Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Have any of you gone to Kieth Code's schools? I want to here about what sounds to be the most amazing school ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

pr0zac posted:

I'd been telling myself if the company I work for hired me full time (I'm currently a contractor) I'd allow myself to upgrade to a nicer bike and not let my stupid girlfriend talk me into selling it this time (really miss that CBR). Seeing as there was talk today at work of that happening, its time to start shopping. So the question is, Suzuki DRZ400SM, KTM 690SM-R, or comedy Hypermotard option?

KTM 990 adventure. Do it. That's what I'm getting next summer and a used R6 for the track.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Do you guys have links to some motorcycle blogs? I only check out motorcycle daily and killboy right now. If there's something like jalopnik out there I'd love it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is it wrong I want to punch a friend in the face because he's stunting on the open street on a beautiful r6.

specifically doing this

Click here for the full 565x604 image.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

aventari posted:

just curious, how old is your friend?

21 or 22. I wasn't there he just posted this poo poo on facebook and I flipped on him on there.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Linedance posted:

all those are good suggestions but "that won't happen to me, I'm good :smug:"

Basically this. He does ridiculous poo poo on bmx bikes so he has like no fear in his brain. I don't know what I can do besides punching him in the face.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

where? what? huh?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey guys was just wondering if anyone knew of some good Motorcycle Racing books. Like maybe historical books, or autobiographical books of racers. I don't like going in blind and goons seem to be a good litmus test of whether I will like something.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

What sort of books are you looking for? I enjoyed Jim Redman's autobiography, Riding Man (about a novice Isle of Man TT rider), These Are the Days that Must Happen to you. Leanings and Top Dead Center are both enjoyable if you like Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron respectively. Rossi's autobiography was decent, although I think a fair bit of flavor was lost in translation from Italian. I have the Bayliss coffee table book, which has some nice pictures and commentary from people invovled in his life and career.

Those are the ones that spring to mind, I could peruse my bookshelf and see if there's anything noteworthy I missed. And of course, there's always Song of the Sausage Creature.

That's exactly what I'm looking for just entertaining books about the world of motorcycling. I'll probably pick up the Rossi bio first since I have a mancrush on him.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone know of any rider groups in NJ that are mature and ride responsibly? My friends have sent me over the edge. I don't want to go out and watch someone die. It especially stupid because they're all on 600's or liter bikes and I catch them every turn rather it be a sweeper or hairpin. All the know how to do is go WOT in a straight line.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Where are you in NJ? I stumbled upon this site looking for places to ride and they seem ok. I haven't ridden or talked with any of them because they are all up north (couple hours away) but browsing iirc they all wear gear so that's a plus over 90% of NJ riders.

I only know a couple riders myself and all they want to do is ride to restaurants and the boardwalk so I almost always fly solo.

I'm in Bayonne so I guess I count as up North to you and that's all anyone wants to do around here also. "Hey KD let's ride!" 20 minute ride followed by two hours of eating wings. "I thought we were going to ride guys...." Or lets speed down to the boardwalk on straight highway. When I do convince anyone to go ride for a good long ride they do what I said in my earlier post. It's so annoying.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah man last time I ended up playing motorcycle racing arcade games instead of riding a real motorcycle...I just don't get the mentality.

Bayonne is only a hour away so that's not too bad. I just did a 320 mile day anyways and will probably do more of them so if you wanna meet up and do actual riding here's my info from the other thread.

Yeah I'll hit you up once my new lid comes in.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Update on the boomcam. I fixed issues like the elbow drooping down by drilling and making a set screw, marked angles, and bought a smaller backpack for $30 which works great. All in, I only spent around $60 on the whole setup. There's still an issue with the mic pole swiveling away from center, but otherwise it works beautifully. I even took it for a test ride in a nearby stadium parking lot and I'm in love with the results. Unfortunately, I haven't formatted the card for a while and it filled up halfway into my run. :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZDLyUbdFM

My favorite part is at around 1 minute in.

Once I figure a way to keep it centered, I'll test some more then finally take it for a ride down some nice roads.

This is pretty awesome. Can't wait until you get everything figured out.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

An employee lent me his R6. I had 6 PBA cards before he did. I now have none. This is why I shouldn't have fast things.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

went to my moms to pick up my old jacket because i don't want to buy a new one right now while trying to lose some weight.

it's leather joe rocket kawasaki road racing jacket in white. the armor in it disintegrated into some oil-y charcoal-y mess. i cleaned most of it out but it's left behind an oily film that i have no idea how to get out of there. anyone have a good idea? i'm going to try some simple green but i don't think that will cut it.

i also was an idiot when i bought this thing. i was about 70lbs lighter and while this thing is tight now it fits which means i must have been swimming in it back then.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I had a ninja 500… I guess I thought I would move up to a ZX-6. oh young me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have saddle soap for the leather. The goop is in the interior where the armor was being held. It’s mesh so already fragile and who knows what the broken down chemicals did to it.

I feel like I always knew you should take out armor before storage but undiagnosed adhd makes remembering things like that difficult in the moment.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

I don't like the fact that i can't fast forward (or go back to something i missed) so i kinda ignore the whole thing. Just like with those stupid youtube shorts.
Whose idea was it to *remove* functionality?!

there is a timeline you can scrub at the bottom. it’s hard to see and you have to intuit that it’s a control.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

had one of my favorite motorcycle highway experiences last night...

Is it loving raining?
It wasn't supposed to rain!
gently caress.

that was a half mile long cloud of gnats.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Always wear a helmet friends. I got hit literally one corner away from my house. Making a left from a stop sign onto a road that had a red light. Helmet saved my life. Here’s the car.

The dent on the roof is where my head smacked into. Without a helmet I’m sure y’all know what that would have been.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This was 10 years ago. I just walked away with an ankle fracture that ended up requiring screws.

nothing else was immediately wrong but I have a bunch of back aches and neck pain from time to time that the accident might contribute to. I don’t know much about the driver it was an older woman(50s) only saw her face seconds before impact.

oh also this was on a bicycle.

Enough about that I had did 150miles with some friends. The Tuareg is so much fun in the twisties. I haven’t adjusted the suspension for my weight so it’s super soft but honestly it felt great to me.

Group was a S1000RR, rs660, wr250, and me in the tuareg. It was nice that muscle memory kicked in immediately so I could hustle the bike behind the bmw.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

have a ride planned through north jersey woods for sunday. ready to be shown up by 2 wr250 in the dirt.

i'm kind of nervous for my first dirt ride on a motorcycle. mostly because i don't have full coverage hand guards and the sump guard i ordered isn't in yet so i have to ride with the dinky stock aprilia guard.

any advice besides go slow ride a gear up and keep revs low?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yeah this is the second time I've heard about riding a gear higher than normal in like a month as like a means of control. I also want to know what people are thinking. I have no dirt experience but my friend was doing it on the track on a literbike.

My only guess is that quick throttle movements can overwhelm the traction of tires on powerful bikes or in unstable terrain, and it's slightly detorquing the bikes.

I want to know if this is normal and a good practice.

My small bikes I use the clutch and being in a higher gear would bog the bike.

Edit: If someone wants to quote and reply in the noob thread that'd prolly be better and appreciated. I feel like this thread is mostly about bikes, less technique.

Russian Bear posted:

Curious about riding a gear up, wouldn’t you want to keep the revs higher and modulate with the clutch? My experience is with a lower powered peaky bike though, I bet the Aprilia motor has plenty of low end torque to ride a gear up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZnKp981LqQ&t=146s

i got it from the cross training enduro videos.
idea is to not bring in higher revs until you're ready to handle them. slow is fast and what not.

i'm inexperienced myself so can't comment further.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

I’d rather watch Itchy Boots’ adventure than any of the Long Way Arounds.

i really dislike how all her videos are like DANGER GANGS NON-WHITE PEOPLE and then she rides through the area and everyone is pleasant.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

it's def algo gaming poo poo, but as the content creator she doesn't have to play into it.

like she has a video titled "They try to trap me in Honduras DANGEROUS" and the thumbnail has TRAP! when in reality she rolls up to a gatehouse and a dude on a cell phone quickly lets down the rope gate. just super unnecessary when she has all that other stunning footage.

and like i said it irks me. i'm not trying to cancel itchy boots.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Geekboy posted:

My intent was to point out that this is ridiculous but I worked too long today and should just go to bed.

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/ktm-demo-mode

quote:

The 2023 KTM 890 Adventure R comes with a wide array of electronic rider aids and optional features when you buy it from the dealer. For the first 1,500 kilometers (932 miles), all of those options are activated. At the end of that period, buyers can then decide which features they want to keep and pay for them. They lose the ones they don't pay for.

love being sold a complete product and then being extorted after 1k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

heated grips plus hippo hands are an amazing combo to fight the cold. what a difference from when i had to ride to work in the winter at 18.