Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Test drove a CBR250R after not having ridden a motorcycle for five years. (Owned an 84 VF500 for four years, and an old Yamaha 250 thumper I pulled out of a barn for two before that.)

God, that thing is a ton of fun. If it had ABS I would have purchased it right there, but instead I'm stuck searching for one with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

How is it on the highway? I didn't get a chance to take it out there on my test drive.

I'm mainly looking for something that's easy to throw around in the city, but it'd be nice if it's not completely unable to do a longer trip.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Protocol (as far as I've ever known it) was that you don't get to test ride the bike without the current owner having full purchase price of the bike in hand before you hop on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A 50 degree day in Wisconsin on January 31st and my drat battery is dead. :mad:

I guess I need a tender after all...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you're looking for new mirrors on an SV, Tuono mirrors are really nice.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

EvilCrayon posted:

VFR V4. Power from 2.5k and on to 11.5k with a linear powerband that really gets moving after 6k.

On another note, I am getting my bike dyno'd on June 2nd so I will have an amazing video :)

The VFR V4 is the probably the best thing ever.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I had a really short commute, but rode all winter down to 20 deg F and was fine with heated grips and a pair of Phantom GTX gloves. (Those gloves rule, by the way.)

I'm not planning on sticking around WI this winter, but if it happens I'll be getting some V-Strom hand guards to take the wind off my hands.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

echomadman posted:

the sv will blow its forkseals if you do too many or land one badly as i found out a few weeks ago

Or hold the wheelie too long and you'll starve the engine's oil.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I feel like a goddamn madman riding my motorcycle in San Francisco after moving here

and now i want a supermoto

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The big blocks of cheddar and summer sausage were by far the best pack-alongs on my week-long BWCA canoe trips.

Also I really want a new 1190 adv. :/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The PO's of the Ninja500 I just bought almost hosed me: they said the bike was last registered 2010 but was non-op after that, but they neglected to mention the $600 in back fees it had somehow accumulated. Fortunately, I must have lucked into the only nice DMV agent on the planet and she dropped all the fees before I even had to say anything. Phew.

They still did kind of gently caress me by selling me a bike with a tank full of rust but that's my fault for spacing and not checking the tank, and that'll be fixed tomorrow.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yup, CA. It actually didn't pop up at all on that - I assumed because of the non-op.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Finally got to take my Ninja 500 out for the first longer ride after getting it running. It has a little bit of a flat spot coming off idle and lumpiness down low, but I'll dial that out and it's not bad at all as is.

Anyways, cool little bike! Much more comfortable than I thought it'd be, plenty fast, handles pretty well, and the brakes are great. Feels more "planted" than I had expected. I think it'll work just fine for the next year or two until I grab an ABS Versys or something.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Bad eBay week. I purchased one of the last Givi Monorack systems for the Ninja 500 around, which said it included a MonoKey mounting plate yet did not. Ended up getting a partial refund, buying the mounting plate separately, and still made out okay.

Then the topcase I purchased showed up, and it wasn't a MonoKey mount like described but a MonoLock, and now I have to deal with returning THAT. Boooo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, I split a few miles of traffic where the 10 turns into the 101 until I rolled up on a cop. What is the deal legal wise? I didn't want to split past him just in case.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitting.html

quote:

Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.
2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster – danger increases as overall speed increases.
3) Typically, it is more desirable to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.
4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.
5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Welp, I now have the answer as to whether a 46L Givi looks ridiculous on a Ninja 500:

Yes. But it rules.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Z3n posted:

Also I test rode a 1190 Adventure today. That is a fantastic usable bike. In sport mode with the TC on, it's pretty much a puppydog, turn the TC off and you can easily do multigear power wheelies. Plus it's suprisingly narrow for a giant traily, it's got amazing ABS with an offroad mode that'll let you back it in a bit, dynamic adjustable suspension damping and preload, long travel suspension, and on, and on, and on.

If they made a 1190 SM-T I'd be strongly tempted to sell my daytona.

I sat on one for the first time today and was really surprised that it wasn't taller. It looks like it should be gigantic but it felt great once I was on it.

I'd love one but would love a lighter version with an 800cc-ish motor even more.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

But, V4!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oh, shoot, we're also getting the CBR650F.

http://rideapart.com/2014/02/2014-honda-cbr650f/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Also, don't forget about the bizarre NC700X/NC750X, with its exciting "Half Of A Honda Fit Engine" engine and automatic dual-clutch transmission.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

After doing valves & carb sync the bike is running better than it ever has, and it's so nice out I had to pull the rain and thermal liners out of my jacket. BIKES FOR LIFE.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

That's probably about the same 0-60 as my first bike, a Yamaha Exciter 250 from 1973.

Was it slow? Very yes. Did I ride the pants off of it? Also very yes.

I had a 1980 as a first bike, with a huge rust hole in that center resonator to boot. Lots of sound, no fury.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

32 yrs old, no accidents ever, live in San Francisco, $0 deductible comprehensive & $500 collision = $170 / 6 months. <3 USAA <3

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose this is a very important lesson - the most important thing about a motorbike is how it makes you feel, everything else is secondary.

Absolutely. I've played bass since I was in 5th grade (20+ years now) and I think that's why I get so hung up or smitten by how a vehicle sounds. You could give me a Ninja 250 that sounded like an RSV4 or crossplane R1 with an aftermarket exhaust and I'd be completely happy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm not a vintage bike guy at all, but I will loving murder my father if he sells his absolutely pristine 82 Suzuki GS1100E to anyone other than me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I usually wind up leaving a key attached to my luggage when this happens to me.

Before I got my rear trunk I had to do the run back to the street where my bike is to grab my keys more than a couple times. Now that I have the trunk I take the keys out to open the trunk, put my helmet and gloves in the trunk and have to lock the trunk with the keys so I'd have to have a total brain meltdown to leave it in there at that point. Not saying it's not possible, though.

Why the hell did Yamaha bring the FZ-09 to the USA without an ABS option? Would be perfect.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Most places that offer it as an option charge about $500 extra for it, and I'm certain part of that cost is just the loss of economy of scale and supply streamlining by having two separate configurations. There are enough places around the world that mandate ABS that I'd think just standardizing would be the easiest thing. I understand that little shitbox 125cc's for India aren't going to have ABS but for a world bike I can't imagine the US is so price conscious to drop something like ABS over a couple hundred dollars.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

US market's Streets will be built in Kansas City and the foreign markets' will be from Bawal in India.

I think the US market ones are assembled in KC from parts shipped over from India, right?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Did my first real commute in California this morning.

Oh my god. Lane splitting is the best loving thing in the world. I'm still kind of slow with it, and knowing when I can do it, so sometimes I end up having to move over and let another bike by, but still. Amazing.

Welcome to the cool kid club.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yeah this, don't ever feel like you're less of a man because a squid is going 30 mph faster than traffic and passing you. Lane splitting can be done safely, but it can also be done wrecklessly and more often than not its the latter. Ride however you feel most safe. I hardly ever lane split on the freeway, but I will filter through traffic at a red to get to the front.

Absolutely. The road isn't a racetrack and there's no prize for getting to work in record time. (And if you have to split aggressively to make it to work on time you probably should just get up five minutes earlier.) Split when you feel comfortable. I also basically never split when traffic is moving, just filter, and I'll hang back if a spot looks too tight, if the light's about to change anyways, or if there's a bicyclist or something sitting where I would want to be.

That feeling when you're filtering through traffic and hit the front of the line right when the light turns green is pretty magical.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I've always thought that filtering is more getting yourself to the front of a line of stopped cars in town, and splitting is going between moving cars on a faster road or highway.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Tanbo posted:

Thanks. It does look nice for a 500. Most I see have really 80s paint jobs and color schemes that don't work well at all.

No idea where you got that idea.

:gonk:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

slidebite posted:

Whelp, something good about getting older I guess. :sigh:

Getting older rules. Also USAA rules.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

You must be older, then. Usaa doesn't even do motorcycle insurance anymore, you just get a discount through Progressive. :(

It depends on the state! I had Progressive through USAA in Wisconsin, but they insure cycles directly in California.

Radbot posted:

Wow, that's crazy. I think California has a $50,000 liability requirement. I wonder why there's such a difference?

Freedom. :911:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Duke 390 is the poo poo. It's not like the 690 is something you'd really want to spend a bunch of time on the highway on either. It'd be a killer alternative to something like a DRZ400SM.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Almost every manufacturer has at least one 300ish CC sport / standard in the USA now. I can't imagine they're all chasing a market that doesn't actually exist.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

So I can get the Duke 390 now, and the SD-T when it comes out. Perfect.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

First batch of reviews hit for the FJ-09. Sounds like it's going to be a homerun.

Motorcyclist
Ultimate Motorcycling
CycleWorld

quote:

Oh thank goodness! I thought as I let the FJ-09’s clutch out and rolled on the throttle. After just 15 feet aboard the FJ I knew that Yamaha had remedied the awful throttle response that plagued the FZ-09 , the bike on which this new sport tourer is based.

The road away from our hotel in Ojai, California was punctuated with speed bumps, and as soon as I rolled over the first one I discovered that the FJ-09’s suspension was better, too. I’d sat through the FJ’s technical presentation the previous night and learned that Yamaha had the makings for an excellent middleweight mile eater, but the whole time I was thinking that if the fueling and suspension weren’t fixed, none of the other stuff would matter. I was both relieved and pleased to learn that the FZ’s shortcomings had been remedied.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What the hell bike do you have? Is it made of solid gold or something?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

gently caress.

I was able to keep the New Motorcycle Vapours away for quite some time, as there wasn't anything that exactly fit the requirements I had for my theoretical next bike, but it sounds like the FJ-09 is exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Ola posted:

Another obvious use of throttle and brake at the same time is starting uphill.

I've seen a few new gigantic touring bikes that have hill hold. Living in SF, that would be *awesome.*