Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
So I took a journey from my house in Helen, GA to Columbia, SC via 85 north to Greenville and I-26 south. I found it comical how bikers stopped at the border to REMOVE their helmets. A right of passage I suppose. The entire time I was within SC borders I only saw 4 people riding with a helmet on. One guy I saw was riding a Hyabusa without his helmet, which was clipped to the side of his motorcycle. WTF! He wasn't even proficient enough to ride in the 5 mph traffic moving and turning around him. To boot, he was wearing a protective jacket and gloves. I guess they could have a semi open casket for his funeral. Darwin could have a field day in this place. I knew there was no law there, but never had any idea that people were so naive to dangers of riding like that. Competent rider or not... which a good many I saw struggling about were not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Trintintin posted:

I would love to hear what he did.

He generally had no knowledge of clutch and throttle control. He revved the everliving piss out of the bike while walking it down the road and into a turn lane. I was graced with the honor of being the first car behind him watching this go on. When it came time for him to actually have the bike move under its own power to cross the two lanes of traffic it looked like he stalled it as he dumped the clutch, but there was none of that BADASS ENGINE NOISE. To each his own, at least when he gets plowed over the seat cowl will be nice and protected. That is the most important part to protect anyway.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Actually, I learned that that is not true awhile back in a similar arguement that took place somewhere on SA. Apparently the cost per accident is higher when there's a helmet law in place, because more people survive accidents that they otherwise would have died in, requiring expensive things like skin grafts, etc. I don't recall exactly which state it was where they discovered that. But the end result was that after the helmet law was passed, the overall cost per accident went up, not down :(

I can see this as being the case. If I plow into somebody's SUV and don't have a helmet, then the only thing the insurance company is going to pay for is the damage to their SUV. They aren't going to pay out to my family for me being an idiot, and there is no bodily injury to cover. If I wrecked on my own and there was no other damage except to the bike then it is even cheaper for them. Although, I suppose if there is a lean on the motorcycle that gets paid off by the insurance company? Or does that become the burden of the family?

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I am curious how your piston came up so high that it slapped the spark plug, or am I reading this wrong. The fairing on the 500 is plastic so it wore out a radiator? I think I am looking at this wrong, but drat that seems like some really poo poo luck. Sorry to hear it is done for.