Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Harley is expected to offer ABS, yet the rider isn't supposed to invest the time/money in learning how to panic-stop without locking their brakes, or in purchasing and wearing proper protective gear that would mitigate potential injuries in a crash (Harley rider, both are probably pretty safe assumptions). :ironicat:

I'm in two minds about this. First mind says, gently caress you bike rider that doesn't know how to close his right hand properly (if that's even where the front brake lever is on those tractors) but the second mind says their is a case against Harley for not supplying ABS. I've never had a bike with it on, but if it works, and it works well, there's no reason not to put it on a road cruiser at all. Aside from FREEDOM, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
My bike has just been robbed off the road. loving aresholes have just got themselves a mint condition bike, since it's barely been ridden.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Just Horizontal posted:

My bike has just been robbed off the road. loving aresholes have just got themselves a mint condition bike, since it's barely been ridden.

Aaand it's been recovered. No idea in what state or how yet though. Chuffed with that response time though. Will update tomorrow!

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Does "robbed" mean "stolen"? Or was it actual robbery? Either way, sorry to hear. Hope it's recovered safely and you're ok.

Thankfully just stolen, as opposed to robbed. It's been parked on this road since Tuesday and was stolen on Thursday, in a 2 hour window whilst I was at the gym. I've rung the recovery agents and I'm going to go and pick it up in half an hour. The guy on the phone said the disc lock was still on, so it doesn't sound like they've had much chance to mutilate the bike when it was recovered by the police. The guy also let me know about the £150 charge attached to having my mint condition bike stolen.

I think I might bump my insurance coverage up now I no longer live on a safe and sheltered island.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Skreemer posted:

I know a guy that visited his family in Albuquerque NM and got his bike stolen twice within the 5 day period he was there

My imagination and this story is exactly why I'm going to go straight home from uni today and put my bike in a garage where it belongs.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
Got it back, it's covered in fingerprint powder, so it looks rough but I can't see any major damage to the fairings or anything. The steering lock's been snapped and the piky cunts must have missed the disc lock on the back because they've damaged something on the rear brake that's caused the caliper to come loose. I've had a quick look over it, but can't work out what's broken/missing.

Other than that, the bike's how I left it, thankfully. I'm now sat in the lounge, with a direct view of my bike only 25ft away. I won't leave poor baby alone again :(

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011
Cheeky motherfuckers tried it again tonight!

I'd parked my bike right outside my flat 20 ft away from my lounge window and had put my bicycle D lock on the front wheel as well as having a disc lock on the back. I was waiting for my mate to get home so I could move the bike to his and off my road, so in the mean time I was behaving like the US Army's finest ranger and sat sentry in front of the window all evening. To my shame, I moved into the comfort of the sofa and out of eye line of my bike, but I heard a van ticking over at half 11, and stuck a head to the window to see a transit on the road with one pikey inside with the back doors open and two other cunts trying their best to move my bike.

Making like the finest of English gents, I ran out in my slippers and gave them my finest "Oi!" and I've never seen people scarper so quickly. I threw one guy to the floor which resulted in him dropping my bike and the other hopped in the van. I tried to get the number plate, but went to the wrong side of the van, and by the time I'd gone back to the other side, the fella I threw over had jumped into the back of the van and they started to drive off with the back doors open which resulted in me taking chase like the T1000 trying to get abreast of the van so I could see the number plate. I only got the first two characters unfortunately and got back to a bike with a now broken brake lever and stuck throttle :(

The bike is now safe, and is safely parked in my friend's dining room and my dad's coming tomorrow with a van of our own. loving pikey bastards.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

M42 posted:

Good loving god drat, dude. Where do you even live?

Yeah a small town in the UK. The area of town I live in is mostly populated by students, so robberies and thefts peak now, as it's out of term time and there's a lot of unattended property.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What the hell bike do you have? Is it made of solid gold or something?

Its only a Honda CRF250L, but before these boys tried nicking it, it was in mint condition and anything that looks like an off roader is prime pickings for gypsies because they love the things. Unfortunately, they're probably mistaking it for one of Honda's better and much quicker CRF models. They probably wouldn't bother if they knew how uninspiring the engine was.

e: Also, thanks for all of the concern guys. It's nice to know there are decent people out there that value a man's motorbike as much as I do.

Just Horizontal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 20, 2014

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Oh if you're dealing with students and not just gyppos then you need something bigger than a shotgun with rock salt. By any chance have you seen a little movie called Dirty Harry?

Nah, we're dealing with gypises, it's just they're attracted to the students that live around here - me included. I'd very much like to do many things Dirty Harry would approve of as well. I've been sat here wondering if there was a way I could have inflicted physical pain and defended my bike. Unfortunately, on my way out to confront them, I figured that if I did get into a fight, I'd only just get beaten up by the three of them, for them to then make off with my bike. So I went for the low contact approach that guaranteed property retention.

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, I know it fits the perfect definition on a vulnerable bike on the road, but you wouldn't catch me going this mental over a 250. I could understand if it was a KTM or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Horizontal
Jul 11, 2011

Minkee posted:

Well goons welcome me to the stolen bike club.

Who the gently caress steals a 1994 Suzuki GS500e?

Best part is that it was parked next to a Buell Blast with the keys in it that runs. It just shows you no one wants a Buell Blast.. Even someone stealing a bike.

"ew buell, i'll just steal this gs500"

Sorry to hear pal :( If you hang around the Buell enough, they might come back for it and you can kick their asses when they come and get lethal vengeance.