Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I like him because he's a small dude (my exact height/inseam) and knows my pain with regular sized bikes :qq:

Renaissance Robot posted:

e/ ^^ that is stupid cool. Why is playing dress up so much fun?

That sounds awesome! Alpinestars would be my first go-to for that, their logo is both understated and sufficiently spacey to begin with (though maybe there are issues with fit/features, I haven't tried any of their stuff out so much as scrolled past a ton of it and thought "huh, that looks nice")

OTOH, I own an alpinestars 2 piece that has the logo/name on it no less than 10 times. Also I've been hearing from track/race buddies that astars quality has been going downhill the last few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

M42 posted:

OTOH, I own an alpinestars 2 piece that has the logo/name on it no less than 10 times. Also I've been hearing from track/race buddies that astars quality has been going downhill the last few seasons.

Yeah I've got an alpine stars jacket with
-ALPINESTARS along the front
-ALPINESTARS on each sleeve
-ALPINESTARS on the collar
-A* logo on each shoulder
-A* logo on back twice
-A* logo on collar velcro
-alpinestarsalpinestarsalpinestars along the zipper

On the other hand, my Dainese jacket just says 'Dainese' on the front and has the demon logo, sans text, on the back.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ha, figures. Web store thumbnails tend to make it look like just one big a* centre chest/back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Alpinestars obnoxious logo placement is one of the reasons I went for Dainese instead. I like their gear, but if I'm going to look like a walking billboard I want a god drat endorsement deal.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Alpinestars obnoxious logo placement is one of the reasons I went for Dainese instead. I like their gear, but if I'm going to look like a walking billboard I want a god drat endorsement deal.

Emnrace the A* tramp stamp.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
This one goes out to my hog riding CA brethren in Europe--Slaghammer, Dirk the Smirk, Unctuous Ron, and Lemmy.

http://www.theonion.com/article/tour-de-france-won-rowdy-tattooed-biker-harley-dav-50932

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

I like him because he's a small dude (my exact height/inseam) and knows my pain with regular sized bikes :qq:

I've been down twice at >60mph and once on a supermoto with my Alpinestars suit. All is well, and it's a cheapy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

This one goes out to my hog riding CA brethren in Europe--Slaghammer, Dirk the Smirk, Unctuous Ron, and Lemmy.

http://www.theonion.com/article/tour-de-france-won-rowdy-tattooed-biker-harley-dav-50932

quote:

Spectators said the highlight of the Tour came when Scab popped a celebratory wheelie

Immersion ruined :qq:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Alpinestars would be my first go-to for that, their logo is both understated and sufficiently spacey to begin with

Lolwut. A*s logo is all over their poo poo. They're probably the worst for putting their logo everywhere.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shimrod posted:

Lolwut. A*s logo is all over their poo poo. They're probably the worst for putting their logo everywhere.

I can't think of a single company (besides Harley Davidson) that comes close to being as egregious as they are.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What can I say? I just didn't think it looked that bad.

It's less obnoxious than That loving Fox at any rate

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

What can I say? I just didn't think it looked that bad.

It's less obnoxious than That loving Fox at any rate

Their logo and product look fine, it's just the amount of branding they cram onto it that I am bothered by. I don't want to look like a stock car.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Immersion ruined :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0PW85ok8A

watch to the end. checkmate, plebs

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Wearing a helmet: immersion ruined again.

I chatted with a dude at a couple of stoplights who was riding a Nighthawk 750. He was a pretty cool guy.

DATAPOINT FOR RANDOM BIKE RIDERS BEING COOL: 1 in favor

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

Wearing a helmet: immersion ruined again.

I chatted with a dude at a couple of stoplights who was riding a Nighthawk 750. He was a pretty cool guy.

DATAPOINT FOR RANDOM BIKE RIDERS BEING COOL: 1 in favor

There's a nighthawk that's parked outside my favorite mexican restaurant. It has so much pollen and junk on it that it's unclear it's ever been ridden but I'm going to go ahead and say Datapoints: 2 in favor.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I really need to see the Husqvarna 710 in person.

I've been dreaming of spending all of the monies on this bike for months now. KTM 690 SMC in new livery that nobody will buy? Count me in! Besides, it will match my garage: Volvo 240 project car, Volvo C30 supa clean daily driver.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I just moved ~2,126 miles / 3 421 km across Australia from Perth to Melbourne without a bike.

Picking up an '09 DRZ400SM with 11,000 km on the clock, a bunch of aftermarket parts including exhaust, barkbusters, bash plates, case savers and the 3x3 airbox and jetting mods already done. I'm so excited just to be back on a bike, and this will be my first supermoto. I fell in love during the test ride, and the bike has just been babied by the previous owner, it's immaculate.

Bring on the weekend.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I really need to see the Husqvarna 710 in person.

I've been dreaming of spending all of the monies on this bike for months now. KTM 690 SMC in new livery that nobody will buy? Count me in! Besides, it will match my garage: Volvo 240 project car, Volvo C30 supa clean daily driver.

Have they announced if this is coming to the US? I might like to trade my BMW Husky for a KTM Husky.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

Have they announced if this is coming to the US? I might like to trade my BMW Husky for a KTM Husky.

Still just says summer 2015.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I've been dreaming of spending all of the monies on this Volvo 240.

How I parsed this post. The facts are irrelevant.

God dag, brick bro.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 30, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How is there basically no chatter in CA about Our Guy In India? Am I the only one here with this big a mancrush on Guy Martin?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
India? I thought he was doing a land speed record for Triumph.

I've been reading this, am about halfway through now, and it's pretty awesome:
http://mattwatkins.org/ibr09/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/John-Young-2011-IBR.pdf
Diary of a guy who did an Ironbutt Rally, which i think was the 48 state ride, visiting all lower 48 states over 11000 miles in 11 days, on a 1969 Triumph Trident. And he wasn't even from the US.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

crowtribe posted:

I just moved ~2,126 miles / 3 421 km across Australia from Perth to Melbourne without a bike.

Picking up an '09 DRZ400SM with 11,000 km on the clock, a bunch of aftermarket parts including exhaust, barkbusters, bash plates, case savers and the 3x3 airbox and jetting mods already done. I'm so excited just to be back on a bike, and this will be my first supermoto. I fell in love during the test ride, and the bike has just been babied by the previous owner, it's immaculate.

Bring on the weekend.

I'm slightly jealous.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How is there basically no chatter in CA about Our Guy In India? Am I the only one here with this big a mancrush on Guy Martin?

Wasn't this aired months ago? It's pretty good, I liked the train part and the race at the end. :) Love that dude.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

India? I thought he was doing a land speed record for Triumph.

I've been reading this, am about halfway through now, and it's pretty awesome:
http://mattwatkins.org/ibr09/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/John-Young-2011-IBR.pdf
Diary of a guy who did an Ironbutt Rally, which i think was the 48 state ride, visiting all lower 48 states over 11000 miles in 11 days, on a 1969 Triumph Trident. And he wasn't even from the US.

Balls of steel involved, even before you factor in the vintage Brit bike. So platinum, maybe?

Must read just to see if the prince of darkness came calling.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I want a supermoto so bad, but then again I also don't want a motorcycle stolen from me very badly as well, I'm torn...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Radbot posted:

I want a supermoto so bad, but then again I also don't want a motorcycle stolen from me very badly as well, I'm torn...

Solution: Cheap supermoto, comprehensive insurance and a desire for an anecdote.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Garage: problem solved.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Or just don't live in Denver.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Solution: Cheap supermoto, comprehensive insurance and a desire for an anecdote.

What is this thing you call a "cheap" supermoto? crf230 with sumo conversion because that's what I want for a cheap setup. Otherwise sumos are $$$$$$

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

$3500 will get you a WR250X. That's not EX250 cheap but it's still very doable as a low cost bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought a used DRZ-SM counted as cheap, but then I don't know much about supermotos. Perhaps a KLR with street tires in dirt dimensions and some energy drink stickers?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I want to get a DRZ SM, and I don't want to pay that ridiculous new price, but it seems to be nearly impossible to find one that isn't a clapped out RedMonsterStar shitheap. The ones that are stock are selling for near MSRP.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

How I parsed this post. The facts are irrelevant.

God dag, brick bro.

If only you knew the story of my 240. :stare:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have the day off so I took the opportunity to tighten the chain on my bike (just hit 700 miles) then rode over to the court house and got the tag. Since I've already payed for a year of insurance I pretty much just have to ride it and change the oil :feelsgood:

Except then I got a call from the dealer ship. It turns out there's a factory recall on my cb300f. Turns out the starter is bad and could arc into the bike; turns out they weren't even supposed to sell it to me (person on phone's words); turns out I really really shouldn't ride it anymore and don't worry they'll bring some one over to pick it up now. No it's cool I'm glad it rained all week and now it's nice. I'm gonna play War Thunder and take it very personally any time my pretend tank has engine trouble.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have the day off so I took the opportunity to tighten the chain on my bike (just hit 700 miles) then rode over to the court house and got the tag. Since I've already payed for a year of insurance I pretty much just have to ride it and change the oil :feelsgood:

Except then I got a call from the dealer ship. It turns out there's a factory recall on my cb300f. Turns out the starter is bad and could arc into the bike; turns out they weren't even supposed to sell it to me (person on phone's words); turns out I really really shouldn't ride it anymore and don't worry they'll bring some one over to pick it up now. No it's cool I'm glad it rained all week and now it's nice. I'm gonna play War Thunder and take it very personally any time my pretend tank has engine trouble.

Tell them you want a loaner.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

builds character posted:

I called the local Kawi authorized dealer the other day to try and schedule some warranty work (couldn't do it as their lead tech got in a bike wreck :laugh:). I asked if they would give me a loaner or if I needed to have a friend drive me home and the dude straight up laughed at me.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Jack B Nimble posted:

builds character posted:

drat right. If Honda hosed up enough to make a bike dangerous to ride the least they could do is supply a loaner until its fixed. That's the one thing BMW did well on the R1200RT suspension fiasco They told people who's bikes were affected they could get a full refund, full BMW credit with extra and BMW would take the bike back or a loaner until it was fixed.

My local Suzuki/Honda dealer will give you a loaner bike (for £22) when yours is in the shop if needed. Handy for those valve checks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well, the said they don't have any loaner bikes because of the insurance costs and I didn't throw a fit about it. They say the parts will be in Tuesday, just a little lame because I had a three day weekend.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In other words they're too cheap to take care of their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Well, i test-rode the Brutale. Quick review - absolutely amazing bike to look at, utterly pedestrian to ride - basically a slightly sharper Striple. Now that might be an advantage to some, or even most, people, but I like a bike that feels special when you're just puttering down the road to the shops. As people love pointing out, you can't see the bike when you're riding it, so I like a bit of - here's that dreaded word coming up - character in the ride.

MV have managed to make a bike that is simultaneously about as Italian-looking as it can be and as un-Italian as possible to ride. Apart from a very slightly more comfortable seat it's pretty much impossible to tell apart from a Striple (and those who love the idea of the Triumph but who have to be unique snowflakes, I'd seriously suggest you check out the MV, because in the flesh it is seriously loving gorgeous). It doesn't even sound Italian, it's actually quieter than the Triumph.

Also a quick note for motorbike salesmen - don't spend half your time with a prospective client slagging off the bike he owns and has owned for six years, because it's just possible that he might be quite attached to it, and maaaayyyyybe an MV dealer shouldn't be criticising Aprilia reliability and parts availability, especially to someone who overheard him telling a customer it was going to take a week to get him a replacement battery.