Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Whoever decided to design my bike with a circuit breaker was a smart man. I accidentally put my new battery in backwards this weekend, realized my mistake, and looked for a blown fuse. Surprise, surprise, no blown fuses, but the bike wasn't working - one quick search later and I find there's a circuit breaker.

Is this a common feature on bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

never heard of it. what kinda bike? are you sure it's not some custom addon?

Absolutely sure; I found the reference to it on a model specific forum. It's an '89 GSX600F.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Well, I finally discovered one reason why my bike was running poorly last season - the PO had hooked up the tank vent lines to the carb vents rather than leaving them free to hang. Of course, my first attempt at rectifying the situation was a failure, mostly because I didn't realize that the carbs HAD vents, so I assumed these were vacuum ports that had to be plugged. Needless to say, the bike wouldn't stay running....

Now that I've corrected my stupidity, I'm happy to say my bike is running better than it ever has before.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
I'm heading on a 10 day tour from NJ to Atlanta, up to Johnson City, TN for the BMW MOA rally, back to Atlanta, and then back to NJ. If anyone is in those areas and wants to head out for a ride in that timeframe, feel free to PM me for contact info.

If you happen to see me, come say hi. I'll be on my '89 Katana.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

dietcokefiend posted:

Did any of that route you towards the Cincinnati area?

Looks like the closest we'll get is about 6 hours or so away.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Got back from my trip around 9 last night. I'll post a trip report eventually, but for now I'm enjoying being lazy.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

dietcokefiend posted:

I it could be a bright pink assbag inflatable circle and if it worked I wouldnt care.

Everyone I've met who has tried the wood/ceramic bead mats like these raves about them. My buddy now has them on his GSX-R 750 - they made what was left of our 2500 mile ride bearable.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Personally, I'm stuck deciding between an R1100S and a Triumph Sprint. I've never heard anything good about the ABS on the R1100S though, so you might want to reconsider that option.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

The g/f is considering buying it...she'd sell the Z1000 and we'd 2 up on distance on the ZZR1200. :ohdear:

So you'll be sitting on back then?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

You should buy that.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_750_s_sport_1973.php

I mean, like...NOW. If it's in even decent condition, buy buy buy.

Hey, look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974...=item2eaa1921dc

23k. Holy poo poo.

Go buy that motorcycle. The 73 is the first year of the L twin. That's a seriously iconic motorcycle.

If I weren't in NJ, I'd be buying it. Today.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

if you guys are so hot on it, jsut paypal together a buy-in and then sell it together and split whatever you get.

form an llc! There must be an A/T thread for stuff like this.

I already offered to front the money, but z3n is greedy.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Spiffness posted:

I'm too lazy to collect the pictures on this slow connection but how does a Desmosedici trike strike you?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-desmosedici-rr-trike-concept/#more-8986

At least it is the correct kind of trike.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Gnaghi posted:

Ok, added The Fastest Indian to my movie list.

Is it some unwritten rule to not use a front pit stand without a rear? I put my front up to change the wheel and not only did it come off the stand (I held it up) but it felt wobbley as hell. I only can put one side up at a time since the bike is in a small space and I've been fearing for it all day at work.

With every stand I've read the directions for it's actually a written rule.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Ola posted:

I have Ubuntu on my work desktop and some other god forsaken distro on 6 or 7 servers. Hate it. Then Windows XP on 100-ish other servers and maybe 700 clients. So simple, predictable and lovely. Win 7 at home. Love it. So there!

I submit that you've simply grown used to the clusterfuck that is so much of the Windows world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

That's really expensive. Maybe I'm spoiled by CA, but you can get trackdays for sub 100$ in this economy with 7-8 20 to 30 minute sessions. Or open trackdays for slightly more.

California track days are cheaper than East Coast track days, partly because you fuckers don't have seasons.