Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

YES.

The SMT was never particularly motardy. It's a tall tourer with the right size wheels, exactly what I want. I could take or leave the SSSA though. Semi-related: I am finally trading the nerdventure beak on the Ulysses for a proper sport fender.

It's blue. The rest of the bike is green. Time for a completely obnoxious new paint job. I'm thinking gold w/ glitter flake.

Bed liner/underseal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My friend did that with his. He even did the flyscreen, which I think is dumb. It looks OK I guess.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

farewell, little sewing machine :unsmith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What's next?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The fact that I suggested that as a joke and you have a friend with a uly who actually did it speaks volumes :v:

M42 posted:

farewell, little sewing machine :unsmith:

Next step: bigger, louder sewing machine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

So, ok - this is just a superduke with a fairing. Unless they've made significant, subtle alterations to the exhaust, there's no way it could have longer travel suspension, because of the problem of the swingarm hitting the exhaust. It's cool, but it's not quite a SM-T.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

What's next?
Ninja 300

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

So, ok - this is just a superduke with a fairing. Unless they've made significant, subtle alterations to the exhaust, there's no way it could have longer travel suspension, because of the problem of the swingarm hitting the exhaust. It's cool, but it's not quite a SM-T.

I'm thinking that since it is just a SDR exhaust it must be preproduction

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks early prepro, like they're working out the wind protection.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

What's next?

Ideally an 04+ sv650, but I might buy some cheapo beater for winter maybe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bandit winter beater.
Bandit winter beater.
Bandit winter beater.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I'm thinking that since it is just a SDR exhaust it must be preproduction

Yeah. Also hilarious is the amount of scraping on the exhaust/heat shield. But that probably means a 2017ish model for them, so that's super reasonable and hopefully they'll have it out by then and I can trade in my SD-R on one. Or turn the SD-R into a trackbike and use the SD-T as the daily driver.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Ideally an 04+ sv650, but I might buy some cheapo beater for winter maybe

Definitely go SV over a GS500, unless that $900 one works out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Definitely go SV over a GS500, unless that $900 one works out.

For a winter beater I wouldn't want an sv, it's too nice for that. How'd the hornet thing end up?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Obvious troll, holding back responding...

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

For a winter beater I wouldn't want an sv, it's too nice for that. How'd the hornet thing end up?

After test riding it and going back and forth a little bit with the seller, he offered to have it checked out by the Honda dealership. With only 5k miles on it I doubt anything is wrong, but I'm in no rush and it'll give me a little peace of mind. I'll most likely be picking it up next weekend or the one after that. After two years on the ninja, it should be nice to have a bike that fits me :dance:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Next step: bigger, louder sewing machine.

What is the motorcycle equivalent to the Spinning Jenny? Ural?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Whoa now, let's not get crazy, she's only been riding a couple years, she might not be ready for that kinda power yet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
So I can get the Duke 390 now, and the SD-T when it comes out. Perfect.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Moped people are the worst group of people I have ever tried to sell something to.

I have spent the last few months dealing with the biggest group of morons on the planet trying to sell my Puch Maxi.

Here are some real quotes:

"I want to drive to come pick it up and ride it back to Houston"

"I got a DUI, so I can't drive. Can I the bus and ride it home 20 miles away?"

"Can you bring this by my work so I can see it?"

"Can you show me how to ride it?"

"I want this to so I don't have to ride the bus anymore. Does has no title mean I can't ride it on the street?"

I attempted to sell it again today for the 4th time. After replacing the tire tube, adjusting the chain, lubing the chain, adjusting the brakes, adjusting rear end play on the axel, aligning the rear wheel, adjusting the idle, adding fresh gas, cleaning the air filter, and cleaning the bike... The person that came to look at gave me a text every hour to ask me how it was going, asked me then if I could clean the carb and tune the bike for him. I told him no and the sale was as is. He then asked me again if I could do it with him tomorrow. I told him no it was as is. This guy has texted me over 30 times. I'm about to just burn the loving thing and send him a video.

gently caress

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Holy poo poo that is hilarious

That sounds pretty terrible to deal with.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
If you burn it can you please post it here?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Hey guys, had a minor incident in my car the other day that kind of spooked me because it would have been pretty major on my bike and I'm looking for some more experienced riders advice on how you would avoid it. I was driving on a 3 lane freeway with no shoulders the other day and up ahead there was a giant 8x12 sheet of plastic blowing between the cars and just flying through the air. It was in the far left lane, and I was in the far right lane, I got over to avoid the left lane and hopefully avoid the flying sheet. But most cars were blowing past it without any concern. But sure enough a big truck ahead of me in the left lane flew past it and pushed it all the way into my lane (The right lane) where it got attached to my front bumper. No biggie, my exit was next so I pulled off and removed it from my grill before heading into work where I tossed it into the dumpster.

But it got me thinking, what would I have done if I was on my bike? It's not like avoiding a stationary object in the road since it was flying all over the place and really hard to guess where it would go, and it moved across all lanes very quickly. And since it was a (mostly) harmless piece of plastic no other car was slowing or really even trying to avoid it like you would for most moving objects like a deer. Just looking for some advice on a potentially dangerous situation in the future.

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

If it was too late to avoid I probably would have crouched down and tried to avoid getting hit by it as best as I could while maintaining a steady course. I did this once when riding through a swarm of bees and it worked so maybe it would work for plastic sheeting too.
If it got stuck on the bike I'd hope like hell that it wouldn't get caught up in anything while I looked for a place to pull over to remove it ASAP same as a car.
Some stuff you really can't plan for so it's best not to worry about it all that much.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you sit and worry about slipping and breaking something when you go to have a shower? I'll bet it happens more often than plastic sheeting hitting people on motorbikes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
How insanely ridiculous would highway pegs look on a GS500?

Becuase after today, I wanted some.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nitrogen posted:

How insanely ridiculous would highway pegs look on a GS500?

Becuase after today, I wanted some.

You're on a bike now, that means you are a tough sob who takes no poo poo from nobody. You want to rock highway pegs, you rock highway pegs. That's how it's done. Recognize.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marxalot posted:

If you burn it can you please post it here?

Now this same guy wants to ride the bus for 4 hours down here. I told him this is too much of a hassle and the deal is off. DO NOT RIDE THE BUS DOWN HERE AND SHOW UP.

I got a text that said

"Don't take this away from me. I was so excited when I found this."
"please please please I won't fix the carb in the parking lot, I promise"
"I don't understand why you're backing out now, we shook on it"

This was after over 20 texts last night.

Moped people are still the worst. Any goon want to come buy it? I'll give a goon price.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You're a monster, Minkee. It's all he has and you're taking it away from him.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Minkee posted:

Now this same guy wants to ride the bus for 4 hours down here. I told him this is too much of a hassle and the deal is off. DO NOT RIDE THE BUS DOWN HERE AND SHOW UP.

I got a text that said

"Don't take this away from me. I was so excited when I found this."
"please please please I won't fix the carb in the parking lot, I promise"

This was after over 20 texts last night.

Moped people are still the worst. Any goon want to come buy it? I'll give a goon price.

$100, cash. Can I take the bus from Houston and ride it back? Will it survive the trip?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Minkee posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, this can't be real. This just has to be some guy on a moped forum loving with you and posting the results to the internet.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Upon seeing you talk about Houston I searched CL for "puch maxi". If you're the dude in Austin I really don't know why you're surprised at the responses you're getting. That's like the most hipster of all hipster bikes ever created that you've probably never heard of before..

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Puch Maxi is fuell in frame, just like a Buell :respek: They used to be common here but now I only really see old people on them, they've mostly been replaced by scooters. It looks like Tomos still sells old school mopeds though. What I'm also seeing a lot lately are ugly rear end larger scooters that aren't quite maxi scooters, they look like a mix between a scooter and one of those Indian 125cc motorcycles. I also found this:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hub center steering on a scooter? :monocle:

I don't dig scooters much mainly because 90% of them are trying to look like a 60's vespa. The ruckus and zuma are the only two I kinda like the looks of. I'll have to snap a pic of the zuma down the block next time I see it, the paint job on it's pretty sweet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My only first-hand experience with a scooter person was when I was at a shop getting the tyres changed on my ZRX. He was a 20-something guy with a fauxhawk and was whining to the guy at the shop that he wanted tyres but he didn't want the scaled-down battleaxes bridgestone make because they aren't grippy enough.

There should be a name for that phenomenon where an entire roomful of people all roll their eyes at once.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a good opportunity to sell some tire warmers to a moron to me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just found this while looking for a picture of Rossi passing Stoner: http://global.yamaha-motor.com/yamahastyle/entertainment/papercraft/racing/

I don't think I have the patience to attempt making any of it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Upon seeing you talk about Houston I searched CL for "puch maxi". If you're the dude in Austin I really don't know why you're surprised at the responses you're getting. That's like the most hipster of all hipster bikes ever created that you've probably never heard of before..

Yep it is. That is why it attracts morons. Its also kitted which attracts a special kind of moron. If its any consolation I didn't originally build the bike. I just tuned it and kept it running. The last owner did all the terrible poo poo to it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Minkee posted:

Yep it is. That is why it attracts morons. Its also kitted which attracts a special kind of moron. If its any consolation I didn't originally build the bike. I just tuned it and kept it running. The last owner did all the terrible poo poo to it.

Fear not, some indie cowpunk revival band will get their advance check any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marv Hushman posted:

Fear not, some indie cowpunk revival band will get their advance check any day now.

Or some video projection performance artist gets his grant.