Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Raven457 posted:

15 motorcycle crashes
12 transports to the ER
9 serious injuries
3 fatalities
How many of these are from the "Helmet law is against MY FREEDOMS" club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The fees for speeding are relatively low in Sweden, but you can easily lose your license.

In your case you were going more than 40kph over on a 50kph road, which means you'd lose your license for at least a year and get served with a reckless driving charge which carries a penalty of up to 30 day fines and up to 2 years in prison. Prison time is rarely given for first time offenders though.

Suspending your license is at the discretion of our DMV equivalent, between 1 month and 3 years, although if you're charged with reckless driving it's a minimum of 1 year. If it's 1 year or longer you won't get it back automatically after the suspension either, you need to take new theory+driving tests.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

zapateria posted:

Doesn't Finland have some percentage of your income as fines? Would be fun to see some 1%'er from the US be fined a million dollars for speeding.
Yep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_fine

Sweden uses it as well, and the value of the day fine is based on your income, dependants, children, saved fortune, etc.

Our law also has a nice little clause which says if your standard of living noticeably exceeds your taxed income level the court will assume you're lying about your income and adjust the fine accordingly. (And probably sic a tax audit on you)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

No, sadly we don't. At least not for traffic violations.
Not for speeding alone, but for reckless driving.

https://lagen.nu/1951:649

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I kind of want to ride that just to feel how it handles.
Probably like poo poo since the entire frame is unsprung and the springs are only connected to the seat.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Obviously you should spy on him and see when he goes to bed, wait an hour or two, then go park your bike under his window and rev the engine for a while. Fight fire with fire.

(Don't do this, go talk to him.)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

I like to stand and stretch any chance I get on a ride.
This is pretty much my main reason for getting off the bike when filling up as well.

In unrelated news, my bike today rewarded me with a punch in the nuts as a reminder to clutch in before kicking it into first. :downs:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm assuming they won't have all the models on the same markets. Having the 250 and a 300 on the same market seems pretty redundant.

Didn't Japan have a license limit at 400cc? If so that would explain that one at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For a bright, visible keychain go to a boating supply store and get a cell foam key chain. As an added bonus it floats if you should ever drop it in the water.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

According to the gibbis thread awfulapp is retired and betamax is now the official android app, fyi
AFAIK Awfulapp isn't updated any more, so it's unlikely it will ever work again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm simultaneously relieved and sad that my bike has a fuel gauge. Relieved because I'm always aware of when I need to refuel, and sad because I'll never have a good "That time I ran out of gas on the on-ramp.." story.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does robertson screws have any significant advantage over hex or torx screws, except ease of manufacture?

I'm personally a big fan of torx, largely because it neatly sidesteps the whole ISO/ANSI issue by disconnecting torx sizes from real world measurements.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

From what I can tell, motorcycles have a 0-5% import duty (depends if it's over 30 years old or not), plus 10% GST of the original country purchase price, plus a $50 application fee.

That 2-3 months thing does sorta suck, I'll have to look into that.

Getting it complianced (if necessary) is another possible hurdle. I know it's possible and not awful to do for a bike (saw a number of in-America, pre-compianced and ready-to-be-shipped Harleys on Aussie eBay), but may be something I need to go to a licensed shop to do and pay an arm and a leg for.
Take the bike apart, ship it not as a whole bike but as a collection of spare parts.

Put it together, register it as a custom build (if that's possible in .au) and dodge all the vehicle import BS.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ThatCguy posted:

If he's looking more "street" the F800s/ST is also really not that imposing for a newbie rider.
We used the F800R on my motorcycle training. They're really easy to handle and would be good starter bikes, but the BMW brand tax generally puts them outside of starter bike price range.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ThatCguy posted:

Looking at sales numbers, in 2010 HD reported the average age of their buyers for a new bike is 59. Yea, 60 years old. Other marques aren't far off, mostly late 40's to early 50's. Kids aren't buying bikes, old people are. Old people want big cruisers.
Correction: Kids aren't buying new bikes. Young people buy used bikes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

-16C (3F) and snowing here today, and the forecast calls for -10C or lower all next week. No riding here unless you have studded tires.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would love to see a DN01 made into a proper bike instead of a glorified scooter. For some reason both the general design and that color appeals to me. :iiam:

Wootcannon posted:

My mate's dildo looks *exactly* like that.
:ms:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looking good!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"The bike goes where you look" is even more important at low speed. Keep your head up and look far ahead in the direction you want to go.

When making a slow U-turn, turn your head around as far as you can. Steady throttle and just modulate your speed with the clutch and rear brake. Ideally you shouldn't have to use the brake at all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pretty much yes. Park your bandit around the corner, stuff your gear in a backpack and walk in wearing normal clothes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

quick-swappable batteries for electric drive.
I think a promising new technology is sludge batteries where the electrodes of the battery consists of particles suspended in a conductive liquid. It would let you "refuel" an electric vehicle as quickly and easily as you fill a normal tank today by pumping out the spent liquid and replacing it with freshly charged. The spent liquids would then be recharged at the station.

If the industry could agree on a standard for quick swap batteries that could work too, but I don't really think that will take off. Besides the batteries in most plug-in electric cars aren't really mounted in easily accessible places.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pokey Araya posted:

So they were going on the highway when he slowly started feeling like he was becoming part of the bike.
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=476&picno=9678&zoom=1 :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're just weeding out the stupid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:smith::respek::sweden:

The forecast here threatens sub-zero temperatures well into april.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KARMA! posted:

I love that one day when it was sunny. Walking around without a coat? Heavenly. :swoon:
Summer in Sweden is the best day of the year.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Barfolemew posted:

One minute im browsing sensible 500cc bikes with good miles and yadda yadda. Fast forward 5 minutes im almost buying a sv 650, and the budget is allready shot to hell.

Welcome to motorbiking i guess :|
..and that's before you start looking at bags, locks, heated grips, Phone/GPS mount and so on. It's a slippery slope.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yesterday's fillup: 9.87L, 22 USD :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In all fairness the biker should have seen the skylift parked ahead and not started to pass when the car was obviously going to turn left to avoid it.

Still funny though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe toss some extras in (or if it's getting near the point of needing it, change the oil/clean & lube the chain for her), or tell her if she has any questions to give you a call? I bought my bike from a friend and he gives me tech support/advice every now and then.
Definitely ask if it's her first bike, and if so give her some pointers on how to do basic stuff herself like changing fluids, adjusting brake/clutch lever play, etc.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But then where would you put the blaring full side advertisments?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a white helmet. :saddowns:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd get a pair, then I'd have to make a t-shirt with this on to comply with local laws.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The reviews don't sound too promising though. http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=24656

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

snail posted:

If you're driving on an International Driving Permit, depending on the laws of the host country, you need to also carry your national drivers license with you as supporting information. The IDP itself is a pretty limited document. At least in Australia, when your license is suspended, you're usually required to hand in the actual license card to a police station or a transport department.
The IDP is basically just a translation document that explains how to read the license, it's not valid for anything by itself. At least mine explicitly says it's not valid unless shown together with a valid national license.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This should be in a sticky in the forum.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Back protectors look cool, that's why.

Summer is finally starting to give Sweden a few cautious looks, so I'm seeing more people on gixxers and CBRRRRRs riding in shorts/slacks, t-shirt and sneakers. They'll wear a helmet because they have to, and usually a back protector with flashy styling.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most people wear sensible gear, but we have our share of squids too. Squids mostly only come out on really sunny days though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deeters posted:

Every year they try to do some combined ride where everyone submits how many miles they rode that day. It used to be called "Million Mile Monday", and they aimed for some large number.
So their aim is to get something like 50,000 riders, given that the average Harley gets ridden about 20 miles per year?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I actually don't know if splitting is legal in Sweden or not, but that doesn't stop me from splitting and using every advantage I can to get in front of queues. I've never had anyone be a dick, it's more common than people move out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, maybe another time in life.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/3916875669.html
It went from painful to jesus christ, I can't even ride five miles without being in agony over the course of two weeks. Just loving kill me already. :cry: Unfortunately, no other transportation means I need to get rid of it yesterday. :suicide: Angry? Doesn't even come close to how I feel.

Wow, that sucks. It doesn't work on a bike with a different seating position (like a cruiser) either?