Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Since the new question thread bars discussion and cold weather (for some of us) is approaching I thought it would be good to have a thread to chat about bikes whenever the feeling strikes. The specificity of the other motorcycle threads don't really allow it and I'm sure (some) of us will be aching to post almost as much as our joints after a cold weather ride.

To start things off, I'm debating putting a yellow headlight on my bike as per webbikeworld's recommendation but after seeing how irritating it can be when a biker with one followed me for 10 minutes yesterday I'm not so sure anymore...

Do you not remember the AI state of the union thread that was only a few months ago? Whenever we have a motorcycle general discussion thread in AI all the motorcycle content gets sucked into one huge monster of a thread. New threads don't get made, and it gets hard to read about motorcycles unless you follow the thread closely.

I just want to understand what is it about motorcycles that you NEED to have a thread to hang out in. There is not an equivalent thread to this for the car side of AI. So a little over 3 months and this beast is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

There is not a car equivalent, but there are car threads for every piddling announcement or flight of fancy. Whether it be the lower volume of riding posters, riders having more posting discretion, or something else entirely there haven't really been many/any motorcycle threads outside of the new for 2009 thread and the new question thread(other than projects). The posts in this thread probably wouldn't have been posted at all if this thread didn't exist. Discussion got barred in the questions thread to make information easier to find. This thread is specifically for shooting the poo poo, so what's the problem exactly?

If I remember correctly, sigtrap explicity stated that if we wanted a discussion thread we should make one instead of making GBS threads up the question thread. I took the advice, but if it's the colossal deal you're making it out to be this can be closed.

Those car threads for every piddling announcement or flight of fancy are called content. And it easier to go back and find a specific thread when all of the post are not in a giant 300 page thread. I'm not sure I would call what the motorcyclist here on AI do "posting discretion". Most of the post in here had they been about cars would have been made into their own thread, which makes for easy, excellent reading and browsing. But instead no one can be bothered to make a thread for these things.

You know, if AI as a whole used the same "posting discretion" that the motorcyclist did we would have 10 to 15 gigantic threads. Does that sound like a forum you want to browse in? Nothing but megathreads?

The problem is this thread is going to become the new motorcycle megathread. Which means all motorcycle content is going to end up here, in one place. We discussed that having all that content is one big thread is a bad way to do things. Already in the few post that got made in this thread we have a crash report, a set of pictures that could have gone in the pictures thread, and a quick question. That's two threads that the content didn't go into, so the black hole effect is already starting.

Thing is, those post shouldn't even really go into the quick questions thread, or the motorcycle pictures thread. If the same amount of content was about cars, they would be in their own thread, which I and others think is the better way to do things.

So the colossal deal is the motorcycle megathread was a bad way to do things and I think it hurts AI on the motorcycle side of things.

shaitan posted:

Well there are Miata threads, Subaru threads and etc so I don't see the difference. People who ride motorcycles just click and love talking about them.

Specific make and model thread versus a thread that will cover the entirety of a subject. There's nothing wrong with wanting to talk about motorcycles, that's awesome and what we are here to do. But I don't know why it has to end up in as few threads as possible.

So, why is it so hard for you guys to make threads about this? Why do you want to stick it in giant general discussion threads all the time? I suggested a subforum so it would encourage more motorcycle threads but that got shot down. We killed the old megathread in hopes of spawning new threads and you guys don't want it to stay dead. I just want to understand WHY?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

But by that criteria, no sport-tourer would ever have been successful. You can aim those criticisms at BMW K-GT, Kawi 1400GTR, ST1200, poo poo, even the VFR800, and yet they've all been successful models. Admittedly the lack of tech compared to a few of its competitors might be a mark against it, but you're knocking it because it's not what you want it to be, when the people who it is aimed at don't give a poo poo about the things you want, because they have different wants and needs for their bikes.

What are you talking about? Z3n would never do this.

Z3n I think its time you have to be honest with yourself and start to show some self restraint. It seems you only like sportbikes and supermotos. That's fine. However not every bike is a supermoto or sportbike. If someone post about a bike that is not either a supermoto or sportbike and you find yourself making a post about why its terrible, you gotta stop yourself. What's happening is you're not arguing on why the bike is terrible at what it is, your arguing at why the bike is a terrible supermoto/ sportbike when not all bikes are trying to be that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

I like just about anything with 2 wheels that I can ride.

Finally, my posts are just my opinions. Don't worry so much about what I think about something, it's not like they're gonna fail cause some jerk on the internet thinks they're doing it wrong.

That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. You and I both know I'm talking about motorcycles we discuss online, not what you ride in person. You clearly rage against anything that's not a sportbike or supermoto. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but if hate these motorcycles to the point you make poo poo up, and everyone knows you hate these motorcycles, then if you keep raging everyone they come up you're just making GBS threads up the forums and discouraging discussion. Like what happened in the electric motorcycle thread. You and several others bitched that thread dead.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Me making poo poo up is pretty amusing coming from the guy who didn't even bother to read his own references, and quoted the Motus engine weight minus the transmission.

And I'm not exactly sure what you're bitching about with the electric bike thread. There was a lot of disbelief in that thread until we got some actual solid info from people who are working in the industry or on those who are racing the bikes and started discovering the unique potential there. The last pages have been filled with people being pretty excited about what we're seeing, from Chip Yates's electric bike to the new Mission R.

So...believe whatever you want to believe, we had a pretty interesting discussion on the Motus and startup motorcycle companies. Sorry you missed it.

I slip up and misread one source, which I included so people can check me and you're going to accuse me of making poo poo up? When you bring up three points out of your own rear end and I proved you wrong with sources on each one? I make poo poo up? This is getting sad Z3n.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

-Inu- posted:

He got pulled over by Union County. No surprise really, they literally have nothing better to do than to nail people for stupid poo poo. If you get closer to US129 you're dealing with Lumpkin County and Georgia State Patrol. Both them are fairly reasonable so long as you aren't riding/speeding like a retard.
You'll have a good time. 60 and 129 are definite staples. I usually like to hit Richard Russell (348) when I'm up there -- it's a really nice road, though they've been doing construction in some areas so there may be gravel in some places.

When my main riding buddy and I go up there we usually loop around and hit 129, Richard Russell, Wolf Pen Gap (180), and finish up on 60. I personally hate 180 though and I have no loving idea why he runs it. For future reference, if you haven't been up there, don't bother. It's an old, beat up, tight tight tight, winding road with elevation changes, tar snakes, gravel, potholes, and dropoffs. No thank you.

Hey when you going up there next? I haven't been up that way in a while.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

-Inu- posted:

I'm not sure really. I'm still having issues with the R6 getting bad vibration in the handlebars. Last time I was up there my frontend had a nice slide on Fort Mountain so I don't really trust the bike for any aggressive riding.

So, I guess as soon as I can afford to rebuild my forks! We'll have to head up there sometime though.

Funny, I'm getting some clicking through my handle bars as I turn them from lock to lock so I'm pretty sure I need to replace the head bearing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Any one got any good stories to share about loving over craiglist scammers? Or loving with craiglist scammers? Basically, gently caress scammers.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've got to vent a little about selling trying to sell my bike. In the months its been on Craigslist I've been contacted by someone offering to trade a bass boat, a hunting rig whatever the gently caress that means, 3 scammers and one person that seemed legit but stopped replying to texts. In that time I've taken $800 off the asking price and still no bites. I haven't any shown it to anyone. Here's my ad so everyone can tell me why my bike isn't worth as much as I think it is: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/3997456171.html

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This too, but I was nicer about it. Do you have an ad up on SV forums?? People there would probably snap it up.

^^^n8r and I are posting the same thing today.

Let me start spamming sv rider until I can get the post count...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

EvilSlug posted:

Description as follows.
2003 SV650 with 24,000 miles. Ready to ride. Clear title, no liens. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. Street legal HID headlight. I've replaced the sprockets, chain, and clutch cable. Tire in back is two years old and tire in front was new last year. Comes with the factory service manual I bought from the dealer. You can text [number] or email me at the craigslist email with any questions. No texts or calls after 9:00 pm, thanks. I personally think that head-on shot makes your bike look like rear end.

That simple. All of that reads positive. Everything outside of what I listed there is potentially polarizing stuff that 90% of people who might buy your bike would never notice or care about. Be honest; but remember that the time to talk details is usually once you're on the phone or have them looking at it.

My god that's brilliant. Be right back.

Edit: Alright I did it. Also took your advice about the head on pic and removed it.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 3, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I am renting an Aprilia Mana 850GT. Its a pretty sweet machine so far.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've got to get the bike back to Rider's Hill in north GA today by 2:30 so I'm going to ride some more. I'll do a short write up once I get back. Especially since my SV will be my ride back. As far as the lack of clutch for low speed maneuvers? Not needed, this thing will crawl as slow as you want without having to worry about a clutch to feather. Transmission is still a CVT but its been pretty awesome so far.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

I am renting an Aprilia Mana 850GT. Its a pretty sweet machine so far.

Hey as I was typing up my little review of the bike I had an idea. Should we have a thread dedicated to quick reviews of things?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm finally posting my mini review of the Aprilia Mana GT I rented over the weekend. Jesus. Also I apologize for dropped words or mangled grammar. I tried to proof-read as best as I could.

Rental Place: Rider’s Hill in Dahlonega, GA
Rider: timid, cautious type that is rusty from not riding much this season. Also huge. (lol goon)
Route: Blood Mountain to Richard Russell Scenic Hwy
Comparison Bike: 2003 SV650 frankenbike

Rider’s Hill is in fact on a big rear end hill off the side of the road. First thing that happens to me on the bike is I just get done with my orientation on the bike and I’m riding down the hill to hit Hwy 60. I have a small panic attack as my brain shuts down for a second not knowing how to stop the drat bike. I’m so hardwired to bring in the clutch with my left hand to bring a bike to a stop that not having the clutch there on the Mana caused a mini panic as my brain didn’t know what to do. Finally as a last resort I clamped down on the front brake and the bike came to a stop without stalling, without drama at all. It’s one of those little things you have to unlearn, like trying to mash down the imaginary clutch pedal in a car with auto transmission after driving stick for so long.

Which brings me right to the best part of the bike, the transmission. Aprilia uses various terms to describe the transmission on this bike to dance around the fact that it’s a CVT some with fancy gizmos. The transmission’s party trick is the variator can hold certain ratios to simulate gears when you go into sport shift mode, but really there's no reason to bother. I'll explain why.

Pull out into traffic? Just give the throttle a twist and in just a few seconds you're up to speed. No shifting, just a continuous pull of power until you're up to the speed you want. From there on just concentrate on speed and steering. In the mountains especially it was a revelation to always be in the right rpm for power, never having to worry about shifting etc. The bike's 70 hp felt plenty to pull hard from corners as I was never left wanting for power. Although since this was a rented machine with a $1500 deductible on the insurance, that may have tempered my desire to really romp on it. Plus I'm rusty as hell since I haven't really ridden much this season.

There is a slight delay between rolling on the throttle and the power coming in. It’s not the direct connection between throttle and machine like on the SV. However, the sensation is a lot like my old GS500 in higher gears where you roll on the throttle and wait a few seconds for anything to happen. In that respect the Mana GT was much more responsive.

The bike does add some bells and whistles to the CVT to try and dispel any scooter comparisons. The transmission has aforementioned ability to have the variator (is that the right thing?) hold certain ratios on the cvt. This means you can switch to a manual mode and switch gears up and down with buttons on the left handle. I tried it for a bit, but faced with having to worry about keeping the bike in the power myself, especially without a tach! Yes the bike doesn't have a tach what the hell? But worry about keeping the bike in the right rev range, or having continuous smooth power always? For me manual mode was a 15 minute experiment and then I never hosed with it again.

Also, the left hand controls on the bike, with the buttons for shifting, display mode switch, etc. was way too loving crowded for the shift buttons to fall right to hand in the little time I had the bike. I kept hitting the horn when I wanted to shift up. I left shifting alone in that case, especially since the bike did it so much better.

The other thing the bike does is the drive modes for cvt operation. There's 3 drive modes, sport, touring, and rain. Touring is the main mode and what I left the bike in 99% of the time. Sport moved the bike's "rpms up in into the powerband", but really sport mode made the bike buzzy and angry for no discernible reason. Rain mode is supposed to soften power delivery but in practice it felt just like touring mode. In reality I played with the drive modes little because in the back of my head I knew I was on bike where the electronics were designed by Italians. I trust Italians to make brakes, steering, etc. because those deal with going fast. Electronics on this commuter bike hybrid? Yeaaahhhh, let me not push my luck.

The handling of the bike was pretty good although I was pretty conservative with my ride up and thru the mountains. Felt nicely sprung, no excessive dive, etc. The brakes were pretty grabby for me in the 24 hours I had it. I'm sure I would eventually get used to them.

The ergos were nice and neutral on the bike. You sit pretty up and down with the bars a comfortable reach in front of you. Leg room might be cramped for some, I'm not sure if I'm the best judge of that. The seat. Sometimes I loved the seat, sometimes I hated the seat. It’s miles better than the SV's flat saddle. I think my rear end has gotten soft from lack of riding. Nothing fixes that better than riding a pedal bike. Jesus.

The false gas tank storage compartment is super handy. No it won't fit a full face helmet, but all the poo poo that normally inhabits my pockets, like sunglasses case, phone, etc., I can toss in that storage compartment like it ain't no thang. Its even has a light that comes on so you can see in there at night, neat!

Going back to my SV, shifting sucked so bad! Especially once I got out of the mountains and back into town. The Mana was so easy to point and shoot where I wanted to go in traffic. Although, on my ride back thru the mountains I appreciated the SV's more aggressive ergo's for going thru tight turns and the brakes I could breath on to modulate speed. The SV also inspired more confidence to push harder in the turns than the Mana, but that could be its my bike so I don't have to worry about loving up someone elses machine.

So, if I was going to use a motorcycle as my main mode of transportation, especially if I was in an urban area, then this bike would be top of my list. That is if I didn't get a scooter instead. Scooters can do 90% of what this bike does for 70% of the price, as long as you can get over your crippling social anxiety of being seen on a scooter.

Also, shout out to Rider’s Hill. It’s an awesome motorcycle shop/rental place. Everyone was friendly. Ian, the guy who set up my rental, was super nice about getting the bike ready for me because you are apparently supposed to call the day before which I didn’t know about. Oops. Also they let me store the bike I rode up there in their shop overnight so I could take the bike that day. Can’t say enough good things about the experience I had there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nsaP posted:

Very nice writeup, I was just curious why you rented it? Was it just to try it?

Pretty much.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Call it what you want but switching to the the left track when you can be pretty well assured the car is going to ride the center line when bicycles are there because "I hoped this would convince the cars to wait, but you saw how that went" is a good practical example of crowding the center.

Yes but it also got his sister to switch sides. Lets not forget that he stayed in his lane. Why the hell aren't we bitching about the car that did such a sketchy and illegal pass?

quote:

Also, for what its worth, when you ride staggered the rider in front is on the left, alternating right and left after that - this is the MSF's recommendation not mine. Your sister should have already been in the right track if she was riding behind you and you were doing it right.

Literally the first time I've heard this.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Either I missed it or they didn't cover it when I took it. Seriously had no idea.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

This is amazing because nsap is usually the one handing out nitpicky anal-retentive advice.

That lane position diagram is awesome.

GASP. nsap is this true?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

New job starts soon so I have some time to burn on walls of text :D

Oh god...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

The last page of this thread is why I have z3n on ignore and nSap is A. being a idiot and B. quoting z3n being an idiot (this is redundant I realize).

Is there a way to see how many people have you on their ignore list?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

n8r posted:

You'd be amazed how much faster you can read CA without all the z3n fillibustering:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=7&t_forumid=236&all=#jump

HOLY poo poo. Z3n, you post a lot. Daaaammmnnnnn.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

or just posting one liners like this.

*Looks at previous posts* Yeah I'm not seeing many of these one liners. Don't get me wrong you provide a lot of helpful answers. But man when you get going...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm now down to no bike, although I can steal my pop's Yamaha Warrior if I ask nicely enough. That thing is a 1.7 liter v-twin with straight pipes. I can't stand how loud that loving bike is. However blipping the throttle at red lights to mess with people is always humorous. It cracks like a gunshot I tell you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

humorous to you, but to everyone else you look like a loving oval office.

Are you coming on to me?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

WELL I JUST HATE THESE TWO WHEELED DEATHTRAPS. I was minding my own business, a mere TWO WEEKS into bike ownership, when THE MAIN DRIVING PART of the bike broke. I mean, if they cant even get that right what are these good for. Clearly these "motorcycles" are just a passing fad.

Really though I'm hoping all my problems were chain related. It didn't look loose, but it may have been or installed wrong or some odd scenario related to it. The shop I left it with seemed like it was staffed with very skilled cycle enthusiasts. The guy who picked me up had been riding since he was a kid. I'm sure my bike is in good hands and everything will get sorted out.

You broke the chain?? :stare: That thing had had like 2000 miles on it and I've must have done the kerosene chain wax dance like 4 times. Dude you are cursed.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PM me the nsfw pics.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

drat for real? It was my first chain and sprocket install but I would like to know what I did wrong if you find out. I used a torque wrench and everything on that front sprocket. :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Master link clip installed backwards, janky riveting job, or left too many links on the chain? I dunno, hard to mess it up, those are the only things I can imagine myself potentially botching.

It was my first chain install, I didn't know I had to take links out. I thought if I ordered for SV with stock sprockets it came to size. :doh:

Coydog posted:

Coredump, I'm starting to think you are my curse. Did you fix anything else I should have them look at? :P Don't kick yourself too hard. You didn't deceive me and had no reason to believe it would fail.

poo poo if that's the case check the clutch cable. I replaced it. :downs:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

To be fair, the replacement instructions are kinda complicated. I can see where Coredump might have gotten mixed up.

Coredump is also mildly retarded as is evident by his posting.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GanjamonII posted:

Help CA, tell me its all going to be OK.
I went through some of the same emotions causing me to sell my SV650. Part of what caused me to not ride so much was I felt that squaring off my tires and putting wear on my bike just to commute was a waste of all that potential the bike had. When I borrow my dad's cruiser or times I've been on a scooter, the bike isn't whispering in my ear, "Ride like an rear end, I'm so fast, come on man" I felt much better about the idea to just commute on it. I don't know if others feel this way but I feel way more relaxed and ready to just ride down a straight road and be okay with it when I'm not on a bike geared towards any sort of performance. So I say, get a scooter. Or a supermoto and jump curbs all the time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

"You cheated on me in my dream! Apologize!" *tears*

I've lived this.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I'm single now, for different though related craziness. God I miss her.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

The triples on the daytona have holes in the middle of them so putting a set of bars on is really easy - just ground down some half inch aluminum to fit in the back of it, drilled a hole through the middle of it, machined flat a piece that sits on the top. Handlebar, re-route the cables, longer brake line, and you're good to go.
Like I understand all those words... Just not in that order. You got a pic of this setup? It's sounds pretty interesting.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Realize I weigh more than the Honda Grom's wet weight of 225lbs. Was a bit depressed. Then considered the idea that I could potentially wear the Grom as a backpack. *take off backpack, wheelie away*

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I know all the Rideapart chat was last page, and this is going to sound ridiculous. But I sometimes wonder if my tearing apart of RideApart 21 video is the reason it doesn't get listed on the "Every episode of RideApart TV so far, in one place" page.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Not Atlanta.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The hell, who did I piss off now?

The hell man. I don't even know.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I want my Vstrom fixed so I can ride :(

Same, but gs500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How well do emulators address the problem? Been thinking about them for my biek.