Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I took my Vstrom onto some dirt roads last night, in the dark. I've never done dirt before except a small stretch on my cbr, so this was all new for me.

I didn't crash! But it was squirrelly and kinda scary sliding around on the sand top. Further down the road it started getting really loving sandy, like ruts of sand in the road, so I decided to turn around in the best place possible, a sand pit. :doh:

I also found this kinda spooky cross out there.

Dirt is fun but I think next time I need something lighter :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schroeder91 posted:

I also found this kinda spooky cross out there.

It's yours :ghost:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yay finally something else for you people to incessantly recommend!

The 1290 Superduke GT will finally allow us to buy fake-chrome tack-on GT badges to put everywhere. The spirit of the 80s is alive in Austria!

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/ktm-1290-super-duke-gt---first-official-pics/28264.html
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-finally-revealed/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Superduke for old men.

Gentlemanduke.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Slavvy posted:

Superduke for old men.

Gentlemanduke.

Oh god I want one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That'll be great for Z3n, he loves the SD but wants something to commute on...oh wait.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's super gauche to have more than one 1301cc LC8 in your garage. I'm not some kind of scummy bike 1%er, ok?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elegant solution, two garages.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Now you're thinking like a member of the ruling class!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Well, right as I'm contemplating buying a new CB500X with ABS for $7500, a used one pops up with 800mi on it for under $4k, but it doesn't have ABS.

I have no idea how long it'll take to get a used one with ABS. I don't know if I'm that patient.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Now you're thinking like a member of the ruling class!

The 1%er badges used by Hell's Angels and Bandidos is pretty hilarious in this context.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well, right as I'm contemplating buying a new CB500X with ABS for $7500, a used one pops up with 800mi on it for under $4k, but it doesn't have ABS.

I have no idea how long it'll take to get a used one with ABS. I don't know if I'm that patient.

How much is a new one without ABS? I would definitely hold out, shop around, travel a little bit. That first hit of depreciation is nice to save.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Yay finally something else for you people to incessantly recommend!

The 1290 Superduke GT will finally allow us to buy fake-chrome tack-on GT badges to put everywhere. The spirit of the 80s is alive in Austria!

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/ktm-1290-super-duke-gt---first-official-pics/28264.html
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-finally-revealed/

This is what the AX should have been. KTM keep on eating Erik's lunch.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

This is what the AX should have been. KTM keep on eating Erik's lunch.

The new Buells were, as far as I could tell, $20,000 versions of these:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You are not wrong. They take "athletic" to hilarious extremes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ola posted:

How much is a new one without ABS? I would definitely hold out, shop around, travel a little bit. That first hit of depreciation is nice to save.

$500 less, but there are probably five non-ABS bikes out there for every ABS and the ABS folks actually hang onto their bikes instead of flipping them six months later for something bigger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

$500 less, but there are probably five non-ABS bikes out there for every ABS and the ABS folks actually hang onto their bikes instead of flipping them six months later for something bigger.

Yeah, probably. Have you checked out its bigger cousin, the NC700X?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/5231593707.html

There's an S as well. I suppose it got a few more whacks of the ugly stick than the CB did, but same style and technology. I've ridden the DCT once, expecting to dislike it but it was really good.

e: whoa low side scrapes

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ola posted:

There's an S as well. I suppose it got a few more whacks of the ugly stick than the CB did, but same style and technology. I've ridden the DCT once, expecting to dislike it but it was really good.

lol my dad has had a CTX700 for the last year (with dct) and when he gets the opportunity to get a new bike what does he do? He loving buys a 2015 Nc700x with DCT. :smith:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Man that side looks chewed up. Even looks like there's a hole in the engine cover.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

lol my dad has had a CTX700 for the last year (with dct) and when he gets the opportunity to get a new bike what does he do? He loving buys a 2015 Nc700x with DCT. :smith:

The ctx and nc are totally indistinguishable to me, they're all just beige blobs with two wheels in there somewhere.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The CB500X is a million times more fun than the NC700X plus you can get ABS without DCT.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh right, I thought they were a lot more similar.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Superduke for old men.

Gentlemanduke.

Boy that sure is a swell looking bike, think I'll put some hard bags and a windjammer on one!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Made the mistake of walking into the KTM showroom at a bike store I use, there was, among other orange beauties, a SuperDuke 1290 there. $25k~ and it could be mine. Was kinda comfy. Seat cut into my thighs a bit and the I'd want to move the pegs up a bit I think, but I could always just get more foam put in the seat. Might see about a test ride next week. Just to see how it rides.

e: really it's the responsible choice with all is rider/safety aides. And it'd be a better all round commuter/touring bike.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 8, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shimrod posted:

Made the mistake of walking into the KTM showroom at a bike store I use, there was, among other orange beauties, a SuperDuke 1290 there. $25k~ and it could be mine. Was kinda comfy. Seat cut into my thighs a bit and the I'd want to move the pegs up a bit I think, but I could always just get more foam put in the seat. Might see about a test ride next week. Just to see how it rides.

e: really it's the responsible choice with all is rider/safety aides. And it'd be a better all round commuter/touring bike.

Isn't MSRP like 16 or 17?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I saw one for sale for $18k the other day. Maybe those are non America dollars?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, I'm looking at an '03 Harley VRSCA V-rod. Anything I should be wary of?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Bananana posted:

Being passed by ninjettes and mopeds with kits.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

builds character posted:

Isn't MSRP like 16 or 17?

This is AUD.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Last night a friend of mine bought a nice little CBF125. This morning it was gone.

Friend very unhappy, especially as it wasn't insured yet. :(

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The Bananana posted:

Be careful where you park it, you might get cited for illegal dumping.

(sorry, had to :) )

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Last night a friend of mine bought a nice little CBF125. This morning it was gone.

Friend very unhappy, especially as it wasn't insured yet. :(
That sucks. :(

I wouldn't pick a new bike up before it's insured. I don't know how it works where you are, but here you don't have to be the registered owner of a vehicle to buy insurance for it, so as soon as you know the plate number you can get it insured.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

When I bought my bike new from the dealer I didn't buy insurance until it was home. I didn't ride it home though because I didn't have gear yet, so I had to wait for my buddy to drive across town and in that time the shop closed. They put my bike outside and the sales guy caught a black suv scoping it out and called the police and hung around until we arrived to get it. Thanks dude for preventing my brand new bike from getting jacked.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Collateral Damage posted:

That sucks. :(

I wouldn't pick a new bike up before it's insured. I don't know how it works where you are, but here you don't have to be the registered owner of a vehicle to buy insurance for it, so as soon as you know the plate number you can get it insured.

Yeah, but it was too late to phone the company when he bought it - I rode it to his place under my insurance. I feel really stupid because we were talking about leaving my bike at a shed-owning friend's place whilst I'm away, and I just didn't think to suggest we took the 125 there. Guess no-one actually thought it would be stolen that quickly :(

The people who nicked it have a tool making capabilty on a par with really smart crows - they smashed the lock open with two rocks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, but it was too late to phone the company when he bought it

Do they not have online insurance where you are? I insured my bike with progressive on their website at like 8pm on a Saturday night before I picked it up the next day.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have two weeks after buying a vehicle through State Farm to give them the details, until I do its covered under my existing policy. If he had an insurance company but didn't let them know he bought something yet, he may be OK. If he didn't have anything... that really sucks.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ozmiander posted:

Being passed by ninjettes and mopeds with kits.

TEAH SYAG posted:

Be careful where you park it, you might get cited for illegal dumping.

(sorry, had to :) )

Heh, I guess not a good reputation? I saw it in person at the dealership, and it was beautiful, and sounded great. Then, as the salesman was showing me all the features, he found the "sold" tag. :(

Oh whell.

Lol, he then tried to put me in a bike that was waaaaaaay out of my budget. Ah salesmen... never change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's bad about vrod's (I'm meaning from an ownership perspective, not just lol Harley bs). I've only ever heard good things about them, but I don't know anyone who owns one first-hand.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They're a lot faster than big twin Harleys. Made for straight line quarter mile though. Not real all day comfortable.

Should get a Buell 1125 instead.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What's bad about vrod's (I'm meaning from an ownership perspective, not just lol Harley bs). I've only ever heard good things about them, but I don't know anyone who owns one first-hand.

Most people I've talked to have complaints about the dished wheels affecting handling at highway speeds and higher.

Not all of them have dished wheels though. Some of them even have rad paint like flaked purple wth silver flames instead of being all black.

...I'm mad that it's now end of summer and the seller of this one had dropped the price down to reasonable. I already have a Harley though and that $8k could go towards, I don't know, two Aprilias, or a GSXR and a sweet pair of sandals or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HotCanadianChick posted:

Do they not have online insurance where you are? I insured my bike with progressive on their website at like 8pm on a Saturday night before I picked it up the next day.

Car and bike insurance done by different companies here, so it couldn't go on existing insurance. No idea on website, but I think as a new bike owner he wanted to talk the quote through with a person. Anyway, bike will come back - police spotted it being driven the wrong way up a one way street and nabbed the guy who was riding it.