Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Angrymog posted:

Car and bike insurance done by different companies here, so it couldn't go on existing insurance. No idea on website, but I think as a new bike owner he wanted to talk the quote through with a person. Anyway, bike will come back - police spotted it being driven the wrong way up a one way street and nabbed the guy who was riding it.

It's a massive shitter, but unless the po po said anything about the condition expect it to come back pretty hosed up. My first scoot was robbed and completely trashed to bits, they took a hacksaw to my thick cable lock (all I could use at the time, no spokes or wheel threads) and left a screw driver at the crime scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

Car and bike insurance done by different companies here, so it couldn't go on existing insurance. No idea on website, but I think as a new bike owner he wanted to talk the quote through with a person. Anyway, bike will come back - police spotted it being driven the wrong way up a one way street and nabbed the guy who was riding it.

So glad to hear this! Losing a bike to theft, especially right after you got it and the newness is still glowing, is a crushing experience. Losing it without insurance, doubly so. gently caress bike thieves forever. Get a job that doesn't inflict such emotional damage.

It's going to come back thrashed, but that's better than no bike at all. This is why I always have a bike insured before I leave the premises after purchase. Mostly it's to protect me from me, like crashing a bike I'm unfamiliar with, but it's saved me from having the bike stolen 48 hours later.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We know the fairing was smashed when they took out the steering lock and ignition, but those 125s are tough little machines; at worst I'd expect handle bars and maybe a footpeg down (as well as ignition barrel of course) from when the oik ditched it and tried to run from the po po. Thief had it for less than a day too, so not much time to wreck it.

Fortunately bits are cheap as chips for that model.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Super Slash posted:

It's a massive shitter, but unless the po po said anything about the condition expect it to come back pretty hosed up. My first scoot was robbed and completely trashed to bits, they took a hacksaw to my thick cable lock (all I could use at the time, no spokes or wheel threads) and left a screw driver at the crime scene.
These bike thieves have tool using capability on a par with a smart crow - they used a rock to bash open the lock.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

These bike thieves have tool using capability on a par with a smart crow - they used a rock to bash open the lock.

Gonna go ahead and say "Get a better lock" because an otter apparently could have stolen your bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna go ahead and say "Get a better lock" because an otter apparently could have stolen your bike.

They are very clever and have adorable little paws so...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a hilarious visual.

Tell him not to fret about the fairing. From the pictures I saw, they are the worst part of the bike. That is a bike that needs to be streetfightered asap.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cbf125's need quite a bit of work to go naked, since a ton of electrical crap is strapped to the inside of those fairings. You can't just take them off and call it done.

builds character posted:

They are very clever and have adorable little paws so...

If an otter asked to have my bike I would probably say yes :3:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 9, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is my bike. Give it back you are an otter. It doesn't even fit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I know it's been a couple weeks since I rode my bike, but drat, I was not expecting a roach to come running out of my jacket when I picked it up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just to clarify, not my bike. My bike currently looks like this:

:smith:

Been using a divvy 600 provided by the insurance company. A bike that's been nicknamed 'Starscream' because it looks like a Decepticon and is disapointing in almost every way a motorcycle can be disapointing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Just to clarify, not my bike. My bike currently looks like this:

:smith:

Been using a divvy 600 provided by the insurance company. A bike that's been nicknamed 'Starscream' because it looks like a Decepticon and is disapointing in almost every way a motorcycle can be disapointing.

Did it take the hospital 12 loving hours to get the drugs for your bike like they always do for humans?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did it take the hospital 12 loving hours to get the drugs for your bike like they always do for humans?

Nah. She was straight onto a morphine drip. Seriously though, that bag holds all the bits of bike that I picked up from the road.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So we just had a couple brand new dealers open up in town, KTM and BMW.

I walked in, was offered water or soda, snacks, and the salesman knew their poo poo, were riders, and knew all about the bikes they had on offer. They also let me test ride two bikes, knowing I wasn't buying.

Pretty sure my next bike will come from them. loving awesome experience.

Edit: also the KTM dealer had at least two of every bike they sell, aside from the Duke 390. Its rare to see one with an RC8, and they had two.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Angrymog posted:

Nah. She was straight onto a morphine drip. Seriously though, that bag holds all the bits of bike that I picked up from the road.

btw motorcycles don't have genders because they're just mechanical objects

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Tell that to the dick in my garage.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Put down a deposit on a new Daytona 675 today.

Got a $1000 discount from the dealer plus the current deal triumph is doing for $1000 towards accessories etc so saved a bit. can't wait to pick it up!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Tell that to the dick in my garage.

Or the green oval office in mine.

Actually that's still not gendered, the bike is just a oval office.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

theperminator posted:

Put down a deposit on a new Daytona 675 today.

Got a $1000 discount from the dealer plus the current deal triumph is doing for $1000 towards accessories etc so saved a bit. can't wait to pick it up!

That's pretty sweet deal. If the Triumph dealer here had been willing to deal at all if have gotten an XRx instead of an FJ-09, but they wouldn't go below MsRP or knock of the destination charge or any of the other poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Guys, my old 675 is for sale.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5246922698.html

I wonder if I could get it back for less than I sold it for...
This is what it used to look like:

Terrible idea? Yes? No?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why wouldn't you want a bike that caused you endless headaches, only now in far worse and more molested condition?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Do it!
I'm not seeing what he's changed though? besides not cleaning the wheels.

Even though I've bought a new Daytona I still havent sold the wrecked old one, and am tempted to repair it and track it / have two daytonas so I'm not the best person to listen to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Do it!
I'm not seeing what he's changed though? besides not cleaning the wheels.

Even though I've bought a new Daytona I still havent sold the wrecked old one, and am tempted to repair it and track it / have two daytonas so I'm not the best person to listen to.

The wheels were plastidipped and he let it peel off. I've seen the bike once a year or so since I sold it three years ago to help him out with it. The motor that I swapped in dropped a valve on him last year and now it has an '11 motor in it that I made the map for.
Third motor for this bike. Needs front rotors since he never replaced them from when I had it and they were hosed.

Slavvy posted:

Why wouldn't you want a bike that caused you endless headaches, only now in far worse and more molested condition?
Probably because I loved, loved, loved the bike.. :v:

I'll stop by to look at it on Monday and Tuesday. I don't think I'd pay more than $4k for it as it sits. I know the thing front-to-back really well, guess I'll see how hosed it really is. I think I sold it for $5100.

edit:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5205249695.html

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 12, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

No frame damage? How do you know?

"Well, you know those japanese frames they design the forks to bend before the frame does so I'm sure the frame is fine"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
With the fact that both the Daytona 675, and fate itself, want the rider to die a horrible or bankrupting death, I'm afraid to know the answer to this. Why is the 675 the sweetest ambrosia that riders I respect cannot get enough of?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

What if it came from the factory with a man's name?

Feels weird referring to Ulysses as "it". At worst it's a horse named Mancha.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

With the fact that both the Daytona 675, and fate itself, want the rider to die a horrible or bankrupting death, I'm afraid to know the answer to this. Why is the 675 the sweetest ambrosia that riders I respect cannot get enough of?

Because it's a really fun bike with no major flaws that sounds great, handles sweetly, and is all around good to ride. Fun to ride slow, fun to ride fast.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Because it's a really fun bike with no major flaws that sounds great, handles sweetly, and is all around good to ride. Fun to ride slow, fun to ride fast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I get the feeling that 'not being a japanese I4' is the invisible addition to that list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I get the feeling that 'not being a japanese I4' is the invisible addition to that list.

Honestly, they've all made some great bikes but Triumph somehow managed to make a supersport fun, which is a tough thing to do. It's easy to make them fast, but it's hard to make them fun. The standouts for me are the 05 Kawasaki 636s, the 08 Honda CBR 1000RRs. Suzuki, well, you need to get into the oddball bikes to make those fun (B-king, anyone?). Yamaha, any crossplane R1 is a really fun, awesome sounding toy.

I think triumph was willing to lose a little racetrack ability for a lot of street fun. I never gelled with mine on the track, even with revalved and resprung suspension, it was always just...not quite as accurate as I wanted it to be. If that's the compromise they had to make, though, it's a totally worthwhile sacrifice.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I can get a 675 for 75% of MSRP. Convince me not to buy one CA.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Do it. There is quite literally no reason not to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

No frame damage? How do you know?

"Well, you know those japanese frames they design the forks to bend before the frame does so I'm sure the frame is fine"

That's what I was thinking. Fack, that motor though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Because it's a really fun bike with no major flaws

BlackMK4 posted:

Third motor for this bike.

:crossarms:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

-Inu- posted:

Well poo poo, even if you don't like it the immediate depreciation won't effect you at all. I'd go for it.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

I can understand the first motor blowing but the other two beat me, what was the cause anyway?

Mine lasted 7 years with no issues besides a regulator until I crashed it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm not sure how he managed to blow 2 engines. Mine were all perfectly reliable. They do have a tendency to burn a bit of oil so if you high RPM it all the time and don't keep an eye on the oil you can end up running them low on oil, so maybe that's it.

Oh and some of the 06es had build flaws that made them pop. But those have all popped by now :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is my opinion that the early bikes have oiling issues that result in bottom end failures and the 06-12 motors have issues keeping the valves in place. The '13 motor fits in the early frame, so it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wifes dr650 dropped a valve in death valley. Today has been a massive pain in the rear end.