Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I've been impressed so far in WA state, most people I run into are wearing gear. Even the odd stuntas I come across.

Cruisers of all kinds, not so much. Or 18-20 year olds on 600+cc sportbikes, but they're invincible so it's cool brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The biggest thing I don't get about riding without a helmet, is how the gently caress can you even be comfortable? I rode a scooter ONCE to the store without a helmet, just sunglasses, and it was loving miserable.

I don't get the comfort argument either. Or the visibility. Is it really that much of a pain in the rear end to lean a little more and look over your loving shoulder?

Now, all that said...anyone here live near Vancouver, WA? Trying to find somewhere decent to ride that doesn't require me to use interstates to get around

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Actually saw a UJM in the wild last night! Took the RD out for a quick run to the store that turned into a 45m ride, and when stopped at a red light a CB750 pulled up next to me.

Despite the million ads on CL I see for them this is the first one I've seen on the road in forever.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I did the pedal thing going past a large group of cyclists today.

I got a bunch of thumbs up, and one middle finger.

Thanks, goons, for giving terrible ideas new life.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Olde Weird Tip posted:

How long have you been riding? I go through regular dry spells where its almost a chore to get on the bike. Then something always happens and I rediscover my love for riding.

What sort of riding is near you? Do you live in a large or small city? You'd be surprised what getting a small bike/scooter and scribbling around town finding alleys and interesting terrain can do for your love of riding.

Or a vintage bike.

My RD makes every ride interesting and fun. There is nothing like sitting in a parking lot swishing your gas around making the line fill because you're an idiot and thought because you could see gas, you're good.

So, basically, get a scooter or a vintage bike. Riding becomes fun again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

epswing posted:

I bought and have put about 5000km on my first bike, a 2005 GS500. I'm looking for a 2nd bike. Is it normal to basically want EVERY BIKE? Because this is getting out of hand.

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Become a loving millionaire.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gnaghi posted:

It's easy to scoop up some cool old CB or RD for kicks but I really don't think I'd get as much enjoyment per dollar. It's the same reason I can't bring myself to buy a car that isn't more than a beater. So much money for so little.

You obviously haven't ridden them, then. My lowly, drat near stock 250 has made a couple guys who ride 600s and liter bikes nervous. There's just something crazy about high strung two strokes that makes it so much more loving fun.

But wrenching in a parking lot does suck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone in the Portland area have a shop they prefer?

I have nowhere at all to work on my bike, and need tires put on and a chain. There's two shops near me, one won't touch a bike older than 1995, and the other wants close to 250 for tires and chain. :( I'm in Vancouver, but am willing to ride into Portland.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

:what:

What is the logic behind that?

No idea. Makes no loving sense to me, and the dude couldn't answer me when I asked him why, with anything other than "well, most shops won't touch old bikes..."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I can't believe in a city that big there isn't some kinda indie bike shop you can go to. What's wrong with the 250 though? If that's parts included, that doesn't sound crazy to me.

That's labor. As in, I bring the tires and chain. I'm sure there is an indie, I just don't know of any and if they're any good or not. :( Also, the one who won't touch old bikes was an indie that supposedly supports all forms of motorcycling and racing and enthusiast owned.

Unless you ride something that isn't a dirtbike or super sport, apparently.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, posted up at 2strokeworld and had three names and numbers in less than 10 minutes. I loving love the vintage community.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 5, 2012

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Marv Hushman posted:

Probably the same logic as older cars--because labor hours can rapidly exceed the street value of the vehicle, and small business owners can only handle being stiffed once or twice by people abandoning 1987 Yamaha Maxims. Some people still operate with a handshake and don't necessarily have contracts with the right legalese or the time/wherewithal to pursue deadbeats.

I really can't see tires and a chain turning into a 1000+ repair. That argument makes no sense. There's nothing more to doing it on an old bike versus a new one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

If a shop is stupid enough to do work on a bike that 50% of it's value without a deposit, they deserve to be burned and probably shouldn't be in business for themselves.. or even be able to use a fork without supervision.

To carte-blanche refuse a bike just because over XX years old is stupid... as your 3 year old stretched GSXR600 even shows.

Pretty much this.

You can have a 3 or 4 year old bike that has been treated like poo poo and has all those issues as well. And with the quality of 90% of the bikes I see up for sale, that's true more often than not.

It's whatever, though. Guy on 2SW gave me names/numbers for three different vintage repair shops in PDX.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

This is a pretty worst-case scenario, but I've seen a lot of little things in this vein at the shop I worked at. We saw a lot of 70s/80s japanese bikes, mostly beat-up, not taken care of, owned by college students, that kind of thing. And one typical thing that would happen is it needs a new clutch, and 5 of the 10 clutch cover screws (all phillips screws, because japan didn't know what the gently caress it was doing back then) are frozen, stripped out, requiring dremeling and impact hammering or drilling or whatever. That turns a 45 minute job into a 3 hour one. It's annoying to the shop and the customer, but it's common, especially on old japanese bikes.

Mostly we never had issues with people deadbeating out of their bills and leaving us with lovely bikes, but we did have to invest a fair amount of time having long conversations with people to manage their expectations if they brought in a barn find for repair. We'd give them the Z3n talk and tell them it could range from 150 to 800, that kind of thing.

Aren't they all JIS, not Phillips?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Marv Hushman posted:

They're also pushing watercraft and ATVs. Try getting someone to pick up the phone when people are buying cottage toys in bulk or when hunting season's around the corner. Where do you think a vintage UJM sits in this food chain?

Found an indie who not only has a set of take off BT45s for a song, he's discounting even more for a fellow two stroke rider.

I loving LOVE vintage bike guys. Seriously some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Helmets are in the minority here in AZ. It's pretty sad. I don't care THAT much, though. I kinda like it, in a way, cause I can use it as a simple visual measurement of how much I, as a BMW rider wearing full gear, am better than everyone else.

Saw a husband and wife earlier on matching BMWs with half helmets and Columbia jackets and pants on.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thylacine posted:

Aside from the protection against pavement, I don't understand what feels good about being hit in the face with rocks and bugs at 80 mph.

They're freedom bugs, motherfucker.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nsaP posted:

We have them here (at least I think) but I can't remember it ever being a problem. Hell I can't remember having to even move it, car or bike. Maybe you guys have stubby nozzles or something.

The ones here in SW Washington are terrible. Not everywhere has them, but the ones that do means that filling up is like trying to hold back a very large foreskin, it actually takes quite a bit of pressure, while at the same time trying not to get gas everywhere.

Stupidest loving poo poo ever.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gnaghi posted:

Yesterday I did an accidental wheelie from a dead stop on the new WRX while trying to leave the post office in a hurry cause I parked on the wrong side of the road to quickly drop off some mail. I must've looked like such an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I wheelies the RD on accident yesterday too. Seems to be a trend. I missed second gear, got pissed and when it went into gear I was already coming out with the clutch and rolling on hard. Front end came up and I almost poo poo myself since I didn't expect it.

Then I did two more on the way home cause drat that shits fun.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So I did a stupid thing.

I went to the Ducati dealership just to drool, and they had a used Monster 900. I sat on it. I rode it up and down the street.

Now I loving want it so drat bad it's not even funny :( 00 or 01 (pretty sure 2000, as it had a choke on the bars, and I think 01 started fuel injection) with 7500 miles. They're asking 5500.

Stupid, stupid idea.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The best sound I've heard a bike make was an M900 with Termi carbon mufflers. Get it.

It has carbon mufflers on it. It sounded loving evil, and amazing, and just...gently caress. It also had the open clutch cover, which is just an awesome loving noise in my mind.

I knew this was the wrong place to post this.

Enablers.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frunksock posted:

I don't know about the M900, but my S2R is fuel injected, yet still has a 'fast idle lever' which I wouldn't know from a choke by looking at it.

You know, that might make sense. If I remember he DID say it was an 01, but on first glance I took it as a choke. You're probably right, and now I feel stupid. I've never dealt with an EFI bike, so I saw the thumb lever and went "welp, carb'd"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

Great bike but jesus christ 5.5k for a 10 year old monster? That's insane.

That seems to be the going rate on 900s with less than 20K miles, from the little bit of looking I've done. 20K and the price drops to 3500-4000. Less than 10K miles, and it's at least 5000.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ifire posted:

I ride a Honda Rebel (I know, get a real bike, etc) and people usually wave to me first. I guess people where I am are just really friendly. Either that or it's a sympathy wave. :smith:

Fake edit: I think it's a sympathy wave.

No one in here is going to tell you to get a real bike for riding a Rebel. I wish more people would ride them.

That said, I wave to everyone. Except Harleys, unless they wave first. Sportsters usually get a wave just because they tend not to be ridden by douchebags.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
These loving clubmans on my bike have to go.

It's either ditch them, or I'm going to have to do rear sets and a cafe seat.

Did 220 miles today and my wrists feel like they're going to snap.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Crayvex posted:

How many miles do you normally ride? You can have the most comfy bike on the planet and you'll still feel like poo poo until your body is used to it.

The riding position is more extreme than any super sport with clip ons. I ride 60-70 miles a day on it normally. After 10 minutes my wrists and back hurt and it never gets better, even after months of riding it. Unless I put my rear end all the way to the back of the seat, and lean until my chin is on the tank, my arms aren't comfortable.

Then renthal bars idea does sound like a loving hoot though. I'll have to think about that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So the owner of the Harley dealer here on Guam wrecked last night. Hit a median at like 2am I guess.

No helmet, of course. You can guess the result. But I bet he looked cool.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Saga posted:

Another case of Guam, bam!, thank you ma'am?

This is a sad day for CAHOG. As we all know, Guam Bam was the third member (after Layer Dan and Rod Knock) and first Vietnamese member of CAHOG. Long time CA members will recall that Dan and Guam first met in a military prison in Da Lat back in '72, where Guam had a successful amphetamine business and Dan was under arrest for communicating syphilis to the entire 1 ID. A special relationship blossomed between the broke-dick GI and the winsome good-time boy from Nha Trang and years of prejudice melted like the hearts of these future brothers of the road during those stolen, passionate late night moments in a field toilet beneath the gently swaying conifers of their mountain home.

Few remember that in later years, it was Guam who nursed Dan back to health after his short but spectacular career as the world's worst speedway rider - the career that made his name and finds an enduring legacy in the Harley riders of today.

Hawg speed, Guam. We will never see your like again.

As much as I laughed, you have to mispronounce Guam so loving badly for that to make sense.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, I have a lot of rusty, pitted chrome on the RD. Most of it is gonna be replaced eventually, but in the meantime I'd at least like the chrome to not look rusty as poo poo.

I mentioned this to a buddy of mine who is a Harley guy, and he comes out with this gem: "Get some aluminum foil, wet it, and rub. Comes right off."

Holy. poo poo. It works like gangbusters.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, moving to San Diego area in late May/early June and will be grabbing another bike once I do.

Any good forums or sites for the area so I can start looking? Anywhere in California is fine, really.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Been lusting over the FZ09 since I saw them online a few months back. Finally back in the states, so went to have a look at one.

I was more cramped than on a fully faired bike, and in riding boots my heels would be getting stuck in the passenger peg mounts.

Welp. Back to the drawing board.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, I was pretty sad about it. I'm 6'-6'1, wear 10.5-11 shoes. With the balls of my feet on pegs, in pretty small gym shoes, my heels were juuuust clearing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh god bike ADD.

I think I have looked at every type of bike known to man this week, aside from a cruiser. Past few days has been Duke 690, 600 SS bikes, adventure bikes, and now tomorrow I'm meeting a guy and likely buying a ZRX1200.

Pretty sure if I mention another bike, my wife will drown me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ElMaligno posted:

The only solution I can think for you is to get two ZRX1200s.
:getin:

Well I just bought the one :gettin:

New front signals are being installed right now, and then taking her home. Such a beautiful beast of a bike.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ElMaligno posted:

Enjoy the ZREX Bro :getin::hf::getin:

Oh god this thing is going to get me in trouble.

Get comfy on the highway, don't even feel like I accelerated hard. Look down, and I'm doing 110. So fun.

I know the power isn't amazing by modern standards, but it's still more than any human needs. And the full Yoshi exhaust sounds like a million angry bees.

Edit:

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 21, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Had a literbike, had a ZRX. I can categorically say that the only time I miss the literbike is on those absolutely perfect roads. The rest of the time I wish I still had a ZRX. I need to find one with decent mileage and no crash damage so I can do terrible, terrible things to it.

This one is higher mileage at 32k, but all maintenance has been done on time and documented, previous owner owns an indie bike shop and it was his personal ride for a few years. Has the normal wear you'd expect on a 12 year old bike, but still in excellent shape and runs loving amazing.

It's technically a litre bike, but feels nothing like what I consider a litre bike. For one, it's comfy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, the ZRX I just bought? Front left caliper seized while I was doing ~30mph. Managed to keep it upright, and got it off the road.

Bled the front brakes on the side of the road, got everything moving again, and rode the .5 miles back to my in-laws.

Turn into the driveway, which is a steepish hill, and proceeded to have the world's slowest high side at maybe 2mph as it happened again.

Called the guy I bought it from, who runs an indie shop, and he is now replacing fork seals, master cylinder, and either replacing or rebuilding the calipers, depending how they look inside. Bike sat for over a year in his office, so I guess not too shocking that something went wrong. But he's taking care of it all, with zero cost to me and no hassle at all.

So, if you're in the central/south Florida area, I really can't overstate how awesome the guys at MoraMoto in St Pete are. Because it would have been super easy for him to just say "Oh well, used bike, as is."

So, lovely situation, but all in all, could have been much worse. And the customer service is amazing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Know what's amazing fun? Driving across Gandy Bridge, literally crossing Tampa Bay, at dusk. In a loving downpour. With 20-40mph crosswinds on the bridge.

That was an interesting ride.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Did my first real commute in California this morning.

Oh my god. Lane splitting is the best loving thing in the world. I'm still kind of slow with it, and knowing when I can do it, so sometimes I end up having to move over and let another bike by, but still. Amazing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Kind of loving CA, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

n8r posted:

This is a sarcasm post right? CA is cool but that picture features a bunch of smog and not much else.

Not really. After three years in Guam, before that being constantly deployed to the gulf, and before that living in Florida, that view is amazing. Mostly just because I haven't seen curves and nice roads in years.