Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
How long do you have to wait after you've cooked and drained dry pasta before adding the eggs in order to not scramble them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I bought a 1/2lb block of pancetta...what's the best way to go about cutting it up for this dish?

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

spiderpie posted:

Lardons?! :3:

Lardons are strips of fat bacon[1] or salt pork[2] used in meat larding. They can also be small strips or cubes of fatty bacon or pork that is cut from a pig's belly. Typically about one centimeter (3/8 inch) wide, lardons are frequently used in French cuisine to flavor salads, stews (Beef Bourguignon), quiches (Quiche Lorraine), potatoes, omelettes and other dishes.[3]

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Scyfora posted:

It's all the fault of the British :D

Re: guy that wanted a vegetarian version of this, assuming eggs + cheese is ok, try and find some smoked fish and use that (like marlin or some smoked white fish). It'll be dryer but sort of close. Sort of like how a piece of raw bacon on a bagel is close to lox ;)

How is smoked fish vegetarian?

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Sam_I_Am posted:

I don't mean to accidently give you a real answer to your question, but you should cut them into lardons.

Click for wallpaper size. :)

I cut my slab of pancetta into bits about this size and sauteed on medium for only a few minutes until the fat was rendered, but I found the pieces to be really chewy and tough. I'll ask the deli next time to do a thin-sliced bacon roll like the OP. Other than that, the taste was absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Tempering your eggs with a few tablespoons of hot pasta water before you add them really helps prevent any scrambling. I even heated some up in the microwave with the power setting at 5/10 and there was no graininess.