Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Sooo.... Vespa's hosed, but other than that?

Seriously though, I don't see how the states would be able to get away with a 100% duty - the WTO would probably have a few words to say about that.

Edit: Oh right, dirtbikes :doh:
Looks like the WTO's already had words with the EU over their beef ban

But still, fuuuuuuuuck. Poor KTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

waptang posted:

Of course it will.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Hehe, that might be the solution! Also the reason I have had to wait, need some friends for backup in case there's need for lifting :)

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I've been having charging problems with my CBR F3, and recently replaced the R/R and got a new battery. Last night I was riding and I noticed the lights were dim, so I decided I'd turn around at the next exit and head back home. Before I got there, the bike died and I had to pull over to the side of the highway. Thankfully I'd recharged the old battery in case it was still usable, so after waiting on the side of the highway while my wife brought the old battery I got home.

I tested the voltage across the charged battery at 5k rpm... no change. Great, the stator or wiring was toasted by the bad r/r. I called about taking the bike in to have a real mechanic fix it, and they recommended checking if the wiring from the stator was burnt. If so, I could just hardwire it back together instead of replacing the stator. Upon inspection, I didn't have to take it in at all! Not because it was burnt, but because I hadn't plugged the stator back in since testing it while waiting for the new r/r and battery. No wonder it wasn't holding a charge.

Oops.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.
I work with a buddy of mine who's got a recent-model Griso 1100 and he loves it. He'd been riding dirtbikes and stuff for ages on and off road, and when he saw my Buell, the roadbike bug bit him, and after testing a bunch of stuff he ended up with the Griso.

I've sat on it, and it's quite comfortable, pretty low seat height (lower than my XB12Ss), it sounds good (definitely not loud), but his is in red and it looks sharp too.

If you've got any specific questions, let me know and I can ask him.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Pretty sure I figured out what was causing the RPM launching into orbit issue...apparently when z3n and I were putting the airbox back onto the engine, we didn't clamp a couple hoses on properly and they came off, thus screwing with the vacuum for the carbs.

Oops.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Pretty sure I figured out what was causing the RPM launching into orbit issue...apparently when z3n and I were putting the airbox back onto the engine, we didn't clamp a couple hoses on properly and they came off, thus screwing with the vacuum for the carbs.

Oops.

Guess we should have actually taken the tank off. :xd:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Guess we should have actually taken the tank off. :xd:

Nah, I managed to get them back on there proper with the tank on. We just shouldn't have been rushing to get the gently caress out of there for Mexican food is all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Nah, I managed to get them back on there proper with the tank on. We just shouldn't have been rushing to get the gently caress out of there for Mexican food is all.

Hey man, sorry, Mexican is more important than your bike running right. I thought you'd know that. :v:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Tried to start it up this morning and BAM it revs right up to 7k. Which is different from before so something else is hosed. Maybe that third vacuum line.

gently caress.

Also gently caress daylight savings time for making it impractical for me to work on it after work.

At least I got some good exercise pedaling to work :haw:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hope this hasn't been posted yet...

Abandoned warehouse full of vintage motorcycles

http://newboards.tusclan.com/showthread.php?t=61676

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Goddamn. :aaaaa: That's even more sad than that crazy rear end field full of Z cars rotting away. :3:

I do like how the thread suddenly hit the mainstream, and everyone in the forum were just ... :confused: ... Where the gently caress did everyone come from?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Got a Pay it Forward: anygoon need a handlebar-mounted fold-up cupholder?

It was on my Nighthawk when I bought it, and I don't need it, so PM me or let me know your email or AIM to let me know where to mail it to.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A cup holder is exactly what I need for my morning commute on the zx6r.

Will it work with clip-ons?

Keanu Reeves
Jan 2, 2009

by Fragmaster

Zool posted:

that's what your paint needs. delicious almond mochachino stains all across its white dimpled surface.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Keanu Reeves posted:

that's what your paint needs. delicious almond mochachino stains all across its white dimpled surface.

Why is it that people want texture on their walls and ceilings but not their motorcycles and cars?

And it's going to be hazelnut.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Zool posted:

Don't know what clip-ons are. It just literally bolts onto the bent pipe of the handlebar. It works just fine on a Standard bike because there's plenty of bar, no idea how it works with those little things you have on crotch-rockets.

I'm happy to send it to whoever thinks they can actually use it, but if it doesn't fit I guess you'd have to mail it to someone with a Standard or Cruiser.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Who needs a cupholder? Whenever I have to carry coffee on my bike, I just take some saran wrap, seal it over the cup and put the lid on, and put it in the end pocket of my duffel bag. When I had my only highside, I was returning from the coffee shop. After picking up my bike from the pavement, I got into my bag, only to find that my coffee hadn't spilled a drop. When the paramedics and fire dept. showed up with the police, I was shakily sitting on the curb, drinking coffee. One of the cops said, "don't tell me you were drinking that when you crashed." I said, "gently caress no, I'm not crazy. It was in my bag." The cop looked puzzled and said, "It didn't spill?" I shook my head and he said :cool:

That is the :black101: way to carry your coffee.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Don't know what clip-ons are ... those little things you have on crotch-rockets.
Asked and answered :)

If it ends up not working on the clip-ons, I'd like it :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A to go cup from a coffee shop, or something with a screw on lid?

^^It's not going to work, I retract my claim on the cup holder.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zool posted:

A to go cup from a coffee shop, or something with a screw on lid?

^^It's not going to work, I retract my claim on the cup holder.

TTFA I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full or something :)

Edit: Totally taking this as it fits my bike :) Thanks ForwardAssist!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 4, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Krakkles posted:

TTFA I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full or something :)

Gimme a minute, I'll go free up space. I got a ton of PMs during the SA trollfest on a Palin forum. The main thread is hidden to keep Palinites from mining it to uncover our trolls, but there's a "troll freak-out" thread in LF about the ongoing fallout. We've got it mentioned on Michelle Malkin already.

PM me in about an hour.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
The unseasonably warm weather today saw a lot of bikes out on the road. As a new rider it was the first time I saw more than a couple bikes in one outing, and it was nice to see so many people out enjoying the day. Mostly cruisers though, I think all of my fellow sport bike riders are still on winter break (I live in a college town).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ghost of Razgriz posted:

Mostly cruisers though, I think all of my fellow sport bike riders are still on winter break (I live in a college town).

No, thats normal. You will be wading in a sea of cruisers come summer.

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Fair enough, most of the folks here are nice enough to wave back regardless. We're pretty bike-friendly here, though the real sea won't come until October when Bikes, Blues and BBQ rolls into town and the entire city is awash in two- and three-wheeled vehicles. And to think as recently as October 2008 I cursed them. Now, now I am one of them.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I demo'd the Ducati Monster 696 today and I was pleasantly surprised. The thing is so small it almost feels like riding lower seat height supermoto. It seemed to be happiest at about 5500 rpm and anything under 4k would lug the engine quite a bit. I don't like V/L twins so I was surprised that it didn't feel like a typical twin as it was a bit smoother. I'm a total Triumph fag so I would buy the Street Triple over the 696 plus the Triple is a few hundred cheaper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I'm taking on one of those projects that is probably pretty stupid, but has the chance to wind up being super awesome.

I just received a free CT90 motor in the mail today (Publishers Clearing House Winners: EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT), and I pretty much have enough parts to build a new RV90. My spare RV90 motor has a blown crank seal and a shot tranny, so it would take some doing to get it going again.

I'm thinking about mounting the CT90 motor up in the RV90 frame. This will be a long-term project, as the CT motor isnt complete yet, and I'll need some stuff for it, like a wiring harness, carb, etc. It should be fun though, and the end result is sure to be interesting, no matter what that result is.

Anyways, I need some information on this CT90 motor. Anyone know of some forums that deal with CT's and the like? I'm going to need some guidance on this one, as I've never dealt with these small Horizontal Hondas before.

Engine number says "CT90E 231459", which I have to assume is the VIN. Should also help to figure out what year it is.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Judging from this it looks like a K1 (1969)

EDIT: WAFFLEIMAGES :argh:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 6, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
What's the difference between the two motors, and why is the CT90 going to be that much better?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The stock motor is a 90cc 2 stroke. That means it really only makes best power in the top say.. third of it's rpm range. the CT90 is a 4 stroke. With power that's roughly the same. But it's torque curve is wide and flat. You can read "wide and flat" as useful. And there are some very surprising upgrades available for that "block." Upwards of 20hp, and 140cc is well within a phat albert type budget.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro covered it pretty well, while also calling me poor :colbert:

I'm not necessarily doing it because the CT90 motor is that much better or worse than the RV90 motor, its just something different. The RV is already a quirky bike, so I figure why not have one thats completely different from stock? I've got the parts to make another RV, but my spare motor is shot, the CT motor is the same basic size and design as the RV motor is, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Also, as Nero said, the CT90 motor can be modified pretty easily, and parts are pretty well everywhere. The RV motor is an ebay-only affair, and even then a lot of the parts you find are used. I really like the RV90, and I will keep my original one original. The most fun thing about the bike is the small stature and the huge tires though. The motor, while reliable as all hell, is nothing all that amazing. So I'm taking the best part of the RV90, and stuffing a 4-stroke in there.

Turns out, the engine I got has a 4-speed tranny, with a high and low selector on the final drive, so its effectively 8 different speeds. Should be fun!

To be fair to the original RV90, I may do the math this summer and make an expansion chamber for it, just to see if I can do it.

Plus, I'm the type that gets fidgety and restless without an ongoing project, and since my main bike is a 2000 Suzuki, it wont need any serious work unless I leave it in the ocean for the next 20 years.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 6, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I wish they had that sort of aftermarket back when I was a pimply faced skinny kid riding my old CT90 and its single-digit horsepower. That low range covered a lot of low power sins, if the bike just couldn't climb it or muck through it, you could put in in 1st/low, get off and push.

See the mountain off to the left? It's in Eagle River, AK, and I took a CT 90 to the top of that mountain....in October-ish. There was one snowfield that I tried to ride across and failed, so i ended up kicking a little trail across the snowfield, put it in 1st/low and pushed it across. That mountain is also part of Chugach State PArk where even back then motorized vehicles were strongly discouraged, OK, prohibited, on the way down off the mountain a friendly park ranger was waving to me. I waved back. He started waving harder, almost beckoning, I waved back again and rode a bit faster. He started pointing and running, so I figured that there must be some sort of danger and rode as fast as I could out of there. You know, I never did figure out what he wanted. Must have been warning me bout a :byobear:

Edit-of course you don't see that mountain! Maybe you can now!

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006
I'm currently up for getting new insurance, but I have a small question about an incident before I go out getting quotes.

Several months ago I pulled a stupid move and laid down my SV during a panic stop. It was a single vehicle accident. I made no claims to insurance, received no citation from the police, but a police report was filed.

Is there anyway a insurance company would come across that police report while checking my driving history or in the vehicle records? Should I mention this incident at all when going for a quote?

I probably already fouled up pretty bad by not reporting it when it happened. Any advice on the situation?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
As long as it didn't go on your driving record, your insurance company will never know about it.

I can't tell you if it went on your driving record or not, though. That depends on the department and the state you live in. You should be able to check your own record... give your local PD a call and ask them (or just ask a cop somewhere, as long as they're not busy).

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

As long as it didn't go on your driving record, your insurance company will never know about it.

I can't tell you if it went on your driving record or not, though. That depends on the department and the state you live in. You should be able to check your own record... give your local PD a call and ask them (or just ask a cop somewhere, as long as they're not busy).

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I might have omitted an important part of the incident. The accident happened in Arizona, while I was still a resident of Indiana. Roughly two weeks ago I became a resident of Arizona. I don't think that the two states would communicate that well on driver records, but I'll find out soon enough.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MooseNoose posted:

I'm currently up for getting new insurance, but I have a small question about an incident before I go out getting quotes.

Several months ago I pulled a stupid move and laid down my SV during a panic stop. It was a single vehicle accident. I made no claims to insurance, received no citation from the police, but a police report was filed.

Is there anyway a insurance company would come across that police report while checking my driving history or in the vehicle records? Should I mention this incident at all when going for a quote?

I probably already fouled up pretty bad by not reporting it when it happened. Any advice on the situation?

If you never received a citation, then you didn't do anything wrong in the eyes of the law. The insurance company isn't going to have access to police paper like a report that reads "dude fell down." You did right not reporting it, insurance companies live to gently caress you. Don't mention it, pretend like it never happened :ninja:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MooseNoose posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I might have omitted an important part of the incident. The accident happened in Arizona, while I was still a resident of Indiana. Roughly two weeks ago I became a resident of Arizona. I don't think that the two states would communicate that well on driver records, but I'll find out soon enough.

Pretty sure almost every PD just files the reports internally and communicating with the DMV is your problem. So you should be ok.

MooseNoose
Aug 6, 2006
Well, I found out today why you should use car-fax before buying a vehicle.

When I bought the 99' SV in 2004 it looked brand new and had a clean title.

Today when I registered it in Arizona I found out that one of the previous owners TOTALED the bike in Texas. It wasn't officially totaled in the system until 2005 through some sort of gently caress up. After that wreck, another owner managed to get a CLEAN Indiana title before selling it to someone else who put it up on consignment at the dealership, where I bought it.

So, I ended up with an Arizona Restore/Salvage title and a hit in resale value with no real recourse.

Just a little bit cheesed with this little gem of information.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seriously, anyone know of a forum that deals with Honda CT's? I honestly cant find one.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I want to get some reflective rim tape for my DRZ because of my 1am back road commute to work.

Red vs Black.

I think ill go with red, as it matched my 80's hair metal, barb wire BNG's. Red always looks more orange when in the sun though :(.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Go with the red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

My vote goes for red as well.