Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is the Honda Rider's Club worth looking into anymore? I'm thinking not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Simkin posted:

I'm kind of trying to make the bike look a bit more modern (84 Honda VF1000),

NO! Embrace the 80s-ness.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, I already repainted it to look like a mid 80s Yamaha FJ1100, but mirrors for that look pretty much the same. It's not like it was a mid 80s supersport with RADICAL COLOURS or dual headlights.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Another question for Chicago goons, my apartment has a twisty non-throughway alley, if I parked the motorcycle in a back corner out of the way, do you think I'd get in trouble? The guy across the hall had someone try to kick down his door on Friday, and I'm nervous again about parking on the street. I did get a cover, disc lock, comprehensive, etc.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Comprehensive coverage and a casual disdain for your own machine is the only way to go if you don't have a garage.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

clutchpuck posted:

Comprehensive coverage and a casual disdain for your own machine is the only way to go if you don't have a garage.

Always be looking at replacements. Or get a Buell Blast. You could park it with the key in it and no one would take it.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
If it gets stolen, I'll be crying about losing at least $500 based on minimum deductible, KBB undervalue, and new-to-me bike maintenance - not because I'm super attached to this one machine.

And I've got "always look for replacements" covered.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are going to need to give your bike a gun, and show it how to use it properly. This is the only way you can own a bike, without a garage, and have it still be there when you wake up in the morning.

Oh and don't buy a dual sport. That will magically fall through a wormhole to the garage of a bike thief the second you pen your name on the title.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dutymode posted:

If it gets stolen, I'll be crying about losing at least $500 based on minimum deductible, KBB undervalue, and new-to-me bike maintenance - not because I'm super attached to this one machine.

Compare the costs of replacing a stolen bike with the cost of your own garage. It's probably in "let it get stolen"'s favor.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

Whereabouts in Chicago are you? If you've got something to which to chain your bike, like those nice sturdy apartment staircases, that would probably help too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

If you've got something to which to chain your bike, like those nice sturdy apartment staircases

Maybe I'm missing some crazy mythical apartment complex for elephants, but who is chaining their bike to apartment staircases? The responding officer/chief/whatever gave me that line, too. "Well, we get lot's of bikes stolen from around here (literally 2000ft from the main police station). I'd have just chained it to the apartment stairwell. Why didn't you do that?"

Because it's a large vehicle. Because that has to be some sort of fire safety violation. Because my apartment complex would raise hell. The only thing I can think would fit anywhere in there would be a grom, and I'd still have to kindly ask the two residents whose doors it would be next to if they didn't mind (they probably wouldn't).

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 1, 2015

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

Maybe I'm missing some crazy mythical apartment complex for elephants, but who is chaining their bike to apartment staircases?

I'm picturing the sturdy Chicago apartment staircases like so

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dutymode posted:

Another question for Chicago goons, my apartment has a twisty non-throughway alley, if I parked the motorcycle in a back corner out of the way, do you think I'd get in trouble? The guy across the hall had someone try to kick down his door on Friday, and I'm nervous again about parking on the street. I did get a cover, disc lock, comprehensive, etc.

Honestly, if it really is a twisty non-throughway alley then I'd get a concrete drill bit and install an anchor if you're that worried.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm working on starting up my old XS750. Needs new fuel t-fittings that go between carbs. Part # 58 on this fiche:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1979-yamaha-xs750-special-xs750sf/o/m147175#sch225959

$55/ea? Are there cheaper alternatives for old Mikuni carbs? Getting this going has to be cheap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, now you make me want to extend my project from Aprilia and Ducati to include Yamaha...

Anyhow, your ACTUAL part number is 1J7-14988-00-00. If you search around with this part number you get this thread:
http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7630&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

Anyhow, my question would be what is wrong with yours? The proper option for you (read: cheap as gently caress) may be skim coating them with Hylomar or something if they are leaking.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Put a new air filter in the DRZ and rode about 40 miles. Refilled, still came out at 31 mpg. Time to pull the carb, I guess, unless I can check float level without doing that.

I'm thinking I might just sell it and getting a Ninja 250 or 500. I'd like to be able to ride 2-up with the wife, not gonna happen on the DRZ. I'd probably come out on top money-wise too.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Dutymode posted:

Put a new air filter in the DRZ and rode about 40 miles. Refilled, still came out at 31 mpg. Time to pull the carb, I guess, unless I can check float level without doing that.

I'm thinking I might just sell it and getting a Ninja 250 or 500. I'd like to be able to ride 2-up with the wife, not gonna happen on the DRZ. I'd probably come out on top money-wise too.

I had a Ninja 250; two up on one is not very enjoyable.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is it really that bad? We're both 5'8" and a combined 300 lbs. I'd use the extra money to buy her gear, and I won't be worried if she's up for riding it herself.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

Is it really that bad? We're both 5'8" and a combined 300 lbs. I'd use the extra money to buy her gear, and I won't be worried if she's up for riding it herself.

I take my older kids around on the Ninjette; I didn't think it was that bad. I don't ride around like a dong, mind, but that's more because the kids are on the back than the bike being gutless.

Though it is a 250. You can hardly expect GS500-levels of warp-speed power.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

Are you sure this isn't due to your riding style? I know I'm pretty much always riding like a hooligan, or at least operating the throttle like one. The DRZ encourages you to ride it in a pretty inefficient mannet.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Are you sure this isn't due to your riding style? I know I'm pretty much always riding like a hooligan, or at least operating the throttle like one. The DRZ encourages you to ride it in a pretty inefficient mannet.

I just moved and was mostly sight-seeing. About half of it was stop and go, but 30 mpg is pretty horrendous.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

I just moved and was mostly sight-seeing. About half of it was stop and go, but 30 mpg is pretty horrendous.

Fair enough. Felt like I should check. I have no idea what my mpg is.:shrug:

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Chichevache posted:

Seconding this; I have a Versys which other owners claim gets 50mpg, I'm lucky to break 40. However, it does a fine job jumping curbs and is fun to hang off of, so who cares.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
The problem with 30mpg is hitting reserve every 50 miles. I can hardly ride an hour without looking for a gas station.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Dutymode posted:

The problem with 30mpg is hitting reserve every 50 miles. I can hardly ride an hour without looking for a gas station.

Solution: Buy a larger tank.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

My DRZ has

Outside Dawg posted:

a larger tank.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
What's the lowest profile petcock you can think of? I made some extreme modifications to my gas tank and now I need the very smallest petcock that will still allow enough flow for a gs750.

Also, is it OK to use an inline filter instead of the petcock filter?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, now you make me want to extend my project from Aprilia and Ducati to include Yamaha...

Anyhow, your ACTUAL part number is 1J7-14988-00-00. If you search around with this part number you get this thread:
http://www.yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7630&DisplayType=nested&setCookie=1

Anyhow, my question would be what is wrong with yours? The proper option for you (read: cheap as gently caress) may be skim coating them with Hylomar or something if they are leaking.

Mine are all cracked and I don't want to go to the trouble of putting it all back together if I suspect it will leak. Hylomar sounds like what I need.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

You can hardly expect GS500-levels of warp-speed power.

:lol:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Anyone else with a 690 SMC: does the starter sometimes behave weird? Mine sometimes (usually when the engine is cold) sounds and acts like the battery is low, long chugging noises as it starts and it won't start when it does this. Turning off the killswitch and back on and trying the starter again will eventually start the bike in a normal way.

I'm not as smart on wrenching as I'd like to be, so this may be something obvious. Hopefully I can fix it myself, as I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is your battery low?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trauma Tank posted:

Anyone else with a 690 SMC: does the starter sometimes behave weird? Mine sometimes (usually when the engine is cold) sounds and acts like the battery is low, long chugging noises as it starts and it won't start when it does this. Turning off the killswitch and back on and trying the starter again will eventually start the bike in a normal way.

I'm not as smart on wrenching as I'd like to be, so this may be something obvious. Hopefully I can fix it myself, as I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.

Sounds like a cold v twin to me. Check the battery voltages I suppose, but otherwise just get used to it.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Z3n posted:

Is your battery low?

It shouldn't be, I meant to say the battery was put in new before I picked the bike up, so a couple weeks old at most.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you keep the bike outside or in a cold place? Could be condensation in the starter switch/relay/killswitch or something.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Do you keep the bike outside or in a cold place? Could be condensation in the starter switch/relay/killswitch or something.

Stored in a garage overnight, it is probably relatively cold, but we've been having a heatwave in the UK the last week so it shouldn't be a problem at the moment.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trauma Tank posted:

It shouldn't be, I meant to say the battery was put in new before I picked the bike up, so a couple weeks old at most.

Check battery terminals and cranking voltage.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Z3n posted:

Check battery terminals and cranking voltage.

I should get a multimeter to add to the toolkit I suppose. Any recommendations for good ones to work with bikes?

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. Hopefully I can get this fixed, I feel like a bit of a tool turning the bike on and off again repeatedly to get it started.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I added a starter cable from the engine to the battery to improve starter grounding and eliminated the cold vtwinnyness. All the XB12s seem to struggle to turn over TDC as a normal behavior when dead cold... EXCEPT MINE.

I'm finally treading water vs. the factory shenanigans. It's probably better than new, now. Feels good.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Just messed around with the SMC again, it definitely doesn't like starting up cold on just the starter. I applied a bit of throttle before pressing the button and it seemed to start up fine. I hadn't tried this before as applying throttle while already holding the starter has just made it respond worse in the past, which is different to how the SV I'm used to responded.

I'm still gonna check stuff out, but hopefully I have a more reliable method now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trauma Tank posted:

I should get a multimeter to add to the toolkit I suppose. Any recommendations for good ones to work with bikes?

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. Hopefully I can get this fixed, I feel like a bit of a tool turning the bike on and off again repeatedly to get it started.

Pick up the cheapest one Maplin has, until you get into more advanced stuff there's no point paying more than a tenner.