Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Would a 1983 Honda CM250c be a good first 'real' motorcycle? I'm currently commuting on a Honda Elite 80 scooter, and am looking for another bike with some more power to tinker with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
ohmanohmanohman riding motorcycles is so much fun. I took my new-to-me CL350 to work today for the first time, 15 miles along the San Diego coast. Life is good.

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahr braaaaaahr braaaaah

Any good ideas for a clock that I can add to my bike without using tape? Either on the bar between the handlebars or somewhere with the gauges?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bonus points for using an indiglo watch, so you can see it at night :science:

Seriously, "an old watch" is the best answer to your question. I went round and round trying to find a clock back when I owned 3 bikes that didnt have clocks, and the only options that arent garbage are hideously expensive or hideously KURYAKYNNYYNNYN CHROME CHOPPER STURGIS poo poo that no normal human wants around their bike. Or, oftentimes, both.

I didn't even think of using a wrist watch. Thanks folks!

How about some affordable pants that will offer protection in a crash? I already have boots, gloves, jacket and helmet. My leg meat feels vulnerable! I'd like something that I can just slip on over my slacks, that would hopefully save me from wearing my calf skin on my rear end if I fall off.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I wish nobody would ever use philips-head bolts/screws again for anything. Use a hex head, alan head, etc. Anything but a philips.

And no torx either.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
1973 Honda CL350

I just hit 2,500 miles on this bike, and almost exactly as the odometer rolled over to the 0 it started smoking. White smoke comes out of the vent hose that runs from the top of the motor down to the ground. I've never seen this bike leak a drop of oil, but I haven't checked it in the last 1,500 miles either. I stopped at a gas station and got some oil. It took a whole quart without showing on the dipstick, so I added a little more until it hit the mid-line.

Would lack of oil create smoke, or is it probably a blown gasket somewhere? I got this bike with 1,066 miles on it, and I took it right to the shop. They replaced fuel petcocks, cleaned the tank, rebuilt the carbs, did an oil change, etc. so I wasn't worried about the oil level :(

e: obviously it's leaking from somewhere, but only when it's running maybe? It leaves literally zero drops on the garage floor.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

When did you last adjust the valves? Does it smoke upon startup out of the tailpipe, but then quiet down with the smoking unless you rev the piss out of it? Also, many motorcycles are on 1,000 mile oil changes, and you are a Bad Person (tm) for letting it go 1500 miles without even checking the dipstick. T-CLOCS, motherfucker! Old bikes aren't like new cars - you need to check poo poo and adjust poo poo fairly frequently (in comparison).

The FSM says 2000 for oil changes, but you're right. I've felt guilty every mile it's gone since 1000. I don't believe the valves have ever been adjusted, as it only has 2,500 miles on it I didn't think they would've gone out of whack yet.

No smoke is coming out of the tail pipe - so far it only seems to be coming from the vent tube. If it ran low enough it makes sense to me that the engine could be cooking itself and that's wht the smoke is from?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

A vehicle that old that only has 2500 miles on it is probably in desperate need of a complete engine rebuild because most of the seals, etc are probably shot (re: hard as a rock and not actually sealing anything) from sitting, so it's probably pissing out oil.

Something like this ought to do the job, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Gasket-Honda-CB350-CL350/dp/B00C0ZJ824/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406044073&sr=8-2&keywords=cl350+gasket
or
http://www.amazon.com/Athena-P40021...ds=cl350+gasket

If it smokes on the way home after having the oil topped off I will plan on rebuilding her on the kitchen table. More projects, that's what I need :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

A vehicle that old that only has 2500 miles on it is probably in desperate need of a complete engine rebuild because most of the seals, etc are probably shot (re: hard as a rock and not actually sealing anything) from sitting, so it's probably pissing out oil.

I topped up the oil and rode the bike home - it did perfectly, no more smoke. I rode it again today and all is well. I'm sure I've taken some life off of the motor, unfortunately :( I'll be sure to check the oil way more frequently.

I also discovered that my 1973 Honda came with a built-in tool box and a full set of tool:

I don't think you get this kind of thing with a new bike, do you?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

dictionar.com posted:

If you're thinking of rebuilding a 73 w/ 2k original miles at home, you should sell it and buy one with 50k miles to tinker with instead. Or keep it and buy one for about 800$ that needs work to scratch the itch of learning about the hoary guts of the thing. You'll spend way more on replacement soft parts anyway in a rebuild so might as well not waste a vanishingly rare bike. Does it leak oil in weird ways? Yes. Are your carb diaphragms shot leading to poor performance? Yep. Are you going to encounter corrosion issues in the electrical? 100%. Will you ever get your hands on another 32 year old machine that's basically just broken in? Nope, never ever ever.

Would you really call this a vanishingly rare bike? I know it's special in that it's in amazing shape and has super low miles, but there seem to be a lot of them out there. I'm not going to NOT ride it because it's in good shape, though I do feel slightly guilty every time the odometer kicks over another zero.

I'm not planning to rebuild it until it really needs it, and it's running well now that it has oil in it :doh: I feel like I've had my one oops moment with this bike, and it seems to have forgiven me for it. The key now will be keeping on top of regular maintenance.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Would driving through a dirt parking lot or something like that help?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have re-attached my rear wheel after getting a new tire put on. The chain adjusters are tight (not torqued, as my torque wrench won't go as low as the 24 ft lbs specified), and the axle nut is torqued to the 65 ft lbs specified by Honda. The chain has about 30 mm of freeplay, which is on the edge but within spec of the 30-40 mm freeplay called for. The wheel even looks aligned and the bike is riding well around town, but I haven't taken up to speeds above 30 mph or so. So why am I nervous about getting back out on the highway and having the wheel fall off of the chain bind up or something? It just seems like it was too easy to get this all back together, and the tolerances are too "loose", so to speak, for me to feel totally comfortable about the situation. I'm sure that if I go 30 miles down the highway and then bounce through the boonies and no ill befalls me I'll feel fine but I just can't get over this nagging feeling........

Make yourself feel better by double checking everything. Make sure the axle nut is torqued down and has the cotter pin going through like it should. Did you have weight on the bike when you adjusted the chain? I just did mine for the first time and did it with the bike on the center stand. I rode it a few miles and noticed that the chain was somewhat slack again, so now I have to do it again with my fatbody weight on it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's no cotter pin.

Is there a hole for one?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My bike is a '73 Honda CL350. It has a 2.38 gallon fuel tank, and states that the reserve tank is .53 gallons. Does anyone know if the reserve is in addition to the normal tank? Is the reserve a separate portion of the fuel tank?

I fill up every 80 miles or so because I don't want to worry about running out of gas and I hate when it sputters on me. Can I just turn the fuel petcock to reserve instead of the regular run mode, and drain it all the way to the bottom before filling up again? I've been getting about 45mpg on 91 octane fuel. I think I need to take a long ride with a gas can and see how far I can really go on one tank.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
1973 Honda CL350 - about 3900 miles on it. The bike has performed almost flawlessly over the last 3000 miles I put on it. Just the other day I noticed some hesitation between 7-9000 rpm. It's like the motor is struggling to keep accelerating, like it's not getting enough gas or air. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have a '73 Honda CL350 with about 4,000 miles on it. I got about a half mile from home this morning when it hesitated on throttle. I kept the throttle cranked and the bike made a loud POP sound as the hesitation was gone and I was able to accelerate away. I pull over and there's a stream of oil coming down from behind the crank case cover. Any ideas what the popping was? I assume it was a gasket being destroyed...

I've ordered a gasket set and I'm planning on replacing the piston rings as well. Is there anything else I should do to this motor when I have it out and apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

I have a '73 Honda CL350 with about 4,000 miles on it. I got about a half mile from home this morning when it hesitated on throttle. I kept the throttle cranked and the bike made a loud POP sound as the hesitation was gone and I was able to accelerate away. I pull over and there's a stream of oil coming down from behind the crank case cover. Any ideas what the popping was? I assume it was a gasket being destroyed...

I've ordered a gasket set and I'm planning on replacing the piston rings as well. Is there anything else I should do to this motor when I have it out and apart?

Gasket set and piston rings have been ordered - I'm getting excited to finally see how this thing ticks (and pops...)! I'm planning on taking care of the surface rust while the engine is out as well. The bike was in beautiful almost brand-new shape when I got it, but driving it thousands of miles along the coast seems to have introduced a little salt to the mix.