Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

SquadronROE posted:

I kind of like the duke, except for the name.
Duck, I says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

SquadronROE posted:

I kind of like the duke, except for the name.

Cycle Asylum: I'd buy that bike if it weren't for marketing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Duke 390 is the poo poo. It's not like the 690 is something you'd really want to spend a bunch of time on the highway on either. It'd be a killer alternative to something like a DRZ400SM.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Duke 390 is the poo poo. It's not like the 690 is something you'd really want to spend a bunch of time on the highway on either. It'd be a killer alternative to something like a DRZ400SM.

Yeah I was thinking about that and the conclusion to which I came was that I might have more fun with a used DR-Z400SM than a 390 Duke or the RC. But I'll have to wait until my local KTM dealer has them as demo bikes or KTM comes back around with a truck. Still 5 grand is pretty nice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Five years from now they'll stop selling them there because noone bought one.

More like next summer

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

More like next summer

"Ha, ha guys! That was totally next year's April Fools prank!" :downsbravo:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Planning on going for a test ride. Looks like a really good ride.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I park next to a Duke 390 at uni. I'd love to buy one one day because they look amazing. I'm sure it would be capable of more than I am.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Almost every manufacturer has at least one 300ish CC sport / standard in the USA now. I can't imagine they're all chasing a market that doesn't actually exist.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That or they're all listening to the internet instead of sales numbers. We'll see in a year.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I can't help but wonder if we'll see a 390 SMC.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I went riding with a friend who works for KTM and he told me about the 390s and says they are a blast to ride.
He also let me ride his demo Superduke. That bike is freaking awesome.
It's stubby and feels totally weird for me to ride but I had no problem flying up Palomar mountain (basically San Diego county's version of Mulholland Drive where squids go to crash their bikes) much more confidently than on any bike I've ridden recently. I kinda really want one now. He's getting an RC8 after this one so hopefully I'll get to try that next.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I can't help but wonder if we'll see a 390 SMC.

390 SMT...? Would that work? Some weirdos go from Alaska to South America on 400s, so why not?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Slim Pickens posted:

That or they're all listening to the internet instead of sales numbers. We'll see in a year.

Maybe the 300cc segment is selling very well elseware but breaks even in the US so why not sell them to keep dealers afloat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely like the duke 390, If I was looking for a new small bike, It's probably my first choice.

Ola posted:

390 SMT...? Would that work? Some weirdos go from Alaska to South America on 400s, so why not?

The Husky 401 is basically gonna fill those roles, I think.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Ola posted:

It'd be a good competitor to the DRZ400. More power and probably less weight, probably with ABS too. Given the prices of the dukes, it'd probably be cheaper than the DRZ too.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

Spiffness posted:

Did anyone notice what KTM did today?

$5,499

$4,999

Hands-down the two coolest bikes for your low displacement dollar.

Yep. YEPPPPPPPP. I cannot believe they hit the 5k us price point. A salesman told me 5500 in Canada sometime last spring and I was sure that was cost and he hosed up. I have been stocking cash aside just in case and BRAAAAPPPPPPPP

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
As far as sales go you have a huge emerging market due to echo boomers and also everybody is super poor now and uses that as a reason to be into bieks rather than fancy cars, so a 5k "real" bike should be super popular if it will remain satisfying for urban riding well past the 250s (and now 300s) pizza cutters that have been selling so well that the local classifieds are totally dominated by small displacement single owner resales looking to upgrade after just a year or so.

All they have to do is have two or three reasonably attractive finishes to give people the illusion of personalized ownership and it's all sewn up.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

dictionar.com posted:

and also everybody is super poor now and uses that as a reason to be into bieks rather than fancy cars

This is pretty much reason #1 why I'm resigning myself to owning boring piece of poo poo cars for the rest of my life, and then spending my fun money on nice bikes. Used car prices are hilariously high and trying to purchase a project car for a decent price means you're looking at someone's flooded salvage title or something in pieces that may have never ran.

Meanwhile, combine the $2k you wanted for a rolling chassis and the $5k you were willing to dump into it to spend on a motorcycle, and you have a ready to ride hoon machine that'll put a smile on your face immediately.

The only silver lining I can find in the whole big business taking over government and making the 99% even poorer is that it seems to make motorcycles more attractive to everyone, and the sooner it goes from a luxury sport to an "Everyman" activity, the better it is for all of us. Imagine how great it would be if the general public was clamoring for motorcycle-friendly legislation like lane splitting laws. :allears:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nm

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So today I was riding along, happily minding my own business, when I suddenly hear the most horrible rhythmic metallic banging and rattling. It sounded like the loosest valves in the world combined with an awful knocking and pinging. My heart jumped as I thought "oh, gently caress, what's just wrong now?"

Then the fence beside me ended and I saw the high school band drum/xylophone section just behind it, marching in place and giving it their all :toot:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

So today I was riding along, happily minding my own business, when I suddenly hear the most horrible rhythmic metallic banging and rattling. It sounded like the loosest valves in the world combined with an awful knocking and pinging. My heart jumped as I thought "oh, gently caress, what's just wrong now?"

Then the fence beside me ended and I saw the high school band drum/xylophone section just behind it, marching in place and giving it their all :toot:

I've been tricked more than once by taxis pulling up behind me (London taxis are diesels and particularly rattly ones at that) into thinking my engine was about to implode. Their idle lines up perfectly with mine.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of that weird resonance that happens when you're rev-matched with a bike with a similar engine. It always throws me off at first.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

That reminds me of that weird resonance that happens when you're rev-matched with a bike with a similar engine. It always throws me off at first.

The sound of 2 600s in resonance as they scream towards redline on the track is one of my favorite sounds.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is pretty neat how riding a vehicle with the engine right there between your legs makes you sensitive to any changes in the noises it makes. You can tell from the sound whether the valves are getting loose, if the chain needs oil, if the choke is on, etc. And more than just the engine -- you can hear the surface rust on your brake rotors, the compression of the forks, the different amounts of wear on the tire in a turn. It's one of the more zen-like parts of riding a motorcycle, I think.

Also, the more little noises I start to identify and recognize, the more incredulous I find those stories in the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread where someone drives their car in with both front brake rotors rusted off and looped around the axle going "oh, I thought it was supposed to sound like that".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It is pretty neat how riding a vehicle with the engine right there between your legs makes you sensitive to any changes in the noises it makes. You can tell from the sound whether the valves are getting loose, if the chain needs oil, if the choke is on, etc. And more than just the engine -- you can hear the surface rust on your brake rotors, the compression of the forks, the different amounts of wear on the tire in a turn. It's one of the more zen-like parts of riding a motorcycle, I think.

Also, the more little noises I start to identify and recognize, the more incredulous I find those stories in the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread where someone drives their car in with both front brake rotors rusted off and looped around the axle going "oh, I thought it was supposed to sound like that".

Yes! It's so small and you can see and know all the parts. I used to think it was far fetched to put a GPS tracking device on a car, but knowing how rarely even car enthusiasts see the poorly sunshined ends of their vehicle, it's no wonder it's easy to stick a drat laptop with a 1980s VHF radio somewhere on them.

Another thing which adds to the tactile pleasure of bikes is the quicker change in feel of things as they heat up. You can smell warm brakes and tires and you can feel how they behave differently. Same with the engine, ever so slightly different characteristics every day. "Oh got a sore throat today? Well we'll just have to see if some Italian cough syrup might help..."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I got the bike back today.

I love the crazy post apocalyptic look with the non-matching tank and plastic on the back now.

So I was riding it home, and I stopped at a target to adjust a few things.

A mom and kid were walking by, and the kid pulls on mom's hand, "LOOK MOM! MOTORCYCLE!"
I told the kid, "Well, in 25 years, you can get one and your mom can't say anything about it. Want to hear me rev itup for you?"

and the kid was all jumping up and down. "YEAH!"

Kid was grinning about as much as I was.

So i made some kid's day and i just got a kick out of that

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nitrogen posted:

I got the bike back today.

I love the crazy post apocalyptic look with the non-matching tank and plastic on the back now.

So I was riding it home, and I stopped at a target to adjust a few things.

A mom and kid were walking by, and the kid pulls on mom's hand, "LOOK MOM! MOTORCYCLE!"
I told the kid, "Well, in 25 years, you can get one and your mom can't say anything about it. Want to hear me rev itup for you?"

and the kid was all jumping up and down. "YEAH!"

Kid was grinning about as much as I was.

So i made some kid's day and i just got a kick out of that

That mom wants to make sweet love to you or kill you. Unclear which.

Unrelated, anyone have any good motorcycle related Christmas present ideas for folks who have everything (couple bikes, all the gear, full garage)?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

builds character posted:

That mom wants to make sweet love to you or kill you. Unclear which.

Unrelated, anyone have any good motorcycle related Christmas present ideas for folks who have everything (couple bikes, all the gear, full garage)?

90 degree valve stems for their next tire change?
Rim tape?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Did my first wheelie today :toot:, never had it happen on the Buell but gave my dad's 690 Duke the beans off a roundabout and the front wheel came up.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Last Saturday I was all geared up out front and about the take the Bandit over to the gas station for a final fill-up for the season, and this dad and his kid were coming down the side walk. I was waiting until they went past to start 'er up, and I looked in the mirror and the kid was just past the bike a bit, and said to his dad to "hold on a sec." So I obliged him, started it up, and gave it a few revs. Kid was saying "wow, awesome!", and when I pulled out, I turned back to wave at him :3:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I like it when I'm riding along and kids put their hands on their ears.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I need to do a supercut of all the excited kids I caught on the gopro this year. So many

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I sold my motorcycle a year ago when I left the promised land of southern california for hot, flat, no-lane-splitting Texas. But lately I have been really missing that little Ninja 250. Too bad I can't afford one any more. I don't know why I'm posting this.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

blue squares posted:

I sold my motorcycle a year ago when I left the promised land of southern california for hot, flat, no-lane-splitting Texas. But lately I have been really missing that little Ninja 250. Too bad I can't afford one any more. I don't know why I'm posting this.

Where in Texas?

You'd be surprised what is out there if you don't mind doing some fixit work yourself. I budgeted 4k for my first bike and found something for 1/4 that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm in Austin. I'm not great at repair but I was in the Navy and fixed helicopters for two years. What little work I did on my Ninja 250 was surprisingly easy.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

blue squares posted:

I'm in Austin. I'm not great at repair but I was in the Navy and fixed helicopters for two years. What little work I did on my Ninja 250 was surprisingly easy.

Fly to Minnesota on a First Class ticket and buy a bike, it'll be cheaper. No I'm not trolling.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

blue squares posted:

I was able to find my 650 V-Star for $2200 in Dallas a month or so ago, the bike even had a windshield, saddle bags and custom seat too boot.

You can definitely find some nice bikes on Craigslist if you hunt around, especially this time of year it seems.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SeaborneClink posted:

Fly to Minnesota on a First Class ticket and buy a bike, it'll be cheaper. No I'm not trolling.

Driving a pickup to Houston or Dallas is even cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'll look at Dallas craigslist. 2k isn't available right now but in 6 months maybe. I could bus it up, stay with Mom, and ride the bike back. I need a loving bike. drat it.