Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Seems to me if you want a supermoto, you should go for the real thing, not an overweight, underpowered pig. The whole point is having a bike that is utterly ridiculous to ride, why should you settle for a DRZ just because of maintenance intervals? If you could only have one bike and wanted a sumo, then sure, get the DRZ. You however have multiple other rides. Get a real, barely street legal moto, and take your trip on one of your other bikes.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
So I went and test rode a WR250X today, just for giggles. All I have to say is what a disappointment. Completely anemic. Handling felt pretty good, but the bike was a gutless wonder. Talking to the sales guy, they have had one hell of a time selling them, and I am not surprised. Its a lot of money for something that while fun to play around on, is severely limited in that play by lack of power. Might be better if the thing didn't weigh a ridiculous 300 pounds. Yamaha, put a wr450 motor in there and put the drat thing in a diet, then we can talk.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I could be that since Husky, KTM, and Aprilia have got such strong supermoto offerings that the Japanese dont think they can get into the market in the 450+ arena. If only I didn't have such a hate/hate relationship with the local KTM/husky dealer, I would go ride some. Fortunately, they lost the Aprilia brand, so I just need to make time to go to the new dealer and ride one.

Edit: Just for comparison, the KTM SMR 450 weighs in at 246 or so pounds, while the Yamaha 250 is dead nuts on 300. WTF is up with that? Where the hell does the yamaha gain 50+ extra pounds, while have a smaller engine?

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

n8r posted:

I don't see a KTM 450 SMR on their US website for 2009 so it must not be in that great of demand. The wr250x does miss the mark for sure, I have no idea what they were thinking. That said, you slap on a starter, battery, lights, and probably additional emissions gear and that weight can add up.

Asking for a CRF450 in supermoto form and expecting it to be streetable is just silly. The motors have something like a 5 hour interval on their oil changes and valves are every 20 hours or so. I don't think it's just a matter of detuning the motor either. When your design principle is to build a race engine for motoX bikes you can't just easily change things so people can get reasonable maintenance intervals for street riding.

Probably the best compromise out there is to find a DRZ400 - non street legal version, plate it, and then convert it to supermoto. Wanting a 250lb 60hp supermoto is really just a pipe dream unless you want to live with a very high maintenance race bike. A bit silly for commuting. I do think that if there were major market demands for supermotos with these specs you'd see manufacturers stepping in with light, higher displacement motors that can balance the power with the maintenance requirements. Unforuntately, I don't think you'll ever see supermotos go beyond much of a niche product.

I didn't ask for a CRF450, I asked for a WR450. As it is, that motor has a 600 mile oil change interval. Slap an oil cooler on there that lets you put another liter of oil in, and you can have 1000 miles changes no problem, and valve checks are easy and infrequent on WR's. There is a significant difference between motocross engines like the CRF or YZ450's and the WR and other offroad engines. Not as powerfull, but better life and maintenance intervals.

I am not asking for a practical bike, these are solely a streetable toy. If you want to commute on it go for it, but thats not the main market for these bikes. Obviously commuters dont give a poo poo about supermotos, given the lackluster sales of the WR250X. There is a market for these bikes, the the European companies have obviously got it locked down pat, KTM, Husky, and Aprilia. I wasn't complaining that there are no bikes that I want out there, I was whining about how the Japanese obviously dont get it.

And the KTM SMR is right under the Supermoto section. http://ktm.com/450-SMR.39.0.html

The Husky 450r (weighs in at 260 lbs, dont tell me that it cant be done, because it obviously can.)
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_ver.aspx?IdVer=38&rpstry=198_

And the Aprilia SXV 4.5
http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/offroad/modello.asp?id=111

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Was it a first gen? the first gens are widely regarded as having horrible engines. Supposedly they are significantly better now.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Phat_Albert posted:

I actually just removed the grip heaters from the Bandit. I didnt think they were really that great, as the other side of your hands is still freezing cold.

I'm going to just try a pair of cold weather gloves this fall and see how that goes.

Heated gloves, seriously. Worth every penny the first time your use them. Heated grips might be good for the cold morning portion of a long ride when you dont really want to pack a thick rear end pair of gloves, but then it comes to a deep cold or all day rides and heated glove is king. You can even just get heated glove liners, which aren't as good, but can easily be taken off and stowed later in the day. Then you can get a heated vest or jacket liner later, and be blown away by the comfort again.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
You kick like a fairy, and put your kickstand down like one too. What are the grey boxes on the shelves behind the bike?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

fronkpies posted:

Learnt a vital lesson for my future career as a mechanic today. Always check the simple things first.

Did I tell everybody about the time that I parked a bike for two years, for what I thought was a major engine failure? And it turned out to just be a spark plug that had worked its way loose? And that after the 2 years I tore the engine out of the bike and pulled the head before it occurred to me that I had never had to remove the spark plug? Yeah, check the simple things first.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Well, obviously it isnt going to stop a fence post, and no one expects it to. Thats just ridiculous. The visor doesn't protect against much except small flying debris, but it does a good job at stopping even large chucks of rock/wood/whatever, just at the cost of a new visor.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Since we are talking awesome ride reports, here is one in the making. Riding the Alaskan ice roads. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422290

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Holy poo poo, a 60 degree cutoff? Turn in your keys, your a pussy.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Everybody drops their bike at some point. When your a dope like me and add another 2 inches of suspension to a bike that started with a 34-35 inch seat height, you do it more often than most. Its less embarrassing when everyone around you knows you could not care less about dropping the bike. Its embarrassing to them when you can pick it up, get back on, and still beat them at a pole bending competition. :c00lbert:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

OrangeFurious posted:

What's the big appeal of supermotards? The KTMs and Ducatis I've seen at dealerships feel about as heavy (not moving) as a regular sportbike, but with the added discomfort of a dirtbike's banana seat. The people I know who've ridden them - the Ducati specifically - are totally overcome with inarticulate raving praises.

I'm not hating, I just don't get it. Clue me in.

Basically, as the other guys said, you weren't sitting on a real supermoto. Things like the superduke and hypermotoard are fun bikes, but vastly overweight and overlarge compared to a dirt bike converted or a specialty sumo like the husky 450.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 22, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Bob Morales posted:

GSX-R600 10.80 @ 128.1, 105.3 @ 13,500, 44.1 @ 11,250, 441lbs

:btroll:

What a porker.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
The 1/4 has much ore to due with gearing than the weight. I was just commenting on how unusual it is for one bike to be so far off the standard weight. In past years, its been resonably close between all four, hasn't it?

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 1, 2009

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
He got life.

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2009/01/richard-gear-se.html

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Shlomo Palestein posted:

"Your registration is expired. Do you have a ride home?"

Wow, somebody was having a cranky pants day.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Actually, I believe next year it will be 450's only, even for amateurs.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

n8r posted:

The sucks cost wise.

They are attempting to keep people from killing themselves every year, and level the field between the pro's and the privateers. I think they have done a pretty good job, especially with the 3 engine rule.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
It sort of interesting to think about what sort of rates you could get on insurance if you were to sign a contract stating that you would wear X amount of gear when riding. If you were in a wreck without X amount of gear on, you pay a penalty or maybe they dont pay out your medical coverage. Would you be interested in that? A "I always ride with a helmet, jacket, and gloves" discount. I imagine that could significantly lower premiums in some cases.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I think it could be pretty easy to solve the gear problem, just set up a certification program like D.O.T or SNELL for jackets, gloves, pants, and boots. So you would agree to wear a D.O.T helmet and X approved jacket, pants, and gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

MotoMind posted:

Plane goes into a tankslapper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOM9NnkDD2g (skip to 1:20 for insanity)

I wonder what its like, not having just seconds, but minutes knowing that you are likely going to die in a giant ball of fire, and its going to take all your skill just to have the possibility of making it out alive. Fighter jet, whatever, the dude could just eject. No way out on an airliner.