Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm looking for something to protect my throat that isn't completely over the top - I got hit with something yesterday that made it so I couldn't breathe for a good 10 seconds and before I even realized what I was doing I had my accellerator hand on my throat and was leant over the bike - it really hurt, but wont hurt as much as getting rear ended. Aside from using my clutch hand in the future can anyone suggest something that will protect my throat from getting really hurt by rocks and poo poo? Half my throat is still red and it happened 14~ hours ago :/ I have considered a scarf, but it doesn't seem like a thin piece of material will really help that much if it's a rock or nut or something. Or am I just being over paranoid?

e: on that note, it's the one part of my body that's exposed, why the gently caress did whatever it was have to choose there :(
ept.2: how on earth do people with open helmets not crash when poo poo hits them in the eye?

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

cixelsyd posted:

Have you looked into getting a balaclava? That might give you some of the protection you are looking for. I did wonder recently about your thought on how people with no/open helmets don't fall off their bikes when they get hour by stuff at 55 miles an hour.

A balaclava would be way too hot for where I am - as it is I have all the vents open on my helmet and pop the visor up under 60km/h (30~ mph I think).

AncientTV posted:

Does your jacket not have a collar or something? Usually between that and my helmet's lower portion my neck is pretty well covered.

edit: I forgot about changes in riding position. If I was any more upright, I probably would have a neck problem.

Nah, I've got a Marlin Brando style heavy leather jacket (which is stupidly hot unless I'm moving :( ) which I ride around in fully zipped up and the collar doesn't reach around (it was one of the first things I tried to do after I got my first bug). I was thinking of a scarf but it seems like a lot of hassle (which I will put up with if needed) - is there some sort of front of neck guard you can attach to helmets?

On a separate note - passed my QRide today (yay) after only 1 month of riding motorbikes so I'm pretty happy with myself. Go into the DMV tomorrow to upgrade my license (Sunday = closed) so I can finally get out and about on the road by myself. Now the learning really begins :D

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Bixington posted:

You might be able to ghettorig a hockey throat guard to your helmet/jacket, a bigger touring windshield could help too, but past that for the heat I have no idea.

Bumma. I might just throw a scarf or something in my tank bag for when I go on a long trip. Thanks all!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

thylacine posted:

Sports Authority has these brightly colored transformable balaclava/neck gaiter/etc. You might check those out. Or, just get a lightweight neck gaiter. Also, the Under Armor Balaclavas mentioned several times in this thread are awesome.

Thanks, grabbing one of these (Under Armour ColdGear Neck Gaiter). Should be heaps for what I'm after.

Hopefully no more bruises on my neck :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Can anyone recommend me a product that will get my dirtbike plastics looking all new and shiney again?

Car wash should do the trick. If they're completely horrible and you want them super shiny take them off and soak them in a bucket for an hour or so. (Although they're just going to get dirty again).

e: after washing them you could try cutting & polishing and then waxing them :/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

How do I get the sticker off a Leo Vince can? I suspect it's pretty high strength adhesive since its for exhaust.

I think big stickers look tackier than gently caress.

*Not my pipe but same gawdy sticker

Could try Turps or Acetone, but I don't know what they'd do to the (paint?).

You can be pretty much guaranteed Acetone will cut away the glue though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Z3n posted:

Is it older CF? You'll have a ghost sticker where the carbon hasn't faded.

Otherwise, they've always just peeled off for me. CF doesn't get that hot so sometimes a heat gun helps.

If it's CF it shouldn't get damaged by Acetone, etc.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Alright, I raided a radio shack near me and got a bunch of stuff.

I have;

micro diodes that are rated at 50v 1a.
rectifier diodes that are rated at 50piv 6a.
epoxy rectifiers that are rated at 400piv 3a. (I don't know why I grabbed this. It looked like a diode. :v: )

It sounds like the rectifier diodes will work. But is 6amps enough?

Wow, I read that wrong the first glance.

Question: My centre stand bounces around a bit when I'm going slow, probably when I'm moving at a decent pace as well, but I can't hear it then - is this normal? Or should I be getting it looked at? It doesn't cause any problems, but it is pretty annoying because I keep thinking there's something wrong with my bike -_-' If it's not normal, what could I do about it? Thanks :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

invision posted:

Tighten up the bolts and new springs

Sir Cornelius posted:

Unless Mr. Shimrod tighten the bolts enough to crush the bushings, that will hardly help. The spring might me an issue, but I doubt it. I'm willing to bet that Mr. Shimrod miss a rubber cushion. Pictures will help to prove me right.

Thanks, both of you :)

I haven't even touched the centre stand except to put the thing up on it a few times, so I'll have a look. I assume I'd have to get the springs, etc. ordered in. Where would I look for these rubber cushions?

Here's a picture of the end of the spring where it hooks onto the bike - can't see it from that angle, but it looks like that screw where it clips on is bent downwards.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r153/CN_Shimrod/2012-02-06134701.jpg

Can sort of see it in this one:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r153/CN_Shimrod/2012-02-06134754.jpg

This is the spring - it's got about 3mm of movement in it when I push in the middle of it.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r153/CN_Shimrod/2012-02-06134716.jpg

Thanks guys :)

(slidebite your bike looks awesome and I agree that sticker is way out of place on that bike, looks odd) - also, how is your bike standing up there? I can't see a side stand down or anything :/ Do you have one of those wheel stands?

e: There's a reason I couldn't see any rubbers - it was gone :( Good guess on that one :) Got some more to put on.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 6, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I have locking panniers (that use a padlock and hasp, not a built-in lock). Though I admit my helmet is still unprotected, really need to get a helmet lock.

Can you not lock it under your seat? Basically every bike I've ever seen lets you remove the seat and there's a hook thing on each side that you can put the D things on the helmet over to 'lock' it in there. Of course, all they have to do is cut the chin strap to get it, but it's pretty pointless then unless they actually feel like repairing it.

Still better than nothing :/

@Pompous Rhombus

I'd just go ahead and get the license - is there really anything they can/would do seeing how it's not actually work related? As long as you don't actively go out to get yourself killed (which I assume you're not planning on doing anyway) I don't really see an issue with it. It's basically them hating on motorcycles like a gf/parent.

Sounds safer to upgrade to something more powerful anyway.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

By "every bike you've seen" do you mean "Hondas"? Because that's really what I've seen stock helmet-locks on the most. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a stock helmet lock on any other bike, but I've only ridden a few Hondas, Yamahas, a Kawasaki DS, a vintage Suzuki, and a Ninja 250 or two. I also don't see them on Harleys, but those don't count. By no means do I have comprehensive riding experience across brands.

My Enfield and Triumph(-like object) have bolted-down seats, and no accessories of any kind. But, like the mentioned Harleys, they don't count.

Nah, I mean pretty much every bike that I've seen, even my little brothers dirt bike has one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Ok, yeah mine's an '07 and has the same bar.

In other news, the wife is letting me keep the Honda and I'm heavily considering turning it into a cafe racer style bike for local twisties. Someone tell me this is a terrible idea...

That is a great idea.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm kind of curious just how the basic riding course takes two days to complete? Or 3 for that matter.

My QRide (same as MSF basically) took about 6 hours and most of that was scooting around the city just riding basically.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I think that complaining about people doing safety courses is just a tiny bit arrogant.

I didn't mean to come across as if I had done that, I was just wondering why it took 2 - 3 days. Seems like it covers a lot more than the basic QRide stuff - we have to go to private companies for advanced training like it seems you guys get as part of your MSF.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

My three helmets (GMAX GM68S, Zox Genessis, and Vemar Jiano EVO TC) all have meshes (metal or plastic) underneath all the vents to prevent that from happening.

My Rjays has a plastic one as well, although it doesn't stop big juicy ones that explode from flowing through D:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

This is true. I have forgotten about big ones, and have focused only on small ones. The big, juicy ones to tend to slip though, but that's not an issue of any helmet once you get to that scale.

Yeah, just make sure your mouth is closed.

I consider myself lucky I keep my mouth shut most the time.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Quite difficult when one is singing Sweet Caroline/Rocket Man/Walkin' After Midnight at the top of one's lungs. :shobon:

True that.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You could also get one of these. We use them all the time on various cars we pick up for my brothers mechanic business that dont start. We've also used them on the dirt bikes we have a few times when the battery was making GBS threads itself but the stores were closed over the weekend/holidays.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Security question: I'm parking my bike in a public are for the first time in several months, and I'm wondering about my security strategy. I've got a medium-grade name-brand security chain going around a large-diameter metal pole and have the lock affixed to a frame member on my bike. I have also covered it with a bike cover. I'm not sure whether I should also, or instead, target the wheel. I could lock the rim to the frame, but I'd be vulnerable to people lifting the bike into a van. Should I add some visible security around one of the wheels? The motorcycle does not have a steering lock.

I've been advised to/do put my chain through both my wheels as well as the frame.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Some of you may remember some time ago I mentioned there was a knocking sound coming from my bike - initially I thought it was the centre stand knocking on the bottom frame of the bike and ended up putting a new rubber spacer on it as the old one was gone. Well, the knocking is still there and I had a look today and there's nothing loose down there (the back of the bike). I checked if the exhaust was loose and hitting on anything and they're both solid, everything else I can see from the outside seems fairly solid as well.

I was playing around with it earlier and it seems that the knock is only there when the bike is moving on its own power and it seems to be at a regular interval - I think it's every rotation of the rear tyre. If I push the bike there is no noise, however if I crawl it along in 1st (or any gear) and let the bike do the work the knock is there. Would anyone have any slight idea what this could be?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

An observer posted:

Is it a heavy thunking, or a vibration of some sort? Does it speed up when the bike does?

The best way I can describe is it as a knocking sound - as if something was hitting against something else.

Z3n posted:

Chain have a really nasty link or is there an issue with your sprockets? Wheel bearing? Any play in the rear wheel?

How would I know if there's an issue with my sprockets? Or the wheel bearing? What do you mean by "play in the rear wheel" ? Everything feels perfectly fine when I'm riding except there is a thudding noise.

e: I just put the bike on its centre stand and checked out the chain - everything looks fine, all the links look normal and the same as eachother.

I rolled the wheel around and was able to replicate the sound so the under bikes power idea is out the window I guess.

I'll make a quick video of it on my phone and put it on YouTube so you guys can hear the noise.

Here we go, you can hear the noise fairly well in it.

http://youtu.be/0Fyj63BVT-s

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 3, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Turns out my sprocket is worn - went over my sisters for dinner and my brother who was also there and a family friend had a look at it and said the rear sprocket was worn. The chain also jumps a bit when it makes that noise which seems to happen at the same spot on the chain every time.

Going to get new sprockets and chain on Monday.

e: this probably should have been something obvious to some of you guys, but I'm not very mechanically blessed naturally so I need to go on journeys of discovery at least once! At least I'll know what it is for next time and not have to annoy you guys :D

Thanks again for all the help.

(Should I get the dealer to put the sprockets/chain on or is it something the average joe whose been around motorbikes for ages can do? If so I'll probably bribe dad with a cup of coffee and get him to show me how to do it (provided you don't need special tools or anything)).

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 3, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

You should be able to do it yourself. It's not exactly science. Also your front sprocket is definitely worn if your rear is. A general rule of replacement is 1 rear sprocket for every two front sprocket for every tree chains.

Get an X-ring chain. It's worth it, and the above equation will change to: chain life equals rear sprocket life. Quality X-ring chains are in my experience really superior to O-rings. D.I.D. would be my choice. They might seem expensive but they'll be cheapest in the end. If you just keep them clean they'll outlast your sprockets.

Also get a closed chain, and don't listen to post beneath this, that'll tell you that a riveted chain is just as good. Even if a rivited chain was just as good, a chain change is a perfect opportunity to check and lubricate your swingarm bushings with delicious copper grease (unless they're PVC, in which case you should replace them with bronze).

Definitely do it yourself. You won't need any special tools for dropping your swingarm, replacing sprockets and fitting a closed x-ring chain.

Thanks. I'll pick the stuff up on Monday.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

My pleasure, Sergeant Shimrod. Post pictures if in doubt.

You might need a $20 impact driver, a solid hammer and some hex bits to remove the rear sprocket. Also get some red Locktite http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm or some equivalent thread locker to secure the bolts once you replace the rear sprocket.

Thanks, we'll have all that stuff down the shed, Loctite included - my brother runs a mechanics shed (doesn't know bikes though).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

You should be able to just rock up at any bike shop and ask for a battery that will fit/work with your bike and they can just look up what one it is.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

What is sea foam? I'm assuming its not actual foam from the ocean. What's its purpose?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I know I can hit Neutral on my '91 ZZR250 while moving, but it's easy as piss when stopped.

I know I can hit it while moving because I did just that at a Traffic light as I took off and went to go into second.

"THE gently caress AREN'T YOU MOVING OH GOD PLEASE DON'T RUN INTO THE BACK OF ME"

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ola posted:

Shimrod's profile says Australia. I guess it's called something different there as well.

Yep, Australian over here.

So it's just one of those engine cleaners you can put in your fuel tank when you fill up and it gives the engine a cleaning?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There was a bit of tar on mine that we just scratched out with out fingers. I assume it's been there for years as it was a bit different colour when we looked underneath where the tar had been.

Should note you will need decent sized nails to do it, I couldn't get it with mine because I'd cut them, but a mate was able to get it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

slidebite posted:

Old Helmets that you no longer use but never crashed:

1) Scrap
2) Goodwill
3) Sell for $25

??

I plan on getting a pole, putting a base on it and drilling a hole in the top of my old helmets (except for a spare obviously) then over time making a totem pole of helmets.

I think I saw a picture of it once and liked the idea.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

This is genius. Found an ADVRider link.

That must be where I saw it - the link was viewed on my browser.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I get paid mileage to commute on my bike :smug:

Its good times.

Do they ever wonder why your bike fuel consumption is higher than the cars?

:v: "My commute is 300km long through UNFORTUNATE twisties!"

:( "But you live around the corner.."

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Hey dudes, picked up a Yamaha FZR-R 250cc bike, and my google-fu is failing me - is there a difference between the FZR and the FZR-R?

The only FZR-R I could find via google was a 400cc version of the FZR.

e:The FZR250 was produced from 1986 to 1988. 1989 to 1994 models were called FZR250R and gained Yamaha's exhaust power valve technology - EXUP (EXhaust Ultimate Power).

I swear I checked Wikipedia earlier ...

Thanks anyhow.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 18, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ola posted:

More Rs in the name, more :argh: in the game.

If that's the case, it kind of surprises me that people don't turn their Busas into HayabusaRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I only go into neutral when I'm parking or if I'm going to be stopped for a long enough time that I can't be assed to hold the clutch in.

If I'm stuck in roadworks or anything I'll just N and turn it off then get off for a stretch/smash my face into the tank out of irritation at being stuck in the same roadworks for 20 minutes for the 800th time that day because I do a lot of work around there. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

I'm always scared that the lever will snap off if I use that much force. :ohdear:

Roadworks are the worst, especially then they're resealing roads with pebbly gravel. My first group ride (60 bikes) went on this one road that was about 10km long and the whole thing was gravel. 10km @ 20km/hr is a long-rear end time to be doing that poo poo.

Yeah, one of my first rides ever we went out and there was a "surprise" roadworks - they must have just finished and were packing up their road signs on the other side of the roadworks and I nearly went face down in some really bad gravel poo poo (which doesn't do crap to fix the road). That was about 2.5km long.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I actually went and had laser done because I just couldn't do contacts. They were fine once in, but I just could not get the little bastards in.

I was trying to find a pic of the Speed Triple with massive ape hangers, but found this instead:

you ain't aped 'til you standin up to ride

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a loving trooper!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Odette posted:

Generally, the oil filter should come with new o-rings and springs, right?

Going to go on a limb and say yes - mine did when I got it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Had a motorcycle lesson yesterday, two things I wanted to get cleared up:

1) For the slalom, at what point of the weave/lean is it best to give the bike a little bit of juice? I practiced it a bit and did alright, but there's definitely room for improvement. It's timed on the test, so gotta take it at speed; the instructor said to take it in third, which is what I've been doing.

2) Didn't get to the starting on an incline practice, it's a 10% incline on the test. I'm guessing: right foot on the rear brake, give it some extra throttle, slip the clutch as I let out the brake, when I start to feel the bike move forward, start letting off the rear brake?

For 1 I just kept it steady the whole time as I was instructed (I also keep it steady when I practice my saloon on the road).

For 2 - pretty much. Engage 1st, right foot on brake, release clutch to its grip point, give it some revs and basically make sure it doesn't stall/roll backwards as you let off the brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm not sure I understand why you'd give it extra throttle in some parts and let off in others - especially as the saloom is very rapid. Wouldn't it make it very choppy and unstable? That's why we were told to get to our 40km/h and hold it steady. Same with the figure of 8. Get to 30 and keep steady on the throttle otherwise it's unnecessarily choppy and more likely to be dropped.

Maybe it's different on different bikes. I was on a ZZR250 and everyone else was on GS500's. Instructor was on a Virago though.