Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nerobro posted:

My brain seems to process bicycles as motorcycles. I end up waving to them as well. I get weird looks in return.

Me too. As long as they're on the street, I wave. I don't bother if they're on a sidewalk. I've got about a 50/50 wave back from cyclists.

Out in the country, I wave at pretty much everyone but cars. People walking, cops, cyclists, horseback riders, and even the occasional person out mowing their law.

As for riders, I almost always get a wave from dual sport/ADV riders, usually from sport bike riders, and occasionally from cruisers. I ride a small Japanese cruiser. The further I am from town, the more waves, I get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

loving ouch

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+motion-motorcycle-collision-on-tail-of-the-dragon

Anyone else see that?

In the picture thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=76#post357799832

I put up a gif a few posts afterwards.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bob Sapp Please posted:

The only thing I can think of is if your bike breaks down you can lock the forks and keep the parking lights/hazards on so no one slams into your bike on the side of the road, and reduces the chances of it being stolen while you hike down the road for help.

My manual says it's so you can have your rear lights on while packing up, mounting, dismounting the bike when it is parked on the street at night, which I guess would be useful if I weren't in the habit of starting my bike before doing anything else. Breaking down and not getting the engine to start back up would be the only time I'd use it.

I guess my bike's a little different as the key is low on the right side near the engine and I have a separate lock for my forks up near the steering head.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The one thing I get, either from non-bikers or bikers that don't wear gear, is that it's hot or stiff or heavy or just plain uncomfortable. People don't realize that most of the guys designing motorcycle gear are riders. They understand the need to be comfortable and warm/cool/dry/etc. Yeah, I might not want to walk far in my boots and leather pants, but I can sit on the bike all day wearing that stuff while jeans start to chafe in under an hour.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

As long as his helmet's undamaged, all is right with the world!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kinda related, but am I stupid for turning on my left turn signal when I park on the shoulder of the road? I never do it on busy roads, but I sometimes stop to rest/drink/take pictures and I figure the left turn signal would give a little bit of visibility to the bike and if someone where to hit it, it would be on the left side and away from me (I tend to stand well away from the shoulder. On the other hand, it could lead to target fixation.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 2, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

waptang posted:

Indiana doesn't have a helmet law either. I was surprised the other day to see a guy ride by on a cruiser with a full-face helmet. Just about everybody I see is wearing nothing but sunglasses.

I'm that guy. Love my FF.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Speaking of cruisers and foot forward: I saw a parked bike recently, some sort of cruiser, that had the big pipe "engine guard" or whatever, huge loop of pipe that stuck out a foot on either side of the frame just behind the front wheel.

There were pegs on said loop, a good foot ahead of even the forward driver pegs. What in the hell are those pegs for? Do people actually prop their feet up like they're resting them on their office desk? I'd think you'd be almost Barca-lounger kicked back if you used those pegs. Or do they have some other use I'm missing?

The huge loop of pipe is indeed an engine guard, used to protect the vital parts in case of a tip over. The pegs are indeed "highway pegs" used to rest your feet when cruising on the highway. A lot of people install engine guards specifically to mount highway pegs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I was teaching a friend to ride on the 75 CB200 that we have...long story short, he managed to wheelie it and them dump it directly on his ankle. Thankfully, I had him wear my old set of A* SMX Pluses, gloves, an old helmet, and a long sleeve shirt/jeans and he walked away with no injuries. I'd imagine that what you have there could have been him if he hadn't been wearing the boots.

Someone at my MSF class did the same thing from a dead stop. She rode out the day, but couldn't walk the next day and didn't come in. Was only wearing over the ankle boots; nothing fancy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Madras Bulls of Tamil Nadu, for riders of Royal Enfield Bullet motorbikes. Basically, a pre-WWII design that they're still cranking out in India. They're awesome-looking bikes:

drat, but I wish the US still made/imported <500cc Standards.

You can buy them in the US. There's a dealer not far from me.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have 12 issues of Cycle World and four issues of All Metric Road Bike from 2008 if anyone wants them. You pay for shipping.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3121485

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My folks and I were talking about violence and poo poo (great conversation for Mother's Day lunch, I know) and I thought of the guy who shot the motorcycle rider in the back. The rider had some sort of accident with the dude's daughters and followed them home. When he was driving by a second time, Dad shot the kid in the back.

What ever happened with that? It kinda fell off my radar. Last I heard, the dad was in jail awaiting trial.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jeez. It was a bullshit shooting, but I wasn't expecting him to get life.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I don't know...what is a reasonable sentence for shooting someone in the back?

I'm not saying life isn't reasonable, just that I didn't expect him to get it. I was expecting something like 15 years. Actually, before the reports that the cops were going full bore to put him away, I was expecting him to get off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nerobro posted:

<---- Cyclist.

When I'm on the road, I behave like a car. Or bike.. as the case may be. And i'm not an rear end about it. I'ts just plain not safe to ride on sidewalks. :-/

I don't cycle that often any more, but I almost exclusively ride on sidewalks. It's not like anyone walks anywhere in my neighborhood, and if they are, I take the grass.

I really need to get a helmet and riding more often. :effort:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The NonBornKing posted:

Seriously people, buy a helmet that fits! And then make sure that it's actually attached to your head when you ride.

My buddy takes the time to put on his properly sized full face helmet, and then doesn't do up the strap. I don't get it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone near Columbus want a rightous trike?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1182953825.html

I also constantly try shifting into 7th while cruising. I just don't pay attention when shifting, which causes problems when I want to get into 2nd and don't know for sure that I'm not in 1st or 3rd instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

By not wearing a helmet, you help increase the amount of organ donations in your state. More of a reason not to wear a lid; in addition to letting freedom enter the ground, you become a more helpful citizen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mans Ruin posted:

I know cruisers dont corner as fast as sportier bikes, but leaning in to the curve just feels 100% WRONG to me. I guess I'm trying too hard to keep the bike upright, not letting it lean at all.

If you lean your body away from the curve, you are actually leaning the bike itself more. By leaning into the curve, the bike stays more upright. This is good because it lets you take a turn faster before scraping hard parts or losing traction and gives you more room if you need to turn harder to avoid an obstacle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

8ender posted:

I saw one pull out the other day in London and the guy gave it some beans. I was expecting awesome but it actually looked really loving scary when he lit it up. All over the road. :(

I've seen one parked here and there around here. Only once did I see one on the road and the guy managed to stall it at a light.

Still, wouldn't mind taking one for a spin.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, but it seems like they just started appearing on the roads a week ago or something. I just saw 5 or so in the last week, after having not seen any in months.

I've been seeing them for a long time. I think the first one I saw was late last year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dubs posted:

Question though, As i live in the land of year round riding. How should i store the tank for a few months? Or does a few months not matter after 30 years? I cant see much in the way of rust in the tank at first look.

If you have fuel in the tank, pour in some Sta-Bil. If not, it can't hurt to lightly coat the inside with a film of oil.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Note to self: if it's raining out, put your helmet on before walking out to the bike. Otherwise, rain on both sides of the visor and both sides of your glasses and you can't see anything until you stop and towel off.

Note to self 2: carry a towel somewhere so you can towel off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It wasn't fog. It was rain drops all over the inside of my visor and both sides of my glasses. It was a bit of a downpour.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, my brakes suck for the first stop, but they stay okay after that. I was riding around a large town with lots of stop and go without a problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MiamiKid posted:

Were you heading up to Chicago? I know 65 has had a lot of construction on it lately.

Construction around Chicago? I know I-55, I-355, I-80, I-88 are all under construction, plus I-74 and I-39 further south and west, and all the major back country roads.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ranathari posted:

Put your left foot on the left peg first, stand up on it and then swing your right leg over.

I haven't gotten comfortable with the left peg thing. With my textile overpants, I can get enough of a swing to kick my leg over. With my stiffer leathers, I just lift my leg with my hand and place it over the seat. Yeah, I look like a weak pansy, but what are you gonna do?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Other than totally overloading the rear rack on my bike, nothing out of the ordinary. I did follow my friend when he rode with a chainsaw sticking out from the back of his bike. That was interesting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

ATGATT thread link, guy and rider got rashed pretty bad.

>>Don't click if you're squeamish.<<
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html

I guess my "cousin" (long story) fell off the back of a motorcycle yesterday wearing no gear and a mini skirt. Says she's got road rash all over her rear end and is lucky she didn't get run over. Also, no insurance, so she's taking care of the injuries herself. Reminded me of this story.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Or that it won't help because you're brain smashes into the front of your skull during a wreck and you'll just end up a vegetable and people would rather be dead than paralyzed.

It's counter-intuitive, but not wearing a helmet is more likely to result in you ending up with brain damage or being a vegetable. The reason is that if you hit something hard enough for that to happen while wearing a helmet, you will likely die from other massive injuries anyway. However, a minor tipover without a helmet that normally would have you walking away laughing could cause massive brain damage without a lid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chairon posted:

gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Melted a drat hole in my pants! I can't figure out how it happened either. It's on my outside right leg. The only thing near it is the muffler, and it's six inches behind it. And it's not on the inside or back, where I could accidentally rest my leg on it or anything. And my wrist is about to fall off from the clutch. Holy jesus.

I did that. I think it happened when I was standing on the left side of the bike and leaned over to hit the starter. Or maybe when I was securing luggage. I didn't notice until I took them off, which means they did the job preventing me from getting injured.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

I always wondered why they always had exhaust to the front, but figured it was a holdover from the days when they were all air cooled.

There as a bit in Cycle World about it a long time ago. Something about needing to do it so they could engineer the proper air box/intake runners/exhaust manifolds. Turned around made it difficult to get the proper lengths or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I took my bike out for a real ride for the first time in two weeks. Also, my first time in real traffic in a while. I rode to downtown Chicago and took Lake Shore Drive as far north as it would go. I've always wanted to get on LSD. Feels good to get out there again. I went from noon until 1:30, so the traffic wasn't too bad. I want to go down Michigan Ave. some time, but that's gonna be more dealing with lights and other cars. I should do that at like midnight on a Tuesday or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What's a good day and time to go out there after sunset? I don't want to deal with the remnants of rush hour traffic, but I don't want to go so late that I have to worry about drunk drivers and such.

EDIT: Nice. I'm used to 2 am last call in P-Town.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 18, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't know. The kid seems to have protective gear and a helmet. Depending on how well the seat is put on (I thought for a second it was dust tape, but I didn't look closely enough), it seems safer than the other stories earlier in the thread. Not that I would do it.

And a Harley car seat with handlebars sounds like something that would sell; hopefully to people that will use it in a car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

Roll cage baby :cool:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

Seriously. As a Cali biker, I just don't understand why the riders in the other 49 states haven't had a straight-up revolt.

The motorcycle organizations seem content fighting helmet laws instead of doing something useful for all bikers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm going to be doing 2.5 hours on the interstate with 50 degrees and rain on the forecast on Monday. This is going to suck. I hope my Olympia AST keeps the wind and rain out and the long underwear I plan on wearing keeps me warm.

I haven't been on the bike in three weeks, either, so I'm not used to riding in low temps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a balaclava, but a scarf is a good idea. I have some waterproof gloves that I don't like and some leather gloves that are just as warm with glove liners inside. I'm going to wear the leather ones until they get wet and switch them out. No heated grips and I doubt my bike puts out enough electricity to power some, but I might try hitting the motorcycle store and seeing if they have battery powered gloves.

VVVVVV I have three pairs from Wal-Mart that I got last year. They'll be in my bag.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

How do you fall asleep on a motorcycle :confused:

I've almost done it twice. Once was a too long ride without eating and not being smart enough to stop. The second was thankfully a much shorter trip home from work where I was so exhausted, holding the bike up at lights was a chore. I don't ride tired anymore. Hell, I stopped commuting to work when I was a tiny bit tired for fear of having to ride back home later completely exhausted.