Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Wow the 09 DRZ is 320 lbs. I always thought it was a more dirtbike-like 200 or so. I guess that's what their advertising would lead you to believe.

To add a question, as I might want to get a supermoto next year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu7DQn5vAI), is there a learning curve with these bikes like there is with sportbikes? In other words, would it be better to get a DRZ first before getting a KTM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Simkin posted:

Erm... Collision avoidance?

Wow I just pictured riding over the hood and roof of the volvo that almost hit me last week in a DRZ instead of braking with by Buell.

Spiffness posted:

The advantage of a DRZ over some KTM's is it is actually possible to keep the front wheel on the ground. You can bring the DRZ's up without any problem, fling it, jump it, stoppie it and drift the crap out of it, within days of owning one really if you have riding experience. But it can also be pretty docile while being stupid amounts of fun. The more serious motards are all the more likely to get you arrested. You can talk yourself out of a speeding ticket, but you cant talk yourself out of a 'I was 5 feet in the air on accident!' situation.

Hmm, I think that combined with that fact that used DRZs are dirt cheap compared to the KTMs means I'll look for one of those. I won't be too pissed if I drop it and have to fix something, either.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Crash

drat, it almost sounds like the guy did it on purpose. Hope you heal soon and it's too bad you couldn't follow him and maybe punch him in the face.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nerobro posted:

In the 70's and early 80's, harleys were truely poor motorcycles.

This reminds me of my dad's stories about old harleys. Back then guys would carry extra headgaskets with them, cause they'd blow all the time. You just limp off the side of the road, remove the 6 bolts or whatever, replace the headgasket and be on your way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Wow that seems kinda odd and I can see how it can be pretty confusing or throw people off. If someone ever does that to me I'm going to respond with a quacking duck hand figure.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've been wondering about something lately. I'm getting a lot more comfortable with my bike and find myself going closer to the 100mph mark on highways, whipping down twisty roads over the speed limit, and sometimes even passing cars on one-lane roads (when there is plenty of room to do so). I tend to keep this behavior to mid-day weekdays (I'm unemployed now) or after 10pm weekdays, when the roads are fairly empty. This is common behavior, right? Or does it make me a squid? I really just want to enjoy my bike, but I don't want to look like a jackass, either.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

What people don't see is between you and god. Just make sure people don't see it, wear your gear, and try to avoid outriding your sight lines. There are some roads that I like specifically because they offer really good sight lines through the corners, so you can up the pace a little bit and still be safe and ok.

When passing, I will pass on a DY as long as it's safe and I can do it without strafing the gently caress out of the car. I always wave when I go by as a little thank you/please don't hate me type thing. People who bitch about passing on DYs, well...what, are the roads getting more unsafe as they remove passing zones? Use common sense and give them the chance to use turnouts, and if they aren't polite about letting you by, then pass them where you can safely.

Sounds good. The problem with living in NJ is that there's not a single road that isn't lined with houses, so the best one can hope for on the street is trying to stay out of sight and keeping the bike stock-ish (quiet). I'm already looking into track days/clinics for this year and will be taking the advanced riding course once I rack up the 3000 miles.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Simkin posted:

Yeah, that's about the point where I looked into the practicality/cost of buying a race bike. I still do a bit of squidding around on the street like that, but nowhere near as much, especially during the months where I can actually play around on a race track.

Yeah it seems like prepping an older SV wouldn't be too much trouble or money. How do those bikes compare to bikes like the Ninja 250 for learning how to race? From my understanding I could learn on my Buell XB9S as well as an SV, but it just wouldn't be as competitive.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. My initial plan was to do a couple track days with the Buell and go from there. If I like it I'll look into a prepped SV. That's crazy that tires only last 3-7 days, I had no idea that you could burn them up that fast.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I would think the purchase price would push things in favor of a bike. Compare a 5k 2006 SV650 to a 18k 2006 Civic. And that's assuming you don't want equivalent performance in the car.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

My heated grips worked ok when wearing thin gloves, but my tourmaster heated gloves are the bestest. I just wish they had batteries so I could wear them shoveling last week (and not have to wire myself into my bike).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The waving topic is making me want to watch Wild Hogs. It's like someone read my mind about Harley riders and made a movie about it. Most Harley guys here in NJ will wave, especially when you're riding in 30-40 degree weather. The only time I can think of that I got denied the wave was from a guy riding a chopper with a viking helmet on, complete with giant horns.

Bicyclists...eh they mostly piss me off. Why are you riding in the street and causing a backup? Every time I see a bicyclist here it is accompanied with a line of cars trying to get around him via the opposing lane, only they can't because cars are in that lane too. Ride on the drat sidewalk, or at least the shoulder for christ's sake.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Christoff posted:

"Is that your crotch rocket outside?

"Yeah"

"Why don't you get a real bike. A harley"

"what"

"Cause I bought a bike to have fun on, not cause I'm having a mid-life crisis."

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Given that I really want a DRZ, but don't think my economic situation is in good enough shape to buy another toy, I got the thought of selling my Buell to buy one.

Thing is I've painted the whole bike and even the wheels with black spraypaint. It's not a crap job, I spent the better part of day taping off everything, but it's still spraypaint. I hacked off the tailpiece, but I figure I can just buy another and include it with the bike. I also JB-welded magnets to the underside of the airbox cover so I could use a magnetic tank bag and installed heated grips with a switch above the instrument cluster. I put new tires on, but did work myself (except for mounting of course). Is all this stuff going to screw the resale value if I try to sell it?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nerobro posted:

It's all about looking far enough ahead to get a picture of what's about to happen.

Some people can do it. Others can't.

I started doing this after a close call my first few weeks of riding. You get to the point where you just assume no one is paying attention, and they will just fall into the action you were expecting. Thus I'm ready to brake hard going through intersections, and waiting for the car in front of me to snap over when there is enough room.

The one thing I feel like I can't help is people behind me. They'll come up so drat fast and I'm not always in a solid position to move (which is why I think lanesplitting to the front of red lights is good). If I was any more cautious I would be jumping out of the way at every light when someone is coming up behind me. Sometimes I really feel like getting off my bike and flipping at out the people behind me at a light, which of course would leave them clueless as to why I did it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Rain isn't nearly as intimidating now as it was when I started riding. It seems like my bike performs better in it than my car, actually. I heard somewhere that bikes only lose something like 10% traction in the rain and it's more believable now that I've gotten caught in it a few times.

I never rode in the snow, but I did ride over a big sheet of ice over the winter. It was in an empty lot, so I gassed it a little and had the back end out at >10mph. It was cool.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You know, I thought it was legal in something like Texas or something "out west", but after research it seems it's only legal in CA. Maybe I heard there was a state that was thinking about making it legal, I dunno. v:shobon:v

Here in NJ there is now a "lane splitting task force" which I gather is a bunch of people discussing if lane splitting should be legal. If they do, I'll definitely be carrying a copy of the law in my bike jacket.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

That is an amazing idea! Why have I been hunting for odd/rare gaskets all these years? I'm definitely gonna give this a try!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Webbeh posted:

Sharing Coupons-related love with all the goons in AI:

A free year to Motorcyclist magazine!

I usually only see Car & Driver or Automobile, so this is a welcome surprise to find. And I figure you guys might enjoy it. :)

Nice! I actually paid fot that issue and it's sitting on my coffee table still. No longer!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Jesus, what happened man? was it bike related?

My money is on an extreme nail-biting problem.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I agree with the verdict too. I bet those lying bitches feel like poo poo now, since they made up that whole story probably just to avoid getting yelled at. Your plan backfired and your dad is now someone's bitch for life. I wonder how many one percenters are gonna be in the same jail as him.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Simkin posted:

:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

This is something I worry about all the time, so much that I just try to expect that it's gonna happen at some point just so I don't stress over it. Otherwise I won't ride my bike anywhere.

I've had a interesting experience over past week with the Husky. After the super awesome hydraulic clutch with no feel decided to stop working and leave me walking my bike home, I called the dealer. Since it was the first ride I had taken after I got it back, I figured they either did something to the clutch (which they denied) or ripped on it test riding until it started to go, then gave it back to me (which they did not answer when asked about).

I go there and describe the situation, to which the mechanic tells me it might be my slave cylinder, which costs $400 plus labor. I say I'll leave it here and call me when you know what is wrong and I'll decide what to do. A week goes by and no call. Finally I call them friday twice and no answer, so I leave a message saying I'm picking up my bike tomorrow. The next morning I walk in and say I'm here to pick up my bike, to which they respond "you should've let us know" and "it's not fixed yet." The mechanic said they tried bleeding it a few times to no avail, but were nice about it and gave me back my bike without trying to charge me and even helped me load it up into my truck. However they still suck because I called Hall's Cycles and found out slave cylinders only cost $130.

I go home, basically disassemble the whole clutch system to see what I'm looking at and can't find anything wrong except some wear on the clutch lever that prevents it from touching the ignition switch, some misadjustment and low fluid. I take the ignition switch out so I can just touch it to turn the bike on and fill the line and reservoir with mineral oil I got from shoprite for $2.69 instead of the $20 "Magura Blood" SAE 10 mineral oil that I would have to order, put it all back together, bled and adjusted it and it has been running great all drat week. Whoo Hoo! I used to think that it's a good idea to take a just-bought used bike to the dealer once just to have it looked over, now I'm thinking of abandoning that practice.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Bucephalus posted:

Weather's nice

Lucky you. It has rained here in NJ every weekday for two weeks and is supposed to rain for a third. If I can't ride my 100 mile a day commute on my new VFR I'm not gonna go to work.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

:science:

Those things start at $5800. And they don't even make them for VFRs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

At my advanced MSF course the instructor wouldn't stop talking about how much his Harley is a piece of poo poo, said he had 45k into it just to keep it running. And the dealers forget you exist after you buy the bike except to screw you out of your warranty.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, that's bullshit. The dealers of other manufacturers all send me birthday cards and fruitcakes at Christmas. :wtc: do you mean "forget you exist"?

Forget you exist as in not honor the warranty. They classified his oil leak as not a "leak" but a "weep" which isn't covered. There was some other stuff that broke which was written off as some BS or another, like normal operation is everything falling apart. Then he heard some knocking, dealer told him nothing was wrong after taking the head off when it was a connecting rod, then the engine blew.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Deeters posted:

It was hot as balls sitting at traffic lights, though.

That doesn't make any sense, the website says it "oozes cool."

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, but it seems like they just started appearing on the roads a week ago or something. I just saw 5 or so in the last week, after having not seen any in months.

Saw my first one a couple days ago. I guess it's just like the Piaggo MP3 or a Harley/Goldwing trike in that you will see a whole bunch of bikes go by followed lastly by the lame duck riding one of these. Often the rider is obese.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Being able to lock the front when you're coming to a stop is also pretty drat cool. The one we have may have an issue when locking the front though, because you can do it if you have the bike tipped to one side. Makes it kind of scary if you lock it coming to a stop and it's not vertical.

Hahaha I keep trying to picture a dude on an MP3 locking the front while leaned coming up to a light and it's gotta be the funniest looking thing ever.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I was all sent to get angry, but honestly...that's hilarious. The "view features" page is pretty funny.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Why the hell are trials bikes 7-9000 dollars? They are 130 lbs and have little bisty engines. They should be a bit less than 200cc dual sports in my opinion so I could buy one and ride around on the sidewalk/up the side of houses.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

VTNewb posted:

Low production high performance.

Also, at the end of the season I'm selling my 01 Scorpa SY 250. Engine is perfect, the rear shock bearings have a teeny teeny bit of play, but no linkage so its really easy to do. Just got a new rear caliper.

Requires the best two stroke oils and race fuel.

$2800!

When is the end of the season?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Though if he really did manage to loop a vulcan, I'm impressed. It would mean he didnt just grab a bunch of brake locking it up but eased into a full deathgrip brake and managed to stoppie it to painville. Awesome.

He was probably so overcome with fear that right after he touched the infernal lever he just jumped off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

aventari posted:

according to 'twist of the wrist', and my experience crashing cars, you should go limp when you get in an accident. How true is this?

and of course you need to be wearing as much gear as you can get, boots especially. My A* SMX4's saved my feet in a lowish speed accident last year

I went limp when I lowsided the VFR and just let myself tumble down the road. I believe it is the reason I didn't feel the soreness the next day/day after that that they said I was going to at the ER. I guess the idea is if you tense up, you REALLY tense up and your muscles will hurt in a few days.

Also my grandfather fell down a pretty good flight of stairs once (even did a backflip) and didn't break any bones because he was limp (drunk).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

dietcokefiend posted:

Forget the legs, it feels like my balls were dipped into liquid nitrogen.

"Did I piss myself? No, I'm just that cold."

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Man I sure would love to go into my local Harley store and ask about the Daytona's top speed and wheelie abilities.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Alaska Shmalaska...all I needed was to get my new tires on and all of the sudden this storm. Weather.com always has the dumbest warnings: SNOW MAY BE EXTREMELY HEAVY AND DIFFICULT TO SHOVEL. IF YOU VENTURE OUT TO SHOVEL, DEATH. The last one was something about not realizing the PERIL OF TRAVELING IN A BLIZZARD because we don't get many here.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Anyone else notice that the only big rear end Harley riding people that actually lane split are the 1%er motorcycle club types? And they always manage to split at speeds and with finesse that doesn't seem physically possible with bikes that big?

Yeah, the only two times I saw a harley guy riding like a bat outta hell was this one dude with tats, long hair and an MC on the jacket doing double the speed limit and passing cars on the double yellow. Later I saw another guy from the some club riding just as fast with a viking helmet on. He didn't return my wave.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Linedance posted:

no kidding! I've noticed this too, even from inside another car. It's almost easier to read their speedo than your own!

People have told me they make cars like that so it's easier for cops to catch you speeding. It's probably not the case, but I'm sure a ticket or two has been issued that way. Priuses...Priui..um...The Prius has them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Slim Pickens posted:

I heard the companies collaborate with the NEW WORLD ORDER to make speedos inaccurate so that they get a cut of the profits made from speeding tickets from the world government. By the way, have you guys seen a movie called loose change?

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I'm looking at Mini Coopers for my next car, since their center-dash mounted speedos can barely be read by the driver, let alone the man. Plus, you know how they offer different "dash trim" and such from the factory? A certain one blocks the cops from seeing the read outs.