Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Frosty- posted:

Yep. New Mexico, in general, is not the sort of place a person wants to go.

I went all over NM last summer.

Northern NM was gorgeous. I loved it up there in the cool, thin air. I want to spend like a week at a cabin or lodge in/around Chama.

Roswell was a cute cow town. Really nice people there.

Albuquerque and Santa Fe were both pretty terrible. Cuba, Farmington, Shiprock: kind of meh. Navajo Nation was pretty sad, I am pretty sure the bad road conditions there contributed to my drive belt failure.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
On a whim, stopped into the local mega dealer today to look at some STs.

They have five 2013 Connies priced at 10.5

Why am I broke :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
First batch of reviews hit for the FJ-09. Sounds like it's going to be a homerun.

Motorcyclist
Ultimate Motorcycling
CycleWorld

quote:

Oh thank goodness! I thought as I let the FJ-09’s clutch out and rolled on the throttle. After just 15 feet aboard the FJ I knew that Yamaha had remedied the awful throttle response that plagued the FZ-09 , the bike on which this new sport tourer is based.

The road away from our hotel in Ojai, California was punctuated with speed bumps, and as soon as I rolled over the first one I discovered that the FJ-09’s suspension was better, too. I’d sat through the FJ’s technical presentation the previous night and learned that Yamaha had the makings for an excellent middleweight mile eater, but the whole time I was thinking that if the fueling and suspension weren’t fixed, none of the other stuff would matter. I was both relieved and pleased to learn that the FZ’s shortcomings had been remedied.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I learned to be careful washing Ducatis. loving thing won't start and is throwing an Immobilizer antenna error... $50 for an antenna. Of course, I don't have the CODE card so I can't start it without the immobilizer and you need to move to a Nemesis/Microtec ECU ($1k) to remove the immobilizer. Woop. Get to wait for one of these loving antennas to ship.

e: gently caress

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 20, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

e: gently caress

They slide down the key shaft all the time.. Take the cover off and see if it's fallen down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I did. It looked fine and was dry so I have no idea. Watch replacing it not fix the issue and I end up buying a Microtec ECU.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Take it off, stick it in the sun for a while and/or whack it with contact cleaner all over, and connector both ends, squidge some dc4 /dielectric grease in the connector, hook it up, cross your fingers and pray.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
Cheeky motherfuckers tried it again tonight!

I'd parked my bike right outside my flat 20 ft away from my lounge window and had put my bicycle D lock on the front wheel as well as having a disc lock on the back. I was waiting for my mate to get home so I could move the bike to his and off my road, so in the mean time I was behaving like the US Army's finest ranger and sat sentry in front of the window all evening. To my shame, I moved into the comfort of the sofa and out of eye line of my bike, but I heard a van ticking over at half 11, and stuck a head to the window to see a transit on the road with one pikey inside with the back doors open and two other cunts trying their best to move my bike.

Making like the finest of English gents, I ran out in my slippers and gave them my finest "Oi!" and I've never seen people scarper so quickly. I threw one guy to the floor which resulted in him dropping my bike and the other hopped in the van. I tried to get the number plate, but went to the wrong side of the van, and by the time I'd gone back to the other side, the fella I threw over had jumped into the back of the van and they started to drive off with the back doors open which resulted in me taking chase like the T1000 trying to get abreast of the van so I could see the number plate. I only got the first two characters unfortunately and got back to a bike with a now broken brake lever and stuck throttle :(

The bike is now safe, and is safely parked in my friend's dining room and my dad's coming tomorrow with a van of our own. loving pikey bastards.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good loving god drat, dude. Where do you even live?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Get a gun.

M42 posted:

Sounds like the UK.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Get a gun.

Sounds like the UK.

Shotgun sounds like a good solution if it wasn't. I've got a 12 Gauge for "social activities".

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 20, 2014

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
What the hell bike do you have? Is it made of solid gold or something?

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

M42 posted:

Yeah a small town in the UK. The area of town I live in is mostly populated by students, so robberies and thefts peak now, as it's out of term time and there's a lot of unattended property.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What the hell bike do you have? Is it made of solid gold or something?

Its only a Honda CRF250L, but before these boys tried nicking it, it was in mint condition and anything that looks like an off roader is prime pickings for gypsies because they love the things. Unfortunately, they're probably mistaking it for one of Honda's better and much quicker CRF models. They probably wouldn't bother if they knew how uninspiring the engine was.

e: Also, thanks for all of the concern guys. It's nice to know there are decent people out there that value a man's motorbike as much as I do.

Just Horizontal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 20, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Just Horizontal posted:

Yeah a small town in the UK. The area of town I live in is mostly populated by students, so robberies and thefts peak now, as it's out of term time and there's a lot of unattended property.

Oh if you're dealing with students and not just gyppos then you need something bigger than a shotgun with rock salt. By any chance have you seen a little movie called Dirty Harry?

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Oh if you're dealing with students and not just gyppos then you need something bigger than a shotgun with rock salt. By any chance have you seen a little movie called Dirty Harry?

Nah, we're dealing with gypises, it's just they're attracted to the students that live around here - me included. I'd very much like to do many things Dirty Harry would approve of as well. I've been sat here wondering if there was a way I could have inflicted physical pain and defended my bike. Unfortunately, on my way out to confront them, I figured that if I did get into a fight, I'd only just get beaten up by the three of them, for them to then make off with my bike. So I went for the low contact approach that guaranteed property retention.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Had a learning experience over the last few days which is surprising I haven't had before given I've been working on bikes professionally for about 5 years now. Had two bikes that needed test riding after a bunch of work, two quite different bikes. One was an old XS650 with pod filters and some custom (though not very loud) exhaust, one was a bone stock Scarabeo 150 (Rotax, carbed). This is in New England so it's freezing now of course. The weather had been dry and sunny lately, although in the mid 20s most of the time. So I had the same experience with each bike. Started each up, idled it, ran it a bunch inside the shop (room temperature), took it outside (mid 20s), rode it down the street to a large parking lot. By the time I got to the parking lot, bike started to run like poo poo, wouldn't idle, acted like it was running out of gas. Aprilia died out entirely, wouldn't restart, had to push it back. XS650 could be kept going with the choke on, but didn't run great. Got them both back to the shop, did all kinds of diagnosis on both cause it never occurred to me what was going on. Aprilia has good gas flow, XS has perfect timing, perfect carb sync, carbs just cleaned, etc. Both run perfect after getting them back indoors. They were just incapable of running in such low temperatures without rejetting. A good argument in favor of fuel injection.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Had a learning experience over the last few days which is surprising I haven't had before given I've been working on bikes professionally for about 5 years now. Had two bikes that needed test riding after a bunch of work, two quite different bikes. One was an old XS650 with pod filters and some custom (though not very loud) exhaust, one was a bone stock Scarabeo 150 (Rotax, carbed). This is in New England so it's freezing now of course. The weather had been dry and sunny lately, although in the mid 20s most of the time. So I had the same experience with each bike. Started each up, idled it, ran it a bunch inside the shop (room temperature), took it outside (mid 20s), rode it down the street to a large parking lot. By the time I got to the parking lot, bike started to run like poo poo, wouldn't idle, acted like it was running out of gas. Aprilia died out entirely, wouldn't restart, had to push it back. XS650 could be kept going with the choke on, but didn't run great. Got them both back to the shop, did all kinds of diagnosis on both cause it never occurred to me what was going on. Aprilia has good gas flow, XS has perfect timing, perfect carb sync, carbs just cleaned, etc. Both run perfect after getting them back indoors. They were just incapable of running in such low temperatures without rejetting. A good argument in favor of fuel injection.

Assuming these are both air cooled? I don't know much about carbs, but I do know they'll ice up in the right conditions without some form of deice or anti ice protection. Usually under the hood of a car there's enough latent heat that it doesn't matter, but on an exposed bike engine it probably sheds heat in those temps faster than it can keep the carb warm enough. I wouldn't think they'd do things like circulate coolant through the carb body or anything on a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Get a gun.

Sounds like the UK.

I think a 2x4 with a nail through it would be more fun.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I figured out a way to disable the immobilizer on my bike for $15. I already have a nice Lonetec KKL cable from when I had my Daytona 675 - I just had to order a cable that adapts the KKL to 3 pin Fiat diagnostic port. Gonna dump my ECU with GuzziDiag, remove the immobilizer function, and reflash it. I'll probably find someone locally with a DP ECU and dump their ECU, then flash mine with it. Hmm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just Horizontal posted:

Its only a Honda CRF250L, but before these boys tried nicking it, it was in mint condition and anything that looks like an off roader is prime pickings for gypsies because they love the things. Unfortunately, they're probably mistaking it for one of Honda's better and much quicker CRF models. They probably wouldn't bother if they knew how uninspiring the engine was.

e: Also, thanks for all of the concern guys. It's nice to know there are decent people out there that value a man's motorbike as much as I do.

:psyboom:

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, I know it fits the perfect definition on a vulnerable bike on the road, but you wouldn't catch me going this mental over a 250. I could understand if it was a KTM or something.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

Assuming these are both air cooled? I don't know much about carbs, but I do know they'll ice up in the right conditions without some form of deice or anti ice protection. Usually under the hood of a car there's enough latent heat that it doesn't matter, but on an exposed bike engine it probably sheds heat in those temps faster than it can keep the carb warm enough. I wouldn't think they'd do things like circulate coolant through the carb body or anything on a bike.
The Scarabeo is water cooled. Some bikes do circulate coolant through the carb, can't remember if the Aprilia does or not.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Sold the Ninja 500, sold after 6 weeks in the middle of winter for the same price I bought it for (2k). Not bad for a bike I bought, dropped twice (no damage except barends) , rode a year+, then moved up. Probably could've got more if I waited til spring but meh. A lot of people I know/work with were interested in buying it, just didn't have the money or couldn't justify a "toy". Wanted to do payments to me but no, you wanna borrow money go to a bank. I do believe they had the best of intentions but poo poo happens, and life doesn't always go as planned.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nice sale, congrats! What's next?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just Horizontal posted:

Nah, we're dealing with gypises, it's just they're attracted to the students that live around here - me included. I'd very much like to do many things Dirty Harry would approve of as well. I've been sat here wondering if there was a way I could have inflicted physical pain and defended my bike. Unfortunately, on my way out to confront them, I figured that if I did get into a fight, I'd only just get beaten up by the three of them, for them to then make off with my bike. So I went for the low contact approach that guaranteed property retention.
Time to hot wire the bike.

As in, wire the frame up to the electrical mains.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

M42 posted:

Nice sale, congrats! What's next?

2013 Ninja 650, picked it up a couple months ago, got a good deal on it, it was the guy's father selling it for his son who was deployed so he let it go pretty cheap. Not exactly a huge leap power wise, but I don't really need much more power, just wanted a more modern, better looking bike really.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Thats odd, all my carbed bikes ran differently in the cold for sure, but none were non-functional. Even the picky flat-slides were still usable at freezing temps.

Tanbo posted:

2013 Ninja 650, picked it up a couple months ago, got a good deal on it, it was the guy's father selling it for his son who was deployed so he let it go pretty cheap. Not exactly a huge leap power wise, but I don't really need much more power, just wanted a more modern, better looking bike really.

Nice! The Kawi 650 P-twins are fun engines, enjoy it!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Damnit I can't find a place in Palm Springs at which to rent a motorcycle aside from Eagle Rider, which basically has Harleys at that location. Naturally there's places in LA that rent like Ducatis and poo poo, which would be great. I'd love to take a 899 Panigale up and down that mountain but I think the hassle of getting the bike from LA to Palm Springs is going to be too much.

Of course, they'll deliver it for $200 each loving way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Damnit I can't find a place in Palm Springs at which to rent a motorcycle aside from Eagle Rider, which basically has Harleys at that location. Naturally there's places in LA that rent like Ducatis and poo poo, which would be great. I'd love to take a 899 Panigale up and down that mountain but I think the hassle of getting the bike from LA to Palm Springs is going to be too much.

Sheeeeyit... I'll ride the Panigale from LA to palm Springs for you.

V:shobon:V

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Sheeeeyit... I'll ride the Panigale from LA to palm Springs for you.

V:shobon:V

Cool, sounds good; I'll send you the dates and everything.

But naturally, you'd have to rent the thing yourself. I'd pay for the rental, of course, but your rear end would be on the hook with the rental company. :keke:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Cool, sounds good; I'll send you the dates and everything.

But naturally, you'd have to rent the thing yourself. I'd pay for the rental, of course, but your rear end would be on the hook with the rental company. :keke:

I know, or else it would be a totally serious offer. :sigh: I just want to ride a Duc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tanbo posted:

2013 Ninja 650

Blue ninja 650 buddies. :buddy::hf::cool:

Get a tail tidy, it looks much better without that big chunk of plastic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do they charge per mile? If not, ride that fucker from LA to NY

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

I know, or else it would be a totally serious offer. :sigh: I just want to ride a Duc.

Yeah really, it would be the best of both worlds unless one of us crashed the drat thing.

But poo poo, if you're in LA, ain't nothing stopping you from just renting one and riding it around there, eventually ending up on one of those rnickeymouse videos.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah really, it would be the best of both worlds unless one of us crashed the drat thing.

But poo poo, if you're in LA, ain't nothing stopping you from just renting one and riding it around there, eventually ending up on one of those rnickeymouse videos.

:lol:That is exactly what is stopping me from renting one. I'll wait until I've got closer to 10K miles under my belt before I start loving with bikes that cost more than my yearly rent.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

captainOrbital posted:

What are you doing in Palm Springs and when? You might be able to rent from PS Motorsports, but I don't know if they do such a thing. Otherwise, you might be able to rent in Riverside or Redlands and ride from there (an hour away).

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

El Jebus posted:

What are you doing in Palm Springs and when? You might be able to rent from PS Motorsports, but I don't know if they do such a thing. Otherwise, you might be able to rent in Riverside or Redlands and ride from there (an hour away).

I'll be there in mid-to-late January for the Clinton Global Initiative/Humana Challenge. Not sure how long I'll be in town, but I'm hoping to get one day on two wheels at least.

I actually emailed PS Motorsports a while ago to ask, since they're a new shop and their inventory is nice. They have Yamahas and KTMs, which is right up my alley. Worst case, Eagle Rider does have a big GS and like a ST1300 so there's that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I'm like a 45m ride through awesome roads away from PS if you wanna do some sort of ride while you're there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It starts now but I'll still be replacing the antenna with the one from eBay because it's obviously bad. I'll probably also be making a BIN/XDF to remove the immobilizer just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm like a 45m ride through awesome roads away from PS if you wanna do some sort of ride while you're there.

Which direction? Towards Idylwild or towards Joshua Tree? Because towards Redlands and towards the Salton Sea is not awesome roads.