Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pompous Rhombus posted:

From the previous thread:

I had a pair of soft saddlebags that I split 20kgs between for long rides. As long as the weight was at least semi-balanced it didn't affect the handling too much, although the bike did accelerate notably faster without the weight. One of those racks on the back + a bungee cord would be ideal for a laptop bag. I'm not sure I'd try riding with a messenger-type bag though, it might shift around, which could potentially distract you.

Don't try riding with a bag that doesn't have two straps attached to your shoulders. Anything else is gonna move or just feel like poo poo.

Also, my question. I want a bike for just general cruising, have riding experience, all that good stuff. Now, I love more "standard" bikes, so I was considering picking up an older V-Max, cause the couple I've been on were amazing fun. And with the right exhaust I swear they sound like a goddamn cammed small block. Anyway, any of you guys have experience with them or have a recomendation for a bike in the same vein that may be cheaper or more fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Yeah, CE certification is good, and higher numbers are better.

Helmet fit is a very individual thing, you can't just measure, you also have to take into account head shape. Go try on a bunch of helmets, there's nothing worse than a helmet that "fits" but compresses the poo poo out of your forehead, causing a massive headache after 30 seconds.

Scorpion and most Arai for me :(

HJC fits the very best, followed by Suomy and Shoei for me.

Seriously, HJC is the best feeling helmet ever for my head.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, uh, how likely am I to get pulled over on a two mile trip with a tire or two bungeed to myself or my backpack?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Depends on how many wheelies you roll running from A to B.

As it turns out, no need to worry. Called another shop, and he has a set of take off BT-45s he'll sell me for...well, let's just say they have less than 2K miles on them and it's less than a new battery. Hook up for a fellow 2 stroke rider, he says.

loving awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thylacine posted:

Why do you think you would get pulled over?

If I was a cop and saw some guy with tires bungee corded to his back, I'd probably look twice.

And I don't know if I'm too fat to do that or not, but the point is now moot. 80 for two take off tires, installing them, and putting my new chain on. loving awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sagebrush posted:

My local place charges less (and is quite a bit faster, obviously) if you just bring in the wheels, but I don't know if everybody is that nice.

It's usually like 20-40 bucks cheaper off the bike. Especially rears.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How have you never ridden a bike with a choke? That just boggles my loving mind.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
On my ZRX I can't see fuel below 2/3 tank, and even sloshing it isn't a guarantee at that point.

That said, 170 miles and I fill up or start looking for a gas station.

For a stupid question, aluminum sprocket on this bike a bad idea? Most of my riding is commute, and if the wear is really THAT much worse it doesn't make sense, I guess. But I need sprockets like...now. I also thought about changing sprockets to lower highway RPM, but I'm worried it'll make me miss the low end :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

From experience: don't go for a longer ratio. I know it seems like the engine has a shitload of low-end but it actually makes things worse overall and what you end up missing is the meaty mid-range which ends up being perpetually out of reach, especially coming out of corners, and the bike just feels extremely sluggish in general.

Also 170 miles out of a tank is pretty loving good compared to what I got, christ! I always got closer to 140.

That's what I figured. A sixth gear would just be loving nice sometimes. Stock sprockets are what, 17/42?

And yeah, and 170 is actually low. If I'm not riding like a dong, I can usually get 200 out of it. 170-180 is switch to reserve time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

revmoo posted:

No I can very smothly and extremely quickly clutchless shift, it's just that every time I do it the physical movement of shifting causes the bike to wobble. It's not a huge deal but something I'd like to train out if possible. This occurs if I shift at redline or if I short shift.

Is your entire leg moving when you shift, or is it just an ankle movement?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nitrogen posted:

If you're doing what i had done, you are yanking on the throttle too hard during clutchless shifts and pulling on the handlebars.

I had that problem for awhile, until I did California Superbike School. Then I changed my body position but never adjusted my shifter, and had the issue of moving my whole leg instead of just my ankle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Speaking of shifting issues, weird one on my ZXR. I'll be going into third and nothing is there. Like I try to shift, and the lever makes the complete motion, but never shifts into gear. Let the lever back down, and magically third gear appears.

It's totally random, happens sometimes multiple times in a day and others I can go a week without it happening once. It never misses twice in a row, and it doesn't matter if I'm using the clutch or not. When it decides I don't have third, the feel isn't even there. It's just...light and empty with no resistance until it hits the top of its travel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it just comes out at the bottom, the rubber tube that fits on that spout usually sticks out around the swing arm pivot region. No idea where the vent is, never owned a ninja 250. Looking at the picture I would guess that the filler cap itself is ventilated or there is a pipe underneath that feeds into the air intake.

I wondered what that goddamn tube was.

Now I feel dumb.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

M42 posted:

Figured out my issue with left curves. Somewhere along the way I picked up a bad habit of locking that elbow - just the left one, I do the whole "kiss the mirror, pretend grip is a screwdriver" thing on the right side without problems. Still have to consciously remind myself to bend it every time, but it's improved my left handers tons.

I have the same issue. But, mine is a little less fixable. I broke my left elbow pretty bad in a dirtbike crash when I was 8, so it bends really funny. Most bikes put it in a weird spot where it's a super conscious effort to bend it correctly for lefts.

Every bike school I've been through dinged me on it, until finally an instructor for CSS watched me for a day and just told me to "drop yer shoulda like yer tryna beat a defendeh" and it pretty much corrected me.

Still a pain in the rear end though. But his football/hockey comparison in a British accent was great.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

tranten posted:

I'm always a bit too wary to split when turning, I don't see it happen much and that means car-drivers don't see it happen much and might not be prepared for it. I know I can get out ahead of them but the less I startle the beasts the better. That being said if it looks like I won't make the first cycle of the light by hanging back then obviously I'm splitting up to the front. Obviously.

I usually won't filter up on a turn lane unless I can be safely inside the "box" next to the front car, or there's space to sneak in front of the car. Don't like being that exposed to moving traffic on one side.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Places here are an hour labor on bike ($65-85) or 15/wheel off bike.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

KTMs new off-road abs on the 1x90 adventure out brakes a Baja 1000 winner on the dirt by about 30% consistently.

On the other hand, on the RC390 everyone is getting shorter distances with the ABS turned off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Fuckkkkkk.

1199 with 44k, easy miles, all maintenance records for 6500. Yay or run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clutchpuck posted:

Hahaha, "easy miles".

It's my buddies bike. It has literally been used to commute.