Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The TDM900 looks like a cross between a V Strom and a Honda DN-01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Anyone else notice that the only big rear end Harley riding people that actually lane split are the 1%er motorcycle club types? And they always manage to split at speeds and with finesse that doesn't seem physically possible with bikes that big?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Despite the general rider cluelessness we associate with Harleys, some of those guys are really good riders. There was a guy when I took the DMV license test that passed on a huge cruiser with no points off. He's one of those that had clearly been riding forever, just hadn't bothered to go through the trouble to be 'legal'.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

Anyone else notice that the only big rear end Harley riding people that actually lane split are the 1%er motorcycle club types? And they always manage to split at speeds and with finesse that doesn't seem physically possible with bikes that big?

Yup. Most harley riders I see are hugging the far left side of their lane and looking at me like I'm breaking the law as I split past them, but when I do run into one of them actually splitting, usually they move right along.

I hate splitting behind people though, it just adds another thing to watch and track.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

pr0zac posted:

Yeah, the only two times I saw a harley guy riding like a bat outta hell was this one dude with tats, long hair and an MC on the jacket doing double the speed limit and passing cars on the double yellow. Later I saw another guy from the some club riding just as fast with a viking helmet on. He didn't return my wave.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
My Dad and I were once driving our Buicks in adjacent lanes, at 70km/h around a slight bend, and a dude on a Harley split between us doing what must have been well over 100km/h. I shudder to think how little room he had to spare.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Random observation: If you need to figure out your speed for some reason (broken/don't trust your speedo etc) newer model Honda Civics are very plentiful and have an extremely easy to read from outside the car speedometer. I used this trick to figure out my CBR929's speedo is off by about 14mph!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

pr0zac posted:

Random observation: If you need to figure out your speed for some reason (broken/don't trust your speedo etc) newer model Honda Civics are very plentiful and have an extremely easy to read from outside the car speedometer. I used this trick to figure out my CBR929's speedo is off by about 14mph!

Thats good to know I haven't had a speedo on the SV for a good month now. Still haven't ordered the drat part

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

pr0zac posted:

I found out using one of those roadside radar speed alert things that tell you to slow down that at an indicated speed of 80 mph, the KLR is in fact going just 72 mph :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pr0zac posted:

no kidding! I've noticed this too, even from inside another car. It's almost easier to read their speedo than your own!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

pr0zac posted:

Hah. I've caught myself peering into passing civics from time to time to check out the gauges. I never thought of comparing it to my speedo though. It's been more of a "dammit I want an 06+ Si" look :iamafag:.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Linedance posted:

no kidding! I've noticed this too, even from inside another car. It's almost easier to read their speedo than your own!

People have told me they make cars like that so it's easier for cops to catch you speeding. It's probably not the case, but I'm sure a ticket or two has been issued that way. Priuses...Priui..um...The Prius has them too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

People have told me they make cars like that so it's easier for cops to catch you speeding. It's probably not the case, but I'm sure a ticket or two has been issued that way. Priuses...Priui..um...The Prius has them too.

it's probably more due to it being easier to monitor your speed without taking your eyes off the road. I know the spaceship from the future styling isn't to everyone's taste on those Civics, but it's a very well integrated design from inside to out.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Add bears to the list of things that will kill you

http://www.clickorlando.com/traffic/22713198/detail.html

quote:

Motorcyclist Dies After Hitting Black Bear
Fruitland Park Victim's Wife Witnessed Crash, FHP Says

UMATILLA, Fla. -- A motorcyclist died Monday night
after colliding with a black bear that ran into his path in Marion County, troopers said.

Ronald R. Stanley, 51, of Fruitland Park, was pronounced dead at Waterman Hospital following the crash, which occurred at about 9:10 p.m. on county Road 42 near Southeast 284 Terrace, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Stanley was driving a 2007 Harley Davidson westbound on county Road 42 when the bear ran into his path, troopers said. The front end of the motorcycle hit the left side of the bear, causing the bike to overturn, troopers said.

Stanley, who was not wearing a helmet, was taken to Waterman Hospital in critical condition and was pronounced dead at 11:05 p.m., according to the FHP.

Troopers said that Stanley's wife was following behind him when the crash occurred.

It's not known what happened to the bear.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
There are bears in Florida? Am I stupid for not knowing this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How were bears not already on the list of things that will kill you?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^ In Florida? Crocs, sure, old people in huge cars, sure, but bears?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

maybe not that kind of bear... think Key West...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

redscare posted:

Stephen Colbert is gonna have a field day with this.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

redscare posted:

Have had to dodge more than one black bear riding up to my fav swimming hole. Uncle of mine had a similar experience as that guy only he didn't die and it was a deer. He has no use of the left half of his face, has god only knows how many bits of surgical steel holding him together and because of his limited mobility will never ride again. As for the deer, well, highway speeds and a big touring Harley pretty much tore it in half. This was in Montana and the highway side ditch had grass high enough to completely hide the deer until it stepped right onto the road. Saw the pics once :barf:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

shipwrek posted:

Have had to dodge more than one black bear riding up to my fav swimming hole. Uncle of mine had a similar experience as that guy only he didn't die and it was a deer. He has no use of the left half of his face, has god only knows how many bits of surgical steel holding him together and because of his limited mobility will never ride again. As for the deer, well, highway speeds and a big touring Harley pretty much tore it in half. This was in Montana and the highway side ditch had grass high enough to completely hide the deer until it stepped right onto the road. Saw the pics once :barf:

Yeah but everyone knows that deer are the suicide bombers of the animal kingdom. Black bears don't quite have that same rep.

Of course this bear probably wouldn't have killed the rider in question if he'd been wearing a lid, but its Florida, maybe 10% of the people there wear one.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

redscare posted:

Yeah but everyone knows that deer are the suicide bombers of the animal kingdom. Black bears don't quite have that same rep.

Of course this bear probably wouldn't have killed the rider in question if he'd been wearing a lid, but its Florida, maybe 10% of the people there wear one.

True enough ... although the ones here (BC) would give you the bird if they could instead of getting the gently caress outta the road! Doesn't say which injuries killed the poor soul but you have to wonder. Just reading the comments under the story and I can't believe people still actually defend not wearing a bucket.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

shipwrek posted:

True enough ... although the ones here (BC) would give you the bird if they could instead of getting the gently caress outta the road! Doesn't say which injuries killed the poor soul but you have to wonder. Just reading the comments under the story and I can't believe people still actually defend not wearing a bucket.

God drat there are some stupid mother fuckers on there. I love SA because I never have to worry about some douche striking up the "Helmets are DANGEROUS!" or "LOUD PIPES SAVE YOUR LYFE" argument. :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

quote:

Some dumbass on clickorlando.com posted:
If you did ride a good ole American Harley, you would know that more people riding their bikes die from idiots driving cages (that some sort of automobile for you without the vernacular) than die because they did not wear a helmet.

:911: :patriot:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

redscare posted:

Lousy picture of the bike here:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100302/ARTICLES/100309911/1118?Title=Motorcyclist-killed-in-Marion-County-crash-with-bear

And yeah, the Ocala National Forest definitely has bears.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 3, 2010

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

I have questions for Some dumbass:

So, you have to specifically ride a 'good ole American' Harley to know this? Does this work for International Harley riders? How much of the Harley needs to be made in the US for this to apply? What if I was a Chinese female riding a Harley made in the US through northern Italy? Are you protesting cars? What colour is the sky for you?

*sigh*

On to better things ... I was wondering how many of you ride in charity runs and if so, for what? I am riding in the Vancouver BC ride for life later this year. Was wondering if there are any goons out there who'd care to ride along (I know, I know I already started a thread for that) but also looking for other relatively local rides I might enjoy a ride too and participate in.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

God drat there are some stupid mother fuckers on there. I love SA because I never have to worry about some douche striking up the "Helmets are DANGEROUS!" or "LOUD PIPES SAVE YOUR LYFE" argument. :)

During an accident, it is *critical* that your brain have a means of escape from the pressures being exerted on your skull. A helmet contains your brain, and prevents it from finding a natural path into the open air.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The bear probably overtook him, then merged into him.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've watched a guy in Iowa ride around with his helmet on his arm. He must of ripped it off the second he crossed the bridge or was planning on crossing it later in the ride :(

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

The bear probably overtook him, then merged into him.

:golfclap:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

another dumbass posted:

A friend of mine years ago was driving a Bronco. He fell asleep , over corrected and was thrown from the car, landed face down on the road, the truck landed on top of him and skidded him down the street. Nothing was going to save the guy.

I can think of one. A seatbelt.

The comments just reassert the fact that Florida is full of loving retards. So once again:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

That is loving retarded.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zool posted:

That is loving retarded.
Doubly so, considering how many people report that their speedometer reads *high* when cross referenced with a known good source (roadside radar, etc.)

Officer looks in the window of the civic and sees....70 in a 70, checks his own (carefully calibrated, so he can use radar while moving) speed and sees...67?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

lancemantis posted:

I've watched a guy in Iowa ride around with his helmet on his arm. He must of ripped it off the second he crossed the bridge or was planning on crossing it later in the ride :(

The only reason people in quincy buy a helmet is so they can cross the bridge for cheap gas and smokes. This city makes me sad on so many levels

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
cops just gonna sit behind the guy, watch his own calibrated speedo and then book him on that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

Doubly so, considering how many people report that their speedometer reads *high* when cross referenced with a known good source (roadside radar, etc.)
I'm pretty sure most countries have requirements that speedos not read any lower than acual speed from the factory, so they set them high to make up for any calibration errors.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I heard the companies collaborate with the NEW WORLD ORDER to make speedos inaccurate so that they get a cut of the profits made from speeding tickets from the world government. By the way, have you guys seen a movie called loose change?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Slim Pickens posted:

I heard the companies collaborate with the NEW WORLD ORDER to make speedos inaccurate so that they get a cut of the profits made from speeding tickets from the world government.
That actually only applies to aircraft.

:v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm too lazy to collect the pictures on this slow connection but how does a Desmosedici trike strike you?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-desmosedici-rr-trike-concept/#more-8986

Probably badly.

Edit: Vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Spiffness posted:

I'm too lazy to collect the pictures on this slow connection but how does a Desmosedici trike strike you?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-desmosedici-rr-trike-concept/#more-8986

At least it is the correct kind of trike.