Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Sooo.... Vespa's hosed, but other than that?

Seriously though, I don't see how the states would be able to get away with a 100% duty - the WTO would probably have a few words to say about that.

Edit: Oh right, dirtbikes :doh:
Looks like the WTO's already had words with the EU over their beef ban

But still, fuuuuuuuuck. Poor KTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I stand in school zones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

`Nemesis posted:

It helps to have a GPS unit to find out how to get back home though :)

Aw heck no. It is a adventure. :downs: (As long as you don't run out of gas)

My dang klr has had the engine out flappin in the wind for the past couple of nights. I'm reasonably certain a doohickey change isn't supposed to go this long but I keep hitting stuff I should have had or known about beforehand and can't rectify until the morrow. If I'm like this with one of the most popular and well-supported bikes in north america I shudder to think how I'd handle a moto guzzi.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

gently caress

FUUUUUUCK

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

I think I hang out at the local Duc dealership too much. It makes me feel guilty for not owning one :(

I'm not looking forward to going back there later this year, if the numskull I talked to was representative of their hiring practices

That is unless I can talk to the mechanics instead of a chucklefuck who's only ever owned a shop-maintained 749 and doesn't like to read

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I talked to one of the senior salesmen in the Eurobike section of the local giga-dealer, he says he's planning on setting up a V7 Classic for demo rides. Should I sign up, or should I really sign up?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I know I still fit well on a ZRX, I had to pass one up at a dealer today. :smith: I can't justify the financial outlay to myself right now, especially when I have a working bike.

But it was so clean! And the price wasn't even bad for a dealer! 6 large for an 03? I've seen worse on craigslist. Argh.

Anyone have better one-that-got-away stories?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I just took a Guzzi V7 Classic for a test ride, and I'm kind of conflicted. I probably don't have the broadness of experience under my belt to be able to judge it objectively. It was fun, but I don't think it was as fun as I was hoping. See, it's pretty nimble, and it's got a friendly, approachable powerband, pulls pretty strongly through the portion of the rev range I was able to access. It's just that to me, my KLR feels pretty similar.

The V7 looks and sounds a hell of a lot better, of course, and it does pull stronger, but not much stronger, and it actually vibrates through the pegs a lot more in the upper reaches. Also, I guess I've been pretty spoiled for ergos. I'm sorta tall, and in my bulky overpants my legs felt tucked up a good deal more than I'd felt just sitting on it in the showroom. Getting back on the Kawi was like riding a goddamn bar stool. Gonna have to doublecheck position on anything else I'm looking at.

I did find out one interesting thing - either the longitudinal twin produces a lot of torque steer, or my rev matching sucks rear end, because every time I let off the clutch too fast the bike kind of twitched to the left. Actually glad I wasn't on something with more power.

Honestly, I think I can take it off my short list for bikes-in-the-future - for me I believe it'd be too much of a crossgrade for more money. That's not to say it's not a great bike; I think it is. It's just not one I need.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 26, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those wheelesque things better be loving hovergenerators

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

What's weird is the robot cop chasing in the beginning had a hovercycle and 10 years later he was riding around on wheels, I told my date "It looks like motorcycle technology has regressed".

Only Robocops get hovercycles

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Why don't we just get all automotive and call the SMT a crossover? :)

You mean a wagon?

Actually that's a really apt comparison; this SMT is to UJMs as crossovers with truckish styling are to your mom's old woodpanel. :iiaca:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

That is cool, why don't we get those :(

Possibly Yamaha feels the market is locked up for 600+cc comfortable enduros

Friggin' Yamaha, I bet the new Tenere didn't have like five separate recalls its first year

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

a lanky V Twin with knobbies

The Tenere's a thump, like the rest of the 660's? Single cylinder.

A v-twin built like the KLR or the Tenere would be hell of such as neat. I think the only examples like that that we see here are the large KTMs and the Stroms. Personally I already think of the enduro segment as SUVs, especially since there's a large portion of it that never really sees the offroad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the difference between a BMW rider meet and an upside-down porcupine, etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrKatharsis posted:

It's made by Canadians, who are instinctive snowmobilers. That's about the only logic I can attach to the design.

I think everyone who talks about the Spyder makes this deduction. Lord knows I have.

See, now what Bombardier has to release is the Embrio. And then maybe a five-wheeled car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And sometimes they carry stuff you can't easily find online, or that would be prohibitive to ship, like tires. I bought my topcase at a local dealer because I knew what I wanted, couldn't find anywhere selling it outside Ebay, and one of the Ebay dealers turned out to be this place I liked going to anyway.

So I've been getting insurance quotes on the range of my next biek, and it turns out insurance prices are hosed. The two cheapest places I've talked to so far, an '05 FZ6 runs about $80 less to insure than an '08 KLR.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

vtnewb posted:

RZ350
There's been two for sale here in the past week. It's mental.

So um how does one go about penning two bieks up together in the same garage, especially when one is coming in as a replacement for the other one? A bit of territorial posturing is of course inevitable but I don't want fights breaking out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

So have any spy shots of the actual 2010 blast leaked out, or are they just dropping the line entirely?

I doubt they'll drop it, given the Blast is basically the supply for the Harley version of the MSF. They've certainly got me wondering what the new one's going to look like.

Anyone else thinking this is what you'd get if you hired Top Gear to do your motorcycle marketing?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Less Leonard Skeonard and more bieks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, man. Like I didn't have enough reasons to stay awake in the middle of the night consumed with dread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're real determined to get a VFR, the big-four dealer that's honda-focused should be able to get one in for you, it's not like there's none left in the country. You might not get the deal on it that you would on an in-stock bike, though.

Actually I'm surprised you'd have trouble finding one, honda's been in the process of consolidating their dealerships into single-brand houses like car dealers do, which to my mind would make it easy to find at least one of every honda. If your dealers have managed to avoid the powerhouse curse but still have 2009/2010 product, that's actually kind of interesting in its own right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just got back from a weeklong ride to Vancouver Island. Will eventually post pictures, as well as from earlier rides this summer. Thanks to Simkin for the bomb around Victoria, and to the vicissitudes of mother nature for the holy gently caress incredible amounts of whales.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yamaha's 2010 US and Canadian models are out on the respective websites. Looks like they've ashcanned the FZ6 and the autoclutch FJR.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honda hasn't released its full line yet but America's getting the Dullville. 650-class V-twin, shaft drive, and integrated hardcases? If I didn't already have a Strom I'd be very interested.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

the SV's dull, drab older cousin.

Like I said, I already have a V-Strom :haw:

But really, if it really is boring as heck to ride, I have to question their logic. I've already read that it's supposed to be filling the less-threatening midsize tourer niche that the elimination of the VFR800 is leaving, but it doesn't really seem to be a good replacement if that's the case.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

You are mistaken

The Ninja 250 was never meant to be ridden off cliffs, or over open water

The Ninja 250 cannot make you a cheese sandwich

The Ninja 250 will gently caress up horribly if asked to be the best man at your wedding

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw dang and I sold my sherpa like two years ago

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's easy to quell the occasional pangs of jealousy when you're cackling your head off riding up the steps to the courthouse plaza

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OrangeFurious posted:

I don't understand how someone could turn a Vincent Black Shadow into this:

I know, the builder is called Redneck Engineering, so I kinda get that their idiots, but still. A Black Shadow?

http://www.bikeexif.com/classic-motorcycle-auction

In the words of Tim Kreider, "O, the fuckers, the fuckers."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought they already had a KTM branding iron, it was called "the exhaust on the 690".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I spent an entire week of above-zero temperatures and dry roads driving the car to work, because of a goddamn virus. (Not that one, just a bastard of a cold.)

Here's hoping for the mother of all chinooks sometime in November.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And a heck of a lot easier than the eightfold path.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Oh my god it just hit me, you want a Kawasaki Concours.

I will own one of these, unless gas runs out first. And I will ride it up and down the Coquimotherfuckinghalla and not feel at all like an insignificant worm daring to approach such a mighty highway. I will ride it up and down the Coquihalla and the drone of the road under my tires and the beat of the wind on my helmet will whisper, "Yes, my lad. That is Enough Bike."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Know what's awesome? Having a bike all set up for touring and being laid off with a fair amount of money set aside.

Know what's less awesome? Bein' laid off in the dead of winter.

e: No I am not studding my tires you lunatics

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

The roads are clear!

The main roads are clear in town and I've gone out riding the last couple of days. The best part was the triple-take from the cop going around the corner.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^ In Florida? Crocs, sure, old people in huge cars, sure, but bears?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Forgive me, CA, for I have sinned. I did not go down a road that I normally enjoy, but instead pussed out, because it was windy and I didn't want to fight to stay on the road.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So what actually contributes to the extended intervals? Are they using better-wearing materials in the valve seats these days (or whatever else it is that wears to change valve clearance)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it helps assuage the guilt any, most DS bikes tend to be underpowered compared to more regular bikes

That huge fuckin' Ducati notwithstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Need to mount a unicycle on a rack on that bicycle.

Hang a pair of rollerskates off the unicycle.