Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I think the DR650 is shorter than the KLR. It's definitely shorter than the DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Man lot of Suzuki hate ITT. Y'all going to make my bandit break down out of shame. :saddowns:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Buell footpegs are $25 and lower your pegs about an inch. Google it, it's a very common mod.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

I think it's pretty established that DRz400>DR650>Dirtboard>MTB>KLR650

:D

Sagebrush posted:

KLRs are the most Soviet of all the Japanese bikes. Clunky, ugly, not particularly refined, but they're cheap and last forever and have a die-hard fanbase that will teach you how to fix a busted crankshaft on the side of the road with baling wire and PVC pipe.

Yeah this, they also have ehhhh 75lb on the dr650. IMO the dr650 is better offroad, and you can factory lower the fucker. I owned a KLR, and eventually managed to kill the god damned thing. that said? DR> KLR.

Shitzuki ownership is like italan bike ownership though... the rear end in a top hat has not left me stranded often, but when it does, it makes god drat sure there is no kludge out of it. Same with the wifes DR. it has had exactly 1 tow.... from 700 miles away.

They suck at valvetrains, and fasteners, and wiring, and suspensions, and ARG why is my yard still home for these pieces of poo poo.

because we've fought our way out of the above problems, thats why.

E: also jfc 70 something replies today.. again eh? drat.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 30, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol, this fuckin' thread. :rolleyes:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cursedshitbox posted:

Shitzuki ownership is like italan bike ownership though...
As someone who works on Suzukis and Italian bikes of various kinds I wish people would stop saying this because there is nothing remotely similar between them. Suzukis are not unreliable and with rare exceptions not that fun either.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As someone who works on Suzukis and Italian bikes of various kinds I wish people would stop saying this because there is nothing remotely similar between them. Suzukis are not unreliable

:unsmith:

quote:

and with rare exceptions not that fun either.

:smith:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

As someone who works on Suzukis and Italian bikes of various kinds I wish people would stop saying this because there is nothing remotely similar between them. Suzukis are not unreliable and with rare exceptions not that fun either.

I thought it was that suzuki makes reliable powerplants with poo poo parts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I made the comparison because both are notoriously lovely in certain areas. not because of the feels in your loins when you ride. :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all bikes are fun goddamnit

don't be bikecist

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

all bikes are fun goddamnit

don't be bikecist

Because the beauty of the unfaired standard motorcycle must not perish from the earth. :hitler:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If bieks irc becomes a slack maybe I'd come visit cause lol irc

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

If bieks irc becomes a slack maybe I'd come visit cause lol irc

ay, you can connect to irc over slack

We use Hipchat at work, it's uh, special.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Chichevache posted:

Because the beauty of the unfaired standard motorcycle must not perish from the earth. :hitler:

On a whim I checked.

I found a harley with 1488 cc displacement :stonk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: nm, i misread

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

BlackMK4 posted:

Hipchat is aite, just less robust than slack so it's lovely for some purposes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Space Whale posted:

On a whim I checked.

I found a harley with 1488 cc displacement :stonk:

I refuse to see that as anything but intentional.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

@all We can set up #bieks in Hipchat

@all and annoy the gently caress out of everyone who haven't tweaked their notification settings

@all fucks your mom

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nsaP posted:

irc.synirc.net #bieks we welcome all comers

those who claim to be banned are merely butthurt, only banned person atm is smokey and he doesn't even have a bike.

this is entirely wrong jfyi, smokey isn't banned any longer and he owns a zrx

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
myspace.com/bieks

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PaintVagrant posted:

myspace.com/bieks

don't be salty TaintVagina :V

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

don't be salty TaintVagina :V

I believe its SaintWangrant

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ten months after passing my test, I finally have my updated licence, meaning it is now entirely legal for me to ride any motorbike I want. :toot:

I have definitely not been riding any bikes above 125cc in the intervening time under the assumption that a test pass certificate was valid as an entitlement. Nope. :ninja:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Buell footpegs are $25 and lower your pegs about an inch. Google it, it's a very common mod.

They make good factory equipment too just sayin............

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

KLRs are the most Soviet of all the Japanese bikes.... last forever...

beep boop does not compute

I've heard(probably through adv) that the oil cooler on the DR makes it more reliable on highway commutes over the XL650s, so there's that too.

But get a running XR500/600 for $800, put a baja kit on it and wheelie that street legal pig to the nearest fire road/trail.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Carth Dookie posted:

Man lot of Suzuki hate ITT. Y'all going to make my bandit break down out of shame. :saddowns:

Don't worry, it'll do that on its own regardless.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, nothing until the 3rd gen, which I guess you could call the 2nd gen since the 1st and 2nd were really similar.

Optional extra on the first generation, model-specific on the second and standard from then on. But Razzled has got a Rotax Tuono (IIRC) so no, never an option on them. poo poo, they only got ABS as an option for the last years of the "1000" models, Mille derivatives never got it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wat, in America the Rotax Tuonos are the 1st and 2nd gens. The V4 is the start of the third gen.
:psyduck:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Wat, in America the Rotax Tuonos are the 1st and 2nd gens. The V4 is the start of the third gen.
:psyduck:

That's not official Aprilia naming (either your way or mine), they consider each model year it's own generation apart from the first two years where they didn't even make cosmetic changes. I guess your two generations of V2 are the Mille-derived bikes and the 1000-derived ones?

Of course that's so Aprilia, that they signify a massive re-engineering of their flagship bike by changing the name from "Mille" (Italian for a thousand) to "1000") but they did make pretty big engine and suspension changes every model year (and even sometimes within the model year) and then muddied the waters even further by selling the different years simultaneously, particularly with the 1000 which was sold alongside the V4s for 3 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

particularly with the 1000 which was sold alongside the V4s for 3 years.

:psyboom:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

They'd signed a deal with Rotax to supply some ridiculous amount of engines at the beginning of the Mille project, so they had to get rid of them somehow. That's why they had so many bikes built around it (Tuono, Fighter, Falco, Caponord, Futura) towards the end. Piaggio at least stopped most of the madness but with nobody but Can-Am willing to buy the engines themselves (and the V2 still selling well) it was the best way of emptying whatever Indiana Jones-scale warehouse had them all.

:italy:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's not official Aprilia naming (either your way or mine), they consider each model year it's own generation apart from the first two years where they didn't even make cosmetic changes. I guess your two generations of V2 are the Mille-derived bikes and the 1000-derived ones?

Of course that's so Aprilia, that they signify a massive re-engineering of their flagship bike by changing the name from "Mille" (Italian for a thousand) to "1000") but they did make pretty big engine and suspension changes every model year (and even sometimes within the model year) and then muddied the waters even further by selling the different years simultaneously, particularly with the 1000 which was sold alongside the V4s for 3 years.

Hmm, so in America the 1st gen is the Mille derived bike, then the body style changed to the 2nd gen but kept the 1st gen motor and electronics, but in 2007.5 they upgraded to the new heads and front calipers but only on the Tuono because the already RSV had the motor update and and........ Yeah, what a mess.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 31, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They'd signed a deal with Rotax to supply some ridiculous amount of engines at the beginning of the Mille project, so they had to get rid of them somehow. That's why they had so many bikes built around it (Tuono, Fighter, Falco, Caponord, Futura) towards the end. Piaggio at least stopped most of the madness but with nobody but Can-Am willing to buy the engines themselves (and the V2 still selling well) it was the best way of emptying whatever Indiana Jones-scale warehouse had them all.

:italy:

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, so in America the 1st gen is the Mille derived bike, then the body style changed to the 2nd gen but kept the 1st gen motor and electronics, but in 2007.5 they upgraded to the new heads and front calipers but only on the Tuono because the already RSV had the motor update and and........ Yeah, what a mess.

The sheer mindfuckery of the co-existent models and million year to year changes is almost Honda-like.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They aren't the Italian Honda for nothing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

They aren't the Italian Honda for nothing.

Now now, that would imply Honda makes bikes that are exciting to ride.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My vtr1000 was plenty exciting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Now now, that would imply Honda makes bikes that are exciting to ride.

That's what the italian part is for.

Carth Dookie posted:

My vtr1000 was plenty exciting.

There's a certain excitement in not knowing whether you'll make it to the next gas station yeah.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Well, they've got the Italian R/R's down, now they just need to get everything else.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

There's a certain excitement in not knowing whether you'll make it to the next gas station yeah.

The pogo suspension can make the ride exciting, not knowing just quite how high you're going to bounce over that bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Is the rc51 the most Italian Honda?