Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Air cooled Ducati Monster

The more I think about this, the more it's so perfectly true.

Walk out to the 1100, click the key on, battery's solid, thumb the starter -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1E98_snyP4&t=24s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Having a hard time coming up with an appropriate dog for an FJR. Greyhound with big-rear end hind legs wearing one of those dog backpacks?

Space Whale I rode a GS500 for about two years. Sold it, bought an 04 FJR. Got run over on that (long story), bought another FJR. Sold that, bought an FZ1.

Riding my wife's NT650 is way more fun than riding the FZ1, because as someone said earlier it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. The only thing all that extra power is really good for on the street is making it so you never really have to upshift past second until you're on the highway or riding two up which you should NOT be doing w/ 6 months under your belt anyway.

Get the smaller bike, spend the cash on a smaller pulley and tune for your CTS-V and get your torque jollies off in the car.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

Having a hard time coming up with an appropriate dog for an FJR. Greyhound with big-rear end hind legs wearing one of those dog backpacks?

Space Whale I rode a GS500 for about two years. Sold it, bought an 04 FJR. Got run over on that (long story), bought another FJR. Sold that, bought an FZ1.

Riding my wife's NT650 is way more fun than riding the FZ1, because as someone said earlier it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. The only thing all that extra power is really good for on the street is making it so you never really have to upshift past second until you're on the highway or riding two up which you should NOT be doing w/ 6 months under your belt anyway.

Get the smaller bike, spend the cash on a smaller pulley and tune for your CTS-V and get your torque jollies off in the car.

I want to sell the car so I can wear the sickest gear and have a second bike though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

This Harley at my work looks like a ticking time bomb. Both tires are beyond wear bars, front is visibly low on air, and it's dumping oil. Decent puddle from yesterday and an equal size one today, it probably pours out after he stops. The guy that rides it only has a brain bucket for gear. Middle aged dude, shorts with a t shirt tucked in. I wonder if he's just a casual rider and is oblivious to all this stuff :(

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 25, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

This Harley at my work looks like a ticking time bomb. Both tires are beyond wear bars, front is visibly low on air, and it's dumping oil. Decent puddle from yesterday and an equal size one today, it probably pours out after he stops. The guy that rides it only has a brain bucket for gear. Middle aged dude, shorts with a t shirt tucked in. I wonder if he's just a casual rider and is oblivious to all this stuff :(

hope he either has good medical coverage or a life insurance policy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

Go and talk to him about it! Worst that happens is he tells you to gently caress off and you don't have to worry about him any more. Best case you save his life.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Sagebrush posted:

Go and talk to him about it! Worst that happens is he tells you to gently caress off and you don't have to worry about him any more. Best case you save his life.

This. Alternatively, leave a nice note saying you noticed those issues and you care about ~safety~. As long as you're not being condescending then I think you're alright. Don't let a dude crash because you were afraid to say something.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
gently caress 'em. He's probably the guy that eats other peoples' lunch or microwaves fish.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Pope Mobile posted:

microwaves fish.

Death is the only suitable punishment for this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

Death is the only suitable punishment for this.

The Philippines are about to be a ghost town

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

The Philippines are about to be a ghost town

yeah but for reasons other than microwaving fish

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
UK Goons: Abba Stands are doing free P&P on any of their products this long weekend. The Superbike Stand (don't be put off the name, it's compatible with just about every bike out there) is a million times easier to use than a paddock stand and with the front lift kit lets you work on both ends of the bike at once with the suspension completely unloaded (and is cheaper than two good quality stands and a fork adapter, as well as ten times more secure).

Basically if you don't already have one then you are Dumb And Wrong and the people who know and love you the most all get together to discuss your innumerable inadequacies behind your back. This includes if you have a bike that is incompatible with an Abba stand (and goes double if you have a centre stand on your bike). Rectify this and capture the admiration of friends, family, people in positions of authority and that one special someone by buying an Abba stand today!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

UK Goons: Abba Stands are doing free P&P on any of their products this long weekend. The Superbike Stand (don't be put off the name, it's compatible with just about every bike out there) is a million times easier to use than a paddock stand and with the front lift kit lets you work on both ends of the bike at once with the suspension completely unloaded (and is cheaper than two good quality stands and a fork adapter, as well as ten times more secure).

Basically if you don't already have one then you are Dumb And Wrong and the people who know and love you the most all get together to discuss your innumerable inadequacies behind your back. This includes if you have a bike that is incompatible with an Abba stand (and goes double if you have a centre stand on your bike). Rectify this and capture the admiration of friends, family, people in positions of authority and that one special someone by buying an Abba stand today!

Listen to this man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Mainland UK only :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Sorry I missed the shitfest and for real I feel y'all but mailbox is the poo poo and sperg_zero has been spouting so much newb poo poo in IRC y'all don't understand.

Anyway that's all. Yes he could take a different approach. As sagebrush said, that style did not resonate with him. But I refute his point that it doesn't work because of that. Mailbox is a perfect example of the opposite. If you search back my posts in this thread you will find me questioning whether his family is concerned for his life, and telling him to stop riding because he's a dangerous moron.

edit: Actually i take it back, it was the crash thread

man that was good times http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=96&perpage=40#post429110813 look people on the forum were being easy on him, too

nsaP fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 27, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey there guys, need some help (sorry if this belongs in the question thread; I couldn't really decide).

What do I do if I want to buy ALL the motorcycles?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Either buy all the motorcycles or a 1290.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

Hey there guys, need some help (sorry if this belongs in the question thread; I couldn't really decide).

You buy all the motorcycle. :shrug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yes I think every answer is buy all the motorcycles.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Looks like it packs down pretty flat too, which paddock stands never do. I'm super tempted!

Got the first "live" test of my new PR4s today, riding home on twisties through a downpour with lots of standing water. Felt super planted, could barely even tell the difference from dry. Not that I was anywhere near the edge, but still, it's good rubber.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Bananana posted:

My approach: buy cheap bikes that aren't running, learn to fix them, ride them for a bit, sell them for more than I paid for them and repeat. Slowly work your way up from bikes that are a few hundred bucks to a few thousand bucks.

Then buy a 1290.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Either buy all the motorcycles or a 1290.

The 1290 is the sum of all motorcycles, especially when given the SM treatment.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

nsaP posted:

Sorry I missed the shitfest and for real I feel y'all but mailbox is the poo poo and sperg_zero has been spouting so much newb poo poo in IRC y'all don't understand.

Anyway that's all. Yes he could take a different approach. As sagebrush said, that style did not resonate with him. But I refute his point that it doesn't work because of that. Mailbox is a perfect example of the opposite. If you search back my posts in this thread you will find me questioning whether his family is concerned for his life, and telling him to stop riding because he's a dangerous moron.

edit: Actually i take it back, it was the crash thread

man that was good times http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091384&pagenumber=96&perpage=40#post429110813 look people on the forum were being easy on him, too

I sure like bikes I tell ya w'hat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

UK Goons: Abba Stands are doing free P&P on any of their products this long weekend.

I forgot to ask what shipping is normally.

e/ some fiddling with the basket suggests it's about £20. I can live with that, I'll buy one later when I can more comfortably afford it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that Abba bike lift is pretty pimp but the CA/US distributor wants $800 bucks before shipping and the adapters I'd need to fit my bike. gently caress that noise

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Z3n posted:

My approach: buy cheap bikes that aren't running, learn to fix them, ride them for a bit, sell them for more than I paid for them and repeat. Slowly work your way up from bikes that are a few hundred bucks to a few thousand bucks.

Then buy a 1290.

Psst. Hey, you.

Yeah, you.

I sent you a pm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just got back from a ride and my right shin is covered in oil.

Cool, and I just got it back from it's 12k service. Guess who I'll be calling bright and early Tuesday morning?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what's a gasket?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*opens oil filter box, tosses new gasket in toolbox, slaps cover back on assuming old gasket is cool*

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yamaha was doing a demo day at the track today. I rode and fz07 and an r3. They were all stock street bikes, no fancy tires or nuffin.

Fz07- comfiest seating position of any bike I've ridden. I was basically upright, it was fuckin awesome :swoon: it wasn't really good for the track obviously, the suspension was lovely and bouncy (pittrace has some massive washboard bumps so it's no surprise). A little wobbly and unsettled on turnins and switches, which I expected. Would definitely love one for commuting though, maybe if I stop doing twisties and sell the sv, this is the bike I'd pick for city riding.

R3: HOLY loving poo poo IT WAS A GODDAMN RIOT I FORGOT HOW FUN SMALL BIKES WERE IT WAS LIKE IT WASN'T EVEN THERE AND I HAD SUCH A BLAST RIPPING UPHILL AT REDLINE IN 5TH AND BARELY BOTHERING TO DOWNSHIFT AT ANY POINT WHILE MY TIRES GLUED THEMSELVES TO THE MOST PRECISEST OF LINES WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT OH MY GOD DUDES :syoon: :syoon: :syoon:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

M42 posted:

R3: HOLY loving poo poo IT WAS A GODDAMN RIOT OH MY GOD DUDES :syoon: :syoon: :syoon:

Ridden a Ninja 300 ever or just a 250?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yamaha > Kawasucki

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yamaha > Kawasucki>Yawnda>Suckzuki

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Space Whale posted:

Ridden a Ninja 300 ever or just a 250?

Lol, I think M42 might have just a little experience riding a Ninja 250.

Yamaha is the quintessence of Japanese manufacturers, Technical perfection inherent in everything they do, brakes, suspension, and especially engine, tunes to the max.

Suzuki is their bad-boy little brother, poo poo build quality, poo poo suspension, but bizarre engine configurations and bikes that make hooligans smile. Adding that "Italian" "soul" to all their bikes (i.e. they always break down)

Kawasaki is Suzuki's little bud, insane bikes, but sometimes dubious build quality.

Honda is Yamaha, with the soul sucked out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

counterpoint: I have heard that you meet the nicest people on a Honda

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Honda makes automatic transmission bikes. Pro or con, you decide!

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
When I was looking into my FZ-09 I heard that Kawasaki(or was Honda??) had tried to but was unable to figure out, even with the budget suspension, how Yamaha could get the price so cheap and not take a loss.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yamaha is just great. I didn't even think about it until a few months ago, but m saxophone from high school is a Yamaha; now I know why it's looks and sounds so good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Space Whale posted:

just a 250?

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HogX posted:

Honda makes automatic transmission bikes. Pro or con, you decide!

They're called scooters.