Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

The ad says he still has the stock pipes and baffles so if you do it yourself it would cost you only time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

He is selling it for a reason, it can't hurt to try. My guess is its paid off. How long as it been sitting on Craig's List? I'd say offer him KBB value (show up with cash) and the negotiate from there if he doesn't bite.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Ola posted:

About every second tank of gas. By the way, the DuPont stuff isn't sold over here but I bought some universal lubricant that had PTFE in it. (It can't say "teflon" cause that's a protected brand) I'm just wondering how similar it is to the DuPont stuff, when you spray it on does it look like WD40? Thin flowing, slightly white foaming?
I actually grabbed some this weekend at Lowe's after the previous talk about it. It comes out like a regular aerosol but its much stickier (duh) then WD40. Its clear and unless you spray a ton of it in the same spot it doesn't foam up. I stuck a piece of cardboard behind my chain in front of the wheel to prevent overspray onto the wheel. I should have taken a picture, there was a big buildup directly behind the chain. It looked like it flowed down from gravity across the cardboard but it only made it about an inch before it started to thicken up.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

^^^ Good advice from Nero, don't listen to mine. Unless of course you meant your bike was parked in your driveway when you couldn't get it into first.

fnkels posted:

I had some trouble getting my bike into first from neutral today. Usually when I'm at a light for a while, I'll shift to neutral and when its time to go, go back to 1st.

A couple of times I stomped on the shifter and eventually it would go to first, but it wouldn't be easy like normal. What would this usually mean, and what kind of maintenance am I looking at?

You might try rolling the bike a few inches forward or back. Sometimes it won't shift cleanly if the guts aren't lined up correctly.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

^^ I don't have a flyscreen or a good helmet :(

Uthor posted:

How are bikes like this or the naked SV650 on the interstate? I love the looks of standards without all the plastics, but I keep looking at the Versys for interstate riding. I mean, they have to be better than my small cruiser with absolutely no wind protection, but I'm completely sick of getting really tired after a couple hours at 70 mph.

I commute on I-10 in Phoenix with my naked SV650 daily. The wind really depends on how much traffic there is. On a day with lighter traffic I can go 80 to 85 mph with the wind not bothering me. Other days with a ton of traffic 65mph is about all I can handle. Also, for some reason, it has been extremely windy here the last couple weeks. The natural wind on top of interstate wind makes the ride extra exciting.

The thing about interstate wind is it isn't in one direction, it hits you from all angles. You can't just lean to keep the bike straight, you have to constantly be ready for sudden changes. I rode a GS500F for a while on the same commute and I don't remember the wind being as assaulting as it is on the SV.

If you are plan on a lot of interstate riding get something with at least a bikini fairing and you will probably be happier. That being said, I personally prefer the naked standards, I wouldn't trade mine for an S.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Is there an easy way to remove a helmet visor? I got some no fog spray, but its hard to get it on the inside of the visor.

Also is there any reason not to remove the stickers that identify the maker of the helmet. I have an all black KBC helmet, and the big silver KBC sticker on the front looks out of place sometimes.

I'm not sure of the KBC helmets, but my HJC has a simple locking mechanism on both sides of the helmet to hold the visor in place. The directions that came with the helmet should show you how.

The sticker on my HJC also peeled right off, it was more of a cling than glue that held it on.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Last night I tore the bike apart and inspected the exhaust header flanges, chain tension, rear tire alignment, and even did a quick drive around the neighborhood trying to locate and identify the noise. Even without a helmet covering my ears, without the fairings on the bike doesnt make the noise. I guess some piece of plastic is vibrating to all hell, making a VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV sound as I drive down the road in certain rpm ranges. I think the fix for this is going to be wearing my earplugs more often :downs:

Leave the fairings off :black101:

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Is that the new seat?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX36V-RED-Earbud-Headphone/dp/B001EYU3KS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247245120&sr=1-3

I use these headphones and they block out a lot of wind and road noise, very happy with them!

I have the same, or very similar, headphones. They were ~ 30 bucks at Best Buy and I'm happy with them. They come with a few different size buds so you have a good chance of finding ones that fit good. When I put my helmet on I pull apart the chin straps very lightly so the inside of the helmet doesn't shift the buds in my ear. The buds are flexible so they do a good job of blocking outside noise as well.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I'll have to screw around with mine a little more, I guess. They're in-ears, like the etys and others linked. Here's a stock photo.My problem is if they don't stay put correctly, they don't block nearly as much external noise, and sound like poo poo. Hell, if I can't get them to work, I hope at least those foam plugs will work.

I don't disagree that the Etymotic are awesome, I just can't see shelling out that much cash. Seriously, try the $30 Sony ones, the flexible buds work well. If you don't like them what is $30 when you are going to spend $80 to $150?

Edit: Oops, I clicked the picture and realized you already had Sony ones. I'm surprised they don't work for you but I guess ears are shaped different on everyone.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Admittedly, I know jack about Minnesota and Nebraska DMV legalities.

In Arizona, you can pay $1 to get a temporary three day plate. I would looking into a temporary plate option, do the research first (if you really want to sell it, hell, even spend the couple bucks yourself) and suggest it to the buyer.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

At work I'm usually the last one in the building so the good parking spots are taken up by the time I get in.

There aren't too many places, that I frequent, that have motorcycle parking in Phoenix so I don't feel bad about taking a car spot. One of the data centers I frequent has an empty dumpster enclosure so I park in there most of the time and its about 10 feet from the door. Another data center has only metered parking so I park in a parking garage a block away. The parking garage motorcycle parking is by monthly contract only so I'm an rear end in a top hat and park there for free anyway. You can get in and out without going through the gates.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

I just took my old plan, and added a Suzuki GSX-R1000 to my plan with the same options listed above

Premium Prior to Change: $494.00
Premium After Change: $2,868.00

Difference: $2,374.00 increase

:v: Slightly out of my budget for now

Thats why you ride without insurance. What kind of squid are you?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Where's the best place to buy tires at these days?

I can't remember where I used to order them online before.
http://www.swmototires.com/

But shop around the usual places for deals.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

It's toast...replace the fuse and you should be good to go.

Nonsense, wrap it in a tinfoil gum wrapper and be done with it.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I recently purchased a Hotbodies undertail kit and apparently it doesn't come with a plate light, hooray for reading product descriptions. I'd like to drill and mount a light on the undertail kit before I install it and was thinking of a white LED. Does anyone have any recommendations on a light and resistor? Are the light and resistor something I can pick up at Radio Shack? I was hoping to install the LED on the same wires as the current stock plate light. Is this possible or is there a better solution? I'd like it to be something I can pick up in town and not order something online.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Last time I got a bike and re-registered it, I kept the old plates.

hrm I wonder if this dude is planning to keep his plates.

Anyway the only places Id ride is to my gym, and they have a parking lot, so Id like to think I'd be okay.

Does California have temporary plates? In Arizona we can go online and print out a temporary plate for $1 and its good for three days. I have no idea if you can do it with a motorcycle but I'd imagine you can.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good choice, if I ever update my daily driver bike from the SV650 it will be a street triple.

Same here. It seems that the Street Triple is the more mature version of the SV.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I miss that show...

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

NoDoorway posted:

The Ventura rack has been ordered :v:

Don't you dare put an ugly rack on that beautiful bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

There was another test I remember where the dude tested the breaking point of the o-rings after soaking them in various cleaners, he used a force gauge and measured how much force was needed to pull the rings apart.

The rings soaked in WD-40 were dramatically weaker than the rings soaked in kerosene, so I'd say you should use kerosene to clean your chain.

It's cheap and works the best, odor-free kerosene is the same thing as lamp oil and most barbecue starter fluids, it can be found everywhere.

Walmart typically has kerosene in their camping sections for cheap.

I find kerosene works great but a brush and rag only gets so much grime off. A propelled cleaner, aerosol or similar, helps clean poo poo out of the nooks and crannies.