Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

100 miles on gravel today at around 2500-3000 feet. 5 gates bypassed, rested the bike on nature on 2 of them as it got unbalanced walking it standing beside it under power. Had to turn around once because of a unmelted snow drift.

A Good Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Getting an automatic transmission on a bike would basically make me give up on riding. Might have to tour some dealers and take some bikes on test drives.

The Zero electric bikes are clutchless. It's a weird change but it didn't bother me that much. Obviously an electric bike wont go the distances you referred to.

I want to go test ride bikes just because I've been without mine all month and the next couple weeks :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

Oh and FYI these are old injuries from childhood, not recent. They are just catching up to me now. Seems like raising kids made things worse (holding them in my arm or holding a pumpkin seat).

Looks like the Relluse is available for the SV650. Kind of wonder about getting one of those for it.

I'm probably fitting a rekluse to my spouses dr650 (gone 790) after the docs terminator his left arm back together. P much every body I've known that put one in loves it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Getting hardcore buyers remorse on my chosen zzr. The bike is great, but pearl burnish beige is the worst loving colour under the sun. Everybody else's bike is cooler than mine :(

Making this worse is the fact that later model years manage to incorporate the colour in a visually interesting way by juxtaposing it with gloss black:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Buy some vinyl and wrap it?

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

PaintVagrant posted:

Repsol livery.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

predictive posted:

Maybe poorly worded; I just meant I prefer the single sided swingarm.

I got to see a 2016 Thruxton R waiting on someone to pick it up; that bike is super sexy, and looks way better in person than in pics. The dual external Ohlins rear shocks and Showa forks was surprising. I could see buying one of these in a couple of years when a few thousand miles makes them more reasonably priced.

I'm so tempted to take one for a test ride because it's such a good-looking bike and allegedly the move to RBW has meant they've managed to put a bit more character into the engine - previously it'd been really seriously neutered to keep it learner-friendly, it was easily the biggest disappointment of my biking life - and I've owned a Laverda.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Getting an automatic transmission on a bike would basically make me give up on riding.

This is a preconceived notion which won't survive a few test rides. It used to be that cool cars had to be manual because the automatics where useless slushboxes, then suddenly (after a decade of Top Gear complaining about useless flappy paddle gearboxes) dual clutch gearboxes could out-shift and out-launch anything else. The same development has caught up to bikes. I've tried Hondas dual clutch and Yamahas clutchless, both are excellent.

On the Honda, it feels like a manual box but with someone else is doing the clutching and shifting. Low speed handling takes about 45 seconds in a parking lot to get used to. It's never slushy, the eco/sport modes do what they say and you can button shift manually if you want to - although you quickly realize there is no point because the bike shifts when you want to anyway.

Yamaha has an autoclutch, but is manual shifted. So you do the shifting but it feels like someone else is doing the clutching. At low speed it behaves pretty much like the Honda. At speed you either press up and down on the pedal or move a lever on the left handlebar with your thumb or index finger (the lever has two arms). I found I preferred pushing and pulling with my index finger. Shifts as fast as a car DSG, rev matches perfectly on downshifts, great to use.

Then there's the aforementioned Zero, which you don't shift but it shifts you with futuristic zoom. Very well worth a test ride. I think of it like the Tesla Roadster. It's for EV enthusiasts at the moment, I hope the company lives long enough to release their Model S-equivalent.

Perhaps there are more good autoboxes, I can't think of any but scooter slushboxes at the moment. They are obviously useless.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

loving around with templates for fun stuff to put on my all black boring helmet,laser printer vinylpaper.

On each side, mirrored forwards for maximum prancing:

Middle back:

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Woah woah who approved the use of 'bieks'???

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Gimme other spellings or non black armpits if you find em. Vector if possible, 1 sheet of paper is 5$

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PaintVagrant posted:

Are you even seeing those compound curves? There's no way to not make a hash of it.

If it doesn't explode over summer then there's a good chance I'll end up running it into the ground rather than trying to sell it on and get something else in the next year; I'll see what needs replacing when but if I do end up keeping it long term I could see shelling a couple hundred or so on a respray, if I can find a place within driving distance.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Getting hardcore buyers remorse on my chosen zzr. The bike is great, but pearl burnish beige is the worst loving colour under the sun. Everybody else's bike is cooler than mine :(

Making this worse is the fact that later model years manage to incorporate the colour in a visually interesting way by juxtaposing it with gloss black:

Own it.

Seriously, unusual or ugly colours on older bikes are simply a product of their time and make them interesting and different from all the universal black bikes out there.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really want an older purple fzr600 like this one. Really any :krad: 90's sport bike would be dope as hell, especially a purple one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Took a trip today. (can we embed maps? I have no idea how, if so)

Absolutely gorgeous twisties, but for whatever reason there are exactly zero good photos online (everyone seems to be taking their pictures when it's overcast) that show them off. God only knows why but my camera is compressing the poo poo out of (or rather, in to :sbahj:) all the video it captures lately, so what should be 1080p is a load of hot artifacted garbage. I'm trying to stitch them together and run them through hyperlapse anyway, because it's still enough to show off the curves and I'd really like you to see them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dietcokefiend posted:

Googled it and those look pretty interesting. I see some comments though that the clutch pull after conversion is much harder than normal. How long do those things last?

It is MUCH heavier if you're using the EXP 3.0. MUCH MUCH heavier. With that said, you literally never need to pull it in. Not to start, not to stop, not to change gears, nothing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Top 10 Hipster Motorcycles
For those of you who hate clicking through to each page:
#10- Grandpa's Old Wing
#9- Old Mopeds
#8- Ural
#7- Motorized Bicycles
#6- Royal Enfield
#5- Triumph Bonneville
#4- Honda Ruckus
#3- Vintage Vespas
#2- H-D Sportster 72
#1- Any 70's era CB
Bonus: BMW R series

Living in Portland and having lived in Seattle, I'd have to call this list fairly accurate. Who didn't see the CB being #1?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, sure, owning one of the motorcycles with the highest sales figures in American history makes you a hipster

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Higher sales figures == more authentic.

e: "grandpa's old wing". Shows a picture of a GL1800.
:what:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HotCanadianChick posted:

Higher sales figures == more authentic.

e: "grandpa's old wing". Shows a picture of a GL1800.
:what:

You go for the ones with no reverse gear or A/C. That makes it hipster.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
But I really want an Aspencade :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

In a local set of twisty roads (there arent many around here, but I found some!) I was entering a slow corner, maybe 30mph. As my line took me to the apex, my front wheel hit something HARD. Not sure if it was a large rock that I didnt see, or some sort of crack in the pavement. The bars jerked in my hands, maybe about an inch of travel, but the bike went where it was pointed and it was a non-event. Other than the event in my pants :stare:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Great Success.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

In a local set of twisty roads (there arent many around here, but I found some!) I was entering a slow corner, maybe 30mph. As my line took me to the apex, my front wheel hit something HARD. Not sure if it was a large rock that I didnt see, or some sort of crack in the pavement. The bars jerked in my hands, maybe about an inch of travel, but the bike went where it was pointed and it was a non-event. Other than the event in my pants :stare:

I've had the same thing happen last night in the pouring rain. It was a tight unlit offramp, with a long deep pothole in the middle. Luckily I was doing 20mph and everything worked out. But gently caress, what a scare

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't fight the bike and you'll be fine. From what I've experienced, if you've got time to process then you're fine unless something weird happens - when you are tumbling feet over head before you know what's up... well.
You can generally save a front push by getting on the throttle and standing the bike up a little. Best learned on a dirtybike. Don't let off the gas or stiffen up on the bars.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 30, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I might have incrementally reduced throttle but I didn't chop it or make any drastic inputs, thankfully. Good learning experience for sure.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly, at 30mph on a Ninja 300, even chopping the throttle in a turn or giving a sudden jerk on the bars isn't super likely to cause an actual crash. You'll get a nasty lurch or wobble, and certainly it's a situation to avoid, but it's not a guaranteed accident. That's precisely why you start out on a bike like a Ninja 300. Try the same thing for the first time on a supersport at 60mph and you're gonna have a bad day.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly, at 30mph on a Ninja 300, even chopping the throttle in a turn or giving a sudden jerk on the bars isn't super likely to cause an actual crash. You'll get a nasty lurch or wobble, and certainly it's a situation to avoid, but it's not a guaranteed accident. That's precisely why you start out on a bike like a Ninja 300. Try the same thing for the first time on a supersport at 60mph and you're gonna have a bad day.

I am sure that is true. I am happy my instincts werent to do something drastic though, that means I am learning correctly I guess. I had another situation the other day where a truck suddenly entered my line of sight (potentially pulling out in front of me) and before I even really registered seeing it, I had fully rolled off the throttle and had two fingers on the front brake. My subconscious seems to be on the ball while I ride, thankfully.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That's good, but if you've had a situation where you've had to rely on reflexes rather than a plan, you should think about whether there was anything you could have done to avoid having to rely on reflex responses in the first place (I've never had a situation where I couldn't have done more to avoid having to rely on my reflexes to get me out of, or keep me out of trouble).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My fingernail finally fell off, and I went for a ride for the first time in weeks now that I can put a glove on. Riding is good and fun people should do it. That is all.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I want to be in a medically induced coma until the shop calls to tell me my bike is ready to ride again.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Put in a decent 600 mile ride this weekend on the Triumph sprint. I think the bike is growing on me even though the more aggressive position isn't the best(I'm still not in the habit of using knees/back). I still need to take it on a more spirited ride, and trying to accomplish that on memorial day weekend is an exercise in frustration.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

That's good, but if you've had a situation where you've had to rely on reflexes rather than a plan, you should think about whether there was anything you could have done to avoid having to rely on reflex responses in the first place (I've never had a situation where I couldn't have done more to avoid having to rely on my reflexes to get me out of, or keep me out of trouble).

Exactly! To borrow a phrase from aviation, superior riders use their superior judgement to stay out of situations that requires their superior skill.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

Schroeder91 posted:

I want to be in a medically induced coma until the shop calls to tell me my bike is ready to ride again.

Me too. New tank on the way from honda due here in a month :emo:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pope Mobile posted:

#10- Grandpa's Old Wing
#1- Any 70's era CB
Living in Portland and having lived in Seattle, I'd have to call this list fairly accurate. Who didn't see the CB being #1?

gently caress.

Bonus points if you can find the most hipster item in the picture.

Whatever, you do... don't click the link in my title.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress.

Kamikaze bubble helmet, gotta be.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress.

Why have you photoshopped out all the angle grinder sparks?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Pope Mobile posted:

#10- Grandpa's Old Wing
#9- Old Mopeds
#8- Ural
#7- Motorized Bicycles
#6- Royal Enfield
#5- Triumph Bonneville
#4- Honda Ruckus
#3- Vintage Vespas
#2- H-D Sportster 72
#1- Any 70's era CB
Bonus: BMW R series

Minneapolis Hipster scene checking in. Can confirm this is accurate.

I own number 5. In my defense, it has not been subjected to a half hearted cafe job. Although I would like to lower the headlight and bring in the turn signals just a pinch.....

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No vintage enduros on there, I'm safe for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

No vintage enduros on there, I'm safe for now.

Isn't turning everything into a scrambler the next thing? I think your time is limited.