Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
My Dad and I were once driving our Buicks in adjacent lanes, at 70km/h around a slight bend, and a dude on a Harley split between us doing what must have been well over 100km/h. I shudder to think how little room he had to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Ola posted:

OP: gently caress my bike is stolen from corner of X and Y, looks like this. Prob stripped by now.
Forum: Bummer dude, sucks rear end, hope everything turns out ok.
Poster on page 3: Holy poo poo your bike is on the corner of X and Z! Looks intact.
Forum: Did you check the ignition? Any baddies around?
OP: I am an idiot.
Forum: LOL

Haha, I know a guy who did a very similar thing with his car, was all bummed because his car was stolen and then 2 or 3 weeks later, found it parked outside the house he had recently moved out of (a couple of streets from his new place). I can only assume he was driving drunk to have made a mistake like that, unsurprisingly he didn't say much about that side of things..

Regarding hearing protection, I have mild tinnitus in both ears and don't want it to get worse, so I have always ridden with earplugs in. Started with chemist foamies, but at the bike show in Sydney myself and DiZ had custom moulded ones made. Cut out a lot of noise, but now I need a pipe on my bike because I can't hear its sweet, sweet sound when I downshift approaching traffic lights. :(

Personally I think you're nuts if you ride without earplugs, at least if you value your hearing.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Flat tyre story

I bought a digital tyre gauge so I can check my tyre pressures as part of my pre-ride checks. I don't check every time I ride necessarily, but it only takes a minute and lets me know whether I need to put some air in the tyres when I stop for fuel next. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Checked to see if they handed it in at any local business/office?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Those dual headlights are literally the ugliest thing to happen to a motorcycle ever. It blows my mind that people swap speed triple headlights onto other bikes, which insinuates that they think they look good.

When I first saw a Street/Speed triple I thought they were ugly as sin, and now a Street Triple is probably top of my list of bikes to get when I get my full license. I think they look awesome now, though ugly can be awesome. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I can't enough emphasis on how much I want to ride one of those.

It is conveyed quite effectively by your current inability to construct a sentence. :P

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

We have 4 cats (somewhat accidental, never set out to get 4) and there have been 2 more in the past. Never ingested any feces as far as I know, they all go outside.

Obviously I ride a bike, but I do think there's something off in my fear centre. I'm also a tree surgeon (w00t for dangling above 60 foot drops with a chainsaw in one hand, yanking a tonne of tree in the other) and applying to be a navy helicopter pilot.

I'm quite risk averse and I was going through the process of getting my civilian helo pilot's license and aiming to join the navy to fly too, several years ago.

That said, we have had cats all my life, up until fairly recently.

But I'm definitely a chicken compared to many others I know, and have always had a very active self preservation instinct. So I don't necessarily think that wanting to fly helos marks you as a risk taker. Except perhaps in the Australian Navy, where a 10c split pin not being replaced led to the loss of a Sea King (which is what I'd have flown if given the choice)!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

My bike is satin black, my leathers are black, and my boots are black with some flashes of red. My helmet is this one, and I recently put red reflective rim stickers on my bike to go with the helmet and break up the blackness.

:coal:

The red rim stickers totally changed the look of the bike, actually. It was always a nice-looking bike, but the rim stickers just set it off in some way I can't explain. Phwoar.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 11, 2010

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So, I've found since installing my new pipe the number of kids who look at my bike and point/clap etc. has increased dramatically. Countdown 'til I get to piss a mother or two off by revving the bike and giving the thumbs up to one of these little tackers. :D

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Jharkov posted:

Yesterday i went with my girlfriend up the old road with her group of friends, with about two other girls in the group. I was keen to see how they rode.
The lead girl took off on her VTR pretty quickly and i was keen to chase. So off i went and the pace was hot. I had a blast.
The DRZ was pinned, 5th was too tall. i had to bounce the limiter in 4th everywhere to keep up with this girl. I was hot on her tail when the corners got tight though.
Big mistake when my girlfriend showed up and she was angrier than a bull.
We're broken up as of now

I'm such a kid when im on the SM.

Whoops!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I got video of a guy the other night riding some sort of sports bike in Sydney, wearing joggers with the laces undone.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Dubs posted:

I've started getting 'arm pump' whilst at the gym. gently caress life :(.

What does that mean?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I fashioned a stereo mic to capture decent ride audio instead of having to rely on a lovely soundtrack future vids. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

37lbs lighter. Oh god, gimme gimme gimme. gently caress travelling, saving my sheckles for this. Same Marchesini's as the new Brutatles.

Ack, a Street Triple R is my forecast next bike... I'm not sure about the change to the headlights, need to see them in proper context! I liked the round ones though. :(

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Awwww, dammit, do not want. The old headlights were way betterer. Even if they look like parts bin specials as someone described them last week. The new lights look like they belong in a fairing.

Still, I did think the previous gen Speed and Street were ugly at first too, so by the time I'm ready to buy a Street I may think they're the hottest thing ever, who knows?

When's the Street due for an update? Not that one can expect it to look any different.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Well, if I have to, I'll buy a new Street Triple R and put the old model headlights on it I guess. Unless there's something aftermarket which looks better still.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

needknees posted:

Me too :(. Maybe I have no sense of style (actually i'm sure I don't) but I really liked the looks of the old bike's headlights.

The more I look at it (hellforleather have more pics up now), the less I like any part of it. :( The view from the rear is seriously uninspiring.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Most places have light running rules for intersections that wont go green unless they detect a vehicle. In Wisconsin you can run the light if you've sat through the equivalent of two light changes.

They dont really give you any way to tell how long two light changes would be, so the rule boils down to "wait for a while and run the red when the roads clear".

I have no idea if a similar rule exists in Australia. That said, so far I have had no trouble triggering lights, no starter hitting or stand lowering required..

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Nono, it's more likes this.

(ATGATT, etc)

All The Gut All The Time?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

Just spent a good half hour running around the car park trying to bump start my bike, resulting in a snapped brake lever and broken wing mirror, before noticing that some bastard had indeed turned the killswitch on.

Get in to the habit of always shutting the bike down with the kill switch (or always flicking the kill switch off after you turn the bike off with the key if you prefer - one good reason for always using the kill switch though is that if you ever have an emergency like a stuck throttle, the kill switch will be what you automatically go for to shut the bike down), that way flicking the switch on will become part of your standard pre-flight checklist. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

redscare posted:

As for the killswitch, yes if you are dumb enough to leave the keys in the ignition in the on position it will drain the battery. That's just simple logic since the killswitch only turns off the engine. Whoever at Triumph thought that was necessary to put into the manual should be drowned in a tub of Lotus glue.

Haha, yeah. If that's the reasoning for not using the kill switch then that's ridiculous. I hit the kill switch, and immediately turn the key off and remove it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Linedance posted:

I saw (and heard) the new Speed Triple today (I don't think it was the 2012 Street). It was black. It had black exhausts. Black everything. It looked and sounded completely badass. If you aren't too thrilled by the pictures, wait until you see one going down the road before passing judgment.

Gotta say, as rabidly anti the new lights I was when the Speed was announced, they have grown on me and do look pretty good in the flesh when you see one pass by on the street. As the 2011 Street didn't get ABS or any cool poo poo like that I'm holding off another year before upgrading (hoping that ABS comes in 2012), so it's probably a good thing that they've grown on me.. :P

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

-Inu- posted:

Standing next to a top fuel car as it launches off the line is one of the most loving insane things I've felt in my life. The force feels like someone punching you in the chest and I feel if you don't have earplugs/covered ears that it would instantly cause you to go deaf.

Yeah man, I had a press pass once and was filming down at the start line area at the drags, and the big cars felt like they were literally sucking the air out of my lungs as they did their burnouts. Unbelievable.

When I was a kid my Dad took me to a drag event and when the top fuellers blew past it was like getting thumped in the guts.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

loving brutal impact, it was. :( Tore his helmet clean off. Ugh.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

loving bullshit Australian release dates, it's not out here till loving March.

My mate got it on Blu-Ray from the UK for about $25 or something silly I think he said, from zavvi. We watched it last night. I liked it. :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Region-locked? My blu-ray player isn't universal (or at least, I don't think so).

I vaguely remember my mate saying that the UK is the same region as us for Blu-Ray when someone else asked him the same thing.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Two years per offense, so four years actually, right? That's pretty awesome.

EDIT: sorry, I see it was explained in the article that the sentences are concurrent. Not sure what the point of that is, but anyway..

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 19, 2011

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

blue squares posted:

So what is it like upgrading from a 250? I've only been riding three weeks so I'm nowhere close to even thinking about it, but I love my Ninja. It is quick as hell, so light it is easy to move around. Today I parked too far to the side so I just grabbed it and hulked it over to the left a bit. It's so skinny that I can lane-split with ease and I get great gas mileage. I can get up too 105 mph on it and I don't see much need to go any higher.

So how much more fun is a bigger bike, and in what way?

I can't answer the questions about how much fun and in what ways more powerful bikes are, but my VTR250 has 30hp. I recently rode my mate's newly-purchased CB400 (50hp). My bike never felt slow, but this thing felt like a fricking' rocket. The couple of times I gave the throttle a good twist I was pretty much gobsmacked.

The bike I want to upgrade to (Street Triple) is 105hp. Bugger me. That will take some getting used to.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

It has never occurred to me to open my visor at lights. I will crack the visor if fogging is an issue but that's it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Wow, Albuquerque is a real place? I thought Wierd Al just made that up for a laugh.

Nice bike though, always liked them.

The ABQ, bitch!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

snail posted:

...and reregister it as a new vehicle if you live in Queensland. It's a little more complicated than just a straight part swap and the TMR are arseholes about it.

The last bit of info I had regarding the SV was that nobody bothered (in Queensland) as it wasn't cost effective once all was taken into account. You're better off to sell the LAMS bike, and buy a new one that's not restricted. It was the same for the ER6-N as of last year. The only one that was apparently sensible to derestrict was the Hyosung. Of course it may have changed, that info is 18 months old.

All the more reason to take a day off work and go test riding bikes.

What about a VTR250?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

hayden. posted:

edit: also for the love of God can someone change the "less" in the title to "fewer". I notice it every single time.

Hahaha, and here I thought it was just me.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

What's with the red on the tank? It looks like jpeg artifacting yet the rest of the picture is fine. Is it an unintended camera effect or something?

Looks fine to me?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

They're inconsistent. Some of them you can do well over double, others you can barely do at 150%. Just depends on how the half-drunk engineer was feeling because the road surface varies WILDLY and the markers don't take that into account.

In Australia (well, NSW at least) I seem to recall our bike license instructor saying that the corner speed suggestion is the speed which will give you 7 seconds of vision through the corner.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

If it was a Frosted Flakes bowl they dumped out then it's not just great, it's grrrreeeat!

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

FluffyDice posted:

Is there a "proper" way to wave to oncoming bikes when you are riding on the left? I just nod at people and grin like an idiot when I get any kind of reply. This is almost my only interaction with any other riders :(

A nod or a head tilt (like a dog when you ask it a question) is common in my experience.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So, I've been focusing on technique a fair bit lately, and I am feeling close to ready to buy my big boy bike. With that in mind, I went and test rode a 2013 Street Triple R.

Overall it was great, nice and stable, so much loving power (I am fairly certain I will never get close to using it all except if I make it to the track sometime), the only things which bothered me were the jerk when coming back on the throttle after being all the way off (unless you do it very gently), and the mirrors. Those loving mirrors!

I'm about 6ft 1, and I could not get the mirrors to point upwards enough for me to see what the gently caress was going on behind me without moving my head all over the place. They were fairly useless. I'm not sure I'd like bar end mirrors, does anyone know of aftermarket replacements which are similar to stock but fix this issue?

My little 250 has never felt as poo poo as it did on the ride home. I imagine that is the moment of crystallisation in many purchasing decisions.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

The triumph uses the same Keihin EFI unit as the KTM 690 as far as I know, which makes sense because we have jerky throttle problems too. On the KTM It can be tuned out with an ODB2 adapter and some free software (TuneECU). The jerkiness is due to the ECU having two maps, an acceleration map and a steady/idle emissions friendly (lean) map. The transition between the two causes the jerkiness, and you can fiddle with how they switch to an extent.

Cool, I recall recently someone saying that on 2013 models using TuneECU or similar voids your warranty, so if I go ahead with the bike I'll just adapt I guess. The earlier poster talking about technique etc. is no doubt spot on, mid-corner was precisely where this issue most often got me, as not being used to the bike and its speed, I'd roll off mid corner to adjust and then get the jerk when rolling back on. So it'll be a non-issue with time.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Regarding my Street Triple question, would the Arrow pipe and its accompanying tune fix the throttle jerk, perhaps? Because I'll be getting those.

Also, the thought of putting a Speed Triple throttle tube on to make it more aggressive kinda blows my loving mind at this point. People are crazy. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

gently caress, man. So sorry to hear that. :(