Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Joyous Kwanzaa, bike nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

M42 posted:

:hfive: White gear buddy!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
White Christmas is for jerks:

so are tables

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Update on the stolen bike... We found some footage and found out that it was a 18-21 year old light skinned male wearing a beanie, leather coat, and baggy pants. He broke the ignition on the bike and then rode it off. It was not lifted into a truck. The incident started at 2:49am when he entered the property and was walking around looking to see if someone was outside. He walked over to the bike at 3am and started it at 3:11am. It only took a minute before it was warm enough for him to ride off at 3:12am. Unfortunately my video that I got is very poor quality, but I will be passing it onto the police so they can check traffic cameras to hopefully get a face to this little punk.

If it happens to be one of the shithead kids around here he is going to have to learn how to ride a bike with my foot broken off in his rear end.
:argh: :argh: :argh:

Other than that Santa brought me a new gopro. Hopefully he brings me a new bike later on to go with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

White Christmas is for jerks:

so are tables

Breakdown_panorama.jpg

Kidding, we don't have a white Christmas here in the Midwest either. Saw some dude out on a harley today coating it in road salt :reject:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Breakdown_panorama.jpg

Kidding, we don't have a white Christmas here in the Midwest either. Saw some dude out on a harley today coating it in road salt :reject:

Shine on, that crazy diamond.

Also my KTM has been very reliable. Except for the occasional low RPM misfire/stall, which happens like, once a month. COMPUTERS :argh:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Took a Christmas ride around mercer island in Seattle, they might as well rename it the mercer island trail considering all the people walking and riding bikes two abreast. Other than that and what looked like damp moss in the center strips, it was a good ride. Also found out the stuff will power wheelie in second on flat ground pretty good as long as you stay on the throttle. I tend to give up on it too soon or don't stay leaned back long enough.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 26, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just remember that power wheelies come up faster the higher you are in the wheelie.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It is amazing how fast the KTM comes up in second gear if you turn the TC off. Downhill, no less.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll get them in second all the time popping off the crest of a hill (and get to just-before-balance-point for a few seconds) but on flat ground I usually just look like a dork trying to hyperextend their elbows and accelerate quickly for 20 feet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Today I rode the sv for the first time. This gif accurately portrays my feelings.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's the wrong one :colbert:

The uncurling of the grinch's hair only happens above 11k rpm.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hmm, you're right. I don't think I can find a gif that would depict the first time I upshifted and got back on the throttle the way I used to on the ninja...

?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Keep talking, tell me more of what it's like on the outside :negative:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah Grinch is for i4s.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah Grinch is for i4s.

Yeah, but I still wish my I4 was a twin. Or a bike with a clutch that has a friction zone greater than 2cm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Ahhh waah get used to it. You gotta spend a lot of time in the zone anyway to help ease the twitchy throttle.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you think your clutch is hard to use, you need to ride an old BMW. They have no friction zones. They sell mod kits to change the cable travel because of this: http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/howto/clutch.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, but I still wish my I4 was a twin. Or a bike with a clutch that has a friction zone greater than 2cm.

I wish my I4 was a twin but then I realise that every twin I can buy for the same money sucks rear end by comparison.

Also big v-twin bikes have really funny feeling gearing. It always feels like they wanted to capitalise on the immense mid-range, but overshot and made the gears waaaaay toooo loooooooooooong so it feels like you're going nowhere fast while the engine wheezes it's way to the torquey part of it's range. Disclaimer: only big v-twin I've ridden was a Firestorm.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Vtwins are decepitvely fast, while i4s make everything much more frantic feeling. I never thought I'd like twins but now I seem to like them more than I4s.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

V4, best of both worlds. :getin:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A v4 is just an i4 that doesn't sound good at high rpm.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

And is harder to maintain than both v2s and i4s.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Took a nice long Christmas ride out to the beach yesterday. It was actually really pleasant despite the fact that the ends of my fingers were slowly freezing off. No traffic, beautiful day.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

Ahhh waah get used to it. You gotta spend a lot of time in the zone anyway to help ease the twitchy throttle.

I've been used to the clutch for a while, but if the friction zone was about 3x as wide it could probably be the best bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Today I rode the sv for the first time. This gif accurately portrays my feelings.

And this is me when I go out in my garage and see my bike under its cover

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Just brought my battery indoors for the winter, at least I got to ride on Christmas Eve but I no longer trust the weather in Ohio. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Flikken posted:

Just brought my battery indoors for the winter, at least I got to ride on Christmas Eve but I no longer trust the weather in Ohio. :(

That must be what it feels like to be told your first child was stillborn. Goondolences.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most I4's sound like poo poo though. Hondas especially, they sound depressingly similar to their four wheeled fartcan cousins.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Ha that owns.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Red bike = better than

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The wrongest post on the internet, see it above!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORj5sSrF_X8

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I want a Tuono v4 or RSV4 so bad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but that's an aggressively illegal exhaust and no other v4s sound like that. Most of them sound blah.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Yeah but that's an aggressively illegal exhaust and no other v4s sound like that. Most of them sound blah.

Even the stock exhaust sounds insane, but yeah, agreed, not like the rest.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My NC30 sounded amazing compared to my CBR400. Decent comparison of I4 vs V4 I thought. I agree that VFR800's sound pretty lame but I'm struggling to think of any other V4's you would see on a regular basis. The v-max sounds amazing, the RSV4/Tuono sound amazing, the old interceptors sound pretty sweet with the right exhaust. I'm stuck for other v-fours to compare; I4's are just so much more common.

As a side note, crossplane R1's are the best sounding I4, and that's an I4 trying really hard to be a V4.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pretty much the only other production V4s have been Hondas and all Hondas sound like poo poo so I'm not sure what your point is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

My NC30 sounded amazing compared to my CBR400. Decent comparison of I4 vs V4 I thought. I agree that VFR800's sound pretty lame but I'm struggling to think of any other V4's you would see on a regular basis. The v-max sounds amazing, the RSV4/Tuono sound amazing, the old interceptors sound pretty sweet with the right exhaust. I'm stuck for other v-fours to compare; I4's are just so much more common.

As a side note, crossplane R1's are the best sounding I4, and that's an I4 trying really hard to be a V4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQFoIjvJEY

I have no idea what anyone is talking about with the whole "VFRs sound like poo poo" thing. :confused: Then again, internet motorcycle forums, I guess.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pretty much the only other production V4s have been Hondas and all Hondas sound like poo poo so I'm not sure what your point is.

Z3n will be along shortly to post the one exception to this rule...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQFoIjvJEY

I have no idea what anyone is talking about with the whole "VFRs sound like poo poo" thing. :confused: Then again, internet motorcycle forums, I guess.

I've never seen a VFR800 with an aftermarket exhaust in my life; I stand happily corrected.