Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Stopped by the local BMW/KTM/Ducati/Aprillia shop today to look at heated gear. Saw the new BMW S1000RR, wow what a bike. Looks pretty drat compact and nice. Will be going to the "unveiling" Saturday and possibly doing a test ride on the 30th when they get the keys.

My friend is the parts guy and we are planning on taking it to the gap for a day with the killboy crew to get some promo shots. Should be a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lancemantis posted:

The weirdest cop-motorcycle experience I've had is when I was sitting at a light on my CBR and a police officer pulled up next to me on a CBR...

We had a short chat at the light, he just asked me what year mine was and such. I don't think he was a motor cop, just a police officer riding a bike somewhere (home maybe?)

Haven't had any run ins with cops or even have them pay me much attention until this morning on the way into work. I picked up a hi-viz suit last night and rode it into work today. Two cops waved at me, another started talking to me at a light. I guess it's a good thing but surprised the poo poo out of me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Sat on the new BMW S1000RR and its a lot more comfortable than the Jap liter bikes. Incredibly light feeling and looks a lot better in person. Can't see the headlights from the cockpit :v:

I saw it for the first time about two weeks ago and finally sat on it earlier this week. Feels pretty comfortable and I really like the way it looks. If it wasn't for this drat snow in the forecast we would be taking it to the gap to get some promo video/photos for the dealership. Not even sure if I want to ride it in fear that I will like it and start selling toys to get one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lancemantis posted:

I saw the local dealer had an S1000RR at a show not too long ago, had it at like >$16,000, must of had all the bells and whistles or something?

Motorsport paint job is $700 or so, race ABS is another 1400. Goodies add up quick on that bike.

Also it is snowing...gently caress snow I wanted to go play on the S1000RR

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oakey posted:

First ride of the year for me last Sunday. Let me tell you, you get some funny looks riding around a sportbike when it's below freezing around here.

It is well worth the looks, just be on the lookout people aren't expecting bikes when its cold out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gnomad posted:

So, I will do the riding for you. In Alaska. That seems normal!

If I lived in an area that got enough snow to justify a set of studded tires I would love to ride in the snow. Sadly the 2-3 days of snow we have had so far just aren't enough for me to swap tires/wheels for studs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Take a mountain bike, toss in a 17hp engine and some other goodies. You get the FX Bike https://www.fxbikes.com

Now I want to build my own with a 50-125cc two stroke with a full clutch but then I would pretty much end up with a trials bike.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 14, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Random observation: If you need to figure out your speed for some reason (broken/don't trust your speedo etc) newer model Honda Civics are very plentiful and have an extremely easy to read from outside the car speedometer. I used this trick to figure out my CBR929's speedo is off by about 14mph!

Thats good to know I haven't had a speedo on the SV for a good month now. Still haven't ordered the drat part

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sharp_angus posted:

I was flipping through the "Top # things you love the poo poo out of while riding" thread, and a few people mentioned wearing hearing protection during their rides.

How many people here actually wear earplugs, and is wind/engine noise really that detrimental to your hearing even with a helmet on?

I just started riding this week, and my GS500 has the stock exhaust but no windshield, so getting the wind full blast in the face/chest can be kinda loud, but loud enough to actually damage my hearing? :monocle:

I got in the habit as soon as I started thanks to a few recommendations on here. Took a hearing conservation class at work a few months later and she stressed how bad bikes are for your hearing...I got to smile and pull out my ear plugs.

Just pick up a pack of cheap foam plugs and go for a ride with them in. I can't ride without them now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So had a day today on the bike. First the lovely...gently caress roundabouts and gently caress people. Two close incidents today, first on the way into work guy pulls into the roundabout when I am directly in front of him. I somehow saw him and pulled away to avoid getting run over. This was in a flat visible roundabout at work...it was a government vehicle.

Today on the way home approaching a pretty busy one I start slowing down because there is a line of cars trying to merge from the left. I'm making sure to slow down slowly because the guy behind me is on my rear end. I get to the line and stop, he hits my back tire, not sure how I didn't fall over. I calmly put the bike in neutral put down the kickstand to go back and yell at him. At the same time the cop behind him is getting out of his car. We get to the window at about the same time, cop lets me yell at him for a bit then takes his turn. I opted to not file report or any of the other bullshit but cop still got him a ticket or two :cheers: Whole thing took about 5 minutes for me and a lo longer for him...a lot of pissed of people stuck.

Should also note this was on a bright yellow (all yellow) DRZ and me in a Hi-Viz suit. People are loving stupid and will not see you.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Linedance posted:

big roundabouts

Oh god I can't even imaging the carnage if we had "real/big" roundabout here. These are just tiny one lane little ones.

As for carrying some form of defense on the bike I have seriously considered it with what I have seen since I started riding in September. My Dad carries a modified film canister of airsoft pellets that usually makes people back off. He also showed me the trick of dragging a center stand for sparks and dragging a foot in the gravel next to the road to throw rocks. I've done the foot drag and it works good if gravel is available, I don't have a center stand otherwise I would try that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm another IT guy although more on the hardware side. I'm the one of three in the entire supercomputing portion of ORNL that rides. Think there are at least 50 people in the department.

Plan on riding the motard in with my one piece leathers once it warms up a bit.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

In Florida and the lack of gear and riding skill is amazing. Saw at least 30 bikes today, 4 with helmets...one with a jacket. No one with full gear, I just don't get it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crayvex posted:

Yesterday a poser Harley guy pulled into the parking lot at work while blaring "Bad to the Bone." lame lame lame lame

Speaking of poser harley guys I saw a nice one yesterday. I'm on the DRZ at a light and hear him coming. He pulls up next to me and doesn't think to put down his feet...timber goes the big heavy harley. I was really tempted to pull away because I was laughing so hard but I helped him get the bike back up and out of the way.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

VTNewb posted:

Got bark busters and a big ol thick skidplate for the KTM. All I need are radiator guards now. I also got a new chest protector, and some various stuff for the WR. I have to repack the WR's steering head bearings this weekend and do brake pads, and try and figure out if I blew a seal in the front master cylinder.

If you don't have knee protectors buy some. I'm walking around the office like a loving gimp with a bruised knee cap from last weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

My vote is that I go down the aisle while doing a rolling burnout.

I don't think it's going to go over so well, but gently caress them, it's my day! :haw:

Just have everyone in the wedding in full leathers. We tried to get my friend to do it but his wife said no. I still showed up in full leathers with a tie and suit jacket. He loved it, she was pissed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Do we have a dirtbike thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3261970

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I don't like cats and have never lived with cats but I still love motorcycles. Have however had dogs since I was really young.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I wear hi-viz yellow...I kind of want to paint my SV hi-viz orange, the DRZ is already all yellow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

AncientTV posted:

The only way around it is if I rev it +7k rpm, and then I scare everyone in traffic.

:coal:

You say that like its a bad thing. If you scare them they might realize you are there. I usually don't blip on downshifts when slowing in normal riding, just slip the clutch to let it rev match.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Went to the local bike dealership today for demo days. Went for the food/friends mostly but ended up riding three bikes; hypermotard, street fighter and S1000RR in that order. Sadly their test loop is pretty busy and straight so I didn't get a great chance to play with the bikes but I did get a feel for them.

Ducati Hypermotard 796 - Good power, pretty smooth and rode pretty nice but it just isn't a motard. It is more of a naked bike with long travel suspension, saying that if I was limited to one bike and wanted something motardish this might fit pretty good. It was just too wide for my liking, I much prefer my DRZ to this even though it is gutless in comparison.

Ducati Streetfighter S - What a monster...pulls like it is never going to top out and handles pretty nice. I really enjoyed this bike especially the power and the brakes. Could see this thing being a wheelie machine in the right hands. Just tons and tons of torque everywhere. Idled kind of funny and had a slight hesitation at ~3k rpm but I guess the new software fixes this.

BMW S1000RR - Holy poo poo I am impressed. The brakes, the power, the suspension, the entire bike. It turns in crisp, picks up speed way too quickly for me to comprehend and stops even quicker. I had to do two loops with this one. The clip-ons would need a little adjustment if I got one but I really liked this bike. BMW made a hell of a bike.

On a side note the most powerful bike I have ever ridden prior to today was my friends 636, I thought that was fast. My whole sense of acceleration was blown away today with the Streetfighter and the S1000RR. Also the food was pretty good.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crayvex posted:

My only complaint is that the buckles on the tail bag would work themselves loose in heavy winds. I had to tighten them a couple of times on the ride home. Apparently riding 80+ mph in the wind will make them wiggle a bit. The tail bag would sort of flop to one side or another.

Been having the same issue with my tail bag, just kind of flops off to one side after a while. Bit of a pain in the rear end to fix it once a week or so but not horrible. Pretty nice setup otherwise. Good to hear you didn't hit too much lovely weather on the ride.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

sklnd posted:

I will, actually, but my 12v socket is on the rear of the bikes luggage rack, so my phone will have to live back there when charging.

Get an extension cord run it under your seat and tank so you can have the phone in your tankbag or where it is convenient.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So Hell for Leather has started charging to look at pictures and see comments as well as some other stuff I think. I'm a cheap bastard so does anyone have any recommendations for decent motorcycle blog?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I made a stupid riding mistake this morning, I drove to work. It was/is raining and I have a ton of errands to run after work so I figure I'll take the car. Of course I forget that on the bike I stay completely dry and warm, with the car I have to park a few blocks away and get soaked walking to the door...damnit.

Pretty sure I'm going back to my bike commuting policy from last year. If I can get out of the driveway safely and there isn't a huge snow/ice storm coming (>60% chance) I'm riding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

They dont really give you any way to tell how long two light changes would be, so the rule boils down to "wait for a while and run the red when the roads clear".
There are a few lights on my commute that I used to wait for. Usually ended up sitting there for a while unless I could convince the car behind me to get really close. Now I just stop, check for traffic and go. Left turn lanes/lights are really bad for this I've noticed.

On a completely unrelated note I'm sure most of you have seen this: http://jalopnik.com/5491243/garage-condo-the-ultimate-man-cave

As someone with a good collection of toys and in the market for a new house building something like this is really tempting. 40x40 metal building with a 16x20 or 20x20 upstairs living area. I would enclose the upstairs so I'm not heating/cooling the entire space then add a bedroom but otherwise I like what he did. Would this be completely stupid?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm not sure I'd enclose the space though. Maybe a wall of windows? I think it would be awesome to stand up there and survey my domain.
That is the plan, a wall of windows. I did a rough layout which you can see at http://pl.an/sweh4f. I think the whole thing could be built for a pretty reasonable price. Ran the idea by Dad and he said once the shell is up he'll take a couple months off work and we'll do the interior and finishing work.

Frances B Cat posted:

In related news I got called white trash for suggesting that I could store a bike on the patio so I could have another one. No one would see the patiobike! And I would cover it and everything. :saddowns:
drat if that's white trash I don't know what I am. We don't have a patio so we store bikes in the living room and bedrooms.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

So basically there are a lot of other people out there with that dream.

I had a feeling it was a common dream home for people that are into cars/trucks/bikes/planes/machining/fabrication/etc. Most of the places that offer the space are zoned commercial so you can't live there, pry decreases their insurance costs or something so I can't blame them.

Nice thing is if I live away from the city (which is what I want) acreage isn't as expensive, building codes are very relaxed and you don't have much for neighbors to bitch about your "ugly" steel building. Just need to determine how long of a commute I could stand...the farther I'm willing to drive the cheaper the land gets.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

We've finally got a break in the weather here in middle TN -drat near 60.

You know what that means. :black101:

Has been a beautiful day in East TN as well for riding. Sadly I'm on call and have been stuck at work for most of it...damnit at least there is more great weather in the coming months.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice weather in Knoxville as well. Did a motard/dual-sport ride yesterday, temp at 10am when we started was 36 by the time I got home it was 62. Woke up today and it was 50 degrees. This is going to be a good week. Discovered how much hand guards help though...36 degrees yesterday my hands were fine after ~30 miles of interstate, today 50 degrees without guards but with heated grips and my fingertips were cold after ~10 miles.

Thanks to that ride and some of the roads we hit...I got air twice and did three wheelies thanks to the road just suddenly dropping 5 feet. I want to learn wheelies so I can ride my DRZ properly. What is the recommended technique for learning? Leathers and DRZ in a parking lot or dirt gear and the KDX in a field?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 14, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Tip of the day: adjust your levers to comfort. I feel stupid for not ding this half a year ago. :/
Also adjust your rear brake and shift levers/pedals. Amazing how much more comfortable it is to ride and shift when they are in the right spot...also makes it really easy to slam on the read brakes and slide.

I'm planning a trip to Florida sometime end of April or Early May, going to be about 700 miles one way. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth riding the SV down over driving down. If I ride down I'll stick to state highways and take around 14 hours (2 days), driving I think I could do it in one 12 hour day. Is it worth riding down for easy parking even though I know the roads suck?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 23, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I might be selling my 07 DRZ400SM if I can make up my mind on a CRF motard. Even has a shaved seat on it.

\/PM Sent\/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 2, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

SlightlyMadman posted:

God loving damnit my Bonnie refused to start for the second time in the past week this morning. I've been putting off taking it to the dealer for an urban tune, because when I did that with my last bike it took them six hours, and then the next day it was totaled by a drunk driver.

Is it possible to install a kick started as a backup or something like that?

Failed to start because of dead battery or failed to start because it just wouldn't catch? My SV was having battery issues and I tracked down a bad ground, fixed that and no more problems.

\/ ah ok in that case ride the drat thing \/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wow my neighbors are awesome. I drove into work today instead of riding. So far I've received one email and two text messages asking if I was alright because the car isn't in the driveway and it isn't snowing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Has anyone else had their key start getting difficult to turn from sitting out in the weather? Over the last couple weeks the key in my SV is getting harder to turn, I'm assuming it is from sitting out in the rain while I'm at work. Would a blast of WD-40, electronics cleaner or compressed air clean everything out?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Did the gear oil method for now and it helped a lot. Will find some graphite powder and do it correctly when the weather isn't so beautiful.

Finally got the oil leak fixed on the CRF and took it for another spirited ride around the area. drat that thing is a step up from the DRZ. I just need to get used to riding a CRF on the street...bump/hill/green light loft the front, stop sign/red light loft the rear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

JP Money posted:

Bump/loft the front/lock up the rear/loft the front/eat dinner/rebuild. Repeat every week.
I can live with that. Think I'll head to the gap this weekend with the CRF if the weather is decent. Should be a lot of fun on a tight road like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

May/June and the rest of the "season" it is busy and there is a LEO presence from around 10am to 4pm. If I want to do any serious riding during the summer I get there at sunrise and have 3-4 hours of little to no traffic. Can do the same in the evening and I do that a lot after work.

Weekends can get bad with different groups riding and going during the week is a great option if you have it. Most of the time traffic isn't too bad and many people are smart enough to use the pull offs to let faster traffic by. If not passing can be a bit dangerous especially if you do not know the road.

One fun thing to do in the summer on weekends is ride early in the morning then sit and BS with the photographers when the traffic starts getting bad. People are always trying to show off in front of the cameras.

LEO's aren't really that bad at any time. Unless you are obviously riding over your head or dangerously they will generally leave you alone. It does take a while to get over the "oh poo poo" reaction coming around a corner dragging knee and seeing a LEO watching you. A lot of them ride and are decent to sit and talk with, they are just trying to keep the assholes that can't stick to their lane or that like to show off under control.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Deals Gap is fun but yes it is somewhat over rated. That's fine though because that leaves tons of roads that are as good if not better empty from traffic.

If your passing through the area do a pass or two at a comfortable pace. Don't worry too much about holding people up, there are pull offs if you need a break or get a couple behind you. Most of the regulars and quicker riders will pass you very quickly without you even needing to alter your line. If you see them coming put on a blinker and they will get by.

Also riding gear as ski/boarding gear is great. I went snowboarding in my hi-viz olympia this winter and the padding did it's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Spend some cash, get a couple tire spoons and a bead breaker. Watch a few youtube videos and change your own tires. So much easier/cheaper/faster.

We've got a nomar sitting in the living room and I still prefer spoons for sportbike tires.