Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

With low compression on one cylinder, hell yes. There's bound to be more stuff wrong with it as well. Take your time and shop around, if you are considering FZ-07s, you can at least afford a non-abused ZRX. It's not that massive of a bike either, dimension-wise I mean. (An FZ-07 is smaller still) At 6'2" and 210, you'll do well to test sit some dual sport, ADV type bikes.

V-Strom 650 ABS http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/5682210308.html

Excellent commuter, huge aftermarket and online scene, nice amount of power, able to do back roads. Older models lack ABS.

BMW F800GS http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5678682303.html

Similar adjectives to the V-Strom but more power, taller, more :10bux: ABS stock apart from where the buyer asked for ABS delete like a moron.

Versys 650 http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/5716738671.html

Cheap bike, fun motor, more street oriented than the other two, older models cheaper still but lack ABS.

A Good Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Razzled posted:

are you seriously saying an rsv4 is easier to ride than a 90s 750

Yes. I've turned mature, adult riders loose on the 1290 SuperDuke with less than 3k miles of experience. Oh, and she was a 110 pound woman, her daily rider was a xb9 (settle down, Clutchpuck!)

Traction control, abs, street or rain mode, the bike won't really wheelie, throttle response is smooth and easy, modern rubber with plenty of grip even when cold, etc.

This is why everyone is giving you poo poo about not knowing what the hell you're talking about.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

loving lol at you of all people pulling the "Grr I'm a grizzled veteran bow before me n00b" poo poo.

Space Whale, you're cool, people are just fooling around. A Tuono probably isn't the *best* idea, but given how paranoid you are I think you'll be fine with a well-tempered big bike like a ZRX, just be careful with your throttle hand. I'd still suggest you get a few more miles under your belt before moving up, though.

Spiffness posted:

All motorcyclists are terrible and everyone's choices are wrong unless you do as I do but don't do as I do because wheelies are dangerous as poo poo son

stop trying to get him to buy not-a-dirtbike.

Get a wr250r or a drz or a CRF250 or maybe a dr650 if you do a lot of highway commuting and 1. you will have so much fun, 2. you will get to explore cool places in your state, 3. you will end up getting a lot better at riding by learning what it feels like to lose traction and how to fix it when you do.

It's like if he lived in ibiza and everyone was like "nah, maybe just try a nice book and hang out at the supermarket if you want to meet girls."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Mailbox is giving good advice. I went up to an FZ-09 after like 4 years on the 250 and the Yamaha is loving bananas. It is fun as hell, but drat. I thought i had pretty decent throttle control after getting used to the Ninjette and getting smooth on it. I did not know poo poo about throttle control. Plus I can stop the FZ with my pinky if I want to. Passing cars on the highway is an exercise in restraint. I go over 105 accidentally if the highway is clear. Even going 80 in 5th it's still a bad idea to whack open the throttle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Dutymode posted:

Razzled is pretty judgemental, for a guy with a kanji tattoo from an internet inside joke.

lol what

Pics please, or at least an explanation

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

The only ethical newbie crash is my newbie crash.

Like seriously, razzled, I know it feels great to saddle up the high horse and yell at someone who's "not doing it right", but shut up, you're at the actual most dangerous part of your riding career right now, because you know enough to twist the throttle but don't have the safety margin from constantly operating at newb speed.

Space Whale, there's no solid right answer here. Cheap bikes are always tempting, and I know a number of folks who did just fine starting on gixxer thous, but most of them were adults with some impulse control and previous experience riding dirt bikes. The way I see it is like so:
Experience (everyone acquires this at a different rate), maturity with regards to when and where you go fast, and the ability to manipulate the controls properly and consistently (no sawing the throttle over bumps, ingrained habits of smooth braking, etc)

If you have all 3, you're likely safer than most car drivers out there. If you have 2 of 3, you're probably ok on a big bike (or in the case of judgement, you'd get yourself into stupid regardless of bike, so whatever). If you have 1 of 3, you definitely shouldn't buy a big bike.

Razzled thinks he has all 3, but he's probably closer to 1.5. That's why he's at the very dangerous part of riding, where he's most likely to have a fatal accident. Because unlike the newb who crashes into a mailbox at 10mph, the sort of crashes you get into at 2-3 years in are fast and in dangerous places. The thing about street riding is you should never need to use your awesome riding skills to make it home safely, if you come back from rides dripping with adrenaline from all your close calls, you're doing it wrong.

actually i do understand that i'm somewhere in the middle and i'm fully aware of where i'm at is the highest chance for the next big bad thing to happen. i'm constantly learning new things and finding new baselines to improve on. it's because i've done everything i need to do to set a solid foundation that i know these things, something the latest batch of posters have yet to figure out how to do. besides doing wheelies on the drz i am actually a pretty leisurely paced and conservative rider with plenty of things to work on

i'm being extra hard on him because i also have the extra knowledge of all the stupid poo poo he's said he's done in IRC as well. so for him to go and act like he's ready to get a big bike is especially lol

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm hyper vigilant for bad technique and felt like sharing would get good feedback.

For instance I know my slipper clutch and low power is probably giving me bad down shift habits. I wasn't applying gradual throttle in corners which made the rear light, so I'm working on that.

I still have to concentrate on "lean more you idiot never brake" in sweepers but don't touch the brakes at least. If i kiss the mirror or that + butt scoot it feels waaayyyyyy easier. No, my knee stays up. I actually hate cornering without leaning in, is that a bad habit?

I'm also over 30, got over my top speed fetish with my stupid money pit car already, and regularly kart to get the twisties out of my system.

But yes I still want to do wheelies sometime. :coolbutt:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You being broadly a dick to him on the internet won't change his behavior, and the fact that you have no platform to stand on as you judge him is only part of the reason.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
dirt riding lets you explore traction limits as well as the country side. Off the road, there is no law (there is but in very limited quantities) so you can have a lot more fun with that freedom

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

You being broadly a dick to him on the internet won't change his behavior, and the fact that you have no platform to stand on as you judge him is only part of the reason.

i have plenty of platform to stand on? i'd argue that of the newer riders my experience has been one of the most improved. there's no situation he'll encounter in his learning stage that i haven't already encountered 2x as bad or as hard. i have plenty of useful things to say about learning to ride bikes when you are awful at it from the onset

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whale, you're doing fine. Just continue focusing on basics, get some solid experience, do some track schools, and remember that you can't start learning how to ride a motorcycle until every control on the bike is boring to operate.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

lol what

Pics please, or at least an explanation

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663422&userid=172194#post453370763

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Space Whale posted:

I'm also over 30, got over my top speed fetish with my stupid money pit car already, and regularly kart to get the twisties out of my system.

drat, that sounds like it sucks, old man.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Yes. I've turned mature, adult riders loose on the 1290 SuperDuke with less than 3k miles of experience. Oh, and she was a 110 pound woman, her daily rider was a xb9 (settle down, Clutchpuck!)

Traction control, abs, street or rain mode, the bike won't really wheelie, throttle response is smooth and easy, modern rubber with plenty of grip even when cold, etc.

This is why everyone is giving you poo poo about not knowing what the hell you're talking about.

I don't disagree but the bikes being talked about here don't have any kind of electronic aids; a V2 tuono is a hell of a lot vicious than a 1290SD IMO. A ZRX is a loving cast iron steam locomotive and decidedly not good second bike material (shut up chiche).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Razzled posted:

i have plenty of platform to stand on? i'd argue that of the newer riders my experience has been one of the most improved. there's no situation he'll encounter in his learning stage that i haven't already encountered 2x as bad or as hard. i have plenty of useful things to say about learning to ride bikes when you are awful at it from the onset

This isn't about your Hero's Journey, and his problems aren't your problems.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Z3n posted:

Whale, you're doing fine. Just continue focusing on basics, get some solid experience, do some track schools, and remember that you can't start learning how to ride a motorcycle until every control on the bike is boring to operate.

Well, the throttle is.

Brakes I haven't tried stoppies yet but I panic stop fine and the rear suspension unloads fully, clunking when I let off.

I don't drag pegs but I also move myself around because I don't want to.

What's next besides the track or mountain fun?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

drat, that sounds like it sucks, old man.

I'm told it'll come back on a "real bike" by certain people

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That ZRX is poo poo, skip it. Riding season is almost over, stick with the ninjette and look for the better deals during fall and winter. Off-road is awesome, get a dual sport. Or get a gixxer. Who gives a gently caress. The internet is retarded and this thread sucks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

This isn't about your Hero's Journey, and his problems aren't your problems.

you're the one who brought it up!

if i turn the vitriol off all i'm sayin is that he shouldn't be thinking about buying a bigger bike until he's sure he can ride the 300 at a good level of technical skill

meanwhile people are throwing ZRX, Tuonos and Bandits at him and poo pooing me because i said a mean word loll

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Practice until you can do the things you describe without thinking about it. Not "oh, I got that panic stop really right", but "I'm at panic stop levels of braking, checking my mirrors to make sure I'm not going to get rear ended, I've got a coherent plan for the next thing that could happen, including releasing the brakes and immediately transitioning into a swerve". If you're not ok being pinned while simultaneously knowing how fast you're going, checking your shoulder while doing an upshift and it rev matches perfectly, the controls aren't boring yet.

This also extends to knowing exactly what the bike should be doing when you release the clutch at any rpm from 2k rpm to redline.

You should aim to understand the bike so well that the throttle could stick 50% open, and you'd be able to safely ride it home with by abusing the rev limiter, clutch, brakes, gear choice, Etc.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I rode home from my noob crash in a high gear :v:

My head is already on a swivel. I'm just trying to learn my tires without another fall.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Razzled posted:

you're the one who brought it up!

if i turn the vitriol off all i'm sayin is that he shouldn't be thinking about buying a bigger bike until he's sure he can ride the 300 at a good level of technical skill

meanwhile people are throwing ZRX, Tuonos and Bandits at him and poo pooing me because i said a mean word loll

Maybe bike choice doesn't matter as much as you think it does, because you can't imagine a world where day one doesn't involve pitching a bike into a mailbox.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Space Whale posted:

I rode home from my noob crash in a high gear :v:

My head is already on a swivel. I'm just trying to learn my tires without another fall.

If you wanna learn how a bike slides, dirt bike/supermoto is your only really option. Modern TC and ABS means you can also learn these things via watching where the aids engage, but that's not really realistic for a new rider.

Oh, and a good understand of the controls also extends to understanding the balance of when to use front vs rear and why.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 23, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

Maybe bike choice doesn't matter as much as you think it does, because you can't imagine a world where day one doesn't involve pitching a bike into a mailbox.

if that's the case then why ever bother recommending low displacement bikes for beginners? the things you're saying and the common sense standard protocols aren't aligning here

clearly i'm the outlier statistically, so in that case why not just have everyone start on R6s and fz 09s since on average everyone will be starting from a higher level?

maybe it has something to do with the fact that building up confidence, reaction and foresight on a beginner bike is the right thing to do and the easiest way to get good at riding more technically challenging bikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

By 6 months in, the bike matters far less than the rider, for the most part. A bigger/more challenging bike may slow riding progression but not everyone actually cares about riding progression. A lot of folks just wanna ride bikes and don't care about much else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

are you seriously saying an rsv4 is easier to ride than a 90s 750

Yep, absolutely. The RSV4 is probably one of the most well-behaved bikes I've ever ridden, certainly up in that kind of class. It's a loving magic carpet compared to my old Mille.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yep, absolutely. The RSV4 is probably one of the most well-behaved bikes I've ever ridden, certainly up in that kind of class. It's a loving magic carpet compared to my old Mille.

i'm gonna call you on that one and i'll report in after i try one, cause everything i've heard and read says that it's not only supremely uncomfortable but totally mental in a way that doesn't really even compare to a tuoldo even with the gabbro chip installed

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

That's actually pretty forgivable for a kanji hangul tat

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Could we all stop arguing and just agree Whale needs to buy my WR250X so I can go ahead and buy something hilariously stupid?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

i'm gonna call you on that one and i'll report in after i try one, cause everything i've heard and read says that it's not only supremely uncomfortable but totally mental in a way that doesn't really even compare to a tuoldo even with the gabbro chip installed

Make sure you ride a 90s 750 too, to compare it with.

If you can't find a 90s 750 to compare it to, ride a modern bike in 6" platform soles and wrap a beanbag around the tank so your knees are touching your elbows and so far apart that you're fairly sure you could give birth to a cow. Replace the throttle cable with some 40-year-old knicker elastic so opening the throttle is more or less a lottery, and just go ahead and replace the suspension oil with concrete. If you've got the time try and ride in a light drizzle to get an idea of how far tyre technology has advanced in twenty years too.

Like I said, the RSV4 is more comfortable and *way* more controllable than the Mille it replaced, and the Mille loving *stomped* the 750 WSB bikes it was up against on handling, power, and even comfort for that matter.

(Obviously the 9x6 destroyed it on the track because they never could get the front end right, but that's not the comparison being made here)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Space Whale, bring your Ninja up to Fort Collins and I'll take you on some dirt roads.

Keep your bike for another year. There is so much left to learn from a small, light bike, and as a bunch of people have pointed out, going back to small displacement is not uncommon. Riding it on dirt will show you a bunch of those things.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

PaintVagrant posted:

43 unread posts eh? Wonder who wants to upgrade from a 300? *moonwalks out of thread*

:yikes:

How are you digging on the F4i? I miss my four cylinder Honda. A lot

Coydog posted:

Could we all stop arguing and just agree Whale needs to buy my WR250X so I can go ahead and buy something hilariously stupid?

I realllly like this. I'm moving deeper into LA this fall and might trade the FZ for one of these. Or maybe a CRF230m if I can find one.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 23, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

i'd argue that of the newer riders my experience has been one of the most improved.*

*based entirely on anecdotes from a comedy forum specializing in Dachau jokes

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

But if he buys it, that guy with the weird frame swap idea can't.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That guy with the awesome engine swap idea canceled at the last minute because of financial issues. Of course. Because craigslist.

At least I didn't get shot in the face, which I see as a positive. Also, I get to rip around on this awesome vehicle until someone buys it, which is also a positive.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why are you selling that, again?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I want a 690 SMC. No other sane reason. It's a perfect bike, great on the highway, plenty of power, etc. I'm a fool for letting it go.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I don't disagree but the bikes being talked about here don't have any kind of electronic aids; a V2 tuono is a hell of a lot vicious than a 1290SD IMO. A ZRX is a loving cast iron steam locomotive and decidedly not good second bike material (shut up chiche).

You really think the zrx is unsuitable as a second bike? It was my second and I felt pretty comfortable (with respect, not obliviousness) on it almost immediately. Obviously now that I know space Whale is still fresh I don't recommend it for him, but overall I think a level headed rider should be fine on it. It's positively well-behaved.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

A MIRACLE posted:

:yikes:

How are you digging on the F4i? I miss my four cylinder Honda. A lot

I like it. If the bars were about 1" closer to me it would be perfect, but I'm still getting some neck fatigue and nerve pinching because of the riding position. I'm just dealing with it for now, but if it persists I might try to modify the bars or swap bikes next riding season. Old man clip on problems.

The bike runs like a top, it's very tame and useable under 8k rpm. Haven't had any real "moments" other than hitting a decreasing radius corner on an unfamiliar road at night and having to just lean into it and the bike stuck like glue. A nice reminder that I'm probably using 13% of its available grip in my standard riding haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

That guy with the awesome engine swap idea canceled at the last minute because of financial issues. Of course. Because craigslist.

At least I didn't get shot in the face, which I see as a positive. Also, I get to rip around on this awesome vehicle until someone buys it, which is also a positive.

How much are you selling it for? I don't get why that guy wouldn't just buy a cheaper WR250f or something if he needs a stator capable of running lights.