Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Updated OP with revised recipe and new pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

The Jizzer posted:

Didn't you say you had a new pasta recipe?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Fresh pasta recipe:

2c all-purpose flour
1/4c semolina flour
1tsp salt
3 eggs
1 egg yolk

Mix salt and flour. Mound the flour and make a well in the center. Break eggs and yolk into the well, and using a fork, beat eggs, slowly incorporating surrounding flour.

When the mixture becomes tough to mix with a fork, start kneading.

Knead for about 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking.

The dough should be soft and pliable with a leathery texture, but not dry (crumbly) or tacky.

Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes to allow gluten to develop.

Roll out into sheets and cut into strips, or push through an extruder in walnut-sized chunks.

Notes:

- Semolina flour contributes to a nice, firm texture but is not necessary (substitute more AP flour instead)
- You may add or subtract an egg yolk depending on how dry your flour is.

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf
A friend of mine is a chef, and he recently invited me to his house in Rieti where I had the best Carbonara of my life.
His twist to the recipe is to keep the egg yolk whole & nested in the noodles, which is just amazing. (the flavor works out even better since the yolk actually reaches & partially covers the guanciale bits)

This is the only comparable image (though less appetizing) I could find:

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Does he poach the egg yolk or anything, or cook it in anyway, or is it just a whole raw egg yolk sitting on top of the pasta?

A raw egg yolk doesn't sound all that appetizing to be honest, unless I am picturing this dish incorrectly in my mind.

DancingKittycat
Jun 1, 2007

Bis 34 war i Sozialist, wor aa ka Beruf

SKEET SKEET posted:

Does he poach the egg yolk or anything, or cook it in anyway, or is it just a whole raw egg yolk sitting on top of the pasta?

A raw egg yolk doesn't sound all that appetizing to be honest, unless I am picturing this dish incorrectly in my mind.

I am pretty sure it was very lightly cooked, though I am not 100% in this specific case, actually, since I suppose reasonably hot pasta actually makes the egg yolk coagulate on the plate?
Perhaps someone who actually knows how to cook could weigh in?

The coagulation process definitely continues when the runny yolk comes in contact with the hot noodles. (so the timing is pretty delicate)

But in a more general sense, there are quite a few recipes using raw or nearly-raw eggs (I know a few from rural Southern Austria), but I suppose you don't find them as often in other countries where food safety laws aren't quite as absurdly stringent and (probably legitimate - I don't want to start an argument) fear of salmonella is more prevalent.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I've occasionally seen the presentation with the raw egg yolk, usually in a large serving saucer. The idea is that it's a fun self-assembly dish where the guest or perhaps a friendly waiter tosses the spaghetti, cheese and crisp cured pork with the egg yolk, finishing the dish. I never thought much of it, really, when I've had it that way, but I guess it's OK especially if there's guanciale or good pancetta, as well as abundant pecorino and black pepper, in there.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Have not made this in soooo long. Going to make it again tonite for my new special friend.

Should go over very well I would hope.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So, apparently I'm cooking for a party of six or so people this weekend.

I'm thinking this + grilled chicken breasts + some form of vegetable. Thoughts?

(Last time I made this I landed up reminding my sister that 'Spaghetti alla Carbonara' is not 'Spaghetti alla Panna Carbonara. Repeatedly. Heathens! :argh:)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I always make it with thick cut or butterflied and stuffed porkchops. Keep the porky goodness.

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010

The Jizzer posted:

Just finished eating this, and for the first time I avoided this mistake:

The Jizzer posted:

Do not mix with the cheese; it will curdle the eggs.

Thanks. This helped.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
Totally making this tonight.

I accidentally bought a block of asiago instead of parmesan, though, but I'm either going to go all-romano or just substitute the parmesan with the asiago

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Totally making this tonight.

I accidentally bought a block of asiago instead of parmesan, though, but I'm either going to go all-romano or just substitute the parmesan with the asiago

I'm interested in hearing how it goes if you use the asiago, that sounds (while non-traditional) like it could be delicious.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
You'd need aged, hard asiago. Even then it would be a bit odd, since asiago doesn't really have the same melting characteristics and texture as parmigiano or pecorino.

A bigger issue is that most "asiago" in the US is terrible imitation stuff mass produced in lowest common denominator dairy farms.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I do the egg nesting. It works fine as long as you mix it while it's hot.

One problem I have is that right after I add the eggs, the mixture has this "foamy" look to it. What's the cause of this? Am I adding too much liquid to the egg mixture, or does this have to do with the lack of yolk while mixing?

(I don't have bacon/pancetta so I put a little parsley in for color.)

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Uh oh, a foamy mixture is no good at all. You've accidentally made an espuma. That's pretty unusual though- generally, you'd need an emulsifier to do that. Eggs contain lecithin, but real parm contains a relatively high concentration of acid-insoluble peptides, which act as a lecithin sequestrant. Unless your parm was acidulated or otherwise adulterated (sodium citrate is a common, undeclared adulterant in parmesan), it should actually inhibit the formation of foams. Check your parm, something's not right about that.

Could you post pics of your foam?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You know after I posted, I realized I didn't add my parm to it while I mixed it. I'm not sure how I missed that. I'm using Parmigiano-Reggiano.

The point you bring up though, is that if you've got lovely parm, it will foam like that anyway?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Dumb question: you're grating it off a wedge of cheese right, not shaking it out of a can?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

PRADA SLUT posted:

The point you bring up though, is that if you've got lovely parm, it will foam like that anyway?
Yeah, you probably bought lovely cheese, sorry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

sweat poteto posted:

Dumb question: you're grating it off a wedge of cheese right, not shaking it out of a can?

I discovered that I forgot to toss the cheese with it. I guess when I saw the egg whites foam it threw me off.

Here's the cheese in question anyway:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Without a thermometer, how am I going to tell when the pasta water is cool enough not to cook the eggs?

Also, 1 cup grated cheese is still approx. 1/4lb, right?

dapslash
Jan 29, 2009
Thank you, op, for the recipe and tips! I've tried to make this twice before, and it never turned out quite right till i followed your steps.

Also wanted to second the question about any possible rule of thumb for the pasta water temperature if you don't have a thermometer handy, and to ask, is pecorino romano supposed to smell fishy? It reminded me of dried fish food, and my dad said it smelled like those tiny dried fish used in Korean cooking. Still tasted good in the end, but man, that smell.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008
This recipe is so good that even though I overcooked the pancetta (crunchy, thankfully not burnt) my whole family enjoyed it and wants it again next weekend.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

dapslash posted:

...is pecorino romano supposed to smell fishy? It reminded me of dried fish food, and my dad said it smelled like those tiny dried fish used in Korean cooking. Still tasted good in the end, but man, that smell.

I had been making the previous version of the recipe from the OP which used Parmesan only and thought I'd try it with pecorino Romano instead. I don't think I've ever used Romano by itself before on anything because the pungent flavor was almost too much for me (it is made with sheep's milk, after all.) I can understand why the latest recipe says to use half Parm and half Romano.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Thel posted:

Without a thermometer, how am I going to tell when the pasta water is cool enough not to cook the eggs?

Also, 1 cup grated cheese is still approx. 1/4lb, right?

If you scoop out some pasta water and let it sit for a couple minutes it should be cool enough.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I discovered that I forgot to toss the cheese with it. I guess when I saw the egg whites foam it threw me off.

Here's the cheese in question anyway:

I wasn't going to say anything, but the more I look at this picture, The more it looks like a counterfeit. The side engraving is way too charred to be authentic. This is what real parmigiano-reggiano looks like:

This was taken at the Mario Batali and Lidia Bastianich market: Eataly.

Did you buy your cheese from a reputable dealer?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Here's mine. I'm only using parm reg, which is fine with me. Egg scrambled a teeny little bit, but it was like this when I ate it in Europe too, so I can live with it.

Edit: When there's no cream in the sauce [go suck it, Olive Garden], the dish is at a good level of heartiness. Not what I'd call light fare by any means, but I also don't feel like I want to go to sleep afterwards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

I wasn't going to say anything, but the more I look at this picture, The more it looks like a counterfeit. The side engraving is way too charred to be authentic.
I've seen darker engravings than that or real parm-reg. That seal is burned on so there will be differences.
However, unless that is cut really weird, that isn't the seal they put on that.
I looks kind of like PDO seal, but isn't the right one. Isn't grana padano either.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I have to say I'm getting a kick out of Law and Order:GWS - Cheese Detectives :doink:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

I like turtles posted:

I have to say I'm getting a kick out of Law and Order:GWS - Cheese Detectives :doink:

I didn't know there was counterfeit Parmesan out there and now I worry that I've been eating white cheddar mixed with hardened wax all my life instead of Parmesan. :ohdear:

sandle tits
Jun 1, 2011

The Hatchet Man
Whats counterfeit parm? Are you guys just being dramatic about what we may call parm but Italians would not or is it something that is actually slightly sinister?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

greenscag posted:

Whats counterfeit parm? Are you guys just being dramatic about what we may call parm but Italians would not or is it something that is actually slightly sinister?

It's probably just grana padano or generic grana of some sort. It's not like you're going to notice the difference once it's cooked.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KozmoNaut posted:

It's probably just grana padano or generic grana of some sort. It's not like you're going to notice the difference once it's cooked.
It only really matters if you're paying PDO prices and not getting the right stuff.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

KRAFT 100% GRATED PARMESAN

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
Aw man, I broke out the fancy plates and everything and made some Carbonara tonight, it turned out BEAUTIFULLY and the best I've ever managed (slowly getting those culinary skills up)...

...and I plated with the intention of taking a snapshot, but then I sort of ate it without taking a picture because it looked too good. And it was.

Looks like I'll just have to make it again soon!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Good work, Sapphaholic! Keep it up!

Timo posted:

KRAFT 100% GRATED PARMESAN
I always wondered what the 100% meant, since a glance at the ingredients shows that there's crap in there like cellulose and preservatives. Maybe they mean it's 100% grated? That is, that there's no big wedges of cheese or cheese sticks in there?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

The Macaroni posted:

Good work, Sapphaholic! Keep it up!
I always wondered what the 100% meant, since a glance at the ingredients shows that there's crap in there like cellulose and preservatives. Maybe they mean it's 100% grated? That is, that there's no big wedges of cheese or cheese sticks in there?

I don't care if that's NOT what it means, I will read it as such forever more.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It's shakey cheese!

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
The stuff you really have to watch out for is the 90% grated cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Made this just as the OP instructed, never thought I could create something that good, thanks for a good recipe!
Next time I have to be more careful with the pancetta, this time it was bit too crispy.