Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

my carbed 4-cylinder honda does this too...
Because EPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
New bike poo poo: sore abs from figuring out a new riding position :feelsgood:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Was waiting in traffic today in my car, and a kid on a Ninja 300 who was splitting up the shoulder (illegal in California) managed to knock the passenger mirror off a Fiat. He was going about 30 miles an hour, and I had just started to think "that guy's splitting awfully fast" then CRAKKK and a bunch of mirror pieces go flying in the air.

He got into a serious wobble but held it together, and to his credit, he stopped and walked back to talk to the driver instead of just running away.

Don't split illegally at higher speeds than you're capable of handling, folks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I hit a murano's mirror with my mirror today. Luckily my lovely Chinese pseudo-rubber mirror just folded inwards with no harm to either vehicle.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My battery is toast. It's 11 months old. Yuasa :what:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a Suzuki, I don't think the battery maker is the first person to point fingers at in this situation...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As a Suzuki owner in these times I'm feeling it might be better to start befriending Buell owners than mocking them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Suzukis generally have pretty well laid out and comprehendable wiring. I'd blame something else besides the well-worn ca meme of "lol Suzuki"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What kind of monster not only puts too much copper grease on his bolts, but also gobs so much inside the heads that I can't fit the correct Allen key inside without reaching for a mallet, even after scraping out as much as possible? :bang:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
From working on bikes in a shop five years now I believe that all batteries are poo poo. Get the cheapest one you can and keep it alive with a battery tender used regularly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I'm constantly conflicted on whether to splash out for the yuasa or just get the batteries+ Chinese equivalent. In general, I find the yuasas to be more tolerant to temperature changes and being treated poorly, so they go in my bikes that I rely on and/or don't have kickstart.

I put the Chinese poo poo in the kickstart bikes and keep them on tenders, as they seem to not like sitting for extended periods.

I DO find that the yuasas tend to give you some warning that they're dying, so you have time to replace them without getting stranded. The Chinese batteries will just all of a sudden be dead one day when you walk up to your bike. So again, on the bikes that I use to get to work, especially on the elite 250, that can't be kick or bump started, I run yuasas

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 28, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

From working on bikes in a shop five years now I believe that all batteries are poo poo. Get the cheapest one you can and keep it alive with a battery tender used regularly.

It's always weird when you guys talk about batteries. I don't own a tender (but I do ride my bikes constantly), I'm at around bike 13-14 and I've had exactly one bad battery which died from a hosed RR. I flattened the battery on my ZRX and SV several times and jump/bump starting them + riding always resolved the issue without having to buy a new one. Maybe northern hemisphere winters cause it?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I killed my battery plenty of times when I had heated grips and it's still going strong. 09 with the original yuasa.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Battery Tender Jr. is like $15 on Amazon. Even if it only adds an extra 25% life to the battery, it's paid for itself.

As a bonus, using a tender on an old bike like my CL350 helps it start on the first kick regardless of weather. Nice hot spark.

Slavvy posted:

It's always weird when you guys talk about batteries. I don't own a tender (but I do ride my bikes constantly), I'm at around bike 13-14 and I've had exactly one bad battery which died from a hosed RR. I flattened the battery on my ZRX and SV several times and jump/bump starting them + riding always resolved the issue without having to buy a new one. Maybe northern hemisphere winters cause it?

I think that a single large, total discharge is less damaging to the battery than chronic undercharging. I've killed my car battery a few times by running it flat with the flashers or headlights or whatever, and yet when I recharge it it keeps on trucking. On the other hand, I went through three batteries on the 350 before I got a tender, upgraded the alternator, and installed an LED headlight. The way I had that bike set up, with double the stock head and taillight power, it would only actually charge the battery if you were over 4000 RPM. Any puttering around town with the headlight on and you'd be measuring 11.5 volts or less. My Hawk GT, which has a better alternator, has never had any battery issues despite similar riding patterns.

BTW, if you have an old bike, go to Amazon and immediately buy an OPT7 LED headlight. Draws 20 watts and is as bright as or brighter than a 65-watt halogen. That's a huge load difference on a borderline electrical system.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 28, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How do you go about talking someone down about $1500?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/5333506861.html

I can fix it for the cost of an eBay 848 ECU (<$75). Build an ECU BIN file with 999 software and no immo check, bench flash the 848 ECU, and toss it in the bike. Same thing I did with my 749.

e: He won't go lower than $5k. Ah well.

edit: Someone want to sanity check me? He came back with 4800.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 28, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Confirmed: you're insane for taking on project ducatis hth

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Come on, someone give me my own opinion in their voice

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's a non-broken 999 in similar condition worth?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the ecu dying a known thing on them or what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

he asked, about italian electronics

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

What's a non-broken 999 in similar condition worth?

I'm not entirely sure. KBB trade-in value is 5200. I figure maybe 5500 is right?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doesn't seem worth it then? Like, if you could buy a not-broken one for basically the same money then what's the point besides masochism?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The idea would be to flip it for a 10-20% profit like I did with my Tuono.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

$5200 trade-in for one with a working ECU + replacement cost for the ECU of $1500+labor to $3000 = about $3000 to $3500, I'd say. If he wants to get more, he can always try to fix it himself.

Like, this is basic mathematics. If he tried to trade it in at a Ducati dealership, they'd give him $2200. You're considering offering him $2600 more than it's worth to a dealer because you're counting on being able to fix it cheaply and easily.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You make a good point. Ah well. Where are people finding these dirt-cheap project bikes? :psyduck:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 28, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd wait him out until he's at 3700 (KBB less the 1500 replacement cost he quoted you himself) or let it go, but I'm not a Ducati person.

e: :argh: ninja-editing your post so mine doesn't make sense any more

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They often aren't on Craigslist. People listing project bikes on Craigslist know generally (or greatly over estimate) what they're worth with a bit of money spent towards fixing things.

My best project finds have come by word of mouth. The type of stuff like "hey I know a guy with an rd350 leaned up in a barn that he'll let go for a case of beer", or the $100 elite 250 I bought off a post on Facebook.

I know those are not in the same league as a Ducati 999 by any means, but what I'm saying is searching for crazy deals on Craigslist is not gonna net you much because it's filled with sellers who generally know what they have and buyers who snipe any remotely good deal instantly.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 28, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I almost bought a 999 with similar issues for 1800 bucks but couldn't quite justify it. Needed a bit more work than that though, but not significantly more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let me know if you find anything like that again... I know my way around the ECUs on these things a little bit ;)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any idea what started to grow on my cover?

My guess is spiders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deeters posted:

My guess is spiders.

Yes, spiders, but also, what an artfully composed shot. Nice use of texture and line.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I used to keep my bike covered under a tree. No end to the cool bugs I'd find/accidentally bring inside my apt.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had all sorts of problems with bugs and ants under my cover for a while, but now I just get a handful of ladybugs which are chill and adorable. :3:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

My guess is spiders.

Looks like the things that grow in my gas cap - I think it's actually some kind of caterpillar/worm thing? We get them a lot around here.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Just loving burn it and everything it ever touched.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shadowlz posted:

Brake cleaner works for this

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

This forum has already lost enough DRZs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/bb-b001-uk/ this is either genius or idiotic. USB power bank that comes with a 12v output and jumper cables. Tempted to chuck it in my letter to Santa anyway.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My buddy has one he got at Costco and has started multiple cars and a couple bikes with it. Cant remember the brand he got though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/bb-b001-uk/ this is either genius or idiotic. USB power bank that comes with a 12v output and jumper cables. Tempted to chuck it in my letter to Santa anyway.

I have one of those for the car. Works fine on bikes too and can charge your phone or the like if you're camping.