Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

Was I wrong? I mean ~MY DRZ~ was literally some goon's fancy upgraded trackbike (not sure he ever tracked it, I can't remember). Then I came along and put another 20kmi on it. At least -half- of which was at literal redline.

Still runs :iiam:

:shrug: That's cool. I don't know what your point is. Your bike runs. Do you want a medal?

Minkee posted:

His bike isn't the only thing not running on all of its cylinders.

this deserves a :thurman:. Way to show them how it's done.

Vvvv
Thank God you're here to translate.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
well you see he's saying you're a poo poo bike owner and a worse poster

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
What does any of this have to do with a discussion on whether or not 600cc supersports have a real place in modern markets? :psyduck:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Did you try leaving it on the side of the highway for a while? I hear that makes them turn into a new bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

Did you try leaving it on the side of the highway for a while? I hear that makes them turn into a new bike.

I don't have a 600. Maybe Razzled's dad can buy me one so I can give it a shot.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

I don't have a 600. Maybe Razzled's dad can buy me one so I can give it a shot.

Does a ZRX running on half its cylinders count? Those are 1200s right?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Somewhere I missed the "supersport" in there original discussion. Whatever.
Regardless of whether you like them or not, 600s are still very popular and, from a sales standpoint, have a place in the market.
Nakeds and hipster bullshit bikes are currently "in", but there are still a ton of people who want that gixxxxxrrrr/ninja/cbr 600. It doesn't matte how practical or comfortable the loving things are.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Also in some markets, where insurance is stupid, expensive and charges based on displacement, 600s represent significant cost of ownership savings.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Linedance posted:

Also in some markets, where insurance is stupid, expensive and charges based on displacement, 600s represent significant cost of ownership savings.

Now that's a point in their favor I had forgotten. Out here displacement isn't as much of a factor for insurance, so it totally slipped my mind that some places have those tiers.

Pope Mobile posted:

Regardless of whether you like them or not, 600s are still very popular and, from a sales standpoint, have a place in the market.

Alright. Honda seems to disagree with you, but I guess we can only wait and see how it all plays out. The market is fickle and the future can hold anything. Whose to say there will even be a Europe next year?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

Somewhere I missed the "supersport" in there original discussion. Whatever.
Nakeds and hipster bullshit bikes are currently "in", but there are still a ton of people who want that gixxxxxrrrr/ninja/cbr 600. It doesn't matte how practical or comfortable the loving things are.

I read the article as the emissions trouble was the the final straw for a bike that had trouble in the market. So Honda should take the hint and get to work on developing proper electric bikes.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PaintVagrant posted:

I am ready to welcome our 400cc 300 pound dry weight turbo supercharged supersport overlords

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Carth Dookie posted:

Your endless quest for the thrill of greater acceleration is doomed to despair. You become accustomed to it after a while, no matter the bike. Sorry to break it to you PaintVagrant.

*wobbles a liter bike around under 5k rpm with poo poo in his pants*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

*wobbles a liter bike around under 5k rpm with poo poo in his pants*

Now you're making fun of me too, PV? :smith:

Edit
:ssh:I'm playin

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 30, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Now you're making fun of me too, PV? :smith:

Lol no, I'm making fun of my apparent propensity for riding bikes that are outside of my skill level :wink:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Be careful with that bike. It's officially endangered now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Be careful with that bike. It's officially endangered now.

Maybe they are going to put out a forced induction f5i with a banana seat!

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
but some fat goon who cant afford a second pair of jeans will insist how its uncomfy and impractical anyway

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Jesus Christ what the gently caress is going on in here?
I turn my back for 2 seconds and you kids are already going at it?

gently caress off.

600 supersports are awesome and cool.
Litrebikes are awesomer and cooler, and bigger, but I don't want a litrebike, I want something smaller, and lighter, and just a little bit slower.

...actually, no. gently caress that. I want an RSV4. Tuono V4 1100.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress off.

Litrebikes are awesomer and cooler, and bigger, but I don't want a litrebike, I want something smaller, and lighter, and just a little bit slower.

v4 Factory is my next dream biek

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm away on holiday at the moment and holy poo poo Switzerland is some sort of biker nirvana, twisty roads as far as the eye can see

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

abigserve posted:

I'm away on holiday at the moment and holy poo poo Switzerland is some sort of biker nirvana, twisty roads as far as the eye can see

Except when you ride through your neutral indicator never turns off.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I got done for speeding in a rental car so I see your point

Im pretty sure they got me when I sped up to quickly overtake a bicyclist, of which there are a lot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Except when you ride through your neutral indicator never turns off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress off.

Tell us again the story of how awesome super sport 600s are and much you're gonna buy a literbike standard totally a super sport 600.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only reason to own a supersport motorcycle is to take it to the track, so if there's no competitive value in the class, there's no reason for it to exist.

Come at me.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not for honda anyway.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Honda, banana seats. You know it's the key.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I wanna throw 21/18 yz wheels under a r1 and raise the bars. Good use for a liter imo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe they finally realized their 600 sucks and they can't build something to compete with the R6 that is 10 years old at this point :v:

Joking, but still.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/06/30/news/nation/grizzly-kills-biker-in-7th-fatal-attack-since-2010-in-the-northern-rockies/

Stories like this are way too real after wobbling through a road construction zone behind a pilot car with a grizzly snacking by the shoulder.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Went with my dad to get him some boots and gloves. Nearest shop was a local Ducati / Triumph / Zero joint. He got fitted for some stuff while I sat on Monsters. Salesman tried pointing me at a Hypermotard 939 but - and I don't know how to phrase this with tact - what are those even really for? Had some slick stuff on it. Folding mirrors.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wheelies and fun, mostly

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Revvik posted:

Went with my dad to get him some boots and gloves. Nearest shop was a local Ducati / Triumph / Zero joint. He got fitted for some stuff while I sat on Monsters. Salesman tried pointing me at a Hypermotard 939 but - and I don't know how to phrase this with tact - what are those even really for? Had some slick stuff on it. Folding mirrors.

Probably the same things I use my Ulysses for. I could put some miles on a hyperstrada.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Most of my knowledge of sumos come from hearing about people going "lol roads?" or launching them through the woods and I don't doubt that it can do all that but $13k is a lot to pay for something to abuse. I'm probably overthinking it and coming across a little crass though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The marketing schtick is that you're so good that you won't ever drop it and can do all those sick wheelies/stoppies/slides just like the journos do. All the fauxtards have amazing performance but nobody except the very wealthy can realistically use them as intended because they tend to break on impact. I think of them as what you'd get if you designed a sportsbike for the road instead of the track, with all the pot holes and traffic and random bits of gravel that implies.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
But the daily feeling of relief when "yes! It actually started this morning!" Is priceless.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
There's a sliding scale of Supermoto-ness

It starts with the Xr100 and ends at the CR500

the farther to the right you go, the farther away trails and offroad gets. atleast imo, i wouldn't take no hypermotard out into the poo poo

offroad sweet spot for sumos probably ends around the 690s

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Razzled posted:

There's a sliding scale of Supermoto-ness

It starts with the Xr100 and ends at the CR500

the farther to the right you go, the farther away trails and offroad gets. atleast imo, i wouldn't take no hypermotard out into the poo poo

offroad sweet spot for sumos probably ends around the 690s

Supemotos were never supposed to be for dirt, they were dirt bikes converted for street use. Hence the small diameter alloy wheels, sticky sport/race rubber, and street suspension. They were for racing in rough parking lot courses and karting tracks. It turned out that the formula worked rather well for the real world of lovely, but paved roads.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Slavvy posted:

II think of them as what you'd get if you designed a sportsbike for the road instead of the track, with all the pot holes and traffic and random bits of gravel that implies.

I just want a sumo with a smooth engine that doesn't make me want to kill myself after 10 minutes on the interstate or make my rear end fall off after a couple hours on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I just want a sumo with a smooth engine that doesn't make me want to kill myself after 10 minutes on the interstate or make my rear end fall off after a couple hours on it.

Problem is sumo = light. Smooth engine = not a single cylinder = not light.