Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Coredump posted:

So, why is it so hard for you guys to make threads about this? Why do you want to stick it in giant general discussion threads all the time? I suggested a subforum so it would encourage more motorcycle threads but that got shot down. We killed the old megathread in hopes of spawning new threads and you guys don't want it to stay dead. I just want to understand WHY?

The thread is for discussion. Not questions, not new models, not pics. Discussion. The reason we'd keep this in one thread is the SAME reason there's a giant Miata thread; while there are many makes and models of motorcycles, just as there are three and soon four generations of Miatas, not everyone wants to discuss their one model. We had a CB Megathread for Hondas, and that made it three pages and archived. If you want, I'll open a thread for every pithy thing I can think of to discuss. It will receive one pity reply and disappear. Sometimes it's good to have the detritus in one area, because as a whole it's more interesting than it would be on its own.

The other threads still exist. I'm not sure why you think this one will make them disappear and get sucked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Round here they tend to wave by angling down (I, meanwhile, wave like a loving goober). I think it's the way dudes wave to each other to try to save face for waving being gay or something.

I imagine 100 years in the future, everything but eating steak, killing a man, or loving two women at once will be considered gay by macho guys.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zenaida posted:

You can get a windscreen to help with the pushing feeling. Here's some for the Nighthawk: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/322/ (scroll down)

I put one on my naked SV and was pretty happy with it for the short time I had it.

I really like this one:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2084/322/

Next $100 I come across and I might get one...

...EDIT: poo poo, $45 mount kit "required." That sort of loses it for me.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I was only aware of the 79-84 range of CB/CX/VF bikes that had tensioner issues, and they fixed that in the later VFs and the CB1100F, which had an aluminum tensioner.

I think the problem is made larger by the fact that older hondas tend to be a bit of a pain to do routine maintenance on (valve shimming and such), and so people lean back on the excuse that the engine was designed faultily when they never bothered to check clearances or to adjust chain tension. Sure, the tensioners fail, but I think people are lazy about maintenance at least as often, which accelerates the failure.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Simkin posted:

One does have to wonder how a person gets to that point in their riding career, with nobody telling them that they're dumber than a sackful of hammers, or having them write themselves and their bike into something large and unmoving.

But hey, at least he has proper lane position. :dawkins101:

These same people cruise up and down the beach on a literbike, wearing chromed WWI german helmets made of plastic while shifting with flipflops. Sometimes they stop by the carnival to beat up people and puff up in front of girls.

If you've ever tried to approach such a group of insular morons to talk them into any semblance of sense, you're a braver man than I. They tend to respond to the unfamiliar with violence and further ignorance, since it's all they really know. It'll take a shocking thing to make one of these people think, and unfortunately, that shock will likely come in the form of one of their friends being torn apart in a crash.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Reminds me of a great thing that happened to me last month.

I'm cruising around on a nice, sunny, day on a road that has little to no traffic on it. I've got the tunes going and all is good. I notice this car coming up behind me and I just maintain speed to she can blow by me.

The car pulls up next to me and stays there, keeping pace. I'm not really sure what the gently caress, so I just kind of ride along ignoring it. Finally after like 30 seconds I look over and this woman is looking right at me. She makes a thumb gesture backwards and I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with my bike, but she's smiling. So I look back at her backseat, and there, sitting in a car seat is this little boy with a huge "Holy poo poo" look and his eyes all big staring at me.

I wave at him and he gets a gigantic grin, and waves back. The mom waves a thanks and they take off again.

It's awesome that I made the kid's day with just a simple wave. (and I'm also glad I wear all my gear and a full helmet. I hope he remembers that.)

Ha, that could've been me twenty years ago. I remember going to Hershey Park on vacation with my parents, and my brother and I see two sportbikes slowly driving next to us in traffic. My and my brother stare at these two guys and one of them sees us when traffic gets really slow. I wave, and he turns to his friend. The friend slows down a bit, and my parents slowly start passing them. Then there's all this noise, and each rider goes by in this huge wheelie, one at a time. They had just waited for traffic ahead to clear slightly so they could wheelie for us. :)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

My money is on an extreme nail-biting problem.

Gang initiation.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Crossing intersections from sidewalk to sidewalk at 15-20mph... that's just plain not safe. Most sidewalks don't have enough of a sightline to maintain any kind of speed.

Even cycle paths have problems.. they usually don't have the sightlines either. and cars stop crossing the intersection. It's all a recipie for pain. :-/ Riding in the street is a reason to bust my rear end as well.

Not to mention it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk in some states. Although when I was 13-16, I rode my bike EVERYWHERE on sidewalks, and nobody ever gave me any trouble (never wore a helmet either, and the worst I got from the police was a "you should," which is funny since it's actually required by law in MA).

In related stupid motorcycle news, I took my bike out for a ride yesterday. I went through a few off-the-path towns, and as I was going through Norfolk, drivers started flashing me. Assuming "cops," I checked my speed, noticed I was going the limit, and just sort of passed the speed trap no problem. Cars kept flashing me. What the heck? I think, as I wave my hand over my headlight, which was fine. Then I see ANOTHER speedtrap. As I'm going 40 in a 45 and nobody's around, I wave at the cop and sort of dorkily smile (as if he could see through my helmet). In retrospect, he probably thought I was being a prick. It was like 70 out and beautiful. I was just being friendly.

Five minutes later, in the middle of Norfolk, I'm pulled over. Not speeding, not weaving, following traffic rules...

"Your registration is expired. Do you have a ride home?"

Sure enough, it expired Jan 1st.

"No, officer, I don't. Why do you ask?"

"I'm going to impound your bike."

Now, I'm in the wrong here, certainly, but I've owned this bike for the last three and some odd years, and it's not like it's stolen. The registration fee is $40. It's one thing to get a ticket, but a loving impound? They charge a ton to get poo poo out of impound.

"Do you have a ride, sir?"

"No, not that I can think of." My girlfriend is out of town with a friend, so this is true. I'm kinda glad it was.

The cop goes back to his cruiser for ten or fifteen minutes while I sit on the curb. I assume at this point he's checking to make sure the bike isn't stolen and finding out I haven't had a ticket in years for anything beyond parking violations.

Meanwhile, I'm in the center of town, so three sportbikes and a legion of harleys pass by (seriously, it's one of those 20-people long Harley parades). I just wince at all of them.

The cop comes back from his car with a written warning, and tells me to get the bike in my driveway (I'm like 20 miles from home).

Funny enough, I was going to the registry today ANYWAY for my stupid moped sticker. So it's just another $40 on top. I thank the policeman and ride off.

EDIT: Actually, it's apparently $25. I almost got impounded over $25.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 14, 2009

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

5 months is a pretty long time to have let your registration expire!

PS. Norfolk sucks, I'm glad I got out when I did ;)

Never got the reminder mailing; it appears I'm still listed at my former address with the RMV. It's not an excuse, sure, but it sure would've been nice to have that forwarded on by the new tenants.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

^^ Dude, there's a point where it just doesn't matter anymore. Four Keihin VB's or Six? It's like "Do I want nine children or twelve?" There's no difference after three that you'd notice.

Bucephalus posted:

I hate carburetors.
I hate Keihin carburetors.
I hate multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate Honda for using multiple Keihin carburetors.
I hate rainy 55* days in June.

That is all.

You are now me one year ago.

They're not as bad as you're making them; take them one at a time, clean them as such, make sure the accelerator pump is working properly and clean those little holes too.

The worst part is getting them into and off the bike.

OFF: Use Tie-downs.
ON: Use Tie downs. Also, they will pop into the intakes and they WILL be straight on. Do not second guess this or you will have air leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Anybody else going to Rice-O-Rama this Sunday? I'll be there on my (not-entered-for-consideration) 1979 CB750. You'll probably find me looking for vintage fairings or some crap.

Poorly edited website here:

http://www.rice-o-rama.com/