Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

First ride of the year, :feelsgood:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

There's also the Ninja 650 if you prefer faired, redesign in '09 really made it a decent looking bike.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

MSF in 35 minutes. Excited. Been wanting to do this for years.

Keep your head up, don't look down, look where you wanna go, rest is gravy.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Odette posted:

Just got my 250 back, after having a 500 loaner for a while.

My god, it rides like pig poo poo. I feel like I own a cheap toy now. :(

And so it begins.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

I am confused, aren't most motorcycle saddles locked down?

I think you misread his post. He's saying to remove the seat to discourage theft of the bike, not the seat.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Elviscat posted:

Harley's been marketing blacked out bikes for awhile now, and they looks tits, IMO, I'm not a big fan of chrome, and I think the traditional Harley guys will stick with the chromed-to-hell electras and road kings.

The Nightster is the first Harley I've seen that I liked. Just needs the covers painted, no idea why they powdercoated them grey. Might get one when I'm older and fatter.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I was going down the highway, no other cars around, I'm tired, decided to try laying on the tank. Scootched my rear end back, laid on the tank bag. Everytime I looked at the speedo I was going faster than I meant, from less drag and all I suppose. I see a couple cars in the distance, one in the left lane going exactly the speed limit, should've given me a clue as to what the other car was, but I didn't think much of it. Looked at the speedo, going 70, slowed down a bit. Pass the first car, then realize the second car is county sheriff. fuuuuuuu. Speed limit is 55, speedo said 66-67, probably more like 62 or so. I figured slowing down then and pacing him would be more suspicious/disrespectful than anything else so I just said gently caress it and kept going and passed him, slowed down a little bit more though. He got behind me for a mile or two, but pulled off without pulling me over.

I wish I could find one of those big radar signs so I could see just how far off my speedo is.

Digital_Jesus posted:

The gently caress is all this poo poo? I just WoT and the front pops right up.

I tried this, I just went faster :smith:.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Razzled posted:

The future is Tom Cruise's bike from Oblivion! Fold-out controls and totally electric!
:krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLxqkvfMsQQ

Halfway there.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Maybe he needs an orientation on which way to get oriented.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Had fun this weekend. Went to Foothills Parkway, spent some time there. It's a fun road, great views, no driveways, commercial traffic, restaurants, etc. I Passed a Mustang GT at one point and a group of riders behind me did as well, so I started pushing the bike harder, got my tire scrubbed pretty close to the edge, there isn't much rubber left untouched. Need to work on my body positioning, I don't move around on the seat much but I do make sure to get my upper body over. Also the brakes/suspension suck, but that's a given.

New phone also takes really nice pictures.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I find moving my arse over a little bit (only an inch or so) makes it much easier to keep weight on the inside peg and so settles the bike mid-corner, but obviously that's a matter of personal taste and/or peg and seat design.

(I posted last week that I'd "fixed" a handling problem that had been caused by me at some point forgetting to do this)

Yeah I shouldn't have said "need to", but I want to, I like improving myself and doing things the right way. I may keep the Ninja 500 and turn it into a track bike when I upgrade, I'd likely learn more (and more safely) in a day there than I will in years on the street.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Tanbo posted:

Had fun this weekend. Went to Foothills Parkway, spent some time there. It's a fun road, great views, no driveways, commercial traffic, restaurants, etc. I Passed a Mustang GT at one point and a group of riders behind me did as well, so I started pushing the bike harder, got my tire scrubbed pretty close to the edge, there isn't much rubber left untouched. Need to work on my body positioning, I don't move around on the seat much but I do make sure to get my upper body over. Also the brakes/suspension suck, but that's a given.

New phone also takes really nice pictures.

I've been avoiding Deal's Gap even though it's fairly close to me, because I'm a relatively new rider, but with the talk about it, I decided to look at the route to get there, and I realized the North end starts like 5 minutes from this location, I actually started heading that way because I saw a sign about a Dam but decided to head on back. That would've been funny if I'd ended up going that way.

:downs: "Guys I found a totally awesome road!"

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

M42 posted:

Dang, that's the nicest looking 500 I've ever seen.

Thanks. It does look nice for a 500. Most I see have really 80s paint jobs and color schemes that don't work well at all.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Had one of those, lost it so now I just use these cause I won't be so annoyed if I forget or lose it. I prefer the rounded ones. Piece of rope with a loop in the end to put over the handlebar for quick retrieval and good to go. One under the seat, one in the tankbag. In the (gravel) driveway I just use an old license plate.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Came through a turn this today on my way home and there was a dead possum right in the center of my line. Stood it up a bit and went a little wider and cleared it. Always good to have reminders why you don't push too hard on the street. I'm also glad I've been working on turning in later and taking a later apex, it really increases your visibility around turns.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Akion posted:

Buy a Supermoto and get that sweet, cheap dirtbike insurance.

That would involve having a supermoto though.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

slidebite posted:

Had a guy in a Harley Sportster 48 try to "race" me at the lights yesterday. Pulled out from a side street behind him onto a main road and he was put-put-puting along, so I passed him only to be held up at a light a block up.

Gives me this :geno: look at the light, it turns green he's right on it. He hits forth gear before I leave first and I'm just opening up the throttle enough to pace with him, I'm not even trying to outrun him :lol:

I think he was seriously trying to race, but it was just so slow, why would he even try? :confused: Even most Harley owners have to know they don't stand a chance against a big I4, don't they?

Right now, there's someone on a Harley forum bragging about how he tied beat someone on one of dem' ninjers :clint:.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Dang, that sucks man.

Put it on Craiglist. "Runs a little rough, just needs a tuneup and a little TLC."

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

SoA is just a soap opera as far as I can tell.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Get a gun.

Sounds like the UK.

Shotgun sounds like a good solution if it wasn't. I've got a 12 Gauge for "social activities".

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 20, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Sold the Ninja 500, sold after 6 weeks in the middle of winter for the same price I bought it for (2k). Not bad for a bike I bought, dropped twice (no damage except barends) , rode a year+, then moved up. Probably could've got more if I waited til spring but meh. A lot of people I know/work with were interested in buying it, just didn't have the money or couldn't justify a "toy". Wanted to do payments to me but no, you wanna borrow money go to a bank. I do believe they had the best of intentions but poo poo happens, and life doesn't always go as planned.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

M42 posted:

Nice sale, congrats! What's next?

2013 Ninja 650, picked it up a couple months ago, got a good deal on it, it was the guy's father selling it for his son who was deployed so he let it go pretty cheap. Not exactly a huge leap power wise, but I don't really need much more power, just wanted a more modern, better looking bike really.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

2015 year of continued Versys supremacy :fella:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2015-kawasaki-versys-650-abslt-first-ride-review.html

"At the end of the day, riding this new version has done nothing to change my long-standing assertion that, given riders of equal skill, there are very few motorcycles capable of pulling-away from a Versys 650 over a twisty road. Of the bikes that could (KTM Super Duke 1290 R, BMW S1000R, Superbikes, etc), none would be nearly as affordable to buy and insure, nor as friendly and easy to operate for everyday use."

That actually sounds pretty good, especially for the price. FJ-09 still calls to me though. Sweet sweet triples.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Took me a while to figure out what you guys were talking about because in my mind this is a slingshot.

I assumed it was another term for banana hammock. Biek gear :science:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Cold spell ended quickly, broke 50F today, supposed to be in 60s and even up to 70 later this week.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 7, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Someone buy my old one. It only leaks a little.

What does it taste like?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Razzled posted:

Guys riding season is starting and it's awesome. Sunday was 78 degrees and sunny. I want to take a loan out and buy an MT-09.

Restraint hngggg

That or the FZ version is totally going to be my next bike.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Coworker confirms you can wheelie a Ninja 300. Go For It.

You can wheelie anything with 2 wheels if you want it bad enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWfoeqK9S8

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

revmoo posted:

No, but it's for-sale if I can get the right price (unlikely). Probably just end up keeping it. It's a lot easier to get a 12-pack home on the scooter than the ninja.

ABS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_UkAFW6cA

I don't know why I read the comments.

But you can't do stoppies.

My friend was killed by ABS, he got rear ended by a bus.

I stopped there.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

Also, last lesson learned for today: I think I need a bigger bike.

This is never not true.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah Deal's Gap is about an hour away, but not much to do out that way, it's a twisty road right in the middle of mountains in between the major cities, so not really a whole lot out there. On the TN side, you can go from the gap to Foothills Parkway (nice road anyway, recommended, sweepers mostly), then go east down 321. About 40 minutes to Pigeon Forge, south of there is Gatlinburg. South out of Gatlinburg is 441/Newfound Gap which is is more of a scenic ride over the mountains, pretty nice. If you're going that way, there's a bypass on the spur right before Gatlinburg to get there. Lots of touristy things to do there, Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge.

M42 posted:

Me and two buddies of mine are trailering our bikes down to Deals Gap for july 4th weekend. I am SO PUMPED :D

I'd meet up with you, but no loving way I'm going anywhere near the gap on a weekend, much less a holiday weekend. I'm spoiled from my weekday early morning rides up there.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 24, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

That doesn't look fun, especially going downhill.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I pulled out of a gas station today, was a cop behind me on the road I was pulling into, I just ignored him and did my thing. 5 minutes later I go to change lanes and he's sitting there in my blind spot like an rear end in a top hat. Probably watching me.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Intelligent people for patrol officers? That's like saying I wish the guy bagging my groceries was smart, it's a poo poo underpaid job, smart people have better things to do.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Hahahaha. Someone spent a quarts worth of oil to give you a new line of text next to your Internet comedy forum handle

He who smelt it, dealt it. :colbert:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I wave at scooters if they wave first, I feel all :smith: when I see it.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

I'm certainly having a fun time learning how to DD my Yamaha. Of course, picked a fine week of back to back typhoons to do it. I've lent my scooter out, so I no longer have that for grocery runs. I'm curious how you guys handle grocery shopping and what not on a bike. Do you just buy less? I'm thinking of buying another pannier/tub thing to put on the other side of my bike so I have two. The one I have holds about 5 liters or so, but is useless if I shove all my wet gear into it.

I just take the car out once a week and do all my weekly stuff, I own my own house so a vehicle is kind of necessary.

#lazygoons

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen a few around Shoreditch and Hoxton, but cafe'd boxer BMWs remain inexplicably popular.

Also speaking of Hoxton Hipstermobiles I couldn't get my phone unlocked quickly enough to get a picture but yesterday I saw the worst bike ever again - a cafe racer (I *think* based on the Bonneville, it had an upright p-twin) with a stretched single-sided swingarm. Also the rider was wearing a Biltwell helmet and a brown suede jacket. The inexplicable thing was (to the quick look I got as it went past) it seemed really nicely put together, the (presumably custom-built) tank and tail unit looked really nicely done, and that long swingarm and Diavel-style number plate looked like a proper piece of kit too. Someone had spent a lot of money, time, or both on this bike and it looked absolutely loving terrible.

That's a new feature of my phone I appreciate, it lets you access the camera to take pictures or video while locked, it won't let you do anything else like get into the gallery/pictures though.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

nsaP posted:

Hey revmoo if you wanna meet and ride sometime you should get on synirc.net #bieks . In a few weeks I'm going to be staying at my sister's to watch her dog and it's a bit closer to Louisville so it wouldn't be as far for me to meet you around Carrollton and ride that road.

Don't do it, it's a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Lean to the outside. Put your asscheek on the outside of the seat makes slow tight turns easier.