Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle to ride with my girlfriend while I'm college. I've been on the fence for a while, but her dad is moving to Mexico and just offered to sell his Honda VFR750 to me for "whatever I can afford". I don't want to lowball him because the bike is in excellent condition, but I can really afford around $2000. It needs new front brakes and the carbs synched/tuned but other than that it seems pretty flawless. It was his daily driver up until now and was kept up in good condition its entire life.

I'm new to riding and plan on taking proper safety courses and getting full armor and learning on her Ninja 250 before taking the 750 anywhere. I've been wanting one for a while but never had the testicular fortitude due to living in Southern California around some of the worst drivers in existence, but with gas prices as high as they are and as cool as bikes seem to be, it's slowly drifting me in this direction.

What are your guys' thoughts on a Honda VFR750 for $2000? I'm an extremely safe driver and won't do anything stupid. I know it's a large bike to start with but driving around the 250 should theoretically give me the starter skills necessary to be safe with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the advice, guys. It's a '94. It would be replacing my car in Santa Cruz. I always have my dad's extra car to drive around if need be. I'm looking for about $4k for my car and should be getting around 3k with my unemployment settlement with Starbucks for back pay.

2k is about as much as I can afford for a bike before repairs and armor. He's fine with that because he's moving out of country and I'm his daughter's boyfriend, after all. :)

Just have to figure out who would want to buy my car. (1975 Volvo 240 with a 16v turbo engine) :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Need help identifying a bulb for my HID's. The mounting tabs on one of them broke and need to be replaced ASAP.

They're bulbs that already have pre-built wires into them. They came from a kit using Hella modules and CQ Lighting ballasts, but they're no longer in business and I have no idea who would stock these :smith:

I've never seen tabs like that before.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's Z3n's old aftermarket bodykit with aftermarket HID's and modules. The company that produces the ballasts went out of business years ago and I am at a loss as to what I should be putting in there.

Upon further research, it seems to share the connector with an H8/H9/H11 bulb design, but I unfortunately have no idea what the differences are between these types.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bring it to autozone/pepboys and compare with the halogens they have there?

Good idea! I'll do that now. I had a brain fart and realized I'm only looking for the housing type; I can order the correct bulb online when I find out what I need.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I still sometimes accidentally shift into neutral while accelerating from a stop. :saddowns:

At least it's not nearly as bad now that I have a bolt clamping down my shift linkage

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm honestly looking to phase out my car since I never use except for when it's raining (and only because I have leathers and not a touring setup yet). If I am to have one motorcycle for everything, meaning twisties, commuting everywhere, groceries, and 400-500 mile trips every so often, what are my options? I am happy with my SV650, but I'll say that it's pretty cramped, especially for long distances.

This won't happen for at least a year or so, but I might as well start research now. I figure I'll have about $6k. So far, the best candidate I have found for this is the Honda VFR800ABS non-vtec, but any insight would be awesome, including "keep the SV, get Givi cases and bar risers and a higher seat for your lanky rear end"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm pretty much addicted to lanesplitting in all the bad ways. It's like living real life with noclip. I'd prefer something I could remove the side bags on and have no issue lane splitting in traffic/up to stoplights when I'm just around town but still have the option for side bags when necessary, hence my idea of the VFR800. My friend has a newer Concours 14 though and that thing is super nice and the ST1300 doesn't look half bad either.

The R1150R looks pretty interesting, but aren't BMW's in general extremely expensive to maintain?

How much is insurance on sport-tourers versus standards? As it stands, my car is only $18/month to cover so it's almost nothing to keep around, but it gets 16/city and 23 highway. :smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The Tuonos are goddamned sweet. But what's the real difference between the V4R and a 1000R with the new Rotax engine they put in? And aren't they even more expensive to maintain than BMW's?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What do you all recommend for insurance?

I'm 22, had my license since I was able to get it (and my M1 since September) and have never gotten a ticket. Progressive seems less expensive than Geico but I'm not really sure what all these different policies entail. :psyduck:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

thylacine posted:

Do you have car insurance or renter's/home owners insurance? Bundling is the way to go. Full coverage on my bike is $80/6 months(lol adventure/dual-sport insurance is cheap anyway) because we have other stuff on the policy.

And yes road rage dude, you're an idiot. Just let it go or rage inside your helm. Think of it jerk-offs who taunt you the same way you think about internet trolls.

The problem is that my car is under my dad's insurance policy. I'm wondering if I could add the motorcycle to his policy and keep me as the primary rider... paying $30/month right now for theft and liability only. :saddowns:

I'll also look into PSIC. Thanks!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

An observer posted:

Thanks for the advice re: sv650, guys. :)

I started on an SV650 with my only previous experience being a manual car and riding a bicycle when I was (way) younger. I feel that the power is extremely manageable at all RPM's because you're not getting any surges at weird RPM's. The power is definitely there, but I could ride the bike all day long accelerating at a snail's pace if I wanted. It only goes as fast as you want it to.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

lowcrabdiet posted:

How well will the experience transfer to my SV?

Also, is there anything I should bring or prepare?

having ridden with my friend while he was on his s1000rr, I'd say "a change of underwear"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SV650's use cable clutches.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My hands are huge. What are my options for aftermarket grips? The stock Bandit ones are basically the width of the bar. I put an r6 throttle tube on my SV and I really liked the width of that.

I mean, I could, uh, always put an R6 throttle tube on the Bandit... right? :ninja:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What is proper upshifting for a Bandit 1200? With my SV650, it wouldn't allow me to upshift unless I had a bit of throttle, but the Bandit 1200 likes the throttle completely off to smoothly go from first to second to third. If I give it any throttle at all while upshifting it feels like gears are lightly grinding. I don't know how to describe it other than that. :saddowns: Is this normal? Not that I'm gonna be clutchless upshifting any time soon but it's nice to know how your gearbox works.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So when my bike is cold, I sometimes here what sounds like something in my engine whipping around. I'm guessing it's the cam chain or something similar but I could be wrong. It only happens when it isn't warmed up. Is it something I should be worried about or is this normal?

Bike is a Bandit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's not really a sewing machine sound. It sounds like something whipping around randomly in my crank case. It goes away when I give it a bit of gas but when it's still cold and I bring in the clutch it makes the whipping sound again. The taptaptaptap from the valves is there, but I can really only describe it as above.

I wish I could describe it better. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the advice, MotoMind. I use that for my cars, actually! On the subject of stethoscopes, silicon vacuum tubing works great for diagnosing vacuum leaks as well.

Z3n's heard it too I'm guessing so it's definitely that though. Thanks, guys! :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You could try soaking it in WD or another penetrating lubricant (ha) then using a hammer to smack a socket on it. That's worked a few times for me when working on cars. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is the SMH10 the one that you can plug your headphones into instead of using the speaker pads? Z3n impregnated one in my helmet but I'm looking to upgrade to the earbud one for trips.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

But what about the battery / button part? :ohdear:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is there a difference between the Bandit 1200 and Bandit 600 valve covers? I can't find any 1200's for sale but plenty of 600's. :(

But my new head gasket will be here Monday and my spark plug cover gaskets later this week. :dance:

Oh and what are my options for larger grips? My hands are so large that I can't even fully wrap around the handlebars because the tips of my fingers touch my palm. :saddowns:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 17, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

I think there might be. Are there any stamps on the cover you've got? There's 3 different part numbers for Bandit valve covers. One of them is for both 600 and 1200 while one of them is 1200 only and has the breather placed a tad off. There's also a slight difference in the rise for the valve-chain spokes and chains. A 600 cover might fit, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

Why do you need a new valve cover. Didn't Z3n just buy you that brutal road-train? If it's just because it's ugly and pitted, there's an easy fix for that. Suzuki aluminum alloy of that decade can be polished to chrome glance relatively easily once you get rid of the clear-coat.

For grips there are tons of options. Ask for adjustable ham-fist grips at your local dealer. He'll find something that'll fit you. If not make threatening choke moves with those elephant fists. Better try the fit live than buying something on the Internet you'll have to return.

The reason I need a new valve cover is because it was not made of massive brute elephant hands; one of the breather bolt threads stripped which is now creating a fine leak down the side of my engine and onto my exhaust. My options are to either helicoil it, re-tap it, put some RTV or JB on it, or get a new cover entirely if I can find one for cheap. Once this is done, I need to put on a Cometic gasket for the 1216 kit since the previous owner ran the stock OEM headgasket and not the one that comes with the one Dale Walker sells on his site. While I'm in there, I might as well do the valves... and the clutch and exhaust gaskets since both parts came with the bike.

But once that's all done it will be perfect. Perfect. :black101:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

infraboy posted:

I've had my suspension setup by Rob at Evolution suspension in Santa Clara by the San Jose airport, definitely knows his poo poo too. best 40$ spent on 2 of my bikes.

GSX-R 1000, he backed off preload in the forks a lot, and adjusted the clickers a bit. he backed off preload on the rear shock a lot too and adjusted it for high/lowspeed compression and rebound, since apparently the whole bike was setup way too stiff for me, Previous owner was a pretty hefty 250+lb guy and I weigh around 190. The ride was definitely improved a lot on the street, apparently the gsx-r 1000 forks have a pretty narrow range in their motion that is actually damped, so for around 300$ he said he could put better oil in them, and a less stiff spring for my weight, and do a little work on them that'll give them a greater range of damping motion. Definitely something i'm considering.

My Tuono factory didn't need a huge amount of adjustment since, backed off preload a little in the front and adjusted the rebound/compression, rear shock preload was perfect for me already and he adjusted the rebound/compression which uses hand dials instead of needing a screwdriver, took him about half the time to setup the Ohlins suspension for me instead of the gsx-r 1000.

Where do you live? I'm in Felton and looking to get my Bandit's suspension dialed in for the summer. I think I'll check this guy out!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Some guy in AI actually did a test and found that the Harbor Freight torque wrenches are within 5% spec of the Craftsman ones. For a fifth the price, I'd gladly go with one. Of course, he didn't test it after several uses... :v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What the everliving poo poo is that smilie? :stare: :eyepop:

For the same price you can just get a torque wrench and not have to worry about batteries or Harbor Freight electronic components rattling loose and setting your garage on fire or something

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Brakes are easy-- several bolts and a few clips and you're golden. If you've never done it before, I'd recommend having a friend show you since everyone knows how to change brakes and once you see it done you'll have a full understanding of it. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I will back up everything Cornelius is saying as being completely true. I use it consistently for engine work on my cars. Afterward make sure you get a shop vac and carefully suck out loose shavings before removing your cotton/other catching device and masking tape. You can never be too careful, really.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd run a dry chain over a goop chain. That gunk is horrible and sprays everywhere. Previous owner gave me a can of chain wax and it's nearly impossible to get off of hands, clothing, shoes-- everything.

If you have motor oil lying around, that's another great option for chain lube. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Now and then with my 2001 SV650, it would give me a slight hesitation when I twist the throttle, like a half second's worth, before accelerating. I checked out under the gas tank two weeks ago and saw through the de-snorkeled air filter cover that my air filter looked dirty. I plan to check deeper tomorrow, but was wondering if the slight-hesitation issue could be from that?

What RPM does it occur at? If it's consistently at a certain RPM then it might be a flat spot and you might need a rejet if it hasn't been done already. I had this issue myself, anyway.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I stirred some poo poo on BARF by saying parallel twins are boring. Seems like people like them because they have tons of "overrev" which I can only assume is lingo for "bike loses horsepower in the topend" which seems really lame and not that likeable at all

The engines are buzzier and have less torque and get worse mileage than SV's, from what I've found. I think it goes without saying that torque is the most fun you'll have while riding in 90% of the environments you're usually in, too.

edit: Those jets seem way too rich for a de-snorkel. Mikuni 142.5's are like the highest I've heard of anyone having to rejet to for any airflow and slipons.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ah. I'm unfamiliar with dual exhausts so I can't really comment. :(

Still, hesitation is usually an AFR issue, but I don't know what else it might be since I'm still learning the wizardry that is carburetion.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

OK so I guess my question is: if the bike hasn't been driven in about a year or so should I charge the battery first?

It's always a good place to start. Seafoam in the carbs/tank never hurts either.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Red Robin Hood posted:

The reviews on that poo poo are insane. Can I use it in my truck as well? I have an '89 Mazda B2200 that I feel should run better. Should I slosh some of this in the gas tank?

Yeah, totally. It is just an engine cleaner/fuel stabilizer but it is great at cleaning out bad gas as well.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

needknees posted:

Etymotic ER6i. Still my fav and my original set I got nearly 4 years ago is still kickin

Seconding this. Been using my pair for four years and they are excellent. I wish they had more bass but hey, you can't complain for the price/quality.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You can get octane boosters at local auto shops for like ~$3 that should fix that problem. Easier than emptying the gas or dealing with bad gas for a whole tank. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Air compressor!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

In the MSF course the teach that something like only 1% of accident fatalities happen on highways. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was in the same boat entering the MSF: The most experience I've had riding anything was a bicycle I owned when I was thirteen. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty straightforward though. She'll be fine on the next round. :)