Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

redscare posted:

Add bears to the list of things that will kill you

Have had to dodge more than one black bear riding up to my fav swimming hole. Uncle of mine had a similar experience as that guy only he didn't die and it was a deer. He has no use of the left half of his face, has god only knows how many bits of surgical steel holding him together and because of his limited mobility will never ride again. As for the deer, well, highway speeds and a big touring Harley pretty much tore it in half. This was in Montana and the highway side ditch had grass high enough to completely hide the deer until it stepped right onto the road. Saw the pics once :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

redscare posted:

Yeah but everyone knows that deer are the suicide bombers of the animal kingdom. Black bears don't quite have that same rep.

Of course this bear probably wouldn't have killed the rider in question if he'd been wearing a lid, but its Florida, maybe 10% of the people there wear one.

True enough ... although the ones here (BC) would give you the bird if they could instead of getting the gently caress outta the road! Doesn't say which injuries killed the poor soul but you have to wonder. Just reading the comments under the story and I can't believe people still actually defend not wearing a bucket.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

I have questions for Some dumbass:

So, you have to specifically ride a 'good ole American' Harley to know this? Does this work for International Harley riders? How much of the Harley needs to be made in the US for this to apply? What if I was a Chinese female riding a Harley made in the US through northern Italy? Are you protesting cars? What colour is the sky for you?

*sigh*

On to better things ... I was wondering how many of you ride in charity runs and if so, for what? I am riding in the Vancouver BC ride for life later this year. Was wondering if there are any goons out there who'd care to ride along (I know, I know I already started a thread for that) but also looking for other relatively local rides I might enjoy a ride too and participate in.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

The bear probably overtook him, then merged into him.

:golfclap:

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Hey gang. I am participating in a Ride to live. A ride to collect money for cancer research. I won't give you the usual cancer sob stories that gave me reason to do this but if you can spare a buck or two it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
http://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1852&AID=963&PID=118417

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Gnaghi posted:

God dammit I really feel like carrying steel shot in my bag to flick over my shoulder.

I have a friend in the early 90's who worked as a motorbike courier in downtown Vancouver. Rode some mangled 80's dirt bike made street legal. (Well, legal for the time it took to be inspected - not sure about the rest of the year) He used to carry one of those old steel U-Locks. Kept the 'U' part in his bag and the bar would hang from his left wrist on a lanyard attached to the key. The key was such that it didn't come out without the 'U' part in the lock. This left him with a 2lb 8" long cylinder of steel on about 8" of paracord. More than a few careless cab drivers have some serious hood dents about that same size.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

ohwandernearer posted:

So over in the gear thread someone called Z3n out about being an IT nerd. I am also an IT nerd and ride with a group of people from my department. Is there a strong influx of tech people into motorcycling lately? Has this always been the case? Are we all so numb from programming/configuring/scripting/etc. that we need the release? Just wondering if this is coincidence or a trend or something else.

God I hope so. I am a graphic artist and sign maker and have many IT and 'geek' job friends none of whom ride. Perhaps I should get them to hang out in here for awhile...

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

Use CAD to design a tank that warms and gently cups your balls.

I'd buy one

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

So I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

Don't tell me you forgot to replace the seafoam in your tires?? :rolleyes:

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Oakey posted:

Reason #427 that riding a motorcycle is better than a car:

If you notice the guy in front of you has left his gas tank open, you can just close it for him.

Done this. Why does helping people while wearing all the gear make me feel like a bit of a super hero?

"No ma'am, no need to thank me. All in a days work." Flies Rides off into fake sunset

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

:what: What? Its not sticking.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Yuns posted:

To the best of my knowledge, New York requires turn signals and even mandates how far apart they should be. An acquaintance of mine was stopped by the NYC police at one of NYC's notorious seasonal motorcycle checkpoints some time ago and cited among other things for having his turn signals too close together.

Same here in BC Canada. Has to have turn signals and they have to be 3" apart from each side of the brake light. Though I've seen loads of rides with those LED all in one stop/turn lights and never heard of anyone getting ticketed. I was stopped the other day for a license check of all things. The cop was very friendly and told me they find one in three riders doesn't have a class 6! :siren: He had at least a dozen bikes being loaded onto a flatbed truck. :siren:

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cust...35e7377dc#v4-33

hmm ... no warranty you say?

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Dial M for MURDER posted:

While I agree that throttle control is more important on bikes than on the other vehicles I listed, I would disagree that twisting leads to a finer control. Phat Albert does bring up a good point about front braking and throttle at the same time. I also agree cruising would probably suck with a thumb throttle, it seems that the wrist doesn't fare much better on standard controls.

Edit: I've only logged an hour maybe on an ATV, maybe 2 for jet ski and maybe like 20 hours on a snowmobile. Maybe someone with more experience on an ATV could comment.

Grew up riding jet skis and small personal watercraft and IMHO a wrist actuated throttle gives vastly greater control. Its all about subtlety. Not that most of the small fun based watercraft have much of a speedometer of any kind but I would doubt most people could adjust their speed by +/- 5km/h reliably whereas on my bike I can control in even finer increments. Its just not that important on a back woods trail or in the water.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Xenoid posted:

Where are you? I know loads of people here in BC don't actually have a motorcycle license. I was taking the MST with a guy that have been riding for 15 years and never bothered to get it and I'll let you guess what kind of bike he had.

I'm a BC rider and I have been caught in police road inspections a couple times. All they are looking for is the guy without a class 5. The officers have always been friendly and got me back on the road again quickly. Last trap was out in Langley and they must have had at least 20+ bikes loaded on a flat bed tow truck.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
I keep my arches on the pegs in traffic as it's easier to shift/brake on my ancient Suzuki. Doing highway hours (like my last summer trip to Montana-8 hours per day, two days each way) it's all heels then toes. Just like my butt; have to keep moving to avoid the chainsaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Had some asahats in an ancient camaro chase me down then pass me at ridiculous speeds when I pulled off to give them the entire road. They then turned off the main drag and down a hill which gave me a broad view of the house roofs and power poles. One pole in particular was of interest as, following a resounding screech, shook violently along with a terrible crunch. I sighed and called emergency services and drove down the hill to keep two complete drunk idiots company while the sirens approached. Car was totalled. Both of them were covered in cuts and bruises but awake and lucid.

On a related note: when I drive a car and see anything I consider remotely aggressive driving towards a bike on the road I will impose my vehicle in to give the bike some cover. I think I've had a car driving rider give me better treatment than other cars before. Kharma bitches.