. I'm not actually sure if it's cheap for car oil or not, I just know its cheap compared to motorcycle oil. Costs him like $40 for a bottle of it.

Put Rotella T into it. Cheap as gently caress, works. Try changing the oil and seeing what happens, bikes can be picky over oil and shifting is the first area that is noticeable for it.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
What are my options for renting a motorcycle in town that I'm traveling too? Only things I can find online are Harley dealerships that want $200 a day or adventure touring outfits that want similar prices.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Low-Pass Filter posted:

What are my options for renting a motorcycle in town that I'm traveling too? Only things I can find online are Harley dealerships that want $200 a day or adventure touring outfits that want similar prices.
There's a place that rents Ducatis and KTMs for like $50 a day just outside of town. It's not that close to the airport, but you should be able to cab it.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

There's a place that rents Ducatis and KTMs for like $50 a day just outside of town. It's not that close to the airport, but you should be able to cab it.

Haha, that almost sounds too good to be true!!!

Would they deliver to the airport?? I'll pay upwards of $20 for this service.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Which airport?

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
lol, i seriously thought you were pulling my chain there.

I'm flying into Denver june 3rd and leaving the 6th. As far as I can tell, none of the big car rental people offer motos, are there any sorts of P2P options like Relay Rides or smth.

Thanks for the help

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

It's Penrite 10W40 if that helps. I'm not actually sure if it's cheap for car oil or not, I just know its cheap compared to motorcycle oil. Costs him like $40 for a bottle of it.

If he isn't careful, it could have friction modifiers that destroy clutch plates in bieks. I doubt the oil is your problem here but it's not your money so worth a try!

Try draining the oil into a clean pan and seeing if there's any bits of metal in there.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Low-Pass Filter posted:

lol, i seriously thought you were pulling my chain there.

I'm flying into Denver june 3rd and leaving the 6th. As far as I can tell, none of the big car rental people offer motos, are there any sorts of P2P options like Relay Rides or smth.

Thanks for the help

Oh, I was thinking Chicago. They have an RSV4 and an S1000RR and a Multistrada.

There was a place I was looking at a while ago that would deliver to DIA for free, and they rented those little BMWs, the F600 and 700 I think, and their prices were under $150. The website was dualsportrental.com, but it seems to be dead. Too bad, they seemed like decent people.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What's the popular opinion on kz1000's?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

What town is this? In LA the best I could get was a Triumph Tiger 800 for around 125 a day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Speaking of shifting issues, weird one on my ZXR. I'll be going into third and nothing is there. Like I try to shift, and the lever makes the complete motion, but never shifts into gear. Let the lever back down, and magically third gear appears.

It's totally random, happens sometimes multiple times in a day and others I can go a week without it happening once. It never misses twice in a row, and it doesn't matter if I'm using the clutch or not. When it decides I don't have third, the feel isn't even there. It's just...light and empty with no resistance until it hits the top of its travel.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Has anyone here ever bought a D.I.D. chain and sprocket kit? It's like $5 cheaper than buying a chain and some Sunstar sprockets separately so I was wondering who makes the sprockets for the kits. If they are mystery sprockets or unmarked I'll just spring for the Sunstars.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 25, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Maybe JT? I find it hard to believe plain steel sprockets are much different but I also recently realized I've never actually bought an expensive Renthal or Vortex or anything to find out.

One thing I would recommend is springing for gold colored chains. I find it way easier to keep clean owing to the bling factor. I also notice less surface rust on the outside of the plates but that's most likely to coincide with cleaning more often. I got my last few chains off Amazon. Make sure it's the right link count but it was way cheaper + prime shipping speed for a DID o-ring chain there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

Has anyone here ever bought a D.I.D. chain and sprocket kit? It's like $5 cheaper than buying a chain and some Sunstar sprockets separately so I was wondering who makes the sprockets for the kits. If they are mystery sprockets or unmarked I'll just spring for the Sunstars.

DID have got a really good reputation in the UK but the only time I've used them I sold the bike a thousand miles later so I can't really comment from personal experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

I got a DID set for my hornet. The sprockets are indeed made by JT. I got the gold one too for the above reasons.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Blinged it up with the gold D.I.D. For those of you in need of chains, check out amazon and look for longer lengths. I needed a 114 link. Amazon wanted $127. But then I found several 122 link+ chains around $80-$85. Stock seems to be getting somewhat low on them though. So if you need a chain be sure to check that out.

530:
http://amzn.com/B00TQQX6KU

520:
http://amzn.com/B006IOM0TQ

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm doing some work on my 2001 F4i after it was having issues bogging at my last track day. I'm pretty sure it's a pinched fuel vent tube because that was the last part of the bike I was working on. But I'm going to replace the air filter, plugs, and sync the throttle bodies for good measure. My problem is, the previous owner removed the idle adjuster cable. I don't see any sort of screw replacing it, either. Is this a common mod for track bikes? Can I get away without having one? It seems like the bump stops for the butterflies have never been changed, which is where I'd expect that kind of adjustment on a carbureted bike.

update: I'm still not sure why the previous owner removed the adjuster. Seems like a lot of stunt riders remove them so that they can mount a different adjuster with more throw and thus higher available idle. I may be able to get away without having one as long as the idle is already in the correct ballpark.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 26, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Any tips for carrying a suit on a long (6 hour) motorcycle trip? I'm riding to a conference later this summer. I've done it once before and used the "inside out folding trick" with mediocre results, but I'm wondering if strapping a garment bag to the seat is a better idea, or getting some kind of garment folder. Anyone have experience with this?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to Honolulu in a week and was thinking about renting a motorcycle or scooter to get around while I'm there. The problem is while I have my motorcycle license, I haven't really ridden a bike since October 2012 when I took the MSF class. I did briefly ride my brother's 1982 Harley FXR Shovelhead around the block a couple of times, but it was in a hilly area and I never even got out of first gear. I didn't drop it, but I did gently caress up a turn while going up a steep hill. Needless to say, that bike felt huge compared to the 125cc Honda Eliminator I learned on.

How bad idea is it to relearn on a Honda Rebel 250? The only problem is I'd be learning in Honolulu traffic, which is apparently horrible. A scooter sounds a lot easier, but also like less fun. I may be able to play with a friend's dirtbike this Friday, if I could get a couple hours on that I think I imagine it'd be fine in Honolulu.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

alnilam posted:

Any tips for carrying a suit on a long (6 hour) motorcycle trip? I'm riding to a conference later this summer. I've done it once before and used the "inside out folding trick" with mediocre results, but I'm wondering if strapping a garment bag to the seat is a better idea, or getting some kind of garment folder. Anyone have experience with this?

1) Wear the suit under your other gear.
2) Roll it around something else. I bet you're not carrying a sleeping bag, but if you can bunch something up to such a diameter and roll the suit around it it will be compact without getting wrinkled.
3) There's a million more tips a google query away.

That's arranged in order of priority.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

How bad idea is it to relearn on a Honda Rebel 250? The only problem is I'd be learning in Honolulu traffic, which is apparently horrible. A scooter sounds a lot easier, but also like less fun. I may be able to play with a friend's dirtbike this Friday, if I could get a couple hours on that I think I imagine it'd be fine in Honolulu.

It might be a pretty bad idea, particularly if you think about what the rental company might charge you if you scratch it. At least spend some time in a parking lot so you get a refresher on all the controls and can downshift and turn on the blinkers while in a turn without fumbling for any of the controls. And don't go into traffic. If you're on vacation (?) and you just want to enjoy yourself, find the back roads. Any back road will do, through neighborhoods or whatever. Riding for fun and ending up in heavy commuter traffic is a book Kafka would write if he was alive today.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

It might be a pretty bad idea, particularly if you think about what the rental company might charge you if you scratch it. At least spend some time in a parking lot so you get a refresher on all the controls and can downshift and turn on the blinkers while in a turn without fumbling for any of the controls. And don't go into traffic. If you're on vacation (?) and you just want to enjoy yourself, find the back roads. Any back road will do, through neighborhoods or whatever. Riding for fun and ending up in heavy commuter traffic is a book Kafka would write if he was alive today.

Kafka's book would be about a rider who has experienced the freedom of lane-splitting, and is now inexplicably confined to a minivan in Los Angeles traffic by mysterious, but mundane, forces. The Underpass

Edit
I forgot, his mother would be in the passenger seat, comatose, and the radio is stuck to a Michael Savage talk radio marathon.

Double edit
A blonde woman in a convertible is several cars in front of him. He can't get close enough to check her out because a large pickup with sexy girl silhouette mudflaps is blocking his way.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 27, 2015

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm going for work, so I'll be commuting to the major downtown areas during what may be horrible traffic. I'm thinking the bike is probably a bad idea, but it sounded like fun. I will have a Sunday free there, maybe I'll rent one just for four hours and cruise the back roads.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous Can-Am. 

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have a '73 Honda CL350 with about 4,000 miles on it. I got about a half mile from home this morning when it hesitated on throttle. I kept the throttle cranked and the bike made a loud POP sound as the hesitation was gone and I was able to accelerate away. I pull over and there's a stream of oil coming down from behind the crank case cover. Any ideas what the popping was? I assume it was a gasket being destroyed...

I've ordered a gasket set and I'm planning on replacing the piston rings as well. Is there anything else I should do to this motor when I have it out and apart?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sagebrush flashbacks

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MomJeans420 posted:

The only problem is I'd be learning in Honolulu traffic, which is apparently horrible.

I dunno, the two weeks I was there I can't say I felt it was any more horrible than anywhere else I've been in the US.

Traffic seems to elicit some kind of reverse bragging reflex in people; "oh, traffic where I live is so bad, everyone drives like an idiot" "well, it can't be as bad as where I live, it's horrible here" "you both have it easy, where I live traffic is the worst" etc etc

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Traffic always seems worse when you don't know where you're going or where anything is. The worse traffic I ever saw was in Atlanta where the intersections would shut down because cars would line up all the way through the intersections

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

MomJeans420 posted:

A scooter sounds a lot easier, but also like less fun. I may be able to play with a friend's dirtbike this Friday, if I could get a couple hours on that I think I imagine it'd be fine in Honolulu.

Scooters are fun as hell and easy to ride. I don't know crap about Hawaii, but if you're just going to be spending a day or so exploring Honolulu it might be a good way to go.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Anyone know where I can find a manual for a Yamaha SR150? I tried poking around on Amazon to no avail, and google searching just gets me random .pdfs with links to other .pdfs that have nothing to do with Yamahas or SR150s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

Anyone know where I can find a manual for a Yamaha SR150? I tried poking around on Amazon to no avail, and google searching just gets me random .pdfs with links to other .pdfs that have nothing to do with Yamahas or SR150s.

Find out if there's an owners group would be the best bet.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Despite the many warnings on the ninjette wiki, I managed to overtighten a bolt on my gas tank and puncture it (seriously, how soft is the metal on the tank that I can just idly twist the screwdriver and break through?).

What are my options for fixing it? I feel like any place that spot welds could do it very quickly and easily, but I've never had to look for a welder before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
JBWeld would probably fix it if you cleaned and sanded down the side of the tank so it had something to stick to.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think this would either have to be sealed from the inside of the tank, or from the inside of the bolt hole. Unless I want to just completely seal up the bolt hole and the edges of the plate welded on top of the hole. I'm not completely sure where the puncture is or what it looks like inside, but there should be a nut welded to the outside of the tank, and then a metal plate welded on top of the nut, so that it kind of looks like you are screwing the bolt into the tank. Of course if you actually screw the bolt into the tank (like I did, I'm an idiot) then you break the tank.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Better buy a new bike, just to be safe.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kuffs posted:

I'm doing some work on my 2001 F4i after it was having issues bogging at my last track day. I'm pretty sure it's a pinched fuel vent tube because that was the last part of the bike I was working on. But I'm going to replace the air filter, plugs, and sync the throttle bodies for good measure. My problem is, the previous owner removed the idle adjuster cable. I don't see any sort of screw replacing it, either. Is this a common mod for track bikes? Can I get away without having one? It seems like the bump stops for the butterflies have never been changed, which is where I'd expect that kind of adjustment on a carbureted bike.

update: I'm still not sure why the previous owner removed the adjuster. Seems like a lot of stunt riders remove them so that they can mount a different adjuster with more throw and thus higher available idle. I may be able to get away without having one as long as the idle is already in the correct ballpark.

I just ordered a replacement adjuster.

I still have a couple questions though:
* I added the tank vent tube the last time the bike was apart. Bike was running fine before that with just a 2inch rubber hose and a 120deg plastic fitting. Should I just return it to the way it was? I'm pretty sure the fuel overflow tube is distinct.
* I'm probably gonna borrow a friend's 2-carb sync tool to sync the throttle bodies on this bike, using the 1-2, 3-4, 1-3 method. But there's a big vacuum manifold that distributes vacuum pressure to all of the throttle bodies. I wonder if removing part of the vacuum pressure off of that manifold has any weird side-effects?

I'd really just prefer to get this thing running right the first time. Fuel injection was supposed to be easier, guys!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

kuffs posted:

Fuel injection was supposed to be easier, guys!

That's a notion I don't really understand. As far as complexity goes, carburetors are generally simpler widgets. Their fuel delivery doesn't depend on a computer, wiring, sensors, injectors, or electricity; as long as air goes through the venturi and fuel through the jets, they can deliver charge.

A lot of people seem to assume EFI is a maintenance-free setup or something. But barring neglect, both ways take about the same amount of upkeep: a periodic vacuum sync. My fuel injected Vstar had me doing that every 4000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I ordered a new chain and sprockets. The dealership charges $145 to put it on for me. I think a proper rivet tool costs something like $45. Opinions on whether I should just buy the breaker/riveter and do it myself? I've never done a chain on a bike or a bicycle.