Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Same reason why people buy fancy toilets?

Gotta protect expensive poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I took my safety class this weekend. This motorcycle thing is so much drat fun. However, when it came time for my exam I got a case of nerves and hosed up in tiny ways basically the entire time. I didn't brake hard enough, got all hesitant through a low speed turn, etc. Things I'd been doing all day just fine... ugh. I got 20 points and the pass cutoff is 18. I get to go back & retest but drat is my ego bruised. Do many people fail the first time? So annoyed with myself.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nerves are normal. People crash mid day and walk off the course without saying anything, don't worry about it and go try again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fender posted:

Well, I took my safety class this weekend. This motorcycle thing is so much drat fun. However, when it came time for my exam I got a case of nerves and hosed up in tiny ways basically the entire time. I didn't brake hard enough, got all hesitant through a low speed turn, etc. Things I'd been doing all day just fine... ugh. I got 20 points and the pass cutoff is 18. I get to go back & retest but drat is my ego bruised. Do many people fail the first time? So annoyed with myself.

It happens. Don't get too discouraged, it sounds like you're just getting into your own head. None of it necessarily means that riding isn't for you. Just take your time and stay calm.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fender posted:

Nah, I was a bag of nerves on my test. You would have thought it was an important final exam or something. You'll do better next time, and then have more time to practice than you know what to do with when you finally get a bike. Just get a small/light bike for your first bike, as it will teach you lots of those little skills in a fun and safe way.

VVVV This. The CRF230's we had were gold for taking the tests. I'd probably have my hands full on the ninja doing the box, but the crf was no problem.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 27, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
What kind of bike did you ride at the BRC? The first time I took it, 7 years ago, I was on a terrible 250cc cruiser. If there is a little dual-sport there try and ride it instead. They're often more suited to a lot of the maneuvers you're doing, and it might help you feel more comfortable.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

Chichevache posted:

What kind of bike did you ride at the BRC? The first time I took it, 7 years ago, I was on a terrible 250cc cruiser. If there is a little dual-sport there try and ride it instead. They're often more suited to a lot of the maneuvers you're doing, and it might help you feel more comfortable.

I think it was a TW200-ish thing. Couldn't quite tell. It was fine bike; but I don't think I'd want to own one.

I'll for sure be giving them a call to reschedule a test tomorrow. Nothing I did wrong can't be easily fixed. I should be able to nail it the 2nd time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

People crash mid day and walk off the course without saying anything,
This happened in my class. Also a lady failed either the written or the ride test and was crying quite a bit after. You can build it up to be a huge thing in your mind, but remember it's not that big a deal. You can take the class or just a DMV test again at some point. It's just a mode of transportation, it's not your citizenship being revoked or anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My bike broke down halfway through my basic skills test and I had to complete the test on a GN125 which is still, to this day, the worst bike I've ever ridden. I had like a month's worth of practice experience and I still knew this.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've dropped every bike I've ever owned (except for the current one, but give it time!) and also the learner bike when I went and took the first license test. I didn't drop it during the test, just during the practice exercises, and my riding experience at that point could be measured in minutes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Motorcycle-Crash-Closes-Lanes-of-I-5-SR-54--384399321.html

Apparent thieves on stolen bike crash a 250 (flew off overpass) supposedly got to 100 mph, somehow

None of the other articles I quickly googled mention the bit about the bike being stolen

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How do you know it was a 250...?

Also one of the links is to CHILD KILLED BY FALLING FRIDGE.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
100mph with 2-up on a 250 going up a ramp over a freeway? That's not gonna happen.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Fender posted:

Just make sure you're understanding the main take aways of your failings. Acing it is probably worse since I got a perfect score on my MSF BRC and then promptly crashed my brand new bike twice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

A MIRACLE posted:

I've been going out of my life way to ride twisty roads lately instead of just commuting and stuff.

Going downhill on a tight, twisty canyon is freaking scary. Talking about Balcom canyon road and the 150 in Ventura county if anyone is familiar.

Fucken love it. The riding highlight of the whole trip to Anchorage and back was probably descending the Fraser Canyon in BC from Cache Creek down to Hope. Like a 2 hour long 80MPH roller coaster.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

clutchpuck posted:

Fucken love it. The riding highlight of the whole trip to Anchorage and back was probably descending the Fraser Canyon in BC from Cache Creek down to Hope. Like a 2 hour long 80MPH roller coaster.

The ones near my home are more like 20mph turns. I'm not getting a knee down or anything though, not even close. Mostly just trying to ride smoothly and pick good lines

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum

Razzled posted:

Just make sure you're understanding the main take aways of your failings. Acing it is probably worse since I got a perfect score on my MSF BRC and then promptly crashed my brand new bike twice.

It'll be pretty easy to fix what I screwed up. We don't even have to do that figure-8 box thing in Oregon.

First test was the weave. I did fine at that. Head up, massaged the clutch, didn't hit any cones.
Second was the hard stop. I both went a little too fast and didn't pull on the brakes hard enough. I pulled until I got a bite and then slowed on the pressure because hey, I was gonna stop well within the boundaries. Next time pull more and keep pulling.
Third test was slowing before entering a curve, and then straightening out and stopping at the end. I was in front of the line & couldn't see the final cone. I blew right past it. The other couple of people at the front of the line made the same mistake. Easily fixed.
Fourth test was the slow 90 degree turn in a small space. Should have been easy, but I was still thinking about blowing the previous test. And I'd been in 2nd gear most of the day for these, but this time I left it in 1st. The throttle got a little squirrelly in 1st, I lost confidence, and hit a cone. Then looked down at the cone I'd hit so I got docked for not looking through the turn.

I'm already rescheduled to go back out in 3 weeks to retest. I'm gonna pass this fucker this time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Collection get. The 2007 Ulysses I've been storing for a friend is becoming mine. It has a Drummer can so it's pretty loud. It needs a new engine and fork seals.

Might be a good opportunity to pick up a XB9 engine and do the 1050 kit, put a fairing on it, and have a less-pretentious sport tourer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When you say put a fairing on it, do you mean an XB9/12 fairing or something else entirely? I'm having a hard time picturing what that would look like, the same way you're meant to be unable to stare directly at lovecraftian horrors.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah there are a few fairing options for XB9Rs

I have in mind a faired Firebolt front-end w/ lower handlebar, lightning long (XB12SS) suspension, replace the Uly 1" drop pegs with standard standard pegs, keep the XB12X sub frame and luggage. E: and cool colored wheels. The beige "titanium" color on the Uly's wheels is gross.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 27, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah there are a few fairing options for XB9Rs

I have in mind a faired Firebolt front-end w/ lower handlebar, lightning long (XB12SS) suspension, replace the Uly 1" drop pegs with standard standard pegs, keep the XB12X sub frame and luggage. E: and cool colored wheels. The beige "titanium" color on the Uly's wheels is gross.

That actually looks good faired, which is something I never say.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

Agreed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Well yeah because in this case a fairing is the lesser evil by far.

clutchpuck posted:

The beige "titanium" color on the Uly's wheels is gross.

The deckchairs on this titanic are utterly tasteless.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

Collection get. The 2007 Ulysses I've been storing for a friend is becoming mine. It has a Drummer can so it's pretty loud. It needs a new engine and fork seals.

Might be a good opportunity to pick up a XB9 engine and do the 1050 kit, put a fairing on it, and have a less-pretentious sport tourer.

Is there a Ulysses forum on which you're That Guy?

Serious question.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No, the rabbit hole goes way deeper.

I keep mine on the road thanks to guys like that though.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Some photos from Alaska 2016:

Denali Highway:

Said highway was more than a match for the KTM 990's fork seals:

For the week the two of us riders split, my wife and I were in Denali National Park. Savage River hike:

Rode through the tunnel to spend a night in Whittier:

After the week apart the KTM got fixed by a shop in Anchorage and we took Top of the World Highway, including the detour to Eagle, AK:

Outside Radium Hot Springs:

Fun trip and not a single spark plug came loose.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Didn't see many KTMs up there. Maybe like 1 in 100. It was all Harleys and Beemers. Were you around during the HOG Rally? Lots of dudes who can't ride were out.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I never want to live in Alaska again, but I'd love to spend a summer riding up there. Beautiful state but gently caress snow

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

Didn't see many KTMs up there. Maybe like 1 in 100. It was all Harleys and Beemers. Were you around during the HOG Rally? Lots of dudes who can't ride were out.

Yeah, we were in Anchorage June 10th and June 16th, rally wasn't far off. Tons of BMWs for sure, including the father/son we talked to near Tok where the son said his F800GS was too small for touring, hence him being on a 1200GS. Funny to hear as I'm gassing up my 599.

Tons of dual sport bikes on Top of the World. Dust to Dawson ended the day before so you'd see a dozen bikes come the other way, then a 15 minute gap and another batch of bikes. The ferry at Dawson City clumped them up I guess.

Schroeder91 posted:

I never want to live in Alaska again, but I'd love to spend a summer riding up there. Beautiful state but gently caress snow

Agreed. Snow is something you should drive to, not have on your house!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Skier posted:

Alaska 2016:

God drat dude. living the dream.

Having lived in AK for a few years, I'd totally kill to ride back.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Fender posted:

It'll be pretty easy to fix what I screwed up. We don't even have to do that figure-8 box thing in Oregon.

First test was the weave. I did fine at that. Head up, massaged the clutch, didn't hit any cones.
Second was the hard stop. I both went a little too fast and didn't pull on the brakes hard enough. I pulled until I got a bite and then slowed on the pressure because hey, I was gonna stop well within the boundaries. Next time pull more and keep pulling.
Third test was slowing before entering a curve, and then straightening out and stopping at the end. I was in front of the line & couldn't see the final cone. I blew right past it. The other couple of people at the front of the line made the same mistake. Easily fixed.
Fourth test was the slow 90 degree turn in a small space. Should have been easy, but I was still thinking about blowing the previous test. And I'd been in 2nd gear most of the day for these, but this time I left it in 1st. The throttle got a little squirrelly in 1st, I lost confidence, and hit a cone. Then looked down at the cone I'd hit so I got docked for not looking through the turn.

I'm already rescheduled to go back out in 3 weeks to retest. I'm gonna pass this fucker this time.

it's OK, i failed the first time (psychological) and i turned out ok. only had 1 high speed crash

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Made a quick'n'lovely photoshop of the Sprint to see what it looks like in :britain: green

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did they ever come out in that colour from factory? If not that's a massive missed opportunity, it really does make it look ultra-british.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
All Triumphs should have a forest green option.

A black and tan would look cool too.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Fender posted:

I also did my safety course this weekend. You shouldn't worry too much about how the exam went. I had never been on a bike in my life prior to the class, and there just wasn't enough riding time in our 12 person group to get to the point where you can ride in front of someone with a clipboard and not be nervous. Everyone was fretting during the 20 minute break they give you between the last practice and the exam. It was pretty funny just sitting there dwelling on it.

I was doing nice figure 8's in the box all day long on a Rebel, and of course when I had to a single box turn during the exam I went wide enough for my front tire to touch the line. A lot of my other test stages felt sloppier than they had most of the day, and easily could gotten me some more points had they been just a little bit sloppier. I think on the final straight I did it in .98 when the cutoff was to be under 1.00.

We had 4 bikes hit the pavement from 4 different students. two of them were legit wipeouts at 10 mph. Not everyone passed, but everyone who messed up something on the exam had been doing things well at some point during the day, so it would point to nerves more than anything else. People are generally pretty fatigued by the end of day 2. You'll be relatively fresh for your retest and that makes a huge difference.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chichevache posted:

All Triumphs should have a forest green option.

A black and tan would look cool too.

:guinness:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Did they ever come out in that colour from factory? If not that's a massive missed opportunity, it really does make it look ultra-british.

The earlier sprints came in green, but as far as I can tell they never made the ST 1050s in that color scheme. I did the Photoshop because I couldn't find a single st in green through an image search.

Black with gold rims would look nice, but then again almost everything does.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How'd you do it? There's a couple colours I'd like to test on mine but I can't think of a way to do it without obliterating the reflections/contours.

Chichevache posted:

All bikes should have a forest green option.

It is an excellent and sadly underused colour.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

Made a quick'n'lovely photoshop of the Sprint to see what it looks like in :britain: green

Is the sprint any good? They sell for peanuts here for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

British Racing Green more like Best Racing Green.

Seriously, everything looks good in BRG