Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Z3n posted:

The thing that really mystifies you on a literbike is when you're doing 150mph and you grab a gear and then you're doing 170 and you have ANOTHER loving GEAR. :psyduck: Or when you're riding around in 4th gear on the freeway.

Best description of a liter bike ever. With the previous owner's RK SPEED KIT :hurr: 7k rpm in 6th was 130, so 4th gear around town it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Christoff posted:

Jesus, who said working on bikes was easy?

When I started working on my GSXR, I easily spent 200$ filling out my tools: torque wrenches, breaker bar, metric sockets, hex keys of all sizes, etc. It made it so much easier. My favorite was a 36mm socket for the rear axle nut.

I also "found" a copy of a Suzuki shop manual which was very useful.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Nerobro posted:

That's the intersection of Algonquin and golf road, in arlington heights. http://www.google.com/search?client...G=Google+Search

I used to work near there..

Pappadeauxs is delicious.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

8ender posted:

Just a warning to everyone else: switch to reserve for a bit and make sure it works once in a while.

I usually run the first 20 miles or so of each tank on reserve, just for this reason. I would think it's better to have all the gunk on the bottom of the fuel tank go through your carbs a little bit at a time, versus all at once (or clog it).

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Linedance posted:

I just prefer the "works right in the first place" kind of fuel delivery system. I should never have to worry whether the engine is getting the right amount of gas. If the bike starts running badly, it should be a sensor fault, not something actually wrong with the fueling system.

This right here. The first time I had to pull a carb only to have a small spring go flying across the garage never to be seen again would completely justify the the 200$ for a PCIII USB plus the 45$ for 3 dyno pulls to tune it out. Change the exhaust? Less than 10 minutes with my laptop plugged in and I'm good to go. No rejetting or any other of that horse poo poo.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Selling a motorcycle on Craigslist has to be one of the most frustrating things ever. :argh:

No I don't want to trade your lovely car for my lovely motorcycle, and no I won't take $450 cash when I said $750 cash firm in the god drat post.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

sklnd posted:

Does a price point really not dissuade people from meeting with you and offering well below an acceptable price? I kinda figured most of that filtering could be done via email. Maybe I trust people too much.

I'm considering trying to sell my truck via cl soon, which is why I'm interested.

No. I listed mine for 1000 initially, and I had emails offering 400$ cash...when I asked for cash only. I had several then call only to lowball me on the phone. I met one guy at the storage place where the bike was and offered me 600$ after we had agreed upon 800 on the phone.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Just a reminder to do your pre-ride checks.

I got back from Dragon this morning, and decided to wax my chain while it was still warm and noticed that I'm missing lots of teeth off the rear sprocket. I've known that it was time to replace that poo poo for a while, but a simple inspection this morning could have saved me a ride to the hospital had it thrown the chain.

Also, clean and wax your chain like you're supposed to.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Rode my father's new BMW R1200RT last night, which was the first large sport touring bike I've been on. It was really nice, and I covet it now. :(

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Z3n posted:

Jack the smack wheelies a drunk girl off the back of his bike at 75mph.

Jesus christ. I have an outstanding bet with another goon on whether he'd kill himself or someone else first. Seems I may lose.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've been riding for 5 years and can count the number of times I've been two-up on both hands. For me, I don't want to be responsible for a completely passive passenger. Plus the dynamics of the bike change with the extra 120 pounds on the back.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

M42 posted:

... everything is blooming here and it's great ... rolling grassy fields

These same things made me stop and buy some antihistamines on the way to Skyline this weekend. I probably looked high walking into Walgreens. :saddowns:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

How long of a ride is it from LA to SF?

9~ hours using 101 to 1 going north from LA, taking it easy with decent stops. 6.5 hours in a car on the interstate.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 6, 2014

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

Sucks to hear about that. :(

I was in a bad traffic jam once and at the end of it, there was a motorcycle on it's side and two slip on loafers just sitting in the roadway. I hope that guy made it.

Sounds like that picture JackTheSmack posted of his wreck years ago. His flip-flops were laying in the intersection.

EDIT: wrong person

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 13, 2014

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Went to Laguna Seca for the WSBK race (and also a couple others) today!

Great ride down. I stopped at Alice's on the way down for breakfast and admired all the other bikes that are always hanging out there. Lots of guys in t-shirts and shorts on Harleys with Arizona license plates, too -- I think those are rentals. Oh well.

Ha! I woke up late and had to hit Alice's on the way home. I'm still not a super huge fan of the track, but it's close so might as well attend some races there.

EDIT: Moved the pictures to the images thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=744#post432215124

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 15, 2014

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Lobbying, son. Any time the USDOT tries to regulate these, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association opens up the purse the issue "goes away".

http://influenceexplorer.com/organization/recreation-vehicle-industry-assn/e0c33f859003464ab2f43189219b1fba

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stage Rd north of Pescadero

Just make sure your suspension is good before hitting Stage Rd cause holy poo poo I've never had my teeth rattled as hard as that road did.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

That bike looks really nice in white; so, can you wheelie it?

Only if you hate your clutch and / or gear box

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Set my backpack down this morning as I got off the bike at work, and leaned it right up against the exhaust headers like a moron. It melted almost completely through one shoulder strap before I realized what the plastic smell was. Now I'm replacing a pack that was 3 months old and cleaning melted poo poo off the pipes this weekend. :(

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

leica posted:

Your wife will probably be bored unless she's riding as well.

This.

It's about an hour into Robbinsville or 1.5 hours into Maryville on the Tennessee side, but neither have much to look at it. And I'm from Maryville. :( There's rafting and hiking around, but that's about it.

M42 posted:

Me and two buddies of mine are trailering our bikes down to Deals Gap for july 4th weekend. I am SO PUMPED :D

Dunno if you've been there or not, but may I suggest that you all get up and get your Gap passes in the mornings, and then clear out by 10:30-11. The long weekend is going to make the Gap a long line of Harleys going 15 mph. :911:

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 24, 2015

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

M42 posted:

Yeah, I know it's gonna be pretty crowded, we probably won't do the dragon at all unless we can get up before dawn on friday (arriving thurs). There's plenty of other twisties and backroads in the area, we're gonna rail those instead.

Cherohala is a blast, but watch the decreasing radius corners. They (used to?) hurt a lot of people. Foothills Parkway can be fun as well.

clutchpuck posted:

Motovlog that poo poo! :)

Include some more of those creepy-as-gently caress pictures where you black out your face in your helmet. :)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Went riding out to Yosemite this weekend with some fellows from work, and one of the attendees was out on his 2002 R1150. About halfway there, after 75ish miles of riding, the R1150 had to pull over suddenly as he lost all power. After I pulled up, I had this conversation:

P (riding the 1150): "Dunno what happened, just lost power - the starter won't crank it"
*P hits the starter, and gets nothing but clicking*
Me: "Your fuel and oil good?"
P: "Yeah, just checked the oil before you left"
*P hits the starter again and gets a solid thunk*
Me: "Hey you may not want to..."
*P hits the starter again and the ka-thunk turns into something that sounds like marbles*
Me: :ughh:

He really wanted to start that bike up. Took 2 hours for a flat bed to show up and get 'em. We went on with our ride.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

What do you think happened?

I'm not versed enough in the ways of engine whispering to know, but continuing to crank the thing after a serious mechanical failure seemed like a bad idea.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Nah man, it just didn't want to start. :downs:

Right? The hell of it is that this guy owns like 3 bikes (2 now?), and has ridden for many years so I thought he might know better. Seems to me it went from $expensive$ to more $$$expensive$$$.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What is it with electric bikes and teeny tiny brake disks, anyway?

Hardcore regenerative braking?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Do what half the motorcycle owners in CA seem to do, which is register it at your friend's address in Oregon, Washington, or Nevada.

EDIT: Also up for CA goon rides.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Then, a few minutes later, I nearly rear-ended a car because the driver decided to stop in the travel lane to let some slowpoke in the acceleration lane merge in, and she had two of three brake lights burned out 👏 :bravo: 👏

101 northbound? I always see that poo poo on those short-rear end onramps.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Radbot posted:

So after getting in a crash with my girlfriend two years ago, she still refuses to ride. However, I enjoy spending time with her. Does this mean I should get a sidehack, or a Polaris Slingshot?

New girlfriend?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The beat to poo poo GSXR 1k I bought years ago had a Two Brother slip-on with the baffles pulled out of it. It hurt MY ears when riding above 7k RPMs, I can only imagine what it was like to drive behind me. It was one of the first things to go.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

makka-setan posted:

And uncomfortable looking.

I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I was surprised how comfortable mine is. Didn't make my hip joints scream in agony like the Thruxton did.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

*gets off air cooled bike putting out a massive 78 HP*

" Whoa is that a ducati? That must be a fast bike!"

"Nah, not really."

"How fast does it go?"

And that's about it for my conversations on the monster. Except for the legally blind beggar who told me his eyesight was poo poo, but he could recognize that rattle anywhere :haw:

I had one of those just today on my Monster!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

There's one of those hanging on the wall at the place where I store my bike and I couldn't figure out what it was for. :sigh: Waxing the chain will be so much easier now.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I my case, I've got sliders bolted with the rear axle (Monster 796), so it mean I don't have to pull a wrench out to use my PitBull stand.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It'd never happen like that but :allears:

About a decade back, I was sitting at the Deal's Gap store when one of the crowd I was with saw someone with no gear come up, get on his bike, pop it into neutral and start to roll it away. The owner casually walked out of the cafe and followed the person rolling his bike away to the other end of the lot. The owner told us later he asked the fellow where he was going, to which the guy responded that "the owner had asked him to move it for him". The owner replied that he didn't remember asking him to move it and punched the would-be thief in the mouth with an armored glove.

How he didn't go dashing out of the place and just deck the guy right there I dunno.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 20, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A chapter 11 of Buells

A Chapter 7

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Pretty ballsy of the thief to try again the very next night after getting caught trying to load the bike up the previous evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Almost 40 and my R1200RT is as reasonable and unassuming as the rest of my life. :(