Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
FrozenShellfish
Aug 30, 2004

I made this a few weeks ago and was a little disappointed. It was a bit of a special occasion so I went to a farmers market and bought everything there, but in the end it ended up being a bit flat and salty. I think I overcooked the pasta too, judging when fresh pasta is done is too difficult.

Today I only bought the eggs at the market and used slightly cheaper ingredients (dried pasta, standard supermarket pancetta instead of fancy organic hand-cured locally-reared stuff), and to try and avoid the saltiness I swapped the pecorino romano for pecarino sardo... It was glorious. A carbonara revelation. Thanks The Jizzer!

That green grated cheese can looks horrendous. How are they even allowed to call it parmesan? And is pecorino horribly expensive in the US or something? Every time I have seen pecorino for sale here (UK) it has been 5-10% cheaper than the parmesan sitting next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
It's called parmesan because the actual cheese is called parmigiano reggiano.

In some European countries, they can't even use the word parmesan (as this is the french term for the cheese), and have to use other made up words (e.g. "pamesello").

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Made this tonight using v1.5 of the recipe. Not too shabby. I made some mistakes but it turned out okay. I wouldn't serve it to anyone but my trash compactor friend who eats anything but it won't take too much fiddling to get the timing right.

At least my eggs didn't scramble. :)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Every time I've seen pecorino romano in Italian supermarkets it's been substantially cheaper than parmigiano reggiano.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Sjurygg posted:

Every time I've seen pecorino romano in Italian supermarkets it's been substantially cheaper than parmigiano reggiano.

At my Costco here in the US, the imported pecorino romano is about $7/lb compared to the $12/lb parmagianno reggiano stravechio and $10/lb grana padano. The US isn't nearly as strict as Europe is about protecting DOP regulations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mach420 posted:

At my Costco here in the US, the imported pecorino romano is about $7/lb compared to the $12/lb parmagianno reggiano stravechio and $10/lb grana padano. The US isn't nearly as strict as Europe is about protecting DOP regulations.

Goddamn can I have your costco? Ours has parmagianno reggiano for $14 and it feels so painful. Well, okay, only $2 more, but...but...

Pecorino is 8 or 9, too, yeah.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is all Pecorino Romano salty?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is all Pecorino Romano salty?

That's one of its defining characteristics, so yes.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

I love Carbonara so I will have to be sure to try this recipe. The one I use is good, but it is done completely different from yours. It has good texture but the look of the pasta doesn't look as good as yours.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

FrozenShellfish posted:

I think I overcooked the pasta too, judging when fresh pasta is done is too difficult.

Yeah, as you noticed as well, I've found that dried pasta is better for this dish

Seattleman
Apr 29, 2009
Well I scrambled the eggs for the first time a few days ago. I've made this recipe about half a dozen times without fail, but this time I decided to use a different pan since it already had bacon fat in it and I was low on pancetta. I did everything right and pulled the pan off the heat with plenty of time to spare. It was right when I started to pour the eggs onto the pasta that I suddenly recalled just how long it takes for cast iron to cool down and why I normally use my all clad skillet.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Timo posted:

KRAFT 100% GRATED PARMESAN

Yes. That cheese is definitely grated 100%. Does it say how much of it is Parmesan?

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yes. That cheese is definitely grated 100%. Does it say how much of it is Parmesan?

Hey, look, it's that joke again.

Content, just tried the OP recipe with microplaned (instead of finely chopped) garlic a few days ago. Almost tasted like a different food altogether; both are good.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
Did a slightly different version of carbonara tonight that i thought people might find interesting. Also didn't have any bacon or pancetta, otherwise that would have gone in.

The basic premise is to cook the pasta like you would risotto, so you get a nice starchy/creamy sauce coating your noodles, which is made even better when you add your egg and cheese mixture.

All the ingredients, garlic, cheap white wine, egg/cheese mix, grated parm, butter, and whatever was left in that container of chicken broth.

Toast your pasta in some oil until golden brown, add your garlic and cook that a little, then add some white wine and start stirring until its all absorbed into the pasta.

Start adding your chicken stock or water (I used both because i didn't have enough stock) and constantly stir like if you were making risotto. After maybe 5 minutes you'll be able to feel the pasta start softening and a nice starchy sauce forming in the pot.

Keep adding liquid and stirring until the pasta is cooked, then turn off the heat and add a little butter for deliciousness and to cool the pasta a bit so you don't end up with scrambled eggs.

Add your egg/cheese and grate some black pepper on top.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
That doesn't look very appetizing.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
the camera flash made it look a bit jizzy, but i assure you it was very creamy and delicious.

Seattleman
Apr 29, 2009

blacquethoven posted:

the camera flash made it look a bit jizzy, but i assure you it was very creamy and delicious.

And that description doesn't sound jazzy at all...

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know about you guys but I think it looks and sounds delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know that I would call it carbonara but I would eat it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Isn't that how you make Hamburger Helper? You've made Hamburgerless Helper.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
you must have some ritzy rear end hamburger helper where you live because i've never seen it made with wine, parmesan, chicken stock and eggs

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

blacquethoven posted:

you must have some ritzy rear end hamburger helper where you live because i've never seen it made with wine, parmesan, chicken stock and eggs

This is giwwis. We make our own ritzy rear end hamburger helper when we want drunk food. I would not call that carbonara, but I would definitely eat the hell out of that. Good job.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

blacquethoven posted:

After trying out this method myself, I can attest that it is absolutely creamy and delicious. Started out with some pancetta, took that out and sauteed the pasta/garlic, deglazed with wine, and then did the rest like you described. So freaking good. Thank you so much for the idea.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Stoner carbonara looks pretty good. I've seen other Italian pasta dishes made by the same principle.

bigwoody
Jun 29, 2007
Compensating for something.
Made this a couple nights ago for the first time. We didn't get the final technique right and the eggs had a few solid pieces here and there (none larger than, say, a bit of coarsely shredded cheese), but it was still absolutely incredible. My girlfriend demands this weekly now!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Ah guanciale, how I love thee.

I've written up a new blog post on carbonara, partly inspired by Jizzer's classic recipe with a few modifications that have helped me get the execution right. Hope you like it: https://snapcracklingpop.blogspot.com

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Great post!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Made this again last week, I thought the improved recipe (especially the egg-tempering) made a small but noticable difference in a very positive way.

I do prefer 100% parmesan over the 50-50 blend recommended, though that could be due to my dislike of pecorino in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Made the recipe in the OP, with salt pork belly instead of panchetta. I had never had carbonara before, and it was awesome. Thanks for making the thread!