Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
oh yes thank you for no cream. I generally just make it with eggs (it's a drunk go-to) but I really like your recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Demagogue posted:

You have a food blog that you didn't tell us about?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

What are these pies posted:

I've wanted to try this for so long because it looks and sounds amazing but the only thing that's keeping me from it is the eggs. I abhor eggs. Does it have an eggy taste, or is the egg just used as a thickener/sauce?

stop disliking eggs that's a problem in your brain.

no, it doesn't taste "eggy" the eggs are the basis for the sauce. make it, it's just about the perfect meal.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
you can use bacon you just shouldn't, you can get pancetta at any italian market or failing that whole foods

jizzer I'm running your thread

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Leviathan posted:

I bought a 1/2lb block of pancetta...what's the best way to go about cutting it up for this dish?

try a knife and report back

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
pisshead this is the friendliest forum and people still wish you'd leave

to make this post worthwhile I've got some pecorino coming in next week and I know what I'm using it for!

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
starch that would have made a perfectly fine thread on it's own. it was certainly good enough that I'm picking up some pork tonight to try it.

oh and I made carbonara last night for my girlfriend. it... worked.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Sam_I_Am posted:

I have to admit, I almost never PLAN to make carbonara. Instead, I come home and don't have any ideas for dinner, but always have pasta, parm, eggs, and cured-pork-product in the fridge. Maybe I use dried pasta and boring bacon, but it's way better than the Bowl of Cereal With Barely Expired Milk that's the house special for the night.

i don't know how to do the high five emoticon but you and I are exactly cooking buddies

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

baby duck hat posted:

Is there any way to make this without using raw eggs?

if this is for someone pregnant then I'm willing to transcribe harold mcgee's method but really it needs to be made with raw eggs, there's basically no chance they'll hurt you. this is one of my favorite dishes and I've made it hundreds of times and not once gotten sick, nor has anyone I've made it for

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
jadias you're literally arguing over maybe wasting 50 cents worth of pasta, maybe

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Drink and Fight posted:

So is the other guy.

it's true, maybe he should stop? it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Scott Justice posted:

It was delicious, but since I wasn't making an official Carbonara I decided to go pig wild with my ingredients. I used fusilli instead of spaghetti and sauteed some spinach with the bacon and garlic. I topped it off with Feta cheese.

I'm going to gently caress you up

edit: carbonara was the first dish I made, months ago, for my girlfriend. I am making it again tonight.